Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,108 members, 7,811,120 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:31 AM

I Am Lucky To Be Alive — Grace Abdu, VOA Reporter Arrested By Army In Oyigbo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Am Lucky To Be Alive — Grace Abdu, VOA Reporter Arrested By Army In Oyigbo (28489 Views)

Soldiers Arrest Grace Abdu, VOA Journalist For Interviewing Resident Of Oyigbo / Boko Haram Members Catching Fun - VOA (Throwback Video) / Sanusi Lamido Sanusi Arrives Lagos - VOA Journalist, Saleh Shehu Ahmed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am Lucky To Be Alive — Grace Abdu, VOA Reporter Arrested By Army In Oyigbo by MyopicMods: 4:45pm On Nov 29, 2020
Service Producer of the Voice of America (VOA) Grace Alheri Abdu, has said she was lucky to be alive after soldiers held her in Oyigbo, Oyigbo Local Government Area (LGA), Rivers state, for five hours as she paid a media investigative visit to the volatile area.

Andu was arrested and detained by the soldiers at about 2pm Saturday till about 7pm when she regained freedom after several alleged interventions by key stakeholders.

The VOA personality who said the soldiers who held her were “all drunk and intoxicated”, narrated that, “They told me to thank my God that I was a female journalist, and not from any of the media houses based in Port Harcourt otherwise they would have wasted me and that nothing would happen.”

The soldiers had allegedly accused her of running live broadcast of her assignment in Oyigbo, as well as transmitting military operations in the volatile area live without permission.

She denied the allegations, claiming that as soon arriving Oyigbo, dropped off by a relation, also a journalist, she walked down to a group of soldiers by the Oyigbo Expressway, and introduced herself.

She further claimed she sought their permission to snap photo shots of the burnt Oyigbo Police Station with one of the soldiers responding that since it was a police station, it was only the police that could grant her request or otherwise.

The soldiers were said to have been infuriated when, in defiance of their caution, the VOA reporter had moved to the area of the burnt police station, and with no single policeman on sight, clicked her camera on the scene.

Interventions that led to her release include a statements from the United States Embassy in Nigeria directed at the Nigerian military hierarchy, those from the West African Journalists’ Association, WAJA, foreign and local rights groups.

Spokesman of the 6 Division, Nigerian Army, Maj Charles Ekeocha could not be reached for reaction to the development at the time of filing this report.

Rights activist, Enefaa Georgewill, one of the persons who hyped Abdu’s arrest said his Rivers Civil Society Organisations would not bow to “dictatorship”.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/11/i-am-lucky-to-be-alive-voa-reporter-arrested-by-army-in-oyigbo/

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Lucky To Be Alive — Grace Abdu, VOA Reporter Arrested By Army In Oyigbo by Nobody: 4:45pm On Nov 29, 2020
Seems Air Vice Marshall Nyesom Wike Is not yet done with Oyigbo people.

By now Soldiers supposed to have vacated the community. What are they still doing there?

Wike can't come on media to say one thing and behind encouraging ethnic cleansing to be going on.

Why is Governor Nyesom Wike hell bent of wiping the people of Oyigbo out from the surface of this earth. Is he looking for new land to conquer for his Ikwerre people?

Recently the media authoritatively states as reported by premium and guard that over 30 Igbos were gruesomely Murdered In cold blood under Wike's directive and nearly 40 something currently missing and over 60 in hospital for various varying degrees of injuries all on the order of Wike.

Do not by any means blame President Buhari for the death of these souls because he did what he could do as president but Wike boasted on television that he will kill as many igbo as possible and nothing will happen.

It is on note that president Buhari had to actively Intervene and pull the armies Wike invited to Oyigbo to kill back to their barracks.

