Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,806 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:47 AM

Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? (13569 Views)

What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? / The Fourth Commandment: The Sabbath. / What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by Preciousgirl(f): 6:27am On Dec 09, 2020
Mark 2:23-24,27-28

[23]Now it happened that He went through the grainfields on the Sabbath; and as they went His disciples began to pluck the heads of grain.

[24]And the Pharisees said to Him, “Look, why do they do what is not lawful on the Sabbath?”

[27]And He said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.

[28]Therefore the Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath.”

What did Jesus mean by this? Thank you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by Dtruthspeaker: 7:25am On Dec 09, 2020
Preciousgirl:

[23]Now it happened that He went through the grainfields on the Sabbath; and as they went His disciples began to pluck the heads of grain.

[24]And the Pharisees said to Him, “Look, why do they do what is not lawful on the Sabbath?”

[27]And He said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.

He Means, He is God Even Over the Sabbath! The One Who Gave the Law of the Sabbath!

43 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by psucc(m): 7:42am On Dec 09, 2020
From the literally meaning, to Lord over something or somebody is to have supremacy or authority over it. So our Christ really meant He is the Superior to Sabbath.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by Dtruthspeaker: 7:50am On Dec 09, 2020
psucc:
From the literally meaning, to Lord over something or somebody is to have supremacy or authority over it. So our Christ really meant He is the Superior to Sabbath.

Yes, that is what He said and that is why He raised No Objection to His children's (Disciples) action, but rather defended them and Showing us that He is Indeed The Same Lord Who Spake unto Moses.

Same Reason He Healed on the Sabbath!

He is The Lord Over All, whether sickness, demons, hell, death, Law!

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:53am On Dec 09, 2020
Lord means Owner!
So what led to this statement?
Because the context will help us a lot to grasp why Jesus uttered the statement.
Jesus is the promised Messiah that all Israelites have been expecting right from the day Moses told them that God will raise up another prophet like himself amongst the Israelites and they must listen to him! Deuteronomy 18:15-18
Moses was the mediator of the covenant which brought about the Sabbath day so Jesus is the mediator that will bring about another covenant that's different from the one God established with the Israelites in the wilderness! Jeremiah 31:31-34
The Jews were trying to teach Jesus how the Sabbath should be kept holy whereas Jesus is the promised Messiah Moses warned them not to argue with!
Jesus' comment here means You people want to keep the Sabbath which was established to help you worship God acceptably, but i am the promised Messiah that will lead you to God without all those laws that you're carrying like loads of burden. Matthew 11:28-30 compared to Romans 10:1-4

So Jesus is the owner or master (Lord) of the subject "Pure Worship or Way to God" {John 14:6} the main reason why the Sabbath was established!
No matter what form of worship this people hold so dear before his arrival, Jesus is the chosen one to teach them the PRACTICAL APPLICATION of all what the prophets and laws have been teaching them right from Moses till John the baptist! Matthew 22:40
May you have PEACE! smiley

Preciousgirl:

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by Nobody: 7:56am On Dec 09, 2020
What he meant there was, He is above the Sabbath that the men were trying to honor more than Him. Which was why he said, the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. In other words, man has control over the Sabbath hence can choose to treat it however he wants but the Sabbath has no control over man and shouldn't determine man's behavior or activities.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by Dtruthspeaker: 7:57am On Dec 09, 2020
MaxInDHouse:
Lord means Owner!

See interpretation!

Anyway, and the Proof of an Owner, is His Absolute Control over His possessions, which He Owns.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by Dtruthspeaker: 8:05am On Dec 09, 2020
CalliDora1:
. In other words, man has control over the Sabbath hence can choose to treat it however he wants but the Sabbath has no control over man and shouldn't determine man's behavior or activities.

Lie-lie!

Man was made for the Sabbath means man was Given the Sabbath for All things Good that is Rest, Joy, Play, Laughter, Dancing, Feasting Only things which are Good.

And not for Suffering, Pain, Hardship and the things which are Not good which the world teaches, the people teach and the priests/Pharisees/Pastors teach.

3 Likes

Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:08am On Dec 09, 2020
This your intolerance again? undecided

Anyway the simple meaning of LORD in one word is OWNER, so you can build up your explanation from any point you choose to, teach what you know and stop worrying yourself about the opinion of others.
Today the world is propagating FREEDOM of SPEECH, EXPRESSION and WORSHIP so go ahead and say what you know, stop this attitude because that's the same reason why Boko Haram is killing people instead of waiting for God to come and judge falsehood! Revelations 22:11-12

Dtruthspeaker:

See interpretation!

