Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,445 members, 7,819,644 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:49 PM

Yar'adua Declares His Assets - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yar'adua Declares His Assets (8796 Views)

Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? / Breaking: Finally, He Declares His Asset! / Buhari Declares His Assets On Facebook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by auwal87(m): 2:25pm On Jun 29, 2007
Should we Trust 'Yar Adua?
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by bigspif(m): 3:35pm On Jun 29, 2007
Yar'adua should definately be commended for such a gaint example, before i forget i want to make a point of correction to the first poster saying Yaradua has 3 wives (i dont know where he got that info from), Yar'adua has only 1 wife not 3.

I dare OBJ, Andy Uba, Odili, Goodluck etc to decleare thier own assets.
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by denex: 3:55pm On Jun 29, 2007
@big spif

don't dare Andy Uba O! He has already declared more than N1trillion. You want him to do more?!

@McKren

it is very honourable for you to admit your mistake. I personally believe if Yar had N150 assets in his businesses as at 1999 and that amount did not multiply over 8 years to N1 billion, then how can he take Nigeria's assets of $50billion to $500billion in 4 years? He must be a good and productive manager to manage Nigeria. And from what I can see, he hasn't done bad. He hasn't done bad at all but he can do better.
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by TerraCotta(m): 4:27pm On Jun 29, 2007
McKren:

Well I have been unable to trace the source in the leadership archive where I once read it.

But am sure I read it when an ANPP chieftain in Katsina stated how much he declared in 1999 and accused him of awarding state contracts to family owned bussinesses in the run up to the elections.

However it looks like I misplaced the figure, it may not be 150million but approximately 500million. If the latter is the case then may be am not being fair to him. As his latest figure of 900million will mean he made 400million in 8years as Governor of Katsina (average of 50million annually).

But then people must realise that the act of asset declaration should not be used as a means of political spin nor should the asset declaration form be percieved as certificate of good character. It should rather be a reference or benchmark for which we will in future access our leaders. So people should be more concerned scrutinizing the details rather than eulogising the act.

However because he made history as the first President or Head of State to have done that, and not giving into the senseless spin that "Asset declaration must not be made public" (God knows what the word declaration means as Femi Falana will have it).

So on this note I think the act is commendable.

McKren--not to join the chorus of your praise singers, but people like you are rare on this forum. Most people would have ignored the request for info on Yar'Adua's 1999 declaration, but you were honorable enough to look for it and to admit a possible error. I agree with you--it's a great development in our political culture for future presidents to emulate, but we do need to know how his assets were developed and how much they have grown since he took office. I've read that he declared assets during his two terms as governor, so this shouldn't be hard to do.

All in all, a good step forward for the new Nigeria.
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by McKren(m): 4:31pm On Jun 29, 2007
Thanks guys, thought I will be crucified for my error
This goes a long way to affirm my belief that Nairaland is a place to learn, there is surely a lot to learn here smiley smiley smiley
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by denex: 4:40pm On Jun 29, 2007
True
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by Cotton(m): 4:43pm On Jun 29, 2007
All Contributors to this thread

I love nairaland. I haven't been a member for very long, but when i read the arguments, positions, and reasoning of our members, my faith in Nigeria and Nigerians is renewed.

We are truly a nation of great people and great minds. I just wish that our leadership can give us a chance to show what we can do.

Seun, you try!!!
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by dreamnaira(m): 6:16pm On Jun 29, 2007
dis man is a saint if after serving for 8yrs as a Governor he culd only worth below billion while his counterpart worth trillions. It worth emulating.
    Who says he was overvalued should look at other governor that worth below 100m before becoming governor bt 2day billionaires.

infact this man is really a servant leader if he wll continue wth that.
I love that.
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by 2old4that(m): 6:24pm On Jun 29, 2007
big spif:

I dare OBJ, Andy Uba, Odili, Goodluck etc to decleare their own assets.

Good!
And James Ibori too should declare his assets. He was/is the most richest governor at the moment.
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by Pain(m): 8:27pm On Jun 29, 2007
the guy tried abeg, if i were in his shoes, i wouldnt do it. The figures i hear now are varying some say 850 , punch even went as high over 900. abi addition don hard.

