Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,001 members, 7,863,596 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 09:13 PM

Reps To Increase Supreme Court Justices From 21 To 41 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps To Increase Supreme Court Justices From 21 To 41 (11778 Views)

PDP Delegates From 21 LGAs Storm Maduka's Hometown To Show Solidarity / Constitution Review: CJN Seeks Reduction Of Supreme Court Justices From 21 To 16 / Names Of Supreme Court Justices That Quashed Orji Uzor Kalu's Conviction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reps To Increase Supreme Court Justices From 21 To 41 by fubsy: 10:02am On Dec 10, 2020
GreyLaw:

Funny talk. People should be allowed to seek justice to the highest level possible.
What justice? Tenants will be in another man's house and will refuse to pay rent or leave because a case he has filed is pending at the Supreme Court. Is that justice to the land owner and to the society?

What justice? Two parties will enter into an arbitration agreement, and when an award is given, one party will go to court to set it aside on frivolous reason, and keep the matter at the Supreme Court. Is that justice?

What justice? A lawyer will at the High Court apply for stay of proceedings and when the court refuses the application so that the matter will be heard, the lawyer appeals to the Court of Appeal and further to the Supreme Court. Is that justice?

My friend, that is using the instrumentalities of the law to create and perpetuate injustice. The Supreme Court of Nigeria should be for very serious cases, not for frivolities.

3 Likes

Re: Reps To Increase Supreme Court Justices From 21 To 41 by new2012: 10:05am On Dec 10, 2020
No na.. it should be 1 per local government or even per community. 41 is still too small.. retards
Re: Reps To Increase Supreme Court Justices From 21 To 41 by kingdavid09: 10:06am On Dec 10, 2020
Good news
Re: Reps To Increase Supreme Court Justices From 21 To 41 by seborrhic: 10:40am On Dec 10, 2020
FarahAideed:

Supreme court Judges are expensive to fund , I hope you realise each judge has an entire office structure around him replete with staff that handle Secretariat duties , logistics and security ...I am close to one particular judge and I can see it cost over a billion to run him a year
Rubbish talk.
Unless u are talking of corrupt over bloating of the expenses.
Average 10 staff at 100k/month=N12m/yr.
5 policemen 50k additional commission per policeman=N3m/yr
Running of office cannot be more than 20-30million
Salary plus allowances I don't think is officially more than 12m/yr.
Total estimate at most 50million,so where are u getting your N1.5b or u just manufactured it from your head as many Nigerians do with figures?
Re: Reps To Increase Supreme Court Justices From 21 To 41 by FarahAideed: 10:47am On Dec 10, 2020
seborrhic:

Rubbish talk.
Total estimate at most 50million,so where are u getting your N1.5b or u just manufactured it from your head as many Nigerians do with figures?

I see your point but what I have said is what it is ..The supreme court is a very corrupt and expensive place and those who know know
Re: Reps To Increase Supreme Court Justices From 21 To 41 by AthosEsq: 11:10am On Dec 10, 2020
FarahAideed:
And who is going to fund them ?it takes averagely 1.5 billion naira to fund one supreme court judge in a year

I don't know where you guys get all these fake information from.
Supreme Court Justice get 1.5 billion... From where?
The entire budget if the entire judges in the entire Nigeria is not up to 80 billion. And note that the government doesn't even release up to half of that amount.
Do you even know what 1.5 billion is at all?
Re: Reps To Increase Supreme Court Justices From 21 To 41 by FarahAideed: 11:17am On Dec 10, 2020
AthosEsq:

I don't know where you guys get all these fake information from.
Supreme Court Justice get 1.5 billion... From where?
The entire budget if the entire judges in the entire Nigeria is not up to 80 billion. And note that the government doesn't even release up to half of that amount.
Do you even know what 1.5 billion is at all?