Anyway, and the Proof of an Owner, is His Absolute Control over His possessions, which He Owns.

3 Likes

Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by Nobody: 8:13am On Dec 09, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

Lie-lie!

Man was made for the Sabbath means man was Given the Sabbath for All things Good that is Rest, Joy, Play, Laughter, Dancing, Feasting Only things which are Good.

And not for Suffering, Pain, Hardship and the things which are Not good which the world teaches, the people teach and the priests/Pharisees/Pastors teach.

Where is the lie in what I said now? Youve simply described further in details what the Sabbath is all about while I simply explained how the Sabbath is not meant to control or put man under any kind of bondage. So how did I lie?

6 Likes

Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:19am On Dec 09, 2020
He is just a victim of the spirit of intolerance lack of self control !

So even when he can't debunk what you say with proof the intolerant spirit in him will continue to make him boil unnecessarily! cheesy

CalliDora1:

Where is the lie in what I said now? Youve simply described further in details what the Sabbath is all about while I simply explaines how the Sabbath is not meant to control or put man under any kind of bondage. So how did I lie?

2 Likes

Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by MuttleyLaff: 8:19am On Dec 09, 2020
Preciousgirl:

MuttleyLaff:
Your tone and words already conveyed it and I know you had good intentions with the ''sir'' thing but using ''sir'' just became intolerable for me

Claiming the sabbath hasnt been abolished is indefensible but when posters whose ID we wont mention try to put up a defence, what they write is so feeble and ridiculous as to deserve laughter or making fun of. Opting for the former, is why you see me downing the laughter tonic instead of outrightly make fun of post(er)

Wouldnt it be nice, if other posters are as mature and unruffled as you are. We can have a fall out, without needing to or taking it personal. Besides, thats the beauty of law of liberty, to respect your choice, as it's based on the current level of recognition and understanding

No, I dont like to play on words, my words are crystal clear but some posters, inadvertently and some other posters with hidden agendas, inaccurately paraphrase some posts of mine they cant come to terms with

Whenever I share information or when exposing truths, I like making conscious efforts in selecting right words to use in my posts so in essence, what I like doing is, to deliberately and intentionally pick certain words or phrases for maximum effect in all my communications

Maybe because my wordings, most times can be uncompromisingly forthright, that is why some think ''I like to play on words''

I clearly understand that you believe in keeping the fourth commandment but do you believe you're an Israelite too?
Do you also believe in the strict enforcements in Exodus 31:14?

All the 10 commandments at some point stopped being binding but before you start crying blue murder, almost all were brought back
The same 10 commandments, less one (i.e. the fourth commandment) were brought forward in the NT. Each one of the ten commandments, except for the fourth commandment were and are explicitly reintroduced or reinstituted by Jesus or the NT

28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest
29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

- Matthew 11:28-29

Yes, there is no specific day of rest for believers. Jesus gives us rest. Jesus Christ is now our rest. We have rest from the work of flesh. Jesus is the rest. Jesus is the true rest

MuttleyLaff:
Exactly petra1, Jesus, is the Lord of the Sabbath.
He, as it were, is the Owner of the sabbath.
and as Owner of the sabbath, you dont hear Jesus saying: Keep the sabbath
Jesus never repeats the 4th commandment, the same way He explicitly repeats and commanded each of the other 9 commandments

So, yeah, it's not just about a specific day, and it has nothing to do with the fourth commandment
The law of liberty in Romans 14:5 is providing clear evidence that there is no specified day
Galatians 4:9-12 (i.e. New Living Translation) on the other hand, criticises this on grounds of going back to weak and worthless principles
Lord, is from the same root word we get the word "Landlord" from.

Same way, landlord is the owner of the land or house, so is, Christ, the Owner of every other human being and in fact, the Owner of the Sabbath

2 Likes

Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by Nobody: 8:21am On Dec 09, 2020
MaxInDHouse:
He is just a victim of the spirit of intolerance lack of self control !