Don't You Know Share Prices Fluctuate On A Daily Basis? shocked shocked
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by Mamajama(m): 9:29pm On Jun 29, 2007
Good idea by Yar Adua a good leader must lead by example. That does not mean he won't be corrupt. One of his best agenda so far that I admire is seeking to include the opposition party in his administration. this is the only way to unite and move Nigeria in a good direction. Trait of a successful leaders. they always seek people that are different from them. we need right side/left side thinkers to move this troubled nation forward.
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by HAH: 9:37pm On Jun 29, 2007
Someone said yaradua was a lecturer where did he make that much mine you he left the classroom in 1987( stand to be corrected) and this guys father was a minster in the first republic and his elderbrother 2ic diring obj milary regime and was governor for 8 years haba. If what he has declared is true then i think Nigeria is starting to see the light. But governance is a collective thing and he should be able to carry the wishes of Nigerian ordinary people and not PDP (people destruction party).
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by Mamajama(m): 9:50pm On Jun 29, 2007
you can declare all the assets you want and still be as corrupt and a tortoise. Who will question allthe contracts that goes under the carpets? remember people it is LEGAL to accept gift in Nigeria. But i think Yar adua will do good in Nigeria.
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by kokoA(m): 9:56pm On Jun 29, 2007
@ mc krean

I respect you for believing in Nigeria.
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by warfarian(m): 10:05pm On Jun 29, 2007
WHO R THEY FOOLING? HEHEHEHHEHEH NIGERIANS MAKES ME LAUGH!!!!!!!! HA HA HA HA , THIS IS ANOTHER FORMAT, [IF YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT I MEAN.] AT LEAST  ITS HIGH TIME THE PRESIDENCY REALISE THAT NIGERIANS HAS OUTGROWN THAT KIND OF JOKE, YOU DONT EXPECT THE PRESIDENT TO USE THE SAME OLD FORMAT HIS BOSS USED, HE NEEDS TO CHANGE THE FORMAT, SO THAT HE CAN RECEIVE RESPONSES FROM WE MAGAS, JUST LIKE SOME OF US HAS RESPONDED BY COMMENDING HIM, LOL, I SORRY FOR THIS COUNTRY.

UNTIL A REVOLUTION TAKES PLACE IN THIS COUNTRY, WE WILL GO NO WHERE, WHAT CHANGES GHANA'S STORY, THE REVOLUTION THAT OCCURS THAT PERIOD MUST ALSO TAKE PLACE IN NIGERIA, IF NOT, LOL, E GO HARD US

ALL THE SAME MAY GOD TOUGH THEIR MIND/HEART TO LEAD US WELL, because THEY THEMSELVES DONT HAVE ANYTHING INTENTION OF HELPING US, BUT RATHER FOR THIER POCKET
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by naijaway(m): 10:20pm On Jun 29, 2007
A good symbol from Nigeria. We know we have credibility issues and someone who neccessarily didn't need to did declare his asset to the nation. Now any other leader would be required or expected to declare their assets and before you know it, it would be before election that anyone for the top post and other national post would be required to declear their assets. And it could go further to other stuffs, but this is HISTORY and a step forward for the nation.
God bless Nigeria.
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by kokoA(m): 10:38pm On Jun 29, 2007
@ warfarian

People like you that never say anything good about nigeria, will bow your heads in shame in a few years from now. I can assure you that.

You are talking about Ghana huh? Did you also know that Ghanians suffered the worst human rights violation under Jerry Rawllings? after their so called "revolution". Can you compare ghana's economy to that of Our country now?

If you don't believe in your country, you can as well leave to a foreing land and be treated as a second-class citizen. But as long as most nigerians (as you can see on this forum) believe in nigeria, it will surely change. So is very very insignificat if you love nigeria or not. THE VOICE OF THE PEOPLE IS THE VOICE OF GOD. and the people have hailed yar'adua!

GO PLAN YOUR REVOLUTION ALONE !
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by denex: 10:54pm On Jun 29, 2007
Did somebody say revolution? Where were dey when Abacha was strangling this country dead? So we are celebrating the best president we will have this century and others are planning to uproot the government.

WAFARIAN, we are now seeing the way things happen in the NigerDelta.

