Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,564 members, 7,812,829 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:10 PM

Addressing The Menace Called African Time - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Addressing The Menace Called African Time (7149 Views)

Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas / Addressing Discrimination Against The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria / Early Marriage A Menace In Our Society By Ugbali Augustine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Addressing The Menace Called African Time by pocohantas(f): 1:16pm On Dec 07, 2020
Yes I created it in Culture section because it seems to be our way of life. grin

How do Nigerians do it?

They are always on time for a movie at the cinema, but never for appointments, lectures, occasions, trainings...etc

In fact, it is now an aberration to be an early bird. I looked like the odd one out sometime ago because I was right there on time. A meeting scheduled for 9am, there I was by 8:42am and no one in sight but the speaker. They started trooping in one after the other. It took us about 90mins to get a reasonable number, just enough to start the meeting.

Today something similar repeated itself.

It is so annoying. Don't they have clocks or what? Why are many Nigerians not time conscious?

I have only attended very few public events that actually started on time with a reasonable number of people. We have to wage a war against this menace called African Time.

angry angry angry

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by Kondomatic(m): 1:36pm On Dec 07, 2020
A thread to address the menace called African time was created @ exactly 1:16PM.

Its now 1:34PM and people still haven't showed up to comment

Modified

I submitted this comment at exactly 1:34PM but Airtel didn't post it until
1:36PM.

grin

144 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by Froshloaded: 2:00pm On Dec 07, 2020
Kondomatic:
A thread to address the menace called African time was created @ exactly 1:16PM.

grin

10 Likes

Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by honey001(m): 2:53pm On Dec 07, 2020
Kondomatic:

It's over....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by meobizy(f): 3:03pm On Dec 07, 2020
They are always on time for a movie at the cinema, but never for appointments, lectures, occasions, trainings...etc
It’s very obvious why anyone will come for those events late; they are boring. If you come late for a movie na you do yourself. I recently learned white people don’t come extraordinarily early like the article cited as an example. White people normally arrive a minute to the event’s start. I assume their daily lives are boring hence any form of stimulation is readily accepted. Africans live interesting lives so catching our attention is no easy feat; we choose to come at whatever time we appoint for the event and not the event dictating our movement.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by iamyemiakins(m): 4:38pm On Dec 07, 2020
We have to wage a war against this menace called African Time.

Waging a war on African time is just like waging a war on corruption in Nigeria, it never really yields positive results. All these things have gotten deep in every Nigerian system and continually generates more problems.

Lots of rot in the system!

6 Likes

Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by revived: 4:45pm On Dec 07, 2020
Shiiii
Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by Bornsinner7: 4:45pm On Dec 07, 2020
Is okay
Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by Enoch07: 4:45pm On Dec 07, 2020
e no go ever end. na Africa mentality issue

1 Like

Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by Ekakamba: 4:46pm On Dec 07, 2020

No be lie. So annoying. undecided
Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by virginboy1(m): 4:46pm On Dec 07, 2020
The next Generation will stop this menace.

For now we Soro soke generation wanna reduce bad government menace. angry

1 Like

Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by samuel19222(m): 4:46pm On Dec 07, 2020
Africa for you.

Dell inspiron 1010 mini for sale at a cheap price

https://www.nairaland.com/6301370/dell-inspiron-10-mini-sale

Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by Curvinus(m): 4:46pm On Dec 07, 2020
According to the great physicist, Albert Einstein's theory of relativity, time is an illusion. In other words, what we consider as early or late or the passing phase of time does not correspond to physical reality.

2 Likes

Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by slawormiir: 4:46pm On Dec 07, 2020
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright
Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by virginboy1(m): 4:46pm On Dec 07, 2020
One of the setting in Nja deviod of the African Time factor is when people are going for a JOB INTERVIEW .

grin
Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by DexterousOne(m): 4:46pm On Dec 07, 2020
Kondomatic:

Lmao

3 Likes

Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by Orissodiq: 4:47pm On Dec 07, 2020
I believed in #AFRICA TIME before i traveled to the North for my NYSC (SOKOTO) one of the MALAM that have a shop close to my house invited me to Aure (wedding) and it was stated that they gonna start d wedding by 10am. I tot dia will be African time like we used to do in d WEST and went dia with my friends around 11 or 12 only to c that they have finished all the programs including d food as well. I missed like 2 events like dat.

7 Likes

Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by solabiyi01(m): 4:47pm On Dec 07, 2020
Forget am..

It can't be addressed, it can only be dressed grin

1 Like

Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by Fvckhypocrite(f): 4:47pm On Dec 07, 2020
Na naw dis tin hit fp?

Nawaoo.....

@op this mentality takes discipline to be erased.
Alot of people go to job interview late takless of cinema!!
Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by Shamelessman01: 4:47pm On Dec 07, 2020
Se mojo charity

Make I go baff I get occasion for 4
Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by yeyeboi(m): 4:48pm On Dec 07, 2020
Ok
Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by whytediamond(m): 4:48pm On Dec 07, 2020
Bleep
Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by revvitandrenon: 4:49pm On Dec 07, 2020
When you read 10:00 on any Nigerian Occasion card, know the start up time is 11:00.

Mr. A wouldn't want to leave home first, he has the mentality that no one is there and same applicable to Mr. B....And that's unending circle continues.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by Nobody: 4:49pm On Dec 07, 2020
Ok
Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by Judolisco(m): 4:49pm On Dec 07, 2020
Make I wait make people comment first grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by Nobody: 4:49pm On Dec 07, 2020
lol cheesy
Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by Lincoln275(m): 4:49pm On Dec 07, 2020
Hmmmm!
Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by ekevwe(m): 4:50pm On Dec 07, 2020
pocohantas:
Yes I created it in Culture section because it seems to be our way of life. grin

How do Nigerians do it?

In fact, it is now an aberration to be an early bird. I looked like the odd one out sometime ago because I was right there on time. A meeting scheduled for 9am, there I was by 8:42am and no one in sight but the speaker. They started trooping in one after the other. It took us about 90mins to get a reasonable number, just enough to start the meeting.

Today something similar repeated itself.

It is so annoying. Don't they have clocks or what? Why are many Nigerians not time conscious?

I have only attended very few public events that actually started on time with a reasonable number of people. We have to wage a war against this menace called African Time.

angry angry angry

We just have to be discipline to overcome it. I termed it as laziness time. Not Africa man time.

1 Like

Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by Plut01: 4:50pm On Dec 07, 2020

People have been addressing this issue before I was born and in some situation, the people addressing it are always the main culprits.

We can continue to address it, talk about it till tomorrow, African time has come to stay.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Killing Of Twins In The Olden Days... / The Expansion Of Binin And The Trend Of Igbo Development. / A Comprehensive Collection Of Early Igbo Novels, Plays, And Treatises

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.