So even when he can't debunk what you say with proof the intolerant spirit in him will continue to make him boil unnecessarily! cheesy

Lol.. grin
Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by Dtruthspeaker: 8:28am On Dec 09, 2020
CalliDora1:

Where is the lie in what I said now? Youve simply described further in details what the Sabbath is all about while I simply explained how the Sabbath is not meant to control or put man under any kind of bondage. So how did I lie?

Sorry sis, I did not mean you Lie, I was using our Nigerian meaning of I no gree when we say "lie,lie, I no gree"

3 Likes

Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by MuttleyLaff: 8:31am On Dec 09, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:
Sorry sis, I did not mean you Lie, I was using our Nigerian meaning of I no gree when we say "lie,lie, I no gree"
Your sin are forgiven. Go and sin no more
cc: doggedfighter
Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by Dtruthspeaker: 8:45am On Dec 09, 2020
MaxInDHouse:
This your intolerance again? undecided

Anyway the simple meaning of LORD in one word is OWNER, so you can build up your explanation from any point you choose to, teach what you know and stop worrying yourself about the opinion of others.
Today the world is propagating FREEDOM of SPEECH, EXPRESSION and WORSHIP so go ahead and say what you know, stop this attitude because that's the same reason why Boko Haram is killing people instead of waiting for God to come and judge falsehood! Revelations 22:11-12

As you have said, I have excercised and express my Freedom to Contest any issue raised here which I have Done.

Further, you have Rightly Observed that I have a Great Intolerance and Hatred for Lies, And Most Especially Veiled Lies, Sly Misrepresentation of Truths, Half-Truths and Half-Lies, Incomplete Truths etc which Are The Choice Weapons of The-Evils used Against Souls who Naturally Seek for Truth and Eat Same when Found, As A baby sucks Milk expecting it would be good and healthy.

But alas, there are many like you who often come to Poison the Babies Milk and Destroy them Wilfully, like the Satanist Clearly Do.

1 Like

Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by Nobody: 9:00am On Dec 09, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

Ok.
Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by Dtruthspeaker: 9:04am On Dec 09, 2020
MuttleyLaff:

Lord, is from the same root word we get the word "Landlord" from.

Same way, landlord is the owner of the land or house, so is, Christ, the Owner of every other human being and in fact, the Owner of the Sabbath

As you say "Lord of the Land" hence Land-Lord but The Lord is Greatly More!

He is Lord of the Heavens we do not see and Lord of the Sky and Lord of the Weather and Lord of Days and Lord of Laws and Lord of Life and Lord of Death and Lord of Hell and Lord of ALL!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by Dtruthspeaker: 9:05am On Dec 09, 2020
CalliDora1:

Ok.

Thank you sis!

2 Likes

Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by stephanie79548: 10:00am On Dec 09, 2020

2 Likes

Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by MuttleyLaff: 10:07am On Dec 09, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:
As you say "Lord of the Land" ...
I didnt type "Lord of the Land"

but what I typed was:
"Lord, is from the same root word we get the word "Landlord" from.

I also typed that:
"Same way, landlord is the owner of the land or house, so is, Christ, the Owner of every other human being and in fact, the Owner of the Sabbath"

Now I dont see where you thought I typed "Lord of the Land"

Dtruthspeaker:
... but The Lord is Greatly More!

He is Lord of the Heavens we do not see and Lord of the Sky and Lord of the Weather and Lord of Days and Lord of Laws and Lord of Life and Lord of Death and Lord of Hell and Lord of ALL!
What about Beelzebub? What lord of, is Beelzebub? Smh sigh.
Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by MaxInDHouse(m): 12:04pm On Dec 09, 2020
This is social media Sir not inside your church building where you have the right to drive away people whose ideologies contradicts the fundamental doctrines of your religion!

Jesus never goes to disturb people having contrary opinions to his own in the public, rather he makes his presentation for interested audience to come and learn from him. It is the Pharisees who always go about fighting and arguing in the public to disturb the peace in the society! Act 17:13

On social media whatever anyone says should be left for God to judge, the only place Christians are to kick against heresy is in their own gathering not in the public where there are thousands of different opinions about God and worship!

