Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,176 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:57 AM

Showcasing Bonny(ibani) Culture- - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Showcasing Bonny(ibani) Culture- (15505 Views)

The Ibani Kingdoms-Grand Bonny and Opobo first re-unification meeting / Showcasing Hausa/fulani Culture / Showcasing Igbo culture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Showcasing Bonny(ibani) Culture- by ijawgirl: 11:51pm On Mar 23, 2011
Bonny Island-travel section
 https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-630172.0.html#msg7973920

Somewhere at the edge of the Atlantic Ocean facing the Bight of Biafra sits the island of Bonny. This serene Niger Delta community has several historical and economic symbolisms for the Nigerian nation. It was the melting point of economic activities right from the 16th century. It serves as Christianity’s first port of call in West Africa. It is also home to so many illustrious sons and daughters of Nigeria. This significant constituent of the larger Ijaw ethnic nationality has her local dialect, Ibani spoken across her various communities. With a thriving traditional system and robust cultural heritage it stands out as one of the foremost local communities in Nigeria. Her traditional institution is headed by Edward William-Dappa Pepple who serves as natural ruler and Amanyanabo-in-Council and ably assisted by a Council of Chiefs headed by Reginald Abbey-Hart who is also chief and head of Captain Hart major house. Her political leadership currently rests on the shoulders of Nelson Ben Irimagha who bears the traditional title of Amasenibo.
The community is subdivided into two main segments – the mainland and the hinterland. The mainland is comprised of the Township, Sandfield, Iwoama, Orosikiri, Aganya, Ayambo, Akiama, Workers Camp, Finima and some outlying fishing settlements lying along the Bonny River’s coastline. The hinterland includes the villages that serve as home to indigenes of Bonny kingdom.

KING Edward Asimini William Dappa Pepple ( iii) Perekule 11 --Amanyanabo and NATURAL Ruler of the ANCIENT Grand Bonny Kingdom
Rivers State , Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Showcasing Bonny(ibani) Culture- by ijawgirl: 12:02am On Mar 24, 2011
otobo(hippotamous)-D Amphibious Ibaniwari Int"l Otobo Masquerade

Re: Showcasing Bonny(ibani) Culture- by ijawgirl: 12:09am On Mar 24, 2011
otobo-The hippopotamus, recognized by IUCN as ‘uncommon’, is also present in this area.

Re: Showcasing Bonny(ibani) Culture- by ijawgirl: 12:17am On Mar 24, 2011
lo

Re: Showcasing Bonny(ibani) Culture- by ijawgirl: 12:20am On Mar 24, 2011
boat regetta

Re: Showcasing Bonny(ibani) Culture- by ijawgirl: 12:28am On Mar 24, 2011
abara

Re: Showcasing Bonny(ibani) Culture- by ijawgirl: 12:33am On Mar 24, 2011
Grand Bonny Kingdom is blessed with great values, sound cultural heritage, proper pride, and integrity, all deep seated amongst the people. We are a people of taste, we keep touch with the future while preserving our core values.

Re: Showcasing Bonny(ibani) Culture- by ijawgirl: 12:54am On Mar 24, 2011
Bonny Island is situated at the southern edge of Rivers State in the Niger Delta of Nigeria near Port Harcourt. In the early 1990s the Federal Government of Nigeria, in collaboration with 3 international partners, Shell Gas BV., CLEAG Limited [ELF] and AGIP International BV. started the multi-billion dollar project Nigeria Liquified Natural Gas Limited (Nigeria LNG)[1]. Due to its strategic position, the island hosts various oil companies including Royal Dutch Shell, Mobil, Chevron, Agip, and Elf.

Port Harcourt is the closest city to Bonny Island. Ferries are the main form of transport to and from the island.
Re: Showcasing Bonny(ibani) Culture- by PhysicsMHD(m): 3:03am On Mar 25, 2011
Pretty cool attire in those dances/masquerades.
Re: Showcasing Bonny(ibani) Culture- by ChinenyeN(m): 4:27am On Mar 25, 2011
Amina mina i saala chi ye? I baama? Mie nye is nice. Particularly the masquerade/dancing.
Re: Showcasing Bonny(ibani) Culture- by Afam4eva(m): 2:06am On Mar 26, 2011
How come most Bonny or opobo people i've met speak Igbo.
Re: Showcasing Bonny(ibani) Culture- by ChinenyeN(m): 5:20am On Mar 26, 2011
afam4eva:

The answer is simple, Bonny/Opobo people are part Igbo. The facts behind the facts is another issue that's already been extensively discussed here on NL. You could search NL with keywords "Bonny" & "Igbo" and related topics will pop right up.
Re: Showcasing Bonny(ibani) Culture- by Kinematics: 8:06am On Apr 29, 2017
Afam4eva:

How come ibo people I've met speak English?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Showcasing Bonny(ibani) Culture- by Afam4eva(m): 8:10am On Apr 29, 2017
Kinematics:

How come ibo people I've met speak English?
Did Igbos colonize Bonny/Opobo people? Don't be an idiot by half.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? / Ooni Ogunwusi Signs MOU With SpringPort Technological Group / How I Stopped Herdsmen From Entering My Community — Edo Monarch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.