Go further down and read what I wrote ..I wasn't speaking of their salary and yes I know what 1.5 billion is , it's just 3 million dollars which is about the turnover my Business makes a year .
Re: Reps To Increase Supreme Court Justices From 21 To 41 by oostin: 12:27pm On Dec 10, 2020
It's not the number of Justices that is the problem.

The United States Supreme Court has 9 Justices who serve for life and they're doing just fine.

The problem with the Supreme Court of Nigeria is that there are so many cases that get to the Supreme Court that have no business being there. It's preposterous that matters between landlords and tenants still get to the Supreme Court.

The Nigerian Supreme Court should mirror the Unites States Supreme Court and handle mainly constitutional matters and criminal matters involving the death penalty.

Of course this would require an amendment to the Constitution and some of our extant laws.

1 Like

Re: Reps To Increase Supreme Court Justices From 21 To 41 by panpan(m): 2:31pm On Dec 10, 2020
Even 21 supreme court justices are too many.
We should try to reduce the cost of governance, or at least, avoid increasing the cost unnecessarily.

The number of supreme court justices in some other countries:

United States - 9
Canada - 9
Brazil - 11
United Kingdom - 12
Ireland - 9
Australia - 7
New Zealand - 6
Re: Reps To Increase Supreme Court Justices From 21 To 41 by walex2(m): 9:09pm On Dec 10, 2020
mathkid:
lipsrsealed

Please contact me for your business logo, flyer, banner, posters, business cards, letterhead and many other designs

Check my signature for more info and contact me

Thanks
dont pay a dime to anyone claiming to design anything here on nairaland unless u know the person personally. Most of them are 419. Talking from experience
Re: Reps To Increase Supreme Court Justices From 21 To 41 by mathkid(m): 12:00am On Dec 11, 2020
walex2:
dont pay a dime to anyone claiming to design anything here on nairaland unless u know the person personally. Most of them are 419. Talking from experience

Looks like this is not true, met most of my clients here and they've been good so far.

But might go south in your case.

Any issue?
Re: Reps To Increase Supreme Court Justices From 21 To 41 by mathkid(m): 12:02am On Dec 11, 2020
walex2:

Or wait are you advising me or I don't get you sir.
Re: Reps To Increase Supreme Court Justices From 21 To 41 by Okoroawusa: 12:26am On Dec 11, 2020
The judicial system we run makes cases to end up easily at the supreme Court from the lower court and as it's the justices are over worked. Instead of increasing the supreme Court justices I will support an increase of the appeal court judges. Let's make the Supreme court really supreme. Not all cases should terminate there.
Or better make it possible for each state to have an appeal court.
Re: Reps To Increase Supreme Court Justices From 21 To 41 by Okoroawusa: 12:27am On Dec 11, 2020
oostin:
It's not the number of Justices that is the problem.

The United States Supreme Court has 9 Justices who serve for life and they're doing just fine.

The problem with the Supreme Court of Nigeria is that there are so many cases that get to the Supreme Court that have no business being there. It's preposterous that matters between landlords and tenants still get to the Supreme Court.

The Nigerian Supreme Court should mirror the Unites States Supreme Court and handle mainly constitutional matters and criminal matters involving the death penalty.

Of course this would require an amendment to the Constitution and some of our extant laws.
My thoughts exactly
Re: Reps To Increase Supreme Court Justices From 21 To 41 by Nobody: 6:38am On Dec 11, 2020
seborrhic:

Rubbish talk.
You are not even sure of their salary, meanwhile add cost of vehicles in their convoy plus Maintenace, generator and maintenance for their residence. Travel expenses

We don’t need 41 Supreme Court justices even US with almost double our population uses just 9 max. We want to cut cost of governance as FG claims we are broke and someone comes up with this.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Annkio Briggs: Danger Looms If Nigeria Fails To Restructure / Tinubu Hails Winners’ Chapel Founder, Oyedepo At 69 / Protest Rocks APC Secretariat Makurdi (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.