So whether truth or lies what Jesus commanded his own followers is make the presentation and observe the response of your audience if there is positive response stay with the person but if not peacefully take your leave! Matthew 10:11-13

Christianity is not about going about to argue and insult people calling them "liars" simply because their opinion differs from yours! Titus 3:9

We were admonished to make our presentations with mild temper and deep respect for the audience! 1Peter 3:15

Sorry my guy you only have the zeal for God but you're lacking in accurate knowledge {Romans 10:2-3} like the first century Jews who always go about to cause trouble for the peaceful and easygoing Christians claiming they are teaching heresy! Act 14:19

Calm down and learn how to become a true follower of Christ and not these terrorist's way of doing things, Jesus is not a thug neither was any of his followers, they were the most respectful and easygoing worshipers of all times!

May you have PEACE! smiley

Dtruthspeaker:

As you have said, I have excercised and express my Freedom to Contest any issue raised here which I have Done.

Further, you have Rightly Observed that I have a Great Intolerance and Hatred for Lies, And Most Especially Veiled Lies, Sly Misrepresentation of Truths, Half-Truths and Half-Lies, Incomplete Truths etc which Are The Choice Weapons of The-Evils used Against Souls who Naturally Seek for Truth and Eat Same when Found, As A baby sucks Milk expecting it would be good and healthy.

But alas, there are many like you who often come to Poison the Babies Milk and Destroy them Wilfully, like the Satanist Clearly Do.
Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by Dtruthspeaker: 1:37pm On Dec 09, 2020
MuttleyLaff:
I didnt type "Lord of the Land"

but what I typed was:
"Lord, is from the same root word we get the word "Landlord" from.

I also typed that:
"Same way, landlord is the owner of the land or house, so is, Christ, the Owner of every other human being and in fact, the Owner of the Sabbath"

Truly you said these things but I thought it was because you Appreciated that "Landlord meant "Lord of the Land" hence my statements thereafter.

MuttleyLaff:

By Job 1:6 Satan is a son of God and if a son of God therefore a "prince".

Being a prince, by virtue of John 14:30, he is a prince of this world, therefore a "lord" also of this world.

Mathew 12:24 beelzebub is prince of the-evils, D'evils, Devils!

Therefore by Ephesians 6:12 , Satan/Beelzebub is the "lord of" Darkness and Wickednesses and all their powers "Of this World"
Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by Dtruthspeaker: 2:22pm On Dec 09, 2020
MaxInDHouse:

This is social media Sir not inside your church building where you have the right to drive away people whose ideologies contradicts the fundamental doctrines of your religion!

Like the Ground Under Your Feet, there is No Contradiction in Truths.

Speak Only Right and Pure and Good things else...

MaxInDHouse:

So whether truth or lies what Jesus commanded ....

Truth or Lies? shocked Mr Maximus you said "Truth or Lies?" shocked

Has The Lord Ever Ever Advocated Lying? Is A Lying Tongue Not HATED BY THE LORD? And is A False Witness who speaketh Lies Not an Abomination unto Him?

Yeeeh!, mo gbe!

Out of the Abundance of the heart your mouth has indeed Confessed and Admitted that YOU LIE AND ARE ALWAYS CAPABLE OF LYING! lipsrsealed

No Wonder, I further understand more now.
Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:23pm On Dec 09, 2020
You truly have the zeal but lacking in accurate knowledge! Romans 10:2-3

Your power of reasoning is so beclouded by this intolerant spirit that you just want to argue baselessly.
Anyway you've tendered your apology and it has been accepted so go and stop accusing people blindly, so far so good you've failed to prove anyone lied here it's just your judgmental mindset that's all! cheesy

Dtruthspeaker:

Like the Ground Under Your Feet, there is No Contradiction in Truths.

Speak Only Right and Pure and Good things else...

Truth or Lies? shocked Mr Maximus you said "Truth or Lies?" shocked

Has The Lord Ever Ever Advocated Lying? Is A Lying Tongue Not HATED BY THE LORD? And is A False Witness who speaketh Lies Not an Abomination unto Him?

Yeeeh!, mo gbe!

Out of the Abundance of the heart your mouth has indeed Confessed and Admitted that YOU LIE AND ARE ALWAYS CAPABLE OF LYING! lipsrsealed

No Wonder, I further understand more now.
Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by MuttleyLaff: 9:55pm On Dec 09, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:
Truly you said these things but I thought it was because you Appreciated that "Landlord meant "Lord of the Land" hence my statements thereafter.
"The earth is the LORD’s and the fullness thereof, the world and those who dwell therein,
(i.e. The LORD owns the earth and all it contains, the world and all who live in it.)"
- Psalm 24:1

Nah, I was focusing on the word "Lord," in regards to what it means and also that to make it clear that the word "Lord," signifies and/or indicates belonging to someone (i.e. Owner)

Dtruthspeaker:
By Job 1:6 Satan is a son of God and if a son of God therefore a "prince".
"Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came among them"
- Job 1:6,

The Bible has never anywhere addressed Satan as a son of God. Please even try to push it or force that narrative.

