Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,572 members, 7,823,495 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:51 AM

Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag (7621 Views)

What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People / African American Tourists Visit Oba Of Benin (photos) / Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, His Wives And Children In Cute Family Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag by TAO11(f): 12:42pm On Dec 12, 2020
Etinosa1234:
Samuel Johnson (an indigenous historian) gave two accounts of Oduduwa as at early 20th century and never claimed that Oduduwa was from ife
This is so revealing! I never knew. /s lol!

First of all, the extensively widespread Yoruba account (shown in your first attachment) that Oduduwa is a son of God sent from heaven to Ife, etc. is obvious enough in itself as a non-historical account.

In fact, S. Johnson himself made that clear (on that same page of your first attachment) that this is a mythological narrative rather than a historical account. As a gentle reminder, what we’re examining here are historical accounts. smiley

I have discussed this contrast in details in one of my earlier comments on the previous page. You may refer to the box below for quick guidance on that:
“1”: This is not a historical account, but rather a mythological narrative aimed to glamorize and deify the person of Oduduwa.

The parallel of this narrative in Benin kingdom is the mythical narrative of a certain Igodo who is said, in Benin accounts, to be the progenitor of Benin’s first monarchy.

The Benin account of his roots has it that he had came into Benin-City from the sky. This account is apparently non-historical — hence a mythological narrative.

The historical Benin account of his roots, however, states that he is a real human being who came from Ife on a mission to rule over ‘Benin’.

These two accounts aren’t contradictory for the basic and obvious reason that they serve two different purposes. While one is obviously intended as an hyperbole, the other is obviously intended as a literal historical information.

Regarding the second account (shown in your second attachment), my initial remarks go thus:

If by the phrase “an indigenous historian” you meant that Johnson is a Yoruba man who gathered accounts that speak of his people, then your usage is correct.

But if by this phrase you meant that the Middle-East story in his book is actually of Yoruba origination; then your phrase is ignorantly false.

Having said that, Samuel Johnson himself made it clear that the oldest traceable origination of this Middle-East story is in the writings of Sultan Bello of Sokoto which he was able to access via Captain Clapperton.

Your second attachment is taken from page 3 of S. Johnson's work. If you had bothered to go down some two more pages, then you would have found where S. Johnson continued and clarified that the oldest known origin of this Middle-East story is from Sultan Bello of Sokoto.

On this, Rev. Samuel Johnson writes (quoting Capt. Clapperton’s extract of Sultan Bello’s story) and I quote here:

The only written record we have on this subject is that of the Sultan Belo of Sokoto, the founder of that city, the most learned if not the most powerful of the Fulani sovereigns that ever bore rule in the Soudan.

Capt. Clapperton (Travels and Discoveries in Northern and Central Africa, 1822—1824) made the acquaintance of this monarch. From a large geographical and historical work by him, Capt. Clapperton made a copious extract, from which the following is taken :-- “Yarba is an extensive province containing rivers, forests, sands and mountains, as also a great many wonderful and extraordinary things. In it, the talking green bird called babaga (parrot) is found.”

“By the side of this province there is an anchorage or harbor for the ships of the Christians, who used to go there and purchase slaves. These slaves were exported from our country and sold to the people of Yarba, who resold them to the Christians.”

“The inhabitants of this province (Yarba) it is supposed originated from the remnant of the children of Canan, who were of the tribe of Nimrod. The cause of their establishment in the West of Africa was, as it is stated, in consequence of their being driven by Yar-rooba, son of Kahtan, out of Arabia to the Western Coast between Egypt and Abyssinia. From that spot they advanced into the interior of Africa, till they reach Yarba where they fixed their residence. On their way they left in every place they stopped at, a tribe of their own people. Thus it is supposed that all the tribes of the Soudan who inhabit the mountains are originated from them as also are the inhabitants of Ya-ory. Upon the whole, the people of Yarba are nearly of the same description as those of Noofee (Nupe)*”

~ Rev. Samuel Johnson, “The History of the Yorubas”, Completed 1897, Published 1921, pp. 5-6.

