Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,080 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:16 AM

Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! (3537 Views)

Poll: Would This New Technology Solve Nigeria's Election Rigging Problems?

Yes: 26% (8 votes)
No: 73% (22 votes)
This poll has ended

Why Do Nigerians Always Ignore The Obvious? INEC Anti-rigging Solution! (photo) / Why Do Nigerians Always Ignore The Obvious? INEC Anti-rigging Solution! (Photo) / Jonathan "moves" Anti-rigging Court Of Appeal Judge Out Of The Way (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! by Razorr(f): 9:50am On Jun 29, 2007
A Nigerian businessman based in the United Kingdom, Mr. Ben Aghanya, has invented a machine that can prevent election rigging and foster the growth of democracy in Nigeria.

Demonstrating the invention to newsmen in Enugu on Thursday, Aghanya said he designed the machine to prevent a recurrence of the malpractices that characterised the last general election in the country.

According to him, the machine, christened Electro -Mechanical Voting System, relies on internally-connected 12 volts DC power and battery , making it independent of electricity supply.

He explained that EMVS was designed to eliminate the catalogue of problems associated with electoral systems in Nigeria, assuring that the machine could reduce electoral fraud to the barest minimum.

Aghanya, who is the Managing Director of Ajacin Engineering Limited, stated that he was motivated to go into research for the production of the machine by what he described as the anomaly in the nation‘s electoral system.

He said, ” I have taken part in past elections in Nigeria and I have witnessed anomalies but nobody has come out with a solution . I was particularly not happy with the way Anambra State Governor, Peter Obi, was rigged out in the state in 2003. ”

Hilighting the attributes of his invention, he said that the machine has a memory which can store evidence of polling exercise for as long as possible, stressing that the essential parts are tamper-proof, a safeguard against the manipulation of evidence.

Aghanya said, ” The EMVS is secure for the following reasons: More than one person is required to control the voting process - minimizing rigging or connivance . All essential system units are locked . The machine has memory which can be stored as evidence as long as possible.”

He called on the Federal Government and the Independent National Electoral Commission to discard the old manual balloting system and adopt the machine, promising to mass produce it locally in order to provide employment for many Nigerians.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200706293273046

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! by Razorr(f): 9:56am On Jun 29, 2007
Methinks a machine like this is desperately needed in our electoral system.    embarassed  I'm sure you'll all agree. 
Re: Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! by wormedup(m): 10:30am On Jun 29, 2007
it's a nice invention but that's not our problem here.
our problems are entirely based on human beings and not technology.

that machine is going to be operated by someone or a group people.

what's the assurance these people will refuse the quick cash ?
Re: Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! by Razorr(f): 10:33am On Jun 29, 2007
Wormy, I wish I could say I understand your post, but unfortunately, I don't. 

The guy said 'Anti-Rigging' machine. That means rigging won't be possible, so what art thou talking about?
Re: Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! by wormedup(m): 10:37am On Jun 29, 2007
ok let me make it simple;

will the poll result be calculated and read out to the media/public by the machine or human beings ?

*Anti-rigging i'd have preferred anti-election rigging machine; then we'll be certain there'll be a post-election rigging *
Re: Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! by Razorr(f): 10:40am On Jun 29, 2007
Geez, the guy said 'anti-rigging', so we need to ask him what provisions he has made for that! cool
Re: Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! by Razorr(f): 10:43am On Jun 29, 2007
Wormy, nawa for you o. It is an 'anti election Rigging' Machine.

Didn't you read the article?

I'm sure there would be provisions for the Press to monitor the results from the Machine. That's if Yar Adua adopts it anyway!
Re: Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! by wormedup(m): 10:44am On Jun 29, 2007
so long as this "machine" is not gonna be connected directly to my PC and mobile phones, there's big room for a rigging !

then again, can my network providers be bribed to alter information ? tongue
Re: Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! by wormedup(m): 10:48am On Jun 29, 2007
Razorr:

Wormy, nawa for you o. It is an 'anti election Rigging' Machine.

so what happens to post-election rigging ?
Re: Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! by Razorr(f): 10:50am On Jun 29, 2007
Geez Wormy, have some faith in the country now. . .  shocked

Besides, let's trust uncle Yar Adua a bit. Since he declared his assets yesterday, it might be a sign of good things to come.  grin
Re: Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! by Razorr(f): 10:51am On Jun 29, 2007
Wormy, Election == Pre-election + Post-election! grin grin
Re: Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! by Razorr(f): 11:40am On Jun 29, 2007
Razorr:

Hilighting the attributes of his invention, he said that the machine has a memory which can store evidence of polling exercise for as long as possible, stressing that the essential parts are tamper-proof, a safeguard against the manipulation of evidence.