Job 1:6, is not calling Satan a son of God, the same way if I should type that: "Now there was a time when white men came on this thread, and Dtruthspeaker also came among them" it doesnt mean that Dtruthspeaker is a white man, lmso. Do you get it now, lmso.

Dtruthspeaker:

MuttleyLaff:

Dtruthspeaker:
Being a prince, by virtue of John 14:30, he is a prince of this world, therefore a "lord" also of this world.

Mathew 12:24 beelzebub is prince of the-evils, D'evils, Devils!

Therefore by Ephesians 6:12 , Satan/Beelzebub is the "lord of" Darkness and Wickednesses and all their powers "Of this World"
[img]https://s8/images/LordOfFlies.jpg[/img]

I was preparing to read you say Satan is the lord of flies
Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by Dtruthspeaker: 10:18pm On Dec 09, 2020
MuttleyLaff:

"Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came among them"
- Job 1:6,

The Bible has never anywhere addressed Satan as a son of God. Please even try to push it or force that narrative.

Job 1:6, is not calling Satan a son of God, the same way if I should type that: "Now there was a time when white men came on this thread, and Dtruthspeaker also came among them" it doesnt mean that Dtruthspeaker is a white man, lmso. Do you get it now, lmso.

True, it can be countered that way but I think the balanced Judgment here would be "Satan may be a son of God OR may just be plain wicked Satan" just like Dtruthspeaker may also be a white man.

But after this Judgment is there any further evidence that may tilt it one way or the other?

And this is where john 14:30 tilts it, in calling Satan "prince of" just as our Lord is Also the "Prince of Peace" and the children that is son of a King are Always called "Prince"!

MuttleyLaff:

I was expecting you to say Satan is the Lord of flies

Truthfully, i do not go beyond the Direct Explanation supplied in the Bible so I am generally ok with Mathew 12:24's Explanation of who the be,el-thing is.
Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by MuttleyLaff: 4:02am On Dec 10, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:
True, it can be countered that way but I think the balanced Judgment here would be "Satan may be a son of God OR may just be plain wicked Satan" just like Dtruthspeaker may also be a white man.
Satan came among the sons of God, and isnt ever a son of God, just as Dtruthspeaker, came among the white men, and Dtruthspeaker isnt ever a white man, but just is plain black skinned Dtruthspeaker. Capisce? Let it happen truthfully, dont force it that Satan in Job 1:6 is a son of God

Dtruthspeaker:
But after this Judgment is there any further evidence that may tilt it one way or the other?

And this is where john 14:30 tilts it, in calling Satan "prince of" just as our Lord is Also the "Prince of Peace" and the children that is son of a King are Always called "Prince"!
"For, At just the right time Christ will be revealed from heaven
by the blessed and only almighty God, the King of all kings and Lord of all lords.
"
- 1 Timothy 6:15

Smh. You have misunderstood that prince, in Ephesians 2:2, is used in reference to rulership and not monarchy

Satan is able to accomplish Job 1:7 because he rules over the flies, hence why addressed as lord of the flies. He is the ruler of the spiritual powers in space. He exercises authority over the lower heavens, and is the spirit now working or ruling in the disobedient.

Dtruthspeaker:
Truthfully, i do not go beyond the Direct Explanation supplied in the Bible so I am generally ok with Mathew 12:24's Explanation of who the Beelzebub be, el-thing is.
"But when the Pharisees heard this, they said,
"This man casts out demons only by Beelzebul the ruler of the demons."
"
- Mathew 12:24

Truthfully, you do because of Proverbs 25:2, need to go beyond the Direct Explanation supplied in the Bible to get the implied explanation. Now the word "Beelzebub," is associated with flies and the other flies because, in fact, the Jews, regard the fly, in particular, as more or less impure and demonic. This is how or the reason why Beelzebub, is called the ruler of demons (i.e. lord of the flies) Interestingly enough, the devil in German folk-lore is depicted in the shape of a fly