The account that Oduduwa came from ife is recent revisionism
Make sure to read up on what “revisionism” means, and then supplement such understanding with my antepenultimate comment — particularly where I touched on this same idea.

I don't even know when Benin had an official account that says we came from ife
Well, if your use of “we” here means that you are a member of the royal family of Benin Kingdom, then the “official” account of Benin kingdom states that your ancestors are originally Ife-Yoruba people.

Refer to pages 65-78 of Dmitri M. Bondarenko, “Advent of the Second (Oba) Dynasty: Another Assessment of a Benin History Key Point,” History in Africa, 2003, Vol. 30.

But if your parents are not born of the Benin royalty, then you may not really bother about any such "official" account of Benin Kingdom.

On a side note however, the origin of the Binis generally is given as follows in one of Chief Eghrevba’s works:

Many centuries ago, the Binis came from Egypt in one of those migrations common to many tribes seeking more fertile land or a more secure retreat from an enemy. They halted a while in Sudan, then at Ife whence they came to this land.

~ J. U. Egharevba, “The Origin of Benin,” 1954, p. 6.

Cheers!

Cc: gomojam, Amujale, macof, babtoundey, scholes0, Balogunodua, SaintBeehot, reallest, talktrue1234, Gratefulheart1, DenreleDave, Newton85

18 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag by samuk: 8:41pm On Dec 12, 2020
TAO11:
This is so revealing! I never knew. /s lol!

First of all, the extensively widespread Yoruba account (shown in your first attachment) that Oduduwa is a son of God sent from heaven to Ife, etc. is obvious enough as a non-historical account.

In fact, S. Johnson himself made that clear (on that page of your first attachment) that this is a mythological narrative rather than a historical account. As a gentle reminder, what we’re examining here are historical accounts. smiley

I have discussed this contrast in details in one of my earlier comments on this page. You may refer to the box below for quick guidance on that:

Regarding the second account (shown in your second attachment), my initial comment goes thus: If by your phrase “an indigenous historian” you meant that Johnson is a Yoruba man who gathered accounts that speak of his people, then your usage is correct.

But if by this phrase you meant that the Middle-East story in his book is actually of Yoruba origination; then your phrase is ignorantly false.

Having said that, Samuel Johnson himself made it clear that the oldest traceable origination of this Middle-East story is in the writings of Sultan Bello of Sokoto which he was only able to access via Captain Clapperton.

Your second attachment is taken from page 3 of S. Johnson's work. If you had bothered to go down some two more pages, then you would have found where Johnson continued and clarified that the oldest known root of this Middle-East story is from Sultan Bello of Sokoto.

On this, Rev. Samuel Johnson writes (quoting Captain Clapperton’s extract of Sultan Bello’s story) and I quote here:

The only written record we have on this subject is that of the Sultan Belo of Sokoto, the founder of that city, the most learned if not the most powerful of the Fulani sovereigns that ever bore rule in the Soudan.

Capt. Clapperton (Travels and Discoveries in Northern and Central Africa, 1822—1824) made the acquaintance of this monarch. From a large geographical and historical work by him, Capt. Clapperton made a copious extract, from which the following is taken :-- “Yarba is an extensive province containing rivers, forests, sands and mountains, as also a great many wonderful and extraordinary things. In it, the talking green bird called babaga (parrot) is found.”

“By the side of this province there is an anchorage or harbor for the ships of the Christians, who used to go there and purchase slaves. These slaves were exported from our country and sold to the people of Yarba, who resold them to the Christians.”

“The inhabitants of this province (Yarba) it is supposed originated from the remnant of the children of Canan, who were of the tribe of Nimrod. The cause of their establishment in the West of Africa was, as it is stated, in consequence of their being driven by Yar-rooba, son of Kahtan, out of Arabia to the Western Coast between Egypt and Abyssinia. From that spot they advanced into the interior of Africa, till they reach Yarba where they fixed their residence. On their way they left in every place they stopped at, a tribe of their own people. Thus it is supposed that all the tribes of the Soudan who inhabit the mountains are originated from them as also are the inhabitants of Ya-ory. Upon the whole, the people of Yarba are nearly of the same description as those of Noofee (Nupe)*”

~ Rev. Samuel Johnson, “The History of the Yorubas”, Completed 1897, Published 1921, pp. 5-6.

