Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,897 members, 7,814,033 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:20 AM

Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas (4053 Views)

Addressing The Menace Called African Time / The Invasion Of Oyo Empire By Tsoede,The King Of Nupe In 1457 / Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas by Vado2: 8:50pm On May 12, 2023
It has been misleading to hear some extremely fanciful references to the great Bini empire from Yoruba people. One of the biggest kingdoms ever known to man, expanding its dominion as far as Dahomey. A group of Yoruba intellectuals invented historical myths about the great Bini empire's founders being the Oyo empire in order to rewrite history. When in reality an exiled Bini prince was the one who established the Oyo empire. His name is Prince Ekaladerhan of the great Bini kingdom , awhat the Yoruba scholars called Oduduwa in a bid to rewrite history. The first Bini king was his son because the realm was in upheaval at the time. The Yoruba race was formed by the Binis, not the other way around. In what way is a son older than his father?

5 Likes

Re: Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas by Blackdeewhy(m): 9:00pm On May 12, 2023
Stop searching on Google for our HISTORY.

What's written on web mostly does not portray or tell our TRUE story.

10 Likes

Re: Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas by Nobody: 9:04pm On May 12, 2023
What is the root word for Oba in Benin. What does Amogun mean in Edo?

1 Like

Re: Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas by Vado2: 9:15pm On May 12, 2023
Ajagunakin:
What is the root word for Oba in Benin. What does Amogun mean in Edo?

Oba is an Edo word

3 Likes

Re: Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas by Vado2: 9:17pm On May 12, 2023
AmehTsaev:
Yorubas are unserious people, nobody takes them seriously except themselves. Take out the Lagos factor and you will discover those people are frauds with no true history, many Yorubas were slaves to the Oba of Benin and even the bronze head of ife that they claim was from Oduduwa was actually stolen from the Benin kingdom.

Apt! Those guys have no true history. All lies and fictions to say the least. All great and strong empires have a footprint up till this day, except the fictional Oyo empire. It left no traces of its so-called greatness. No traces at all, only hearsay.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas by OloyeVIII: 9:17pm On May 12, 2023
Is that all? Or will you people still call IPOB into this?

3 Likes

Re: Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas by Creeper: 9:34pm On May 12, 2023
Benin folks are the most deceptive revisionists out there next to Igbos. The way these folks exaggerate the history of Benin kingdom - you won’t even know that the same kingdom was defeated by Owo (multiple times), Mahin, Idah, Esan and a host of other kingdoms. Even the half-Portuguese Itsekiri king almost crushed them but they had to beg for mercy.

The only globally recognised Benin historian, whose book on Benin history is kept at world class libraries and institutions globally, Jacob Egharevba (he was a Benin prince), wrote that, ”Ekaladerhan died in Ughoton” and that ”Eweka was a Yoruba prince from Ife” in his book. So, why the revisionism?

You lot are sick.

31 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas by Nobody: 9:38pm On May 12, 2023
Vado2:

Oba is an Edo word

What is the root word for Oba in Edo and what does it mean?

What is the root word for iya in Edo and what does it mean? I want to see sumtin

5 Likes

Re: Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas by Vado2: 9:49pm On May 12, 2023
Creeper:
Benin folks are the most deceptive revisionists out there next to Igbos. The way these folks exaggerate the history of Benin kingdom - you won’t even know that the same kingdom was defeated by Owo (multiple times), Mahin, Idah, Esan and a host of other kingdoms. Even the half-Portuguese Itsekiri king almost crushed them but they had to beg for mercy.

The only globally recognised Benin historian, whose book on Benin history is kept at world class libraries and institutions globally, Jacob Egharevba (he was a Benin prince), wrote that, ”Ekaladerhan died in Ughoton” and that ”Eweka was a Yoruba prince from Ife” in his book. So, why the revisionism?

You lot are sick.

Contrary to Yoruba history, the greatness of the Bini kingdom was not just legend or fiction. It was obvious even in the eighteenth century. Or were the Binis the ones who declared it to have the biggest man-made wall in history? historians in the West did. The empire was so powerful that it competed head-to-head with the British military. The Yoruba history is fiction, and that much is beyond dispute. a narrative concocted by a group of insane Yoruba historians. The empire has no trace all fiction!

The Benin empire is older than the Oyo empire. How’s that possible since your historians said it was an Oyo prince that formed the great Benin empire??