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Am Lucky To Be Alive — Grace Abdu, VOA Reporter Arrested By Army In Oyigbo by Mokason288(m): 4:48pm On Nov 29, 2020
It seems like the Nigerian Army derives Joy and pleasure in killing unarmed civilians

It’s high time I stopped sympathizing with their family after Boko boys do to them what they do to unarmed civilians

I HOPE I MADE SENSE

130 Likes 11 Shares

Re: I Am Lucky To Be Alive — Grace Abdu, VOA Reporter Arrested By Army In Oyigbo by Kyase1: 4:50pm On Nov 29, 2020
Thank God for your life......
Next time avoid Rivers with wike as governor

3 Likes

Re: I Am Lucky To Be Alive — Grace Abdu, VOA Reporter Arrested By Army In Oyigbo by Mutemenot(m): 4:52pm On Nov 29, 2020
sad our fvckup 'll soon be treated

1 Like

Re: I Am Lucky To Be Alive — Grace Abdu, VOA Reporter Arrested By Army In Oyigbo by Mokason288(m): 4:54pm On Nov 29, 2020
Juliusmalema:
Seems Air Vice Marshall Nyesom Wike Is not yet done with Oyigbo people.

By now Soldiers supposed to have vacated the community. What are they still doing there?

Wike can't come on media to say one thing and behind encouraging ethnic cleansing to be going on.

Why is Governor Nyesom Wike hell bent of wiping the people of Oyigbo out from the surface of this earth.

Recently the media authoritatively states as reported by premium and guard that over 30 Igbos were gruesomely Murdered In cold blood under Wike's directive and nearly 40 something currently missing and over 60 in hospital for various varying degrees of injuries all on the order of Wike.
On the order of Wike... who told you Governors gives orders to the military?

Don’t make me call you a goat

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am Lucky To Be Alive — Grace Abdu, VOA Reporter Arrested By Army In Oyigbo by Freestainworld(m): 4:55pm On Nov 29, 2020
Dictatorship country

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am Lucky To Be Alive — Grace Abdu, VOA Reporter Arrested By Army In Oyigbo by prince2pac(m): 4:55pm On Nov 29, 2020
NIGERIA IS SITTING ON A TICKING BOMB.. DICTATORSHIP IS NOW THE ORDER OF THE DAY... INSECURITY IS ON ANOTHER LEVEL

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Lucky To Be Alive — Grace Abdu, VOA Reporter Arrested By Army In Oyigbo by Nobody: 5:00pm On Nov 29, 2020
Mokason288:

Direct the goat back to the original poster.

Wike invited the army and so much more involved in the order.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Lucky To Be Alive — Grace Abdu, VOA Reporter Arrested By Army In Oyigbo by IJOBA2: 5:05pm On Nov 29, 2020
HELI MY G WHATS UP! grin

TRY MAKE WE BOOK APPOINTMENT FOR IKEJA CITY MALL NA angry

2 Likes

Re: I Am Lucky To Be Alive — Grace Abdu, VOA Reporter Arrested By Army In Oyigbo by Okoroawusa: 5:07pm On Nov 29, 2020
You will not see the usual people here o!

But if na Lagos this one happen the Twitter activists led by Sowore n his useless Saharareporters will not allow us hear word. That's when they will remember that tinubu is holding their destiny and only the commander in chief can direct soldiers.

Ndi uchu!!!

8 Likes

Re: I Am Lucky To Be Alive — Grace Abdu, VOA Reporter Arrested By Army In Oyigbo by Rugaria: 5:08pm On Nov 29, 2020
Until the much villified "bloody civilians" start to fight back against the army, human lives will never mean anything to these vermins in uniform! This tendency to shoot at the slightest provocation with the belief that ,"nothing will happen", stems from the fact that since independence, the army has been shooting at armless civilians without any repercussions! Just the other day, the Nigerian army was quoted as saying that if the Lekki protests happen again, they will do the same thing.. Maybe it's about time folks start to get ready to meet fire with fire while legitimately exercising their civil rights to protest... If the army is made aware that they will be confronted if they open fire on civilians, they will definitely think twice before taking such actions in the future..

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Am Lucky To Be Alive — Grace Abdu, VOA Reporter Arrested By Army In Oyigbo by mu2sa2: 5:09pm On Nov 29, 2020
By the time Pdp chieftain, his excellency himself Wike, finishes with those eegbos in Oyingbo, ipob/biafra will be wiped off the lexicon of the remnants that manage to escape the all-out onslaught. They tried to mess up with the Chief Thug of the south-south and got it hot- hot from him.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Lucky To Be Alive — Grace Abdu, VOA Reporter Arrested By Army In Oyigbo by Okoroawusa: 5:10pm On Nov 29, 2020
Mokason288:

Ordinary citizens give order to soldiers if you have the connection and money talk less of a governor.