Happy Revolution!
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by jiggaman24(m): 11:50pm On Jun 29, 2007
@WOFARIAN,
WHY DONT U JUST STICK TO UR YAHOO YAHOO WAYS, AND LEAVE NIGERIAN MATTERS ALONE, BLODDY YAHOO YAHOO BOY,
SOME PEOPLE JUST THINK COS THEY ARE WAITNG TO GET REPLIES FROM THE VICTIMS THEY CAN JUST USE THE TIME AND POST NONSENCE ON NAIRA LAND.
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by kokoA(m): 12:09am On Jun 30, 2007
denex:

Did somebody say revolution? Where were dey when Abacha was strangling this country dead? So we are celebrating the best president we will have this century and others are planning to uproot the government.

WAFARIAN, we are now seeing the way things happen in the NigerDelta.

Happy Revolution!

No mind the warri boy. What have all the revolutionary tendencies they have been putting up in the niger delta done to aliviate their sufferings? Nothing! rather they have got more hardship and now their eyes don clear, they want dialouge.
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by obong(m): 12:38am On Jun 30, 2007
Obong

Verify your post before sending next time. The guy retired from lecturing long ago to joing the private sector, serving in the board of different companies and purchasing securities long before joining politics.

We nigerians are never satisfied for once. Obj never declared his assets and no body quesioned him, now because declared his asset and happen to be a rich man, you call him a thief. It is unfair. That means all the rich men in your country are theives abi?

you are right. i should have added first that he has done well by doing this. now we have to create a system that shows his declaration is in fact legit.

i never called him a thief though. i jsut wish it was easier to know how he got the loot
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by Femtex(m): 12:46am On Jun 30, 2007
I think this is good for the nation. A leader must lead by example. The man Yaradua has raised the stake by setting certain standards for other political figures, public office holder to emulate. I think his idea should be commended rather than pouring cold water on it. The amount of money he declared should not even be the problem here, How is this going to affect the nation starting from now should be the talk of the city. How good will it be, If Baba had actually declared his asset back in 1999 and 2003. The question we need to be asking ourselves should be; is this trend going continue starting with the vice, other political figure (Are they going to declare their asset as well)? Are the Senate and House going to pass a law which will require all seating president to declare all their asset? Also, are we (EFCC, IPC, Law makers and holders) going to capitalize on this asset declaring, if negativity or some form of corruption arouse from it.
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by DisGuy: 12:47am On Jun 30, 2007
In our Friday, June 29, 2007 edition of The PUNCH, the value of President Umaru Yar‘Adua‘s assets was put at N945.4m, including the loan liabilities of N88,793,269.77 from some banks.

But the President‘s assets are actually worth N856,452,892 - made up of money in banks, cash at hand, value of properties, and two farms.
We had counted the outstanding loans as part of his assets. The error is regretted.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20070630226114
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by warfarian(m): 2:33am On Jun 30, 2007
YOU GUYS CAN SAY WHATEVER YOU LIKE, I AM NOT SAYING THAT I DONT BLIEVE MY COUNTRY OR AS IF I AM NOT PROUD TO BE A NIGERIAN, NEITHER AM I A YAHU BOY, I READ NEWS PAPERS EVERYDAY, I LISTEN TO NEWS WHENEVER ITS NEWS TIME, I WATCH TLK SHOWS AND ALL THAT, I GET INFORMATIONS, WITH ALL I HAE GATHERED, THIS PRESENT ADMINISTRATION CANNOT TAKE US ANYWHERE, TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT, THIS IS ANOTHER STYLE TO CAPTURE THE MIND OF SOME NIGERIANS AND ,MAKE THE, BELIVE THEY R THE SERVANT LEADER THEY CLAIMED.