All rulers, necessarily are not princes. PMB is not a prince nor is he monarchy, yet he rules Naija. Satan is not and never was a son of a King narrative you are trying to force on. Give it a rest please, lmso.
Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by Dtruthspeaker: 7:23am On Dec 10, 2020
MuttleyLaff:
Satan came among the sons of God, and isnt ever a son of God, just as Dtruthspeaker, came among the white men, and Dtruthspeaker isnt ever a white man, but just is plain black skinned Dtruthspeaker. Capisce? Let it happen truthfully, dont force it that Satan in Job 1:6 is a son of God

"For, At just the right time Christ will be revealed from heaven
by the blessed and only almighty God, the King of all kings and Lord of all lords.
"
- 1 Timothy 6:15

Smh. You have misunderstood that prince, in Ephesians 2:2, is used in reference to rulership and not monarchy

Satan is able to accomplish Job 1:7 because he rules over the flies, hence why addressed as lord of the flies. He is the ruler of the spiritual powers in space. He exercises authority over the lower heavens, and is the spirit now working or ruling in the disobedient.

"But when the Pharisees heard this, they said,
"This man casts out demons only by Beelzebul the ruler of the demons."
"
- Mathew 12:24

Truthfully, you do because of Proverbs 25:2, need to go beyond the Direct Explanation supplied in the Bible to get the implied explanation. Now the word "Beelzebub," is associated with flies and the other flies because, in fact, the Jews, regard the fly, in particular, as more or less impure and demonic. This is how or the reason why Beelzebub, is called the ruler of demons (i.e. lord of the flies) Interestingly enough, the devil in German folk-lore is depicted in the shape of a fly

grin In other words as I, you could not find any further valid evidence in the Bible beyond what you had presented earlier to tilt the balance of the Judgment.

MuttleyLaff:

Smh. You have misunderstood that prince, in Ephesians 2:2, is used in reference to rulership and not monarchy...

All rulers, necessarily are not princes. PMB is not a prince nor is he monarchy, yet he rules Naija. Satan is not and never was a son of a King narrative you are trying to force on. Give it a rest please, lmso.

This is the Understanding "Every Prince is A Ruler, But NOT All Rulers Are Princes"

And The Lord Himself Confirmed that Indeed, Satan is a prince in His statement in John 14:30 And, if a prince, therefore, he is the son of a King, based on the Unchanged Meaning that a prince is the son of a King and Always the son of a King!
Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by Acehart: 11:02am On Dec 11, 2020
Preciousgirl:

It signifies that, amid and in addition to his other lordships, the Son of man possesses this also—that he is Lord of the sabbath day. He is Lord of angels, for they worship him; he is the Lord from heaven, and all its hosts do acknowledge him; he is Lord of earth, for by him it was made, and through him it is upheld; he is the Lord of all creation, for he is the firstborn of every creature, that in all things he should have the pre-eminence; "he is Lord also of the sabbath."

The Sabbath observance pre-dates Abraham. Concerning the Seventh day of the creation account, it is written: “They heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day”. (Gen. 3:8).

I’d like us to see the meaning of these keywords from the verse:

1. Sound (voice) of the Lord God
2. The cool of the day.

Sound (voice) of the Lord God.

The word “voice” translated in the Hebrew as qôl has several meanings: cry, yell, thundering, deep sound, lowering (dark and threatening), proclamation, herald etc. What the proclamation was, we may never know; but we know that throughout the scriptures, when Christ, the Lord God, was to make an entrance into the world, a proclamation always preceded Him.

The Cool of the Day.

In simple terms, the ‘Cool of the Day’ means evening. In the OT, from the time of Noah to the times when the Jewish temple still stood, the sacrifice made to God on the Sabbaths were done in the evening. The most notable evening sacrifice that elicited thunderings, darkness, and the terrifying sound of an earthquake was that of the Son of Man on Calvary on the day of Yom Kippur, also known as the Day of Atonement, the holiest day of the year in Judaism.

The word “Cool” in Hebrew is translated “rûach” meaning: the spirit, to breathe, the wind, the mind etc. This word’s etymology means: ‘to smell’ (the savor of a sacrifice) and ‘make of quick understanding’. The word “day” in Hebrew is translated “Yom” meaning: season, period, appointed time, span of time, as long as one lives, etc.