Make sure to read up on what “revisionism” means, and then supplement such understanding with my antepenultimate comment — particularly where I touched on this same idea.

Well, if your use of “we” here means that you are a member of the royal family of Benin Kingdom, then the “official” account of Benin kingdom states that your ancestors are originally Ife-Yoruba people.

Refer to pages 65-78 of Dmitri M. Bondarenko, “Advent of the Second (Oba) Dynasty: Another Assessment of a Benin History Key Point,” History in Africa, 2003, Vol. 30.

But if your parents are not born of the Benin royalty, then you may not really bother about any such "official" account of Benin Kingdom.

On a side note however, the origin of the Binis generally is given as follows in one of Chief Eghrevba’s works:

Many centuries ago, the Binis came from Egypt in one of those migrations common to many tribes seeking more fertile land or a more secure retreat from an enemy. They halted a while in Sudan, then at Ife whence they came to this land.

~ J. U. Egarevba, “The Origin of Benin”, 1954, p. 6.

Cheers!

Cc: gomojam, Amujale, macof, babtoundey, scoles0, Balogunodua, SaintBeehot, reallest, talktrue1234, Gratefulheart1, DenreleDave, Newton85

Why all these epistle when the summary of what you are trying to say is.

1. Yoruba early accounts of the origin of Oduduwa says he was a mythical figure.

2. Saudi Arabia origin of Oduduwa, but there are no records of this in Saudi Arabia

3. Benin Origin of Oduduwa

4. Ife 2010 origin of Oduduwa.

None of the above have an historical backing. Oduduwa was nothing but myth.

Everyone parading themselves as children of Oduduwa today, killed, sacrificed and sold each other into slavery pre-1800.

Stop digging yourself into a bigger hole. Oduduwa was a mythical figure.

5 Likes

Re: Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag by TAO11(f): 8:59pm On Dec 12, 2020
samuk:
[s]Why all these epistle when the summary of what you are trying to say is.
1. Yoruba early accounts of the origin of Oduduwa says he was a mythical figure.

2. Saudi Arabia origin of Oduduwa, but there are no records of this in Saudi Arabia

3. Benin Origin of Oduduwa

4. Ife 2010 origin of Oduduwa.

None of the above have an historical backing. Oduduwa was nothing but myth.

Everyone parading themselves as children of Oduduwa today, killed, sacrificed and sold each other into slavery pre-1800.

Stop digging yourself into a bigger hole. Oduduwa was a mythical figure.[/s]
LMAO! cheesy All I see is a pained and insecure lad who dared not present a case against even one of my arguments, thereby affirming them implicitly. Haha grin

Anyways, thank you for admitting publicly that you could not possibly muster a single come-back to address even one of my arguments. Keep it up lad! grin

Having now implicitly admitted that your diatribe and delusion have been debunked, may you now confirm to me if the following individuals are truly mere fictional cartoons (rather than real human beings) as some Binis have being suggesting lately:

Eweka I, Uwakhuahen, Henmihen, Ewedo, Oguola, Edoni, Udagbedo, Ohen, Egbeka, Orobiru, Uwaifiokun, Ewuare I, among others.

I hope to hear from you on this in due course. Thank you! grin

Cheers!

Cc: gomojam, Amujale, macof, babtoundey, scholes0, Balogunodua, SaintBeehot, reallest, talktrue1234, Gratefulheart1, DenreleDave, Newton85

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag by samuk: 12:38pm On Dec 13, 2020
TAO11:
LMAO! cheesy All I see is a pained and insecure lad who dared not present a case against even one of my arguments, thereby affirming them implicitly. Haha grin

Anyways, thank you for admitting publicly that you could not possibly muster a single come-back to address even one of my arguments. Keep it up lad! grin

Having now implicitly admitted that your diatribe and delusion have been debunked, may you now confirm to me if the following individuals are truly mere fictional cartoons (rather than real human beings) as some Binis have being suggesting lately:

Eweka I, Uwakhuahen, Henmihen, Ewedo, Oguola, Edoni, Udagbedo, Ohen, Egbeka, Orobiru, Uwaifiokun, Ewuare I, among others.