OBASANJO IS NOW THE NEW CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES, I REMEMBER THE BIBLE SAYS THAT THE HEART OF A KING IS IN THE HAND OF THE MOST HIGH GOD, WITHOUT GODS INTERVENTION, AND OUR PROTEST AGAINST SELVISH INTEREST OF OUR LEADERS, LOL, MEM, WELL SHA, MAKE I NO TLK AGAIN FOR NOW

WE KNOW WHATS UP, WE NO DEY TLK TOO MUCH
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by ThoniaSlim(f): 2:39am On Jun 30, 2007
what is wrong with Nigerians? a man comes out and declares his assets, and we criticize him? why can't we just be positive for once, i think thats why Nigeria does not make progress because they do not have a positive outlook. for God's sake which other president has ever come out to declare his asset. this is progress, there are high chances he might just turn out to be better than Obj.
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by kokoA(m): 2:44am On Jun 30, 2007
ThoniaSlim:

what is wrong with Nigerians? a man comes out and declares his assets, and we criticize him? why can't we just be positive for once, i think thats why Nigeria does not make progress because they do not have a positive outlook. for God's sake which other president has ever come out to declare his asset. this is progress, there are high chances he might just turn out to be better than Obj.

thank you my sister!
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by arizona(m): 2:51am On Jun 30, 2007
I think the man should be commended for the Job well done. Some People alway think that Nigeria will continue to be  bad that nothing good will ever come out from their leaders.  i think we are now in transitional period of our democracy, if things continue this way, Nigeria will be a big country to talk about. look at Anambra scenario, since that state was created, there was never a good Governess in that state until Ngige came in although he came through back door. But he made his people see what is like to have a good Government.The point i am trying to make is that, we may see that kind of leadership in this President.
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by kokoA(m): 2:58am On Jun 30, 2007
arizona:

I think the man should be commended for the Job well done. Some People alway think that Nigeria will continue to be bad that nothing good will ever come out from their leaders. i think we are now in transitional period of our democracy, if things continue this way, Nigeria will be a big country to talk about. look at Anambra scenario, since that state was created, there was never a good Governess in that state until Ngige came in although he came through back door. But he made his people see what is like to have a good Government.The point i am trying to make is that, we may see that kind of leadership in this President.

Bottle of beer and plate of peppersoup for you my brother!
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by comechop(m): 3:07am On Jun 30, 2007
Not to join the club, but i must comment [/b]McKren[b] on his attitude in this forum.
Oga pls consider going into politics, for we need better people like abeg.
And that Ikwerre tout [/b]warfarian[b] should pls keep his ridiculous and radical views to himself. Why war in the midst of peace? Give peace a chance my brother.
But let us not for get our brother McKren's viewpoint, yes it is a commendable act that he came clean, but we should not be blinded by the act.
Please re-read his input:

"But then people must realise that the act of asset declaration should not be used as a means of political spin nor should the asset declaration form be percieved as certificate of good character. It should rather be a reference or benchmark for which we will in future access our leaders. So people should be more concerned scrutinizing the details rather than eulogising the act."
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by chiegemba(f): 3:18am On Jun 30, 2007
@topic; read dat 2day on yahoo news. Just hopin 4 somethin positive 2 become of nigeria soonest "keepin my fingers crossed" wink
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by Nobody: 3:45am On Jun 30, 2007
its cool isn't it, but will the guvnors and ministers follow siut?
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by sartorius(m): 9:03am On Jun 30, 2007
NLC queries Yar’Adua’s assets declaration

Speaking last night, NLC’s Head of Information, Comrade Owei Lakemfa said labour will always welcome anything done towards ensuring transparency in government, but will definitely not overlook some aspects that need looking into.

"Anything that is done towards ensuring transparency in government will be welcomed. However, some questions arise.

"Who authenticated it to know they (the assets) are true? How much tax does he pay on such wealth? What were Yar’Adua’s assets before he became governor? And what is the difference between the then assets and the ones he just declared?"

The NLC demanded to know the motive for the assets declaration, asking if it was not a public relations or image laundering stunt.

"The President is a beneficiary of political corruption since everybody knows how he got to office."

The NLC spokesman enjoined the President to explain the source of the wealth properly to convince Nigerians that he means well.

About the monies explained in the assets declaration as "campaign and post campaign contributions", Lakemfa said monies donated to parties and candidates for campaign cannot be regarded as personal money.

"If there are contributions for campaign, it does not become personal money. So we need a holistic approach to cleansing our country," he said.

http://www.thenationonlineng.com/dynamicpage.asp?id=23706

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Much Does A Local Govt. Councillor Earn In A Month? / Ajimobi Presents N160.6b 2012 Budget To Oyo Assembly. Compare. / 2015 Polls Will Be Free, Fair –jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.