Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,785 members, 7,820,751 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:47 PM

Are Tokumbo Cars Really Worth The Price - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Are Tokumbo Cars Really Worth The Price (1572 Views)

Are Peugeot Cars Really Expensive To Maintain? / Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? / Are Cars Really Cheap In Katsina?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Tokumbo Cars Really Worth The Price by Kanoski(m): 4:06pm On Dec 01, 2020
[left]]Dear nairalanders
I will like to know.

Is a tokumbo car really worth the price tag as I am planning to get one soon and also with the current foreign exchange market rate, and also going through the stress of registration and the necessary paper work.

How long will an average tokumbo take before it starts developing major faults and needing repairs from wear and tear.

What are the benefits of buying a tokumbo over a well maintained naija used car

And lastly, are tokumbo cars really buy and drive?, are they problem free as the are expected to be?, did you spend and any money on any fix after driving off the car stand?.

Thanks in advance for your help and contributions

1 Like

Re: Are Tokumbo Cars Really Worth The Price by Kanoski(m): 6:43pm On Dec 01, 2020
Person wey the ask question no the miss road. Car owners and experts in the house.. Your advice and contributions will be appreciated

1 Like

Re: Are Tokumbo Cars Really Worth The Price by melviniyke2002(m): 6:48pm On Dec 01, 2020
Kanoski:
[left]]Dear nairalanders
I will like to know.

Is a tokumbo car really worth the price tag as I am planning to get one soon and also with the current foreign exchange market rate, and also going through the stress of registration and the necessary paper work.

How long will an average tokumbo take before it starts developing major faults and needing repairs from wear and tear.

And lastly, are tokumbo cars really buy and drive?, are they problem free as the are expected to be?, did you spend and any money on any fix after driving off the car stand?.

tokumbo cars are not totally problem free.....u hv to run a vin check n get sm1 to inspect it over der.....when i got my car direct toks i did d following:
1.change engine oil n filter
2.change cabin n engine air filter
3.Drain n refil transmission oil
4.Change my rim n tyres(frm 15 to 16)....
5.wheel balancing n alignment.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Tokumbo Cars Really Worth The Price by Kanoski(m): 7:03pm On Dec 01, 2020
melviniyke2002:
tokumbo cars are not totally problem free.....u hv to run a vin check n get sm1 to inspect it over der.....when i got my car direct toks i did d following:
1.change engine oil n filter
2.change cabin n engine air filter
3.Drain n refil transmission oil
4.Change my rim n tyres(frm 15 to 16)....
5.wheel balancing n alignment.....
Wow..
That's a long list 4 a tokumbo I think..

Car brand and model sir?
Re: Are Tokumbo Cars Really Worth The Price by cluewebhost(m): 8:13pm On Dec 01, 2020
There are Kazeems abroad too.

But a lot of Tokunbos are fixed (any major/visible issues) and detailed before being sold.

If your Tokunboh didn't come with service history you can buy something worse than a well used here car.

1 Like

Re: Are Tokumbo Cars Really Worth The Price by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:31pm On Dec 01, 2020
All down to service history.

But, on average, yes. A toks car is way better.

Nigerian roads are awful, man. They completely destroy cars.

1 Like

Re: Are Tokumbo Cars Really Worth The Price by adanny01(m): 8:49pm On Dec 01, 2020
Kanoski:
[left]]Dear nairalanders
I will like to know.

IMO, the average toks has +/-100k miles. Therefore, the best days for such a car has been spent.

However, cars with very good reliability are very much problem free for another 100k miles.

This logic is also true because major turn around maintenance of most manufacturers is around the 100k miles.

This major maintenance repair is very expensive to do right so users avoid this by selling it off to get a brand new one. This ensures that they never have to deal with the car needing major maintenance or mechanical job that is expected at around 100k.

Armed with this knowledge, the answer to you question becomes direct, toks cars are good for the price we are getting it for if you get the right deal. Your toks car reliability now depends on the brand reliability, previous users maintenance and your maintenance.

If you want a problem free car then buy brand new, else you should learn to tolerate mechanics and expect some down time.

Note, I have seen a brand new Peugeot 406 bought from PAN having a failed engine twice at less than 5000km before they replaced the entire car. It doesn't mean 406 is not reliable.

Car dealerships fix a lot of issues before you see the car at a car stand, so there is no sure way to avoid issues.

The idea of Naina used is supposed to be buy and drive because the seller should have fixed most problems. But the issue is that some people don't know maintenance or failed in doing the right maintenance and could choose to lie about it misleading you to buying a lemon.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Tokumbo Cars Really Worth The Price by Kanoski(m): 8:54pm On Dec 01, 2020
adanny01:

IMO, the average toks has +/-100k miles. Therefore, the best days for such a car has been spent.