Cheers!

You have no argument, Oduduwa is a myth according to Yoruba early historical accounts....see S. Johnson, if you believe otherwise, you can carry on debating myth with yourself, I thought you have grown beyond that.

Samuel Johnson in his book which has already been provided talked about Oduduwa being a myth and the Oduduwa Saudi Arabia origin which you said was the creation of the Sultan of Sokoto.

The Sultan of Sokoto sold the Yoruba dummy by turning Your mythical Oduduwa into an historical figure from Saudi Arabia in other to make it easy to convert the Yoruba to Islam

All Yoruba muslims (more than half Yoruba population and their Obas) today have the Sultan of Sokoto as their spiritual leader/head not the Ooni.

The Yoruba only woke up in 2010 to realised the political and spiritual implications of what Sultan Belo did in the 1800s and decided to author a book linking the mythical Oduduwa to Ife but the damage has already been done. How are you going to convince Yoruba muslims who take spiritual directives from Sultan of Sokoto not to do so.

More than half Yoruba population is under the spiritual and political leadership of the Sokoto caliphate and I don't see this changing soon.

The Hausa/Fulani you call illiterates have always be ahead of you. Being able to write in English language doesn't make you clever and smart.

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag by Ideadoctor(m): 12:39pm On Dec 13, 2020
samuk:

You have no argument, Oduduwa is a myth according to Yoruba early historical accounts....see S. Johnson, if you believe otherwise, you can carry on debating myth with yourself, I thought you have grown beyond that.
Re: Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag by Ideadoctor(m): 12:49pm On Dec 13, 2020
great historical figures are mythified to add glory to their glory,take for example, the great Macedonian king Alexander the great who conquered all empires, was mythified at the apex of His greatness, it is rumored that he is the son of Olympus one of the Greek deities, and their are a lot of stories about him that are more mythical than historical, but that does change the fact that he once lived as a man,oduduwa is not an exception, Yorubas are one of the largest tribes in Africa, spreading from Nigeria as far as Sierra Leone, and yet they believe that they descended or have affinity with oduduwa, if oduduwa is not real his name would not have Been popular so fae

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag by samuk: 12:55pm On Dec 13, 2020
Ideadoctor:
great historical figures are mythified to add glory to their glory,take for example, the great Macedonian king Alexander the great who conquered all empires, was mythified at the apex of His greatness, it is rumored that he is the son of Olympus one of the Greek deities, and their are a lot of stories about him that are more mythical than historical, but that does change the fact that he once lived as a man,oduduwa is not an exception, Yorubas are one of the largest tribes in Africa, spreading from Nigeria as far as Sierra Leone, and yet they believe that they descended or have affinity with oduduwa, if oduduwa is not real his name would not have Been popular so fae

Samuel Johnson in his book which has already been provided talked about Oduduwa being a myth and the Oduduwa Saudi Arabia origin which Tao said was the creation of the Sultan of Sokoto.

The Sultan of Sokoto sold the Yoruba a dummy by turning Your mythical Oduduwa into a historical figure from Saudi Arabia in other to make it easy to convert the Yoruba to Islam

All Yoruba muslims (more than half Yoruba population and their Obas) today have the Sultan of Sokoto as their spiritual leader/head not the Ooni.

The Yoruba only woke up in 2010 to realised the political and spiritual implications of what Sultan Belo did in the 1800s and decided to author a book linking the mythical Oduduwa to Ife but the damage has already been done. How are you going to convince Yoruba muslims who take spiritual directives from Sultan of Sokoto not to do so.

More than half Yoruba population is under the spiritual and political leadership of the Sokoto caliphate and I don't see this changing soon.

