Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,783 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:13 AM

What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? (7097 Views)

Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? / What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? / How To Answer The Question "Where Did Jesus Say, 'I Am God, Worship Me''? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:46pm On Mar 27, 2022
What did Jesus mean when He said, "Today you will be with me in paradise"? Where does the comma belong in Luke 23:43?
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? by adeoyekay(m): 8:26pm On Mar 27, 2022
The verse is clear enough
You can't just pick a verse of the Bible and be pondering on it , I believe you know what brought up that statement by Jesus . So , there should be no need for question.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:27pm On Mar 27, 2022
adeoyekay:

The verse is clear enough
You can't just pick a verse of the Bible and be pondering on it , I believe you know what brought up that statement by Jesus . So , there should be no need for question.

Where does the comma belong in Luke 23:43? undecided
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? by adeoyekay(m): 8:30pm On Mar 27, 2022
Ask your question about that verse cus I didn't understand you very well

Comma is a punctuation mark which is used to make reading easier and be understandable. The comma is used to separate some words in that verse.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:51pm On Mar 27, 2022
Following! smiley

And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise. ~Holy Bible

Jesus answered him, "Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise." ~NIV

And he said to him, “Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise.” ~RSV

And he said to him: “Truly I tell you today, you will be with me in Paradise". ~NWT

1 Like

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? by sonmvayina(m): 9:08pm On Mar 27, 2022
After today...

That's the only place it makes remote sense..

1 Like

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? by cornelboy(f): 10:52pm On Mar 27, 2022
adeoyekay:
Ask your question about that verse cus I didn't understand you very well

Comma is a punctuation mark which is used to make reading easier and be understandable. The comma is used to separate some words in that verse.

Okay what's the meaning of the verse:

"Jesus answered him, "Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise." ~NIV

Have in mind that, 1. Jesus was in the grave for three days after that day 2. Paradise ain't same as heaven.

1 Like

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:31am On Mar 28, 2022
cornelboy:

"Jesus answered him, "Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise." ~NIV
Have in mind that, 1. Jesus was in the grave for three days after that day 2. Paradise ain't same as heaven.

I have a feeling that the OP is secretly reading our publications because only those that read our publications can think this deep.
This question is uncommon among Churchgoers! wink

1 Like

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? by adeoyekay(m): 6:24am On Mar 28, 2022
cornelboy:

let's start from verse 40
But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation? Said by the thief
Verse 42: And he said unto Jesus,Lord , remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom

His kingdom there symbolise a place of rest,eternal glory
Verse 43: And Jesus said unto him(thief on the cross) ,verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in parao.

Jesus was not in the grave but on crucifixion

The Bible makes us to understand that Jesus ascended to heaven and sat on the right hand of God

Also, heaven is filled up of the saints and righteous ones those who have been regenerated from their sin among those who will reign with Christ in everlasting glory this thief.will be there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? by Image123(m): 7:05am On Mar 28, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

I have a feeling that the OP is secretly reading our publications because only those that read our publications can think this deep.

The height of poo feeding. Anyway, it is not new. How can someone be so myopic to think that others cannot think without them?

3 Likes

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? by Image123(m): 7:07am On Mar 28, 2022
OLAADEGBU:
What did Jesus mean when He said, "Today you will be with me in paradise"? Where does the comma belong in Luke 23:43?

Lol, who puts the comma, Jesus or translators?

The comma doesn't change the fact that one thief is in hell looking for water and the other is in paradise waiting for us. wink

1 Like

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:18am On Mar 28, 2022
Image123:

The height of poo feeding. Anyway, it is not new. How can someone be so myopic to think that others cannot think without them?

Image123:

The comma doesn't change the fact that one thief is in hell looking for water and the other is in paradise waiting for us. wink

So in your own conclusion OLAADEGBU shouldn't ask the question, right?

I thought you're not supposed to THINK for him? cheesy
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:20am On Mar 28, 2022
adeoyekay:

Also, heaven is filled up of the saints and righteous ones those who have been regenerated from their sin among those who will reign with Christ in everlasting glory this thief.will be there.

Following! smiley

1 Like

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? by cornelboy(f): 7:41am On Mar 28, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

To be honest, I wanted to ask him if he's studying with the JWs, because the JW man from New Zealand opened my eyes to that when I was trying to defend the doctrine of immortal soul cheesy

I no dé use JWs play o.
Everything is well figured out.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:59am On Mar 28, 2022
Under the arrangement set up by the most righteous Personality in the universe it was stated:
“You must not steal" Exodus 20:15
Then the same Person goes on to send His son to counsel people saying:
"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled" Matthew 5:6

But in the same nation where all these is happening a certain young man decides to ignore all these due to the greed in his heart so he became an armed robber and in the process was arrested and sentenced to death, then he saw God's Son receiving the same punishment as he does but due to conscience he couldn't utter a word to Jesus since he has seen Jesus taught and performed many mighty works. But his cohort whose heart is hardened saw Jesus and started laughing at Jesus saying.