Aghanya said, ” The EMVS is secure for the following reasons: More than one person is required to control the voting process - minimizing rigging or connivance . All essential system units are locked . The machine has memory which can be stored as evidence as long as possible.”

Re: Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! by Razorr(f): 11:43am On Jun 29, 2007
I'm still trying to get a picture of the machine. When I do, I'll post it. cool cool
Re: Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! by angel101(f): 12:00pm On Jun 29, 2007
No be human beings go operate the machine? wormedup is right. the problem is with the human factor not machines. dont ballot boxes work for other counties? If the officials are corrupt, this wonder machine wont stop them shikena!
Re: Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! by Bolarge(m): 12:26pm On Jun 29, 2007
Machine go talk im own
Prof Iwuruwuru go announce anoda tin
Dem go swear in Rigger Winner
Dem go scatter soja for town to shi any bagga wey wan protest
Life goes on. . .  grin
Re: Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! by initiator(m): 12:51pm On Jun 29, 2007
A succesful election needs a blend of human and technical factors. At least this guy has profered a technical one. 1 good thing i see in the machine (@ least from what i read) is that it can store votes as long as possible. This is good cos the loss of materials/evidence is what is stalling the election tribunals presently. Perhaps his machine needs more constructive scrutiny so it can be better. Getting elections right is a wholistic thing - technology and people.
Re: Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! by initiator(m): 12:52pm On Jun 29, 2007
A succesful election needs a blend of human and technical factors. At least this guy has profered a technical one. 1 good thing i see in the machine (@ least from what i read) is that it can store votes as long as possible. This is good cos the loss of materials/evidence is what is stalling the election tribunals presently. Perhaps his machine needs more constructive scrutiny so it can be better. Getting elections right is a wholistic thing - technology and people.
Re: Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! by Razorr(f): 1:00pm On Jun 29, 2007
Thank you Initiator. Someone says something positive at last.  cool
Re: Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! by wormedup(m): 1:23pm On Jun 29, 2007
initiator,

remember the time two steamers got lost
what's a ballot box compared to a ship ! ? tongue
Re: Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! by TayoD(m): 1:31pm On Jun 29, 2007
@topic,

No be battery the thing dey use? Need i say more?
Re: Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! by initiator(m): 2:05pm On Jun 29, 2007
@ wormedup the guy didnt say the machines would be shipped. He said it can be mass produced in nig.
Your cynicism is not misplaced for this is nigeria but we dont give up on the system, do we? Electoral reform encompasses constitutional review, electoral reform, THE SACK OF IWU and yes, full proof machines.
Re: Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! by Bankole01(m): 2:42pm On Jun 29, 2007
It not a machine that will make Nigeria's elections credible, but the will of the people conducting the elections itself.
As much as I will like to comend the guy on his invention, there are already machines or ordinary ballot boxes available for use. What we have missing is upright electoral and governing bodies who want to be fair in elections. This we witnessed in the sham April elections conducted by Iwu and PDP.
Re: Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! by denex: 3:05pm On Jun 29, 2007
This is the same e-voting system that Iwuruwuru called for initially but we rejected it. So what are we now saying? This Aghanyi guy did not invent anything. He just imported it.

This type of voting must first register accurate individual identities of Nigerians through finger prints or retinal scan. In fact, I think I prefer recording it with retinal scan so that during the voting, if anybody's records are not found in the system, or the system finds the person has registered more than once, it will just burn out the person's retinae.

Now that is a real anti-rigging system. By the time one person goes blind because of double voting, everybody will straighten up. I wonder how many political thugs will agree to risk going blind for N1000 bribe.
Re: Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! by angel101(f): 3:09pm On Jun 29, 2007
denex:

In fact, I think I prefer recording it with retinal scan so that during the voting, if anybody's records are not found in the system, or the system finds the person has registered more than once, it will just burn out the person's retinae.