The Hausa/Fulani you call illiterates have always be ahead of you. Being able to write in English language doesn't make you clever and smart.

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag by Ideadoctor(m): 2:26pm On Dec 13, 2020
samuk:

Samuel Johnson in his book which has already been provided talked about Oduduwa being a myth and the Oduduwa Saudi Arabia origin which Tao said was the creation of the Sultan of Sokoto.

The Sultan of Sokoto sold the Yoruba a dummy by turning Your mythical Oduduwa into a historical figure from Saudi Arabia in other to make it easy to convert the Yoruba to Islam

Re: Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag by Ideadoctor(m): 2:45pm On Dec 13, 2020
you are are talking from your limited knowledge, you are right when you said been able to write and read English is not civilization, Yoruba history is best understood through the IFA corpus the total information on Yoruba culture, history, lores , and rituals which has has always been the most reliable instrument for searching truth, IFA corpus was invented by the popular orunmila, who lived about 4000 years ago,IFA became the Genesis of classic Yoruba civilization, oduduwa was mentioned many times in the 256 verses of IFA which means that the Yoruba people have a grand knowledge of oduduwa even before the arrival of Islam in Africa, Yorubas are not dumb,they are very intelligent,clever and cunning, they know what belongs to them and they claim it and what does not belong to them they drop it,get the fact clear, oduduwa is indigenously Yoruba, oduduwa coming from Mecca has you said, is Muslim thing, trying to religiously attach themselves to Mecca, in fact, traditional Yoruba people scoffs at the hypothesis, odu da iwa that is the full meaning of oduduwa, which means " an embodiment of character " so samuk it is advisable you keep quiet and learn more,

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag by Ideadoctor(m): 3:04pm On Dec 13, 2020
anyways, if oduduwa is a myth,then why did Benin tradition says oranmiyan the first oba of Benin is a son of oduduwa, and why do Benin people celebrate oduduwa festival? perhaps, Edo elders are dumb too,to believe oduduwa is an historical figure, you said Yoruba Muslims pledge their allegiance to the sultan instead of the Ooni,your knowledge is limited just as I have said earlier, Yorubas wherever and whatever they recognized their source they are born like that, Edo folks like you can not use religion to divide our people, before I became a Christian I was born a Yoruba, that is how Yoruba think,they value humanity rather than religion, because religion is actually preaching humanity, Yorubas today are educated, intelligent and smart,the success of operation Amotekun shows how united Yoruba people can be if they are threatened, either Muslim, Christian, ATR,they come together and fight off aggressors,any Yoruba that is extreme in his religion till the extent that he forget his source is viewed as an slowpoke, deformed and a bastard by the Yoruba society, forget bro,you can't use religion to divide the Yoruba nation,we are wiser than that, Yoruba Christian, Yoruba Muslims, Yoruba ATr,we are one

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag by gregyboy(m): 3:23pm On Dec 13, 2020
Ideadoctor:
anyways, if oduduwa is a myth,then why did Benin tradition says oranmiyan the first oba of Benin is a son of oduduwa, and why do Benin people celebrate oduduwa festival? perhaps, Edo elders are dumb too,to believe oduduwa is an historical figure, you said Yoruba Muslims pledge their allegiance to the sultan instead of the Ooni,your knowledge is limited just as I have said earlier, Yorubas wherever and whatever they recognized their source they are born like that, Edo folks like you can not use religion to divide our people, before I became a Christian I was born a Yoruba, that is how Yoruba think,they value humanity rather than religion, because religion is actually preaching humanity, Yorubas today are educated, intelligent and smart,the success of operation Amotekun shows how united Yoruba people can be if they are threatened, either Muslim, Christian, ATR,they come together and fight off aggressors,any Yoruba that is extreme in his religion till the extent that he forget his source is viewed as an slowpoke, deformed and a bastard by the Yoruba society, forget bro,you can't use religion to divide the Yoruba nation,we are wiser than that, Yoruba Christian, Yoruba Muslims, Yoruba ATr,we are one