You this guy that always preach about righteousness and performing great miraculous works, why not use your power to free yourself and us? Luke 23:39

According to the scriptures the Messiah will be killed {Daniel 9:26} and Jesus himself has declared that it's after his resurrection three days later that he will continue his work {Matthew 12:40} so the thief whose conscience is disturbing him now rebuked his cohort and humbly he looked at Jesus and begged saying:

"Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom" Luke 23:42

Instantly Jesus turned to him and said:
"Truly I tell you today, you will be with me in paradise." Matthew 23:43

©So was Jesus taking that thief to God's Kingdom that very day?
©What makes that theif (who ignored Jesus' preaching, teaching and miraculous works when he was free) now beg when about to end his life?
©What are the criteria for going to rule in heaven with Christ?
©Did the thief meet up with such requirements?
©What lesson do we learn from this event?
©Does it mean ruling with Jesus in heaven can be given to anyone (including criminals)?
©What about being BORN AGAIN that Jesus talked about?
©Has this thief bypassed all the prerequisites for being a candidate of heaven?

These and many more questions will determine where the comma supposed to be.

Some translators rendered it this way:

"I tell you, today you will be with me in Paradise"

While some rendered it this way:

"i tell you today, you will be with me in Paradise"

The reader only need to use discernment! Proverbs 2:1-5 smiley

4 Likes

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:05am On Mar 28, 2022
cornelboy:

To be honest, I wanted to ask him if he's studying with the JWs, because the man from opened my eyes to that when I was trying to defend the doctrine of immortal soul.
I no dé use JWs play o.
Everything is well figured out.

Well Jesus' statement about the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses always ring a bell in my mind:

“Who really is the faithful and discreet slave whom his master appointed over his domestics, to give them their food at the proper time?" Matthew 24:45

If Kumuyi (the founder of the church where the OP attends) has done justice to the topic he won't have raised the question here.
Can't you see the other stupid Churchgoer complaining when he himself doesn't know the weight of the question OP raised? smiley
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? by Image123(m): 8:21am On Mar 28, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

So in your own conclusion OLAADEGBU shouldn't ask the question, right?

I thought you're not supposed to THINK for him? cheesy

He's not asking the question out of ignorance or seeking for answers, you should learn to know people better. He's putting it up for forum discussion and knowledge share. Like a form of breaking bread, though that hardly exists on the platform. You think Jesus was confused or unsure of His identity when He asked questions?
On thinking, can't you see that you are so blind? Why do you think anywhere there's a semblance of agreement with you, the person must have learned from your little gods or be a member of your cult? Are you unaware that people study the Bible or they teach you that no one can study Bible if he's not from your little cult?

2 Likes

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:51am On Mar 28, 2022
Image123:

He's not asking the question out of ignorance or seeking for answers, you should learn to know people better. He's putting it up for forum discussion and knowledge share. Like a form of breaking bread, though that hardly exists on the platform. You think Jesus was confused or unsure of His identity when He asked questions?
On thinking, can't you see that you are so blind? Why do you think anywhere there's a semblance of agreement with you, the person must have learned from your little gods or be a member of your cult? Are you unaware that people study the Bible or they teach you that no one can study Bible if he's not from your little cult?

Someone asked a question about what he don't know and here you are trying to tell us what he had in mind, are you his spokesman? cheesy
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? by yommyoke: 9:58am On Mar 28, 2022
MaxInDHouse:
Under the arrangement set up by the most righteous Personality in the universe it was stated:
“You must not steal" Exodus 20:15
Then the same Person goes on to send His son to counsel people saying:
"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled" Matthew 5:6

But in the same nation where all these is happening a certain young man decides to ignore all these due to the greed in his heart so he became an armed robber and in the process was arrested and sentenced to death, then he saw God's Son receiving the same punishment as he does but due to conscience he couldn't utter a word to Jesus since he has seen Jesus taught and performed many mighty works. But his cohort whose heart is hardened saw Jesus and started laughing at Jesus saying.