However, cars with very good reliability are very much problem free for another 100k miles.

This logic is also true because major turn around maintenance of most manufacturers is around the 100k miles.

This major maintenance repair is very expensive to-do right so users avoid this by selling it off to get a brand new can. This ensures that they never have to deal with the car needing a major maintenance or mechanical job that is expected at around 100k.

Armed with this knowledge, the answer to you question becomes direct, toks cars are good for the price you we are getting if you get the right deal. Your toks car reliability now depends on the brand reliability, previous users maintenance and your maintenance.

If you want a problem free car then buy brand new, else you should learn to tolerate echanics and expect some down time.

Note, I have seen a brand new Peugeot 406 bought from PAN having a failed engine twice at less than 5000km before they replaced the entire car. It doesn't mean 406 is not reliable.
Wow..
U mean a brand new 406..

Thanks alot. I learnt something
Re: Are Tokumbo Cars Really Worth The Price by adanny01(m): 9:07pm On Dec 01, 2020
Kanoski:

Wow..
U mean a brand new 406..

Thanks alot. I learnt something

Yes, govt bought for all LG chairmen as official cars back then and my aunt's own didn't complete its first trip to the LG. It was returned to PAN who changed the engine which failed again then they replaced the car for her.
Re: Are Tokumbo Cars Really Worth The Price by melviniyke2002(m): 11:58pm On Dec 01, 2020
Kanoski:

Wow..
That's a long list 4 a tokumbo I think..

Car brand and model sir?
2005 camry.....
Re: Are Tokumbo Cars Really Worth The Price by Bettycars(m): 2:37am On Dec 02, 2020
Kanoski:
[left]]Dear nairalanders
I will like to know.

As a car importer, this period aren’t the best of times for importers. The high prices aren’t the fault of the seller. A lot of things are put into consideration
Re: Are Tokumbo Cars Really Worth The Price by Kanoski(m): 6:08am On Dec 02, 2020
melviniyke2002:
2005 camry.....
Nice one
Re: Are Tokumbo Cars Really Worth The Price by Kanoski(m): 6:09am On Dec 02, 2020
Bettycars:

As a car importer, this period aren’t the best of times for importers. The high prices are the fault of the seller. A lot of things are put into consideration
Is it the dealers here in naija or the one overseas
Re: Are Tokumbo Cars Really Worth The Price by Kanoski(m): 11:19am On Dec 03, 2020
embarassedLala so this my trend didn't even make it to front page?
Re: Are Tokumbo Cars Really Worth The Price by 3kay945(m): 10:07pm On Dec 03, 2020
Just buy nice tokunbo car and have a rest of mind also, a break from kazeem for atleast 2years. Apart from servicing with expensive oil and change of hub and bearings due to the bad roads everywhere.

1 Like

Re: Are Tokumbo Cars Really Worth The Price by Kanoski(m): 10:24pm On Dec 03, 2020
3kay945:
Just buy nice tokunbo car and have a rest of mind also, a break from kazeem for atleast 2years. Apart from servicing with expensive oil and change of hub and bearings due to the bad roads everywhere.
. The expensive oil part..
How expensive are we talking about here
Re: Are Tokumbo Cars Really Worth The Price by 3kay945(m): 10:33am On Dec 04, 2020
Kanoski:
. The expensive oil part..
How expensive are we talking about here

19k to 22k or more depending on dollar for those 5w30 oil
Re: Are Tokumbo Cars Really Worth The Price by Kanoski(m): 11:08am On Dec 04, 2020
3kay945:

19k to 22k or more depending on dollar for those 5w30 oil
How many thousand miles do this oil last for?
Re: Are Tokumbo Cars Really Worth The Price by Kingsdave(m): 5:04pm On Dec 04, 2020
Kanoski:

How many thousand miles do this oil last for?
5...10...15k miles... depending on the oil
Re: Are Tokumbo Cars Really Worth The Price by ZIMDRILL(m): 6:22pm On Dec 04, 2020
adanny01:

This major maintenance repair is very expensive to do right so users avoid this by selling it off to get a brand new one. This ensures that they never have to deal with the car needing major maintenance or mechanical job that is expected at around 100k.

Armed with this knowledge, the answer to you question becomes direct, toks cars are good for the price we are getting it for if you get the right deal. Your toks car reliability now depends on the brand reliability, previous users maintenance and your maintenance.

If you want a problem free car then buy brand new, else you should learn to tolerate mechanics and expect some down time.

Car dealerships fix a lot of issues before you see the car at a car stand, so there is no sure way to avoid issues.