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas by Godjone(m): 10:41pm On May 12, 2023
The yoruba people cannot migrate from Benin and still be in control of Six states while bini exist only in four local government area

10 Likes

Re: Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas by Vado2: 10:50pm On May 12, 2023
Godjone:
The yoruba people cannot migrate from Benin and still be control of Six states while bini exist only in foul local government area

An internal conflict in the vast Benin kingdom caused them to lose control of several of its domains, including Dahome, Ondo, Lagos, and numerous more territories that were once taken over. The Mongolians once controlled China, did you know that? Compared to China, why is Mongolia so diminutive? All of this occurred in the pre- historic times. Lots of things have taken shape.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas by Creeper: 11:06pm On May 12, 2023
Vado2:

Contrary to Yoruba history, the greatness of the Bini kingdom was not just legend or fiction. It was obvious even in the eighteenth century. Or were the Binis the ones who declared it to have the biggest man-made wall in history? historians in the West did. The empire was so powerful that it competed head-to-head with the British military. The Yoruba history is fiction, and that much is beyond dispute. a narrative concocted by a group of insane Yoruba historians. The empire has no trace all fiction!

The Benin empire is older than the Oyo empire. How’s that possible since your historians said it was an Oyo prince that formed the great Benin empire??

That wasn’t Yoruba history or Yoruba perspective - it’s the real history of Benin, written by a Benin prince who was a historian/academic. His book on Benin kingdom is the universally accepted one that’s kept at Cambridge Uni, Oxford Uni, Harvard, Yale, etc. I actually read the book at SOAS. You can do your Google to confirm what I wrote.

I actually used to think Benin kingdom was an imperial empire, especially because of the moat and how it’s heavily referenced - until I started reading deeper into its history. Benin kingdom was basically the Nigerian version of the British empire - loud name but very vacuous in ingenuity and achievements. British empire was nothing more than a lot of very cunning, manipulative and marauding pirates that mastered divide and conquer - for looting.

Benin kingdom never really had a strong military due to how it was a victim of so many defeats by smaller kingdoms. Its knowledge of arts - terracotta, bronze and brass - came from Ife and Owo. Its crown was from Ife and the titles for a lot of its chiefs came from Owo. Most of its gods are also Yoruba gods.

I think Benin mostly benefited from its proximity to Itsekiris and the fact that it produced so many great artworks that were stolen and taken to European museums. Those artworks are what gave Benin kingdom the notoriety it enjoys today. But once you take that off - Owo and Itsekiri kingdoms were greater. And don’t ever put Benin and Oyo in the same sentence - imperial Oyo was in a different stratosphere.

Anyway, Eweka was a Yoruba prince and Ekaladerhan died in Ughoton (I believe that’s a town in Benin).

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas by Vado2: 11:24pm On May 12, 2023
Creeper:

That wasn’t Yoruba history or Yoruba perspective - it’s the real history of Benin, written by a Benin prince who was a historian/academic. His book on Benin kingdom is the universally accepted one that’s kept at Cambridge Uni, Oxford Uni, Harvard, Yale, etc. I actually read the book at SOAS. You can do your Google to confirm what I wrote.

I actually used to think Benin kingdom was an imperial empire, especially because of the moat and how it’s heavily referenced - until I started reading deeper into its history. Benin kingdom was basically the Nigerian version of the British empire - loud name but very vacuous in ingenuity and achievements. British empire was nothing more than a lot of very cunning, manipulative and marauding pirates that mastered divide and conquer - for looting.

Benin kingdom never really had a strong military due to how it was a victim of so many defeats by smaller kingdoms. Its knowledge of arts - terracotta, bronze and brass - came from Ife and Owo. Its crown was from Ife and the titles for a lot of its chiefs came from Owo. Most of its gods are also Yoruba gods.

I think Benin mostly benefited from its proximity to Itsekiris and the fact that it produced so many great artworks that were stolen and taken to European museums. Those artworks are what gave Benin kingdom the notoriety it enjoys today. But once you take that off - Owo and Itsekiri kingdoms were greater. And don’t ever put Benin and Oyo in the same sentence - imperial Oyo was in a different stratosphere.

Anyway, Eweka was a Yoruba prince and Ekaladerhan died in Ughoton (I believe that’s a town in Benin).

Most of the historical accounts are fictional. Watch this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_sECOyh1cg

2 Likes

Re: Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas by Vado2: 11:27pm On May 12, 2023

1 Like

Re: Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas by Vado2: 11:30pm On May 12, 2023

1 Like

Re: Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas by Gabriel004: 11:39pm On May 12, 2023
Vado2:

Most of the historical accounts are fictional. Watch this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_sECOyh1cg
Mumu, that is what you are.

