Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,159 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:25 AM

If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank (7293 Views)

How To Buy Airtime Directly From Your Bank Without Internet Or Using The Atm / How To Check Your Bank Account Balance Using Your Mobile Phone / Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by Gettolove(m): 11:27am On Jun 29, 2007
If You Are Over Paid At The Bank, Would You Return The Excess?

There is a notice in almost every banks warning us to always confirm our money before leaving the counter, meanwhile, due to the human nature, some cashiers sometimes over pay customers and the ball is now in the customer's court.

I will like to know your own side of this because of the fact that if one is under-paid in the same bank, it is certain that your complain would not be entertained.
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by pincky(f): 11:56am On Jun 29, 2007
i would not return the money know why coz most these banks nor dey try at all,i hav been through hell in banks liuke UBA and Oceanic so i would just say they have compensated me for all the stress theyhave put me through and for those rediculose charges.
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by jesusfreak(f): 12:00pm On Jun 29, 2007
its a moral decison but if i were overpaid and i knew it, id return d money ASAP!

i just wont be comfy knowing someone will suffer for my greed

1 Like

Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by Everbright(f): 12:02pm On Jun 29, 2007
Definitely I am going to call his attention.
When you are underpaid,lay your complaints. As far as you are still within the shores of the counter,they don't have any choice but to complete your payment.I've had an experience before and thank heavens I was still at the counter. When I explained,they had to recount the money and I was right.Shekina they paid my money sharp sharp.

I was thrilled by an action from a security girl one day.she was in the banking hall and saw a big bundle of N[/color]500 note,nobody was watching,but she picked it and took to her superior.Shortly after, a man came spitting fire that his driver he sent to the bank was underpaid by close to N[color=Black]200,000
And the teller was very sure he paid thesame amount on the cheque.The security guard later brought the money and the man then realized the driver was at fault.
What am I saying, the girl even though needs that money more than anything,she still was not tempted to make it hers.
I think everyone one should learn from that.
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by tomlennox: 12:19pm On Jun 29, 2007
i've been overpaid b4 in UBA (3k) , i returned it the next day, and she didnt even say "thank you" ,
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by Gettolove(m): 1:15pm On Jun 29, 2007
The amount involved will be my own determinat, if na big money.

bros grin grin
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by moneytalk(m): 1:33pm On Jun 29, 2007
You are all lying na only view that will say the truth if by omission or commission i was overpaid I WILL CHOP THE MONEY, after all its not my fault, ask the bank if they underpaid u once u left their premises will they pay u back? shocked cheesy
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by bodsibobo(m): 2:04pm On Jun 29, 2007
I was thrilled by an action from a security girl one day.she was in the banking hall and saw a big bundle of N500 note,nobody was watching,but she picked it and took to her superior.Shortly after, a man came spitting fire that his driver he sent to the bank was underpaid by close to N200,000
And the teller was very sure he paid thesame amount on the cheque.The security guard later brought the money and the man then realized the driver was at fault.
What am I saying, the girl even though needs that money more than anything,she still was not tempted to make it hers.
I think everyone one should learn from that.

Was the security girl rewarded? by the bank or customer?

In any case it happened to me once although it was office money. I was once sent by our office to draw 35,000+ naira from Credit Lyonnais bank down the road in 1998. The cashier wrongly paid 53,000+ (maybe she read the figures the opposite way). I did not even count but took it straight to the office and handed it over to the cashier.

After making some petty cash payments she realised I brought back more money. She called me, we reconciled and realised the mistake. I had to take it back to the bank and also the teller did not even say thank you. She was heavily pregnant though, so I never minded.

But I still ask myself what would I have done if na only me realise that error before delivering the cash to the office? That time I still dey below the poverty line o!

But as at now, I'm sure I will return it.
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by jesusfreak(f): 2:14pm On Jun 29, 2007
like i said, its a thing of morality.

no qualms if u can justify taking money that doesnt belong to u but i cant!
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by samueline(f): 3:58pm On Jun 29, 2007
tom_lennox:

i've been overpaid before in UBA (3k) , i returned it the next day, and she didnt even say "thank you" ,

QUOTE FROM BODSIBOBO

In any case it happened to me once although it was office money. I was once sent by our office to draw 35,000+ naira from Credit Lyonnais bank down the road in 1998. The cashier wrongly paid 53,000+ (maybe she read the figures the opposite way). I did not even count but took it straight to the office and handed it over to the cashier.

After making some petty cash payments she realised I brought back more money. She called me, we reconciled and realised the mistake. I had to take it back to the bank and also the teller did not even say thank you. She was heavily pregnant though, so I never minded. END OF QUOTE.