The idea of Naina used is supposed to be buy and drive because the seller should have fixed most problems. But the issue is that some people don't know maintenance or failed in doing the right maintenance and could choose to lie about it misleading you to buying a lemon.

you nailed it

most people get mesmerised by the body of the these cars, simply becoz half of our cars within borders/ within africa have battered bodies and butchered engine if not Frankenstein engine

Imported cars have a good looking body due to strict laws within the Western worlds standards, but doesnt mean the car is perfect engine suspension might be gone and the engine might be good but with high mileage meaning high risk of failure, so in terms of western world the car would be expensive to fit, therefore they get sold cheap or scrapped.

All those ball joint failing pictures of honda cars are not due to honda's fault those are due to poor maintenance practise, in UK any car which more than 3 years old goes for what is called MOT TEST, in simple terms the TEST checks if the car is roadworth to be on the road, so things like brake disk, brake pads, brake pipes, full suspension, headlights, indicators/blinkers/ aka trafficator, emissions, windows screen, wipers, seatbealt, tyres, corrosion etc are all checked to ensure that the car is road worthy to drive

Even a number plate can fail in UK our number plate are plastic, is the number plate is distorted with dirty that can fail a car
so in general those cars look better than the their cousin back home but doesnt mean their are perfect

one simple equation to master

on average UK and USA car range between 10000 -13000 miles per year mileage so always multiply the age of the car by 10/13 000 to have an average mileage on the car eg a 2006 car x 13000 so 14 years old car x 13000 =1820000miles

vin check doesnt give much information in terms of the cars maintenance, it only gives you history of any major accidents that where put into the national data base

so just be open minded with these cars
Re: Are Tokumbo Cars Really Worth The Price by HeavenlyBang(m): 6:28pm On Dec 04, 2020
ZIMDRILL:

you nailed it

most people get mesmerised by the body of the these cars, simply becoz half of our cars within borders/ within africa have battered bodies and butchered engine if not Frankenstein engine

Imported cars have a good looking body due to strict laws within the Western worlds standards, but doesnt mean the car is perfect engine suspension might be gone and the engine might be good but with high mileage meaning high risk of failure, so in terms of western world the car would be expensive to fit, therefore they get sold cheap or scrapped.

All those ball joint failing pictures of honda cars are not due to honda's fault those are due to poor maintenance practise, in UK any car which more than 3 years old goes for what is called MOT TEST, in simple terms the TEST checks if the car is roadworth to be on the road, so things like brake disk, brake pads, brake pipes, full suspension, headlights, indicators/blinkers/ aka trafficator, emissions, windows screen, wipers, seatbealt, tyres, corrosion etc are all checked to ensure that the car is road worthy to drive

Even a number plate can fail in UK our number plate are plastic, is the number plate is distorted with dirty that can fail a car
so in general those cars look better than the their cousin back home but doesnt mean their are perfect

one simple equation to master

on average UK and USA car range between 10000 -13000 miles per year mileage so always multiply the age of the car by 10/13 000 to have an average mileage on the car eg a 2006 car x 13000 so 14 years old car x 13000 =1820000miles

vin check doesnt give much information in terms of the cars maintenance, it only gives you history of any major accidents that where put into the national data base

so just be open minded with these cars

Total nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: Are Tokumbo Cars Really Worth The Price by Kanoski(m): 7:49pm On Dec 04, 2020
Kingsdave:
5...10...15k miles... depending on the oil
:o15k miles...
Odikwa risky oo
Re: Are Tokumbo Cars Really Worth The Price by ZIMDRILL(m): 8:13pm On Dec 04, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Total nonsense.

ok
Re: Are Tokumbo Cars Really Worth The Price by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:30pm On Dec 04, 2020
ZIMDRILL:

ok

You have a a habit of talking total rubbish about things you don't know.

News flash: the entire world isn't the UK.

1 Like

Re: Are Tokumbo Cars Really Worth The Price by ZIMDRILL(m): 8:42pm On Dec 04, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

You have a a habit of talking total rubbish about things you don't know.

News flash: the entire world isn't the UK.

read carefully

i never said UK represents the world, if you say in NIGERIA WE SO SUCH AND SUCH" does doesnt it mean it represents the world ? an sure the answers is NO
Re: Are Tokumbo Cars Really Worth The Price by Kingsdave(m): 2:44pm On Dec 05, 2020
Kanoski:

:o15k miles...
Odikwa risky oo
Yes odi risky mine no de reach 5k for a whole yea sef.... I service mine ones a year.... n.a. only 2k miles I have done a whole year but I will still change it sha

(1) (Reply)

Help! Conversion Of Diesel Engine To Petrol / Any Danger Starting Car With The A/C On? / Help Needed On A Transmission Related Issue.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.