A random person who does not know his left from right talk rubbish and you are swallowing it.

Go home and ask your father or your current oba of benin that who was the first ever oba of benin and where was he from.

Down here is where the head of your benin King being buried in Ife.

It is called Orun oba Ado.

We have the history

5 Likes

Re: Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas by Kapeter(m): 11:40pm On May 12, 2023
I don't understand this nonsense argument here and there every other day on this matter. The relationship between Bini and Yoruba was somehow document in the Yoruba story so i guess this is why some of our people are always forcing this thing. If the bini people story is clearly different then let them speak their own story fa. I guess being neighbors is maybe responsible for this thing fa. And mind you op, it was Ife and not Oyo. Everything started from Ife.

3 Likes

Re: Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas by Gabriel004: 11:41pm On May 12, 2023
AmehTsaev:
Yorubas are unserious people, nobody takes them seriously except themselves. Take out the Lagos factor and you will discover those people are frauds with no true history, many Yorubas were slaves to the Oba of Benin and even the bronze head of ife that they claim was from Oduduwa was actually stolen from the Benin kingdom.
Osu, we all know you are still nursing the Feb 25 outcome.

Feel free to cry.

It is you and your family personal problem.

4 Likes

Re: Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas by Vado2: 11:51pm On May 12, 2023
Gabriel004:

A random person who does not know his left from right talk rubbish and you are swallowing it.

Go home and ask your father or your current oba of benin that who was the first ever oba of benin and where was he from.

We have the history

Ozuor Ogun gbé. Say Iséé. These are one of the custodians of the Bini history, and not some fictitious story narrated by a bunch of crackheads. If you had watched the Video without any bias you would have gotten a better understanding of the true relationship between the Benin Kingdom and the Yorubas. The Bini kingdom is older than the great Oyo empire. How’s that so??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas by Stoplying: 1:39am On May 13, 2023
Gabriel004:

We have the history
1) Witnesses to the burial of the Oba of Benin in the precolonial era have had their testimony recorded on paper in the precolonial era and it was recorded that it took place around the palace of the Oba, the executions of the wives and ministers of the Oba were even talked about. I don't want to add too much details.
2) your "orun oba ado" was built with European cement technology
3) European alphabets are written all around your "orun Oba ado"
4) the fresh painting of a Benin bronze is upon your "orun oba ado"
5) the only place outside of Benin city in which the Oba of Benin is recorded to have been buried is Calabar.

So it is clear that "orun oba ado" is a fake. It is also clear that your "orun oba ado" was created after colonisation and probably quite recently.
Ife is built with fake stories, nobody ever migrated from Ife, I believe the settlement of Ife is more recent than that of Abeokuta which was created in 1832.

Why are Yoruba always telling lies and always trying to dupe other people ?

Yoruba mostly descend from freed slaves whom the European powers dumped on our shores. Those slaves came into our shores with the ability to read and write and a formal education which the locals (our ancestors) didn't have.
So for a period of time, the yorubas (slave descendants) were the most educated and they duped the locals (at a regular basis) to survive. That dupery turned into a tradition.
Today that tradition is still alive amongst Yoruba, it gave birth to world renown 419.
But the problem today is that everybody has caught up with Yoruba in terms of education, so now we all see you for what you are: a lying 419 culture.

So you should know that telling lies is actually the biggest part of Yoruba culture. Being a good liar is very respectable in Yoruba culture, and it is even celibrated.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas by Odogwuzack: 1:59am On May 13, 2023
Kapeter:
I don't understand this nonsense argument here and there every other day on this matter. The relationship between Bini and Yoruba was somehow document in the Yoruba story so i guess this is why some of our people are always forcing this thing. If the bini people story is clearly different then let them speak their own story fa. I guess being neighbors is maybe responsible for this thing fa. And mind you op, it was Ife and not Oyo. Everything started from Ife.

Lol Thank you.

I'm surprised the OP was talking about Oyo instead of Ife.

The question is, is Benin kingdom older than Ife kingdom?

3 Likes

Re: Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas by Stoplying: 2:02am On May 13, 2023
Kapeter:
And mind you op, it was Ife and not Oyo. Everything started from Ife.
Oyo is actually older than Ife. Also the name Yoruba is the former name of Oyo although it was written yarri.ba.

Ife is not what you guys keep claiming it is ! All those stories a fake.