Its funny that when d money is returned one hardly gets a thank you in return. On the day I passed out from the NYSC scheme, My State Govt. gave us 8k each but with bank deductions we were to be paid about 7500.

We had a very long queue and when it was my turn I was overpaid twice. The first time the lady paid me above 8k, I gave her back all d money to recount. She realised her error but she didnt show any appreciation. The second time she paid me exactly 8k. I told her n she only removed d excess n started attending to d next person.

I actually felt bad. But I am sure I will still return any excess paid to me by any cashier.
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by Maleeq(m): 4:31pm On Jun 29, 2007
I was overpaid (N5 in coins)about two weeks ago at UBA.
I returned it not out of goodwill but cos the coins were annoying.
I dont know if I'll be that nice if the amount was greater.
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by Beline(f): 4:40pm On Jun 29, 2007
I'll simply return the excess, this has happened several time and i returned them, one day i was underpaid by the then Broad Bank and because I do returned any excess to them when I went back to the back they pay me the balance which was N1,000.

Please always return any excess given to you in the bank because the cashiers do bear the cost not the bank
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by alleno: 4:42pm On Jun 29, 2007
, i believe its a moral issue.
, but one should think of the individual male/female, friend/foe who will suffer for such an error
, or worst still loose a job
, in this hard times when money dey look face, shocked
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by phemmy26(m): 4:50pm On Jun 29, 2007
When you go to a bank and u make a withdrawal , they tell u to always count before you leave the premises. Why? You don't expect to them to give back money to anyone who comes back to tell them its not complete because there is little or no assurance that you would be paid back.

Also its the duty of the banks/cashiers to count the money before paying to the customers. If you are overpaid then the chances of me giving them back the money is? grin

NO ASSURANCE grin grin grin cool

Tit for tat grin grin
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jun 29, 2007
If they reward you or not, it is morally right to return any overpayment.
Keeping the money is plain stealing, ie taking what does not belong to you. The cashier will have to refund the money so its not the banks problem.
If you ever think of working away with an overpayment, Please do not. Put yourself in the shoes of the cashier
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by donmayor(m): 5:43pm On Jun 29, 2007
I had to make 10k payment to my school in a bank for damages that I did not carry out. I entered the bank, filled a teller, had the teller stamped and walked out of the bank with the 10k in my pocket unknowingly. The next day I saw the 10k in my pocket and I was smiling at my good fortune. I had evidence of payment without paying. I knew the cashier would have to pay it from his pocket and I did not feel good with that even though the damages I was paying for was not justified. I had to tell my sister to return the money to the bank.
I would always return the excess if I am overpaid anywhere.
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by lolypop: 6:08pm On Jun 29, 2007
pls, be a good samaritan when ever you are mistakenly paid.
It may be your turn tomorrow.
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by champredd(m): 9:56pm On Jun 29, 2007
Mine is simple, if you don't return the amount by which you are overpaid, then you are a thief.  If my friend do that I 'll be  shocked .
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by hbrednic: 10:00pm On Jun 29, 2007
i will return the money only to clear my mind,
the chashier's problem is in no way my problem, he is payed to do the job.
so he has to bear the consquences of his mistake and learn from it.
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by Orosunnuku(m): 10:44pm On Jun 29, 2007
I will simply return the money. My account was once credited twice when i was a corper, way back in 1987. The cashier posted N400 into my account instead of N200 and i called his attention to it. He was quite greatful and we became good friends thereafter.
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by astronp7(m): 10:51pm On Jun 29, 2007
The truth is that such a money need to be returned not because of the amount involved. Our today is a product of our yesterday. And what we do today have direct effect on our tomorrow.

Please I beg all of us not to try to keep such money. Either you get rewarded immediately or later. "As long as the Earth remains, seed time and harvest time will never seize" , says the Good Book.

The idea to keep the comes while giving it a second taught. Many have suffered badly without any explaination just because of their actions in the past. Also fortune can also come that way too.

Be good. It pays! Good luck.
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by tonitone1(m): 12:54am On Jun 30, 2007
The best thing to do without even thinking otherwise is to return the money, about 3wks ago i was at Zenith bank at Oba Akran to w/draw cash to pay for my daughter's school fees, but when i got to her school which happened to be on a friday, i discovered i was overpaid by N10,000! and i was already in Festac by 3.30pm, ofcourse i can't go back same day, thus i checked for any Zenith phone nos, i got one on my ATM card and i put a call to Oba Akran branch that i was overpaid and will be returning the cash by sat, and that was is it, i dont even need to see the cashier that paid me, it was't neccessary but the fact was my conscience was free . smiley smiley
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by spoilt(f): 6:09am On Jun 30, 2007
people who think they have hit jack pot when they are over paid should remember that it is another poor soul's job at stake. that teller will have to cough out every penny , maybe get fired. he could have a family, a baby on the way? kids? its sooo not worth the crap you'll spend that money on.
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by outlaws(m): 7:14am On Jun 30, 2007
cool