Regarding the root of the word “cool” - make of quick understanding, the Hebrew word for “Sabbath” comes from the root of the verb: “to sit to study and get knowledge”.

This is closely related to the meaning of “day”; “day” represents: “a source of knowledge”, which is not complex for us to comprehend since nowadays many of us have this saying: “I learn something new every day” and, traditionally, “old age” (i.e. the passing of time) is almost always associated with: “wisdom”. Is there a biblical support to the conclusion?

I’d say, yes. In the interpretation of the dreams of the steward and the baker of Pharaoh, Joseph explains: “the three branches”, as well as, the dream of “the three baskets”, represent: “three days”. Branches of trees provide fruit, and baskets, traditionally, are used to serve bread.

In the scriptures, bread is a figurative expression for knowledge or teaching (John 6:48-63). (Even in tertiary institutions, the word “branch” in respect to any subject is used to refer to a specific field of knowledge). With regards to the figurative meaning of the word ‘fruit’, we have to go back to the same Garden of Eden where there is the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil; Adam and Eve didn’t eat the tree, they ate the fruit from the tree to obtain knowledge; so it is the fruit itself which contains the knowledge; and the tree should be seen as a source of knowledge as a teacher is a source of knowledge. (But their source of Knowledge was to be from the Tree of Life).

When we see the effect of eating the fruit of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, Adam and Eve begin to focus on their flesh; this indicates that before eating from that tree, the Lord God was the only source of knowledge that they had; and if by definition, God is good, evil is the flesh. Then, “evil” is anyone who considers themselves “a source of knowledge about God” -this was Paul’s postulation to the Corinthian church who used sensuality as a means of getting the knowledge of who God is.

As a result, Adam becomes a source of knowledge besides God and we see Lord God saying this: "Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil.

So far, we see that the Sabbath day was a day set aside for man to learn about the goodness of the Lord God; and that man was to sit before the Lord to acquire this knowledge. In contrast to the expression of the Pharisees who exercised evil on that day - in thoughts and action (Luke 6:9). Jesus drew their attention to the initial purpose of the constitution of the Sabbath - Goodness alone, in that question: “I ask you, is it lawful to do good or to do harm on the Sabbath, to save a life or to destroy it?"

Jesus claiming to be the Lord of the Sabbath is drawing our attention to the following:

1. He is the source of eternal life.
2. He is the sole source of the knowledge of God.
3. He created the worlds and man; He is the one who rested.
4. He is the one that was heralded in the Garden of Eden; and in essence, He is God.
5. He is the one that took the decision to expel man from the Garden of Eden.
6. He is the one that instituted the sacrifice of atonement, and appointed the Sabbaths from the Garden to the time of Abel to the time of Moses.
7. He is the one that caused the Mount Sinai to smoke.
8. He is the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob; including Moses.
9. He is Jehovah.

I hope I wasn’t too complex in my explanation. Please, feel free to ask any question in any part you have found to be incomprehensible.

Cc: MuttleyLaff

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by Bodydiialect57: 3:55pm On Dec 11, 2020
Acehart:

It signifies that, amid and in addition to his other lordships, the Son of man possesses this also—that he is Lord of the sabbath day. He is Lord of angels, for they worship him; he is the Lord from heaven, and all its hosts do acknowledge him; he is Lord of earth, for by him it was made, and through him it is upheld; he is the Lord of all creation, for he is the firstborn of every creature, that in all things he should have the pre-eminence; "he is Lord also of the sabbath."

The Sabbath observance pre-dates Abraham. Concerning the Seventh day of the creation account, it is written: “They heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day”. (Gen. 3:8).

I’d like us to see the meaning of these keywords from the verse:

1. Sound (voice) of the Lord God
2. The cool of the day.

Sound (voice) of the Lord God.

The word “voice” translated in the Hebrew as qôl has several meanings: cry, yell, thundering, deep sound, lowering (dark and threatening), proclamation, herald etc. What the proclamation was, we may never know; but we know that throughout the scriptures, when Christ, the Lord God, was to make an entrance into the world, a proclamation always preceded Him.

The Cool of the Day.

In simple terms, the ‘Cool of the Day’ means evening. In the OT, from the time of Noah to the time of times when the Jewish temple still stood, the sacrifice made to God on the Sabbaths were done in the evening. The most notable evening sacrifice that elicited thunderings, darkness, and the terrifying sound of an earthquake was that of the Son of Man on Calvary on the day of Yom Kippur, also known as the Day of Atonement, the holiest day of the year in Judaism.