You this guy that always preach about righteousness and performing great miraculous works, why not use your power to free yourself and us? Luke 23:39

According to the scriptures the Messiah will be killed {Daniel 9:26} and Jesus himself has declared that it's after his resurrection three days later that he will continue his work {Matthew 12:40} so the thief whole conscience is disturbing him now rebuked his cohort and humbly he looked at Jesus and begged saying:

"Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom" Luke 23:42

Instantly Jesus turned to him and said:
"Truly I tell you today, you will be with me in paradise." Matthew 23:43

©So was Jesus taking that thief to God's Kingdom that very day?
©What makes that theif (who ignored Jesus' preaching, teaching and miraculous works when he was free) now beg when about to end his life?
©What are the criteria for going to rule in heaven with Christ?
©Did the thief meet up with such requirements?
©What lesson do we learn from this event?
©Does it mean ruling with Jesus in heaven can be given to anyone (including criminals)?
©What about being BORN AGAIN that Jesus talked about?
©Has this thief bypassed all the prerequisites for being a candidate of heaven?

These and many more questions will determine where the comma supposed to be.

Some translators rendered it this way:

"I tell you, today you will be with me in Paradise"

While some rendered it this way:

"i tell you today, you will be with me in Paradise"

The reader only need to use discernment! Proverbs 2:1-5 smiley

Respect, never for once think in this direction. So this is a case of grammatical understanding,
"I tell you today, you will be ......." And "I tell you, today you will be ......."..
It sure means the thief will be in paradise, but might not be that same day, since Jesus was still probably on earth for the next three days before finally ascending into heaven.

Great!!

2 Likes

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? by MaxInDHouse(m): 12:11pm On Mar 28, 2022
yommyoke:

Respect, never for once think in this direction. So this is a case of grammatical understanding,
"I tell you today, you will be ......." And "I tell you, today you will be ......."..
It sure means the thief will be in paradise, but might not be that same day, since Jesus was still probably on earth for the next three days before finally ascending into heaven.

Great!!

Thanks, all glory and honor to the true God who dispensed His holy spirit so that we may understand these sacred secrets! 2Corinthians 13:14 compare to John 14:26; 16:12-13 smiley
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? by Kobojunkie: 12:33pm On Mar 28, 2022
adeoyekay:
1. His kingdom there symbolise a place of rest,eternal glory . Verse 43: And Jesus said unto him(thief on the cross) ,verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in parao.

2. Jesus was not in the grave but on crucifixion. The Bible makes us to understand that Jesus ascended to heaven and sat on the right hand of God

3. Also, heaven is filled up of the saints and righteous ones those who have been regenerated from their sin among those who will reign with Christ in everlasting glory this thief.will be there.
1. Wrong! The Kingdom of God is symbol for the Kingdom of God just as the earth of symbol for the earth! undecided

2. Again wrong! Jesus died and was buried... He did not ascend up to Heaven until 2 weeks afterwards. Open your eyes in order to separate the delusions you have obviously been fed from what is in fact written! undecided

3. Also Wrong! Heaven and Hell are currently unoccupied by humans, as the gates will not be made open to admission until after Jesus Christ returns. This is what Jesus Christ taught His followers literally and even in parables. undecided

Also, the thief on the cross was promised Paradise, not the Kingdom of God so it is a lie to claim he will be in Heaven.. undecided
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? by Kobojunkie: 12:37pm On Mar 28, 2022
yommyoke:
It sure means the thief will be in paradise, but might not be that same day, since Jesus was still probably on earth for the next three days before finally ascending into heaven. Great!!
I don't get it! undecided

Also, why would the thief, contrary to all of Jesus Christ's very own teaching, be anywhere near Heaven? undecided

Before you answer, make certain you understand what Jesus Christ meant when He said Heaven and Earth will pass away but not a jot of the Word of God will pass away (change). undecided
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? by cornelboy(f): 3:39pm On Mar 28, 2022
adeoyekay:
let's start from verse 40
But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation? Said by the thief
Verse 42: And he said unto Jesus,Lord , remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom

His kingdom there symbolise a place of rest,eternal glory
Verse 43: And Jesus said unto him(thief on the cross) ,verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in parao.

Jesus was not in the grave but on crucifixion

The Bible makes us to understand that Jesus ascended to heaven and sat on the right hand of God

Lemme just summarise everything for you.

Verse 43: And Jesus said unto him ,"verily I say unto thee, today shalt thou be with me in paradise".
If the comma should be placed before "today" like most Bible translation do, it would mean that Jesus and the thief went to paradise that same day after they died on the cross.

But the fact is Jesus died and was in the grave for 3 days before GOD raised him from the dead. So logically he didn't go to paradise that same day he died.