Na for only Lagos body una dey get power. PDP apologists plenty for this Nairaland and 80% of them are my tribe men--- IGBOS!

Obughi mu kwue ya panti mu adokaa! Ekwugom ya!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Lucky To Be Alive — Grace Abdu, VOA Reporter Arrested By Army In Oyigbo by Mgbadike80: 5:17pm On Nov 29, 2020
And when VOA and CNN releases another damaging news report against the Nigerian army, Lai Mohammed would start foaming from the mouth. I sincerely believe that once the new American president takes over governance, most Nigerian politicians would face severe sanctions including travel bans for their families and asset seizures. The American president elect was among those who called for the army to stop shooting at unarmed protesters during the attack on Endsars protesters. PDP too is allowing her support base to be destroyed in the southeast and South south while keeping quiet over rash statements by Wike and Umahi against the local voting populace, i just hope that the American/ Western power ban threats would lead to fairly free and fair future elections as was witnessed in Edo state, both PDP and APC are the same. It's now time for a youth takeover.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Lucky To Be Alive — Grace Abdu, VOA Reporter Arrested By Army In Oyigbo by Nobody: 5:24pm On Nov 29, 2020
Okoroawusa:

But if na Lagos this one happen the Twitter activists led by Sowore n his useless Saharareporters will not allow us hear word. That's when they will remember that tinubu is holding their destiny and only the commander in chief can direct soldiers.

Ndi uchu!!!

That you have no investment in your father's compound or have anything to show that it is yours in your father's compound is not the reason you will attack others.

If you will live and die in Lagos...that's good but allow those who knows the worth of home to air their view.

You are not the only one residing in Lagos.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Lucky To Be Alive — Grace Abdu, VOA Reporter Arrested By Army In Oyigbo by Okoroawusa: 5:30pm On Nov 29, 2020
Juliusmalema:

That you have no investment in your father's compound or have anything to show that it is yours in your father's compound is not the reason you will attack others.

If you will live and die in Lagos...that's good but allow those who knows the worth of home to air their view.

You are not the only one residing in Lagos.
Nna, I have investments in the East more than you.

Point of correction, I don't reside in Lagos. I live in Lagos.

3 Likes

Re: I Am Lucky To Be Alive — Grace Abdu, VOA Reporter Arrested By Army In Oyigbo by Nobody: 5:40pm On Nov 29, 2020
Okoroawusa:

Nna, I have investments in the East more than you.

Point of correction, I don't reside in Lagos. I live in Lagos.

You have NADA in east. Nobody who has such will go about disparaging others who have reasons to be shuttling to and fro....east and west.

Attacking others here because they choose their path is the height of nonsense.

You can live and die in lagos if possible drop a will for your children to be buried there but allow others airr their view.

Whether they are in pdp, apc, labour shouldn't be your concern. let them be same way nobody is questioning why you decided to be buried in lagos.

I don't care how you put it but it ends that you reside in lagos. That's where you reside.

The English is not a confusing one.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am Lucky To Be Alive — Grace Abdu, VOA Reporter Arrested By Army In Oyigbo by Conrod: 5:43pm On Nov 29, 2020
It took the intervention of the us embassy to have her released......if this can happen to a voice of american staff,imagine the plight of an ordinary obigbo resident.

13 Likes

Re: I Am Lucky To Be Alive — Grace Abdu, VOA Reporter Arrested By Army In Oyigbo by Jagznation(m): 5:43pm On Nov 29, 2020
An administration with no regard for human right is dangerous,wike’s government gives no damn but immunity doesn’t last forever he should know that.

10 Likes

Re: I Am Lucky To Be Alive — Grace Abdu, VOA Reporter Arrested By Army In Oyigbo by Earlystar698(m): 5:45pm On Nov 29, 2020
Wike don buy market!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Lucky To Be Alive — Grace Abdu, VOA Reporter Arrested By Army In Oyigbo by gidgiddy: 5:46pm On Nov 29, 2020
Conrod:
It took the intervention of the us embassy to have her released......if this can happen to a voice of american staff,imagine the plight of an ordinary obigbo resident.