The word “Cool” in Hebrew is translated “rûach” meaning: the spirit, to breathe, the wind, the mind etc. This word’s etymology means: ‘to smell’ (the savor of a sacrifice) and ‘make of quick understanding’. The word “day” in Hebrew is translated “Yom” meaning: season, period, appointed time, span of time, as long as one lives, etc.

Regarding the root of the word “cool” - make of quick understanding, the Hebrew word for “Sabbath” comes from the root of the verb: “to sit to study and get knowledge”.

This is closely related to the meaning of “day”; “day” represents: “a source of knowledge”, which is not complex for us to comprehend since nowadays many of us have this saying: “I learn something new every day” and, traditionally, “old age” (i.e. the passing of time) is almost always associated with: “wisdom”. Is there a biblical support to the conclusion?

I’d say, yes. In the interpretation of the dreams of the steward and the baker of Pharaoh, Joseph explains: “the three branches”, as well as, the dream of “the three baskets”, represent: “three days”. Branches of trees provide fruit, and baskets, traditionally, are used to serve bread.

In the scriptures, bread is a figurative expression for knowledge or teaching (John 6:48-63). (Even in tertiary institutions, the word “branch” in respect to any subject is used to refer to a specific field of knowledge). With regards to the figurative meaning of the word ‘fruit’, we have to go back to the same Garden of Eden where there is the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil; Adam and Eve didn’t eat the tree, they ate the fruit from the tree to obtain knowledge; so it is the fruit itself which contains the knowledge; and the tree should be seen as a source of knowledge as a teacher is a source of knowledge. (But their source of Knowledge was to be from the Tree of Life).

When we see the effect of eating the fruit of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, Adam and Eve begin to focus on their flesh; this indicates that before eating from that tree, the Lord God was the only source of knowledge that he had; and if by definition, God is good, evil is the flesh. Then, “evil” is anyone who considers themselves “a source of knowledge about God” -this was Paul’s postulation to the Corinthian church who used sensuality as a means of getting the knowledge of who God is.

As a result, Adam becomes a source of knowledge besides God and we see Lord God saying this: "Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil.

So far, we see that the Sabbath day was a day set aside for man to learn about the goodness of the Lord God, alone; and that man was to sit before the Lord to acquire this knowledge. In contrast to the expression of the Pharisees who exercised evil on that day - in thoughts and action (Luke 6:9). Jesus drew their attention to the initial purpose of the constitution of the Sabbath - Goodness alone, in that question: “I ask you, is it lawful to do good or to do harm on the Sabbath, to save a life or to destroy it?"

Jesus is claiming to be the Lord of the Sabbath is drawing our attention to the following:

1. He is the source of eternal life.
2. He is the sole source of the knowledge of God.
3. He created the worlds and man; He is the one who rested.
4. He is the one that was heralded in the Garden of Eden; and in essence, He is God.
5. He is the one that took the decision to expel man from the Garden of Eden.
6. He is the one that instituted the sacrifice of atonement, and appointed the Sabbaths from the Garden to the time of Abel to the time of Moses.
7. He is the one that caused the Mount Sinai to smoke.
8. He is the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob; including Moses.
9. He is Jehovah.

I hope I wasn’t too complex in my explanation. Please, feel free to ask any question in any part you have found to be incomprehensible.

Cc: MuttleyLaff

Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by MuttleyLaff: 5:17pm On Dec 11, 2020
Preciousgirl:
[23]Now it happened that He went through the grainfields on the Sabbath;
and as they went His disciples began to pluck the heads of grain.

Acehart, good stuff you spilled out up there, but the two things, OP, Preciousgirl asked were:

1) Lord Of The Sabbath
- What does Jesus mean here by this? (i.e. What specifically does He mean with "Lord Of The Sabbath" and why?). What prompted having Him say this?
2) Why say "the Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath.”. What is the point. What's the significance in saying this?
What is the meaning of "the Son of Man"?

cc: Bodydiialect57

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Picture Of The American Missionary Who Was Released By Kidnappers / Your Attitude To Sin Determines Your Salvation/Perfection, Not Activities / Why Does God Not Heal/help Like He Promised?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.