What is oduduwa festival
Re: Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag by gregyboy(m): 3:25pm On Dec 13, 2020
Ideadoctor:

Oduduwa is a myth to benin and never came here
I dont know if he is a myth to yorubas though he is but that is not my concern

Oduduwa or oromiyan never ventured to benin prove it with an 1800 document
Re: Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag by Ideadoctor(m): 3:26pm On Dec 13, 2020
gregyboy:

Re: Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag by Ideadoctor(m): 3:28pm On Dec 13, 2020
don't ever say that at the hear of Oba of Benin, he would certainly curse you, you are trying to call him a bastard who doesn't know his father

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag by Ideadoctor(m): 3:32pm On Dec 13, 2020
gregyboy:

What is oduduwa festival
Re: Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag by Ideadoctor(m): 3:33pm On Dec 13, 2020
am lazy at typing, just ask Google abeg
Re: Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag by gregyboy(m): 3:55pm On Dec 13, 2020
Ideadoctor:
don't ever say that at the hear of Oba of Benin, he would certainly curse you, you are trying to call him a bastard who doesn't know his father

The oba of benin history says oduduwa is from benin, yet you spilling nonsense

Maybe because your ancestors is not from ife so you can troll since it doesn't really concerns you

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag by Ideadoctor(m): 5:05pm On Dec 13, 2020
gregyboy:

Maybe because your ancestors is not from ife so you can troll since it doesn't concern really concern you
Re: Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag by Ideadoctor(m): 5:09pm On Dec 13, 2020
if I agree that oduduwa came from Benin to you it is no more a myth but history,but if I say oduduwa came from ife then you would say it is a myth. you see you are contradicting yourself, because you are not a honest debater

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag by Ideadoctor(m): 5:16pm On Dec 13, 2020
gregyboy:

Maybe because your ancestors is not from ife so you can troll since it doesn't concern really concern you

let Oni of ife stand and let Oba of Benin stand, and let see if oba of Benin will say what you claim he said, Ooni is the spiritual fathee of all those who share affinity with ife including Benin
Re: Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag by samuk: 6:46pm On Dec 13, 2020
Ideadoctor:

let Oni of ife stand and let Oba of Benin stand, and let see if oba of Benin will say what you claim he said, Ooni is the spiritual fathee of all those who share affinity with ife including Benin

The late Oba of Benin told the late Ooni of Ife that Oduduwa was from Benin and the current Oba of Benin told the current Ooni, Emir of Kanu, Sultan of Sokoto and the entire world during his coronation that Oranmiyan was a Benin prince. Look for the Oba of Benin coronation speech on YouTube and listen to it yourself.

Whose spiritual father is the Ooni? Oba of Lagos recognises the Oba of Benin as his father not the Ooni, look of the video of Oba of saying so during the one year anniversary of the coronation of oba of Benin on YouTube.

Olugbo, Awujale don't recognise Ooni as their superior let alone spiritual father, you are living in a dream land.

The Ooni is not even Tinubu spiritual father, as a Muslim, the Sultan of Sokoto is Tinubu's spiritual father if you really know the meaning of spiritual father.

3 Likes

Re: Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag by TAO11(f): 6:57pm On Dec 13, 2020

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag by Ideadoctor(m): 7:09pm On Dec 13, 2020
samuk:

The late Oba of Benin told the late Ooni of Ife that Oduduwa was from Benin and the current Oba of Benin told the current Ooni, Emir of Kanu, Sultan of Sokoto and the entire world during his coronation that Oranmiyan was a Benin prince. Look for the Oba of Benin coronation speech on YouTube and listen to it yourself.

Whose spiritual father is the Ooni? Oba of Lagos recognises the Oba of Benin as his father not the Ooni, look of the video of Oba of saying so during the one year anniversary of the coronation of oba of Benin on YouTube.

Olugbo, Awujale don't recognise Ooni as their superior let alone spiritual father, you are living in a dream land.