Now that is a real anti-rigging system. By the time one person goes blind because of double voting, everybody will straighten up. I wonder how many political thugs will agree to risk going blind for N1000 bribe.

LOL!! Is that how it actually works?
Re: Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! by Afam(m): 3:16pm On Jun 29, 2007
Invent? Don't think so.

No machine can stop rigging, in fat it will make it easier if the riggers know what to do. A simple line of code can guarantee a landslide for a particular party by increasing the votes of a party by 300 for every vote that gets to any other party.

Well sha, in a city full of blind people one eyed man na king.
Re: Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! by damoche07(m): 3:39pm On Jun 29, 2007
Let him start watching his back.Our politicains wont be happy with this.
Re: Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! by Iman3(m): 6:21pm On Jun 29, 2007
This is more a case of crude self promotion than anything significant.
Re: Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! by denex: 8:03pm On Jun 29, 2007
I've said it that the only effective e-voting system must first register accurate individual identities of Nigerians using retinal scan since no 2 people have the same retinal identification. Anybody that registers twice or does not register, during the voting, if the person's records are not found in the system, or the system finds the person has registered more than once, as his eyes come near, it will just burn out the person's retinae. No long story.

When two or three have tried and tested its blinding effectiveness, rigging will reduce drastically, in fact, voting will reduce drastically. I wonder how many area boys will agree to risk going blind for any politician.

And I am very pissed at this clown you imported e-voting machines and is trying to pass them off as his invention. So he thought he was going to dazzle us?
Re: Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! by naijaway(m): 9:13pm On Jun 29, 2007
This is a good story and should be appaulded. It might need some further advancements but is a good spirit and a good way to start.
Re: Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! by fromuk(m): 10:16pm On Jun 30, 2007
Anti -Rigging Machine? good but who will sanction the use of the machine the same politician that wants to rig the election or we that are being rigged. If the leter is the case that makes the machine more than a perfect invention but if its the former, brodas and sistas lets forget and the inventor please try another country to market your product otherwise you are doomed.
Re: Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! by NINETOFIVE(m): 11:03pm On Jun 30, 2007
God why am a brother to some of these people, you are all bunch of phucking pessimist, Kudos to the inventor, we  need more people like that, is very evident that if the machine could be able to retain data's for long, then it might be possible to improve it to calculate results instantly [ ie if he has not done that ], the fact that is using battery is not a problem [ for it to retain information he would have introduced a back up system or back up battery ], it could be converted to use electricity, I think the guy is thinking of on the line of power failure which is prevalent in Nigeria, people invented cash machine and today is efficient and save, this reminds of ''proda'' from Anambra state, don't you think that you are all pulling us back?.
Re: Nigerian Invents Anti-Rigging Machine! by nazzyon(m): 11:08pm On Jun 30, 2007
I really admire his courage and sensitivity.

Anti-Rigging: It will only work at the polling booth.

What I see about the elections here in Nigeria is if we put boosting the figure aside, I have some couple of idea about  methods that might reduce rigging. May be it will be my project

All they can do is the usual procedure will still continue for a while because the process will never be designed soon.

First and foremost Nigerian government will need a dedicated wireless internet  (Fast internet speed @ its peak).

We need to design a machine more like the one this guy just designed.

But what will be done is just that every thumb print on the machine will instantly be uplink to the net and will instantly reflect at the office of INEC.

With this process, if anyone who has voted before tries to vote at another polling station the new machine will be alerted and it will trigger an alarm. This will deny the persons vote.

I already have the project outlined but I still need to learn more before I can start anything.

With this machine the only way that cheating might occur is after the final collation. And some adds his/her own figure to it.

And with this device it will also work for population sensors and a host of other services.

It will never come to use soonest. Hopefully it will come to pass.

If the Ministry of Technology can improve in their services it is just a thing which I or someone else will present to them and they will carry out the project. But I have been discourage once by them. S

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos State Govt - Are They On Crack?! / 2011: EFCC Seeks Psychiatric Test For Aspirants / NIMASA Intercepts Vessel With Petroleum Products

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.