1 Like

Re: Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas by Stoplying: 2:05am On May 13, 2023
Odogwuzack:

Lol Thank you.

I'm surprised the OP was talking about Oyo instead of Ife.

The question is, is Bininkingdom older than Ife kingdom?
Yes, Benin kingdom was recorded by eyewitnesses right from the 1400's contrary to Ife. The earliest map of Ife which I have seen is from the 19th century.
And Ife was a small settlement until the British started urbanising it in 1912.
Whereas Benin city was burnt to the ground by the British in 1897, Ife was never burnt down, yet it was being urbanised by the British in 1912.

2 Likes

Re: Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas by Vado2: 2:07am On May 13, 2023
Stoplying:

1) Witnesses to the burial of the Oba of Benin in the precolonial era have had their testimony recorded on paper in the precolonial era and it was recorded that it took place around the palace of the Oba, the executions of the wives and ministers of the Oba were even talked about. I don't want to add too much details.
2) your "orun oba ado" was built with European cement technology
3) European alphabets are written all around your "orun Oba ado"
4) the fresh painting of a Benin bronze is upon your "orun oba ado"
5) the only place outside of Benin city in which the Oba of Benin is recorded to have been buried is Calabar.

So it is clear that "orun oba ado" is a fake. It is also clear that your "orun oba ado" was created after colonisation and probably quite recently.
Ife is built with fake stories, nobody ever migrated from Ife, I believe the settlement of Ife is more recent than that of Abeokuta which was created in 1832.

Why are Yoruba always telling lies and always trying to dupe other people ?

Yoruba mostly descend from freed slaves whom the European powers dumped on our shores. Those slaves came into our shores with the ability to read and write and a formal education which the locals (our ancestors) didn't have.
So for a period of time, the yorubas (slave descendants) were the most educated and they duped the locals (at a regular basis) to survive. That dupery turned into a tradition.
Today that tradition is still alive amongst Yoruba, it gave birth to world renown 419.
But the problem today is that everybody has caught up with Yoruba in terms of education, so now we all see you for what you are: a lying 419 culture.

So you should know that telling lies is actually the biggest part of Yoruba culture. Being a good liar is very respectable in Yoruba culture, and it is even celibrated.

Because I've always wondered why there isn't more evidence of the alleged Oyo empire's greatness, like there is for other ancient kingdoms, all hearsay.
I believe that everything about the Yorubas is based on lying and fakery. The entire brilliance disappeared into thin air. The Yoruba empire is rife with dishonesty and lies.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas by Odogwuzack: 2:10am On May 13, 2023
Stoplying:

Yes, Benin kingdom was recorded by eyewitnesses right from the 1400's contrary to Ife. The earliest map of Ife which I have seen is from the 19th century.

Ife is the oldest Yoruba city. So if Bini and Oyo empire started existing around 1400 years ago (according to the OP), it only make sense to agree that they both migrated from Ife.

2 Likes

Re: Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas by Vado2: 2:11am On May 13, 2023
Stoplying:

Whereas Benin city was burnt to the ground by the British in 1897, Ife was never burnt down, yet it was being urbanised by the British in 1912.

Apt 👌. I’m glad a lot of individuals are conducting their own research to expose these dishonest tribes. Thanks for sharing more light on this.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas by Stoplying: 2:12am On May 13, 2023
Odogwuzack:

Ife is the oldest Yoruba city.
Where is proof ?
For your info:
Stoplying:

Nobody is saying that Benin Kingdom was created in the 1400's, rather we are saying that Europeans visited the region in the 1400's and they didn't see anything called ife in the region, rather they saw Benin.

1 Like

Re: Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas by Vado2: 2:13am On May 13, 2023
Odogwuzack:

Ife is the oldest Yoruba city. So if Bini and Oyo empire started existing around 1400 years ago (according to the OP), it only make sense to agree that they both migrated from Ife.

Hahaha. The Bini empire started existing around 1200. All the Ife story is fictional.

Re: Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas by Odogwuzack: 2:16am On May 13, 2023
Stoplying:

Where is proof ?

You are not here for conversation but for insults on the Yorubas. You are probably not even a Bini person but just trying to cause fight between the two tribes. grin

The mods are sleeping, they may have to close down this thread when they wake up because of the direction it is going.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Throwback Picture Of A Muslim Yoruba Shop In Salvador, Bahia 1895. / Handmade Palm Kernel Oil For Sale / All ugba lovers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.