The Ooni is not even Tinubu spiritual father, as a Muslim, the Sultan of Sokoto is Tinubu's spiritual father if you really know the meaning of spiritual father.

dey there

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag by gregyboy(m): 7:57pm On Dec 13, 2020
Ideadoctor:

If he says so your ooni would beat him, or do you want me to send screenshot of him saying so

Did you even read the screenshot that all yorubas is not from ife lets start from there

Is your ancestors from ife
Re: Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag by gregyboy(m): 7:59pm On Dec 13, 2020
Ideadoctor:

dey there

You're sleeping you don't even know if your ancestors is from ife....
Re: Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag by gregyboy(m): 8:00pm On Dec 13, 2020
TAO11:

Cheers!

I agree they are so as oduduwa do you agree
Re: Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag by Ideadoctor(m): 9:57pm On Dec 13, 2020
gregyboy:

You're sleeping you don't even know if your ancestors is from ife....
you are confused
Re: Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag by Ideadoctor(m): 10:23pm On Dec 13, 2020
Yoruba historical achievement
(1) they invented the classical ife bronze using the lost wax method to create realistic arts,these art where taught to the Benin people, the Yoruba man who taught the Benin bronze caster was deified by Benin people and venerated by all Benin bronze casters
(2) they developed a complex political system which was rare in Africa at that time
(3) they have one of the greatest empire in Africa, these empire influence can be seen from the cultural disposition of the conquered lands, from Nigeria to Benin to Togo
(4) they have a sophisticated form of religion than other African groups, their religion today has birth several others religion even in the Americas and the Caribbeans such as candomble in Brazil, Santeria in Cuba, shango in Trinidad and Tobago and to some extent influenced the Haitian vodun
(5) they were the first ethnic group to be educated in mass.
(6) they are the second most popular tribe after the Zulus
7) they stopped the jihad in Nigeria
(cool they colonized some minor ethnic group, these ethnic groups with time lost their culture and language and with time, they were regarded as Yoruba, Benin kingdom is an example of Yoruba colony

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag by OmoOlofin: 11:33pm On Dec 13, 2020

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag by TAO11(f): 11:39pm On Dec 13, 2020
samuk:
You have no argument, Oduduwa is a myth according to Yoruba early historical accounts....see S. Johnson,

if you believe otherwise, you can carry on debating myth with yourself, I thought you have grown beyond that. Samuel Johnson in his book which has already been provided talked about Oduduwa being a myth
Having already debunked this myself and also by Ideadoctor; what appears to be amiss with you again is simply your Trumpian denial kicking in as is to be expected.

Or it could also be that there is some English language challenge going on considering what I’m noticing; or even both. grin The summary below should help:

Me: Alexander III of Mecedon (aka. Alexander the Great) is a mythological king who is till date remembered as being two-horned, as well as being the child of Zeus-Ammon among other mythologized attributes.

samuk: Wow! shocked All my life I never knew that Alexander the Great is actually a fictional (or unreal) character. shocked I never knew that. Hmm! I just expanded my knowledge frontiers.

Me: As a matter of urgency, the Nigerian Government must mandate quality free education at all levels in Edo State. Something is clearly going wrong from that end. cheesy

Having made the foregoing appeal to the Government, I feel obliged to begin walking the talk from Nairaland even before the Government will consider, approve, and implement my proposal for Edo state. Consequent to this obligation, refer to the following:

Samuel Johnson himself (which you‘ve pointed to) did clarify his usage of mythological king, mythical personage, etc. for Oduduwa and others.

His clarification shows plainly (as seen in the embedded image below) that Oduduwa as a mythological king is NOT in the same sense as Power Rangers, for example, are fictional characters — that is, NOT an unreal character which later became somewhat historicized.

Instead, his clarification shows plainly that Oduduwa is a mythological king in the same sense as Alexander the Great is a mythical personage — that is, a historical human who later became somewhat mythologized.

Samuel Johnson makes it unequivocally clear that Oduduwa is a human who lived, died, got deified, and became mythologized by his own succeeding nation. See embedded image below:
www.nairaland.com/attachments/12832482_8c98a5b8e177479b9e77c83868005542_jpeg_jpegfe843af42cda30b48f75f800a6b3bfcd

and the Oduduwa Saudi Arabia origin which you said was the creation of the Sultan of Sokoto.
LMAO! Not which I said. Rather, which Samuel Johnson himself admitted.