And Jesus said unto him ,"verily I say unto thee today, shalt thou be with me in paradise".

If the comma is placed after today {which is actually where it should be}, then it makes sense. Jesus promised the thief the future paradise here on earth.

Note that the thief asked Jesus to remember him in his kingdom.
The thief can't enter God's Kingdom because he wasn't baptized by the holy spirit (not born again).

In conclusion, only the few chosen people will inherit God's kingdom while the rest of the righteous will inherit the new earth paradise.
May you have peace!
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? by Image123(m): 4:19pm On Mar 28, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Someone asked a question about what he don't know and here you are trying to tell us what he had in mind, are you his spokesman? cheesy

You only need to look through his threads since you don't know him and can't read. i have known him for a good while and he is my good friend. You forgot to answer the Jesus question. Your elders never give you expo ni?

1 Like

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? by adeoyekay(m): 4:38pm On Mar 28, 2022
Kobojunkie:
I don't get it! undecided

Also, why would the thief, contrary to all of Jesus Christ's very own teaching, be anywhere near Heaven? undecided

Before you answer, make certain you understand what Jesus Christ meant when He said Heaven and Earth will pass away but not a jot of the Word of God will pass away (change). undecided
I don't have much to say, we shall understand it better by and by
Why did you like to be antagonizing
There is probability that you might see this thread before me, but just wait for people to comment so that you can attack them . Instead of you to provide your own points of view and backed it up with the scripture

May God reveal the truth to us in Jesus name.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? by Kobojunkie: 4:46pm On Mar 28, 2022
adeoyekay:
1. I don't have much to say, we shall understand it better by and by

2. Why did you like to be antagonizing.

3. There is probability that you might see this thread before me, but just wait for people to comment so that you can attack them . Instead of you to provide your own points of view and backed it up with the scripture

May God reveal the truth to us in Jesus name.
1. Again Wrong! Jesus Christ assured His followers that the understanding of the Kingdom of God will be given to us, in the here and now, if we do as He commands of us - Matthew 13 vs 10 - 17 & Mark 4 vs 22 - 24 & Matthew 25 vs 28 . undecided

So if you don't understand what is written even now, it isn't God to blame but you. undecided

2. Antagonize who? Learn to get your ego out of the way so you don't keep imaging folks attacking you wnen they only see your words and not you. undecided

3. I don't follow. undecided
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? by MaxInDHouse(m): 5:04pm On Mar 28, 2022
Image123:

You only need to look through his threads since you don't know him and can't read. i have known him for a good while and he is my good friend. You forgot to answer the Jesus question. Your elders never give you expo ni?

Allow him to speak for himself because i have a feeling that he's now learning unlike you who is always abusing people yet pointing accusing fingers at others! smiley
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? by Acehart: 6:11pm On Mar 28, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

The comma means: after “today”. The context reveals its meaning; Do you see what the criminal said to Jesus in the previous verse, 42: “Remember me when you come into your kingdom.” The criminal was speaking about the “kingdom.” The “kingdom” is not “heaven,” rather, it is future, it is not available now, which is why the criminal said, ‘when you come into your kingdom.’

Let's see if there is any text in the scriptures that supports this "futuristic" conclusion and scenario- Job 33: 27-28,

He looketh upon men, and if any say, I have sinned, and perverted that which was right, and it profited me not; He will deliver his soul from going into the pit, and his life shall see the light.

It would not be wrong to state that Jesus' use of the word "today" together with the comma punctuation, is similar to the way we use the word "now" in the English Language when it isn't used as an adverb of time but rather to draw attention to a particular statement or point in a narrative.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? by Acehart: 6:24pm On Mar 28, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

Where does the comma belong in Luke 23:43? undecided

In the original language, it reads something like this: Now with me, you will be in paradise
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:55pm On Mar 28, 2022
Image123:

It was actually an Archbishop called Stephen Langton that added the comma in the Bible but some mischievous folks have now shifted the goalpost to change the meaning to suit their narratives. smiley

1 Like

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? by Image123(m): 6:54am On Mar 29, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Allow him to speak for himself because i have a feeling that he's now learning unlike you who is always abusing people yet pointing accusing fingers at others! smiley

How is your feeling, hope they are not crushed?
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:31am On Mar 29, 2022
Image123:

How is your feeling, hope they are not crushed?
Even though you pretend to be a Christian yet whenever you come in contact with JWs you're so week that you can't contain the bitterness in your heart! Luke 6:45 smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Is Midnight Prayer More Effective Than Day Time ? / About The Idea Of Heaven And Eternal Bliss / Jihad: The Sixth Deadly Pillar Of Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.