Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,466 members, 7,830,335 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:53 PM

Addressing The Menace Called African Time - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Addressing The Menace Called African Time (7173 Views)

Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas / Addressing Discrimination Against The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria / Early Marriage A Menace In Our Society By Ugbali Augustine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by Gwan2(m): 6:43pm On Dec 07, 2020
meobizy:
It’s very obvious why anyone will come for those events late; they are boring. If you come late for a movie na you do yourself. I recently learned white people don’t come extraordinarily early like the article cited as an example. White people normally arrive a minute to the event’s start. I assume their daily lives are boring hence any form of stimulation is readily accepted. Africans live interesting lives so catching our attention is no easy feat; we choose to come at whatever time we appoint for the event and not the event dictating our movement.

You are very very wrong. Lateness or lacklustre attitude to time is ingrained in most African body setup because most times, there are no adequate systems put in place to checkmate this anomaly efficiently and effectively with punitive measures meted out regardless of status. Time is everything. The difference between a richman and poorman, a prosperous and poor society, infact everything is time.

Do you know why developed country pay you per hour rate of work and developing or under-develop countries pay per month or sometimes per quater??..Paying you per hour enables me the employer to checkmate your activities within shorter durations efficiently and maximise every penny you received as paycheck...your work rate will be far far more efficient than if I monitor you output occasionally within a month of paycheck. That stimulates productivity, efficiency, enthusiasm and quality output. Everything here is time, infact immediately you land in any develop country, as far as you are using a digital watch, the time automatically adjust to that country's time, both hour, minutes and seconds. Everybody time reads same on their watches. So the idea of sir, my watch was showing 10minutes to 8 instead of pass 8 as is normally used in most Nigerian organisation to excuse lateness or ineptitude is eliminated

If you master time, you have unravel 80% of the mysteries of the world.......So the notion your posit about the white having a dull and boring life reason for their good time management is completely off. If you are a young man, I'd advise you to try and understand the mystery of time and the world will be at your feet.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by tunapawizzy: 7:07pm On Dec 07, 2020
the only way Nigerians can stop doing this African time thing is to make them live in Europe......ur bus driver will see u running towards the bus, u will miss appointments because u missed ur bus by 2 seconds, when u use money that can buy 2000 blocks in Nigeria to carry taxi in 1 month becos u dey do african time, u will have sense by force.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by Camelot65: 7:23pm On Dec 07, 2020
Lol, I noticed I keep to time when it's something I'm passionate about....... The other ones, I term boring or time exhausting cheesy
Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by Eyoh01(m): 10:55pm On Dec 07, 2020
I told my boss that I do two jobs, the first one is getting out of bed to go to the second, and na d first one hard pass

next time he vex I'm telling him that even toilet de complain I'm always late
Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by yoursidenigga(m): 11:38pm On Dec 07, 2020
Shamelessman01:
Se mojo charity
Make I go baff I get occasion for 4
and you dey plan baff by 4:47?

1 Like

Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by yoursidenigga(m): 11:40pm On Dec 07, 2020
officialsaw01:
Recently, at my sister's wedding i had made a promise to denial entry to all late-comers on my wedding day.
you never ready be that.

1 Like

Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by Sixfeetbelle: 12:02am On Dec 08, 2020
officialsaw01:
Recently, at my sister's wedding i had made a promise to denial entry to all late-comers on my wedding day.

Abi nah. That's one way of curbing African time grin grin grin

Sha don't go and cause problems for your in-laws that day ooh. Make sure you state it clearly and boldly on your wedding IV that late coming won't be tolerated
Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by QVicky10(f): 9:34am On Dec 08, 2020
Thank you o jare. I stopped going early for events because anytime I went by the stipulated time they were never ready.
thebosstrevor1:
While we are addressing african time

Lets also address, people wasting your time when you get to a place very early

1 Like

Re: Addressing The Menace Called African Time by SavageResponse(m): 11:40pm On Dec 13, 2020
pocohantas:
Yes I created it in Culture section because it seems to be our way of life. grin

How do Nigerians do it?

They are always on time for a movie at the cinema, but never for appointments, lectures, occasions, trainings...etc

In fact, it is now an aberration to be an early bird. I looked like the odd one out sometime ago because I was right there on time. A meeting scheduled for 9am, there I was by 8:42am and no one in sight but the speaker. They started trooping in one after the other. It took us about 90mins to get a reasonable number, just enough to start the meeting.

Today something similar repeated itself.

It is so annoying. Don't they have clocks or what? Why are many Nigerians not time conscious?

I have only attended very few public events that actually started on time with a reasonable number of people. We have to wage a war against this menace called African Time.

angry angry angry

It will be very hard to correct cos unfortunately most Nigerians have accepted African Time as a normal part of life

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sierra Leone (the Most Beautiful West African Country) / Scotland Put Map Of Nigeria In Their Currency / The Killing Of Twins In The Olden Days...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.