I had quoted the words earlier, see the embedded screenshot this time around. smileywww.nairaland.com/attachments/12832481_9dded8db0ccb433d9be63c5a5af541bd_jpeg_jpeg2665e593edf6da520ec7b50530e19ed5 Your life in denial appears to have truly kick-started. I really hope it is effective in helping you cope with the heartbreak though. grin

The Sultan of Sokoto sold the Yoruba dummy by turning Your mythical Oduduwa into an historical figure from Saudi Arabia in other to make it easy to convert the Yoruba to Islam
If by “mythical Oduduwa” here you refer to your idea that Oduduwa is a fictional character like Ewuare 1; then that has just been debunked in the penultimate embedded image above.

As such, the imagination you’ve also wrapped around such falsehood is also consequently debunked. grin

The Yoruba only woke up in 2010 to realised the political and spiritual implications of what Sultan Belo did in the 1800s and decided to author a book linking the mythical Oduduwa to Ife but the damage has already been done.
Well, the bolded has been repeatedly debunked as an ignorant falsehood. How’s life in denial going? cheesy

Refer to link below as well as the embedded screenshot below for a gentle reminder: grin
https://www.nairaland.com/6290436/ikwerre-people-visit-oba-benin/5#96990674 www.nairaland.com/attachments/12832480_ddef85e8768b4a259d020a3ee541941a_jpeg_jpege52f875df9737f15eb05c223f0136519

How are you going to convince Yoruba muslims who take spiritual directives from Sultan of Sokoto not to do so. More than half Yoruba population is under the spiritual and political leadership of the Sokoto caliphate and I don't see this changing soon. All Yoruba muslims (more than half Yoruba population and their Obas) today have the Sultan of Sokoto as their spiritual leader/head not the Ooni
Well, Yoruba Muslims recognize both their ethno-linguistic identity and their Islamic faith; just as much as hundreds of thousands of Bini Christians recognize their Benin culture while also continuing to pledge their unwavering allegiance to the sovereignty of the papacy — via the authority and control of baby CAN.

In fact, we read from De Barros’ Decada that not only were the Binis subjected to the Christian faith and hence to the Pope since the late-1400s; your then King himself actually begged to be subjected to the Christian faith and hence to the Pope. cheesy No be even today or the 1800s oo — since the 1400s. Chai! cheesy

Interesting! cheesy Anyways, they also “have already been ahead” of the Binis in literacy, influence, etc. — despite your calling them illiterate savages.

They developed their own indigenous writing more than four centuries before a foreigner would develop Bini writing for your daddies. grin

Moreover, Sultan Bello’s original Middle East influence on S. Johnson also tricked down to your irreplaceable poster-boy, Chief Egharevba. smiley

Chief Egharevba wasted his life in vain, searching the Middle-East for the origin of the Benin people (not Benin kings). He searched Egypt, searched Sudan, searched Sahara, and in fact also searched Ife. grin

What I see in all of these, in context, is an heirrachy. And the Binis are clearly at the bottommost part of that chain. grin

Cc: Ideadoctor, LegendHero, macof, RuggedSniper, scholes0, Balogunodua, babtoundey, DenreleDave, SaintBeehot, Newton85, reallest

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag by Ideadoctor(m): 8:52am On Dec 14, 2020
samuk:

Samuel Johnson in his book which has already been provided talked about Oduduwa being a myth and the Oduduwa Saudi Arabia origin which you said was the creation of the Sultan of Sokoto.

with all these evidence and cited source you are still repeating your trash,you asked for evidence and you were given, still you are saying the same thing

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag by Ideadoctor(m): 8:56am On Dec 14, 2020
gregyboy:

says by one dumb and unscholar gregyboy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? / Osole Fun Eniti O Nse Yahoo / What's Expected Of Nigerian Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.