Exactly

4 Likes

Re: I Am Lucky To Be Alive — Grace Abdu, VOA Reporter Arrested By Army In Oyigbo by Nigeriabiafra80: 5:51pm On Nov 29, 2020
Wike done buy market
Even his g@y lover tambuwal is negotiating with terrorists
While he is busy making noise down south
His sl@ve master is busy meeting terrorists in open
I pity him ,cos even if those family forgive him we won’t
He will surely pay

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Lucky To Be Alive — Grace Abdu, VOA Reporter Arrested By Army In Oyigbo by Firstorderwizard(m): 5:57pm On Nov 29, 2020
Nyesomghosa Wikevwe on the beat

2 Likes

Re: I Am Lucky To Be Alive — Grace Abdu, VOA Reporter Arrested By Army In Oyigbo by Agbegbaorogboye: 6:50pm On Nov 29, 2020
Some were not so lucky at lekki

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Lucky To Be Alive — Grace Abdu, VOA Reporter Arrested By Army In Oyigbo by googlepikins: 6:57pm On Nov 29, 2020
Nigeria is now a banana Republic

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Lucky To Be Alive — Grace Abdu, VOA Reporter Arrested By Army In Oyigbo by Okoroawusa: 7:30pm On Nov 29, 2020
Juliusmalema:

You have NADA in east. Nobody who has such will go about disparaging others who have reasons to be shuttling to and fro....east and west.

Attacking others here because they choose their path is the height of nonsense.

You can live and die in lagos if possible drop a will for your children to be buried there but allow others airr their view.

Whether they are in pdp, apc, labour shouldn't be your concern. let them be same way nobody is questioning why you decided to be buried in lagos.

I don't care how you put it but it ends that you reside in lagos. That's where you reside.

The English is not a confusing one.
Juliusmalema stop running away from the discussion. I am pointing out the hypocritical nature of people like you in PDP n IPOB.Apart from gidgiddy who has been at the forefront of calling attention to the atrocities committed by Wike in Oyigbo, igbo leaders,elders, celebrities, activists and social media commentors like yourself have kept mute. Instead we have channeled our energies to Lagos and happenings there. Because I am igbo I shouldn't condemn such hypocrisy? You are wrong.
Juliusmalema, I am Igbo first before any nomenclature I bestow on myself and being born, raised and still living in Lagos doesn't rob me of my igboness. In fact it has given me a leverage over those of you that think that the world starts and ends in South East because you were born there n live there.
Juliusmalema, pack and come and live in Lagos too. It's a free world.

3 Likes

Re: I Am Lucky To Be Alive — Grace Abdu, VOA Reporter Arrested By Army In Oyigbo by Ventura1: 7:45pm On Nov 29, 2020
Idiotic Nigerian soldiers!
Ba Intelligence

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am Lucky To Be Alive — Grace Abdu, VOA Reporter Arrested By Army In Oyigbo by Ventura1: 7:50pm On Nov 29, 2020
Okoroawusa:

Ndi uchu!!!

You are a double face zombies, the name Sowore raised your BP, just like your lousy Lagos Igbo leader, Joe Igbokwe.

6 Likes

Re: I Am Lucky To Be Alive — Grace Abdu, VOA Reporter Arrested By Army In Oyigbo by IJOBA2: 8:17pm On Nov 29, 2020
TAQIYYA DIVISIONISTS WILL SOON BE HERE TO TELL US HOW IBOS AND YORUBAS HATE THEMSELVES.

OYA OUR NORTHERN JIHADISTS WHERE UNA DEY BIGHEAD5 ARREWA HELINUES TECHMO IVOLT SIMPLYLEO

6 Likes

Re: I Am Lucky To Be Alive — Grace Abdu, VOA Reporter Arrested By Army In Oyigbo by Sabadon(m): 8:17pm On Nov 29, 2020
Walks in.....check thread, walks out

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kankara Schoolboys Reunite With Their Parents (Pix) / Naira Scarcity: Rioters Invade Ogun LG Secretariat, Cart Away Mace (pic) / Pictures Of Nigeria Police Week

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.