I wish that could happen. The banks here hire smart kids to operate the banks. This kids are too smart that they haven't given me a penny [kobo] short or over paid. Assuming knowing this kids are only going to get smarter, the computer shut down in the middle of a transaction and the teller handed more money. I will be gone and never even for a second think of returning it. I have used different banks, they all sucks. They won't even let me open account with them now. I used U.S. Bank. That one, is another high tech 419 on its own. Charging too much overdraft, late fees and interests rates. All my accounts with them are canceled, I no long have to deal with all that shit.
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by sartorius(m): 8:11am On Jun 30, 2007
the excess is my value added tax
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by Gettolove(m): 9:13am On Jun 30, 2007
Those of you that are saying the money should be returned must tell our banks to also remove those notices saying
'PLEASE CONFIRM YOUR MONEY BEFORE LEAVING THE COUNTER AS THE BANK WILL NOT MAKE GOOD ANY SHORTAGE'

I beleive the above is only to the advantage of the bank because whatever happens, the bank has protected its own staff from being liable to any claim in respect of the subject matter. In order to balance the inequality, I will suggest that customers too should also carry a tag saying ;

PLEASE CONFIRM YOUR MONEY B4 GIVEN IT TO ME AS I WILL NOT RETURN ANY EXCESS lipsrsealed
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by naira4doll(m): 9:53am On Jun 30, 2007
I do withdraw money running into and above millions. in most cases, i don't count them, i just pay into another bank or to an individual hoping it's ok.

As a kid, I've been returning money. Thos days, the woman selling will over give me change, my grandmother will ask me to return it that good name is better than money.

As for now, I'll return it, the fruit of honesty is God's blessing.
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by Everbright(f): 12:55pm On Jun 30, 2007
Annoyingly,the junk man gave the poor girl only N500
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by omoge(f): 1:38pm On Jun 30, 2007
my lady friend was overpaid. the job she worked for paid more than her salary to her bank. she was excited and went to cash it. happy to buy a expensivve ipod, she also put in down payment for a plasma tv for her new house. 1month later, her office asked she refund the money. she was shocked and was gisting me, at first i laughed but felt pity for her. she made arrangement for deduction from her salary  shocked

another lady was over paid, there was an accounting error and was paid 17k instead of 71. she was happy and said she had been praying for a financial break through. she gave some to church, bought car seat for her lil baby, changed stuffs in the house with the money. she was sued because when the office found the mistake and contacted her, she told them it was their problem and that God has blessed her. in court, the judge told her she is a thief. that she should have returned the money. Judgement: she has to pay back.

so in oyinbo world, if you are over paid, just don't spend it cuz no matter how long it takes them, they will figure it out and then you must pay back  grin
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by choco4life(m): 5:30pm On Jun 30, 2007
I think it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than a cashier paying you over at the counter,it does happen but very few cases i ve seen.
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by pastorking(m): 6:07pm On Jun 30, 2007
A friend of mine just got a job with Ecobank recently.

For the first 3 to 4 months, he was getting only about a quater of his salary due to the shortages he kept having at the counter daily. This shortages was as a result of overpaying custormers at the counter (Remember this was his first job with voluminous cash-handling). There was even this month he lost so much that he had to forgo his salary for two months before the deductions could make up for what he lost. Though he has outgrown this, I used to really pity him a lot. I think this is one reason we owe God the obligation of not taking a kobo one never worked for. Remember the scripture "whatsoever a man soweth; so shall he reap".

You have two voices struggling for prominence and control of your life. One is the voice of the devil, while the other is the voice of the Holy Spirit. Do not allow the devil to overshadow you by yielding to his voice. It is the devil that keep telling you not to return the money, it can even give you up to 100 reasons why you must not refund the cash. But try as much as you can no matter the weight of the other voice not to subdue to the sweet and gentle voice of the Holy Ghost that will only talk you once or twice that you need to return the money as it is not yours.

Try to create a good name for yourself and equally remember that after here, there is another life in Heaven. Who knows, may be satan has seen what God has in stock for you and it brings about this temptation just to make you unqualified for such blessing in the eye of GOD. Remember, satan knows the tactics to use in robbing you of your blessing. That "one kobo" you call a blessing could rob you off the only "breakthrough" you need to make it in this life.

WATCH OUT!
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by AbujaBoy(m): 6:16am On Jul 01, 2007
ATM

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Raise Capital Without Going To The Bank Or Collateral / MTN IPO To Be Executed In Two Phases Amid Row With FG / Urgent Info! Distributorship For Nestle or P&G Nigeria Products.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.