Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,991 members, 7,817,915 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:52 PM

A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora (28162 Views)

Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Lies Of Nigerians Living In America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Remified(m): 8:44pm On Dec 13, 2020
Good day NL
Am conducting a public poll for a research am carrying out.
I would like our brothers and sisters living abroad to share how people in the different countries the base react when the find out or notice the are Nigerians and there mindsets towards Nigerians
Modified.
Also what are the misplaced ideologies and thoughts the have about us? ( pls emphasis on this If there are any )
Also mention the name of the country you reside in.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by etrange: 9:06pm On Dec 13, 2020
To start with, the city where I live is considered to be the most diverse city in the world. Virtually everyone is from somewhere. In such a place, people are addressed based on their content and not based on where they are from or their accent. The truth is, we all have read or heard many things about one another's country (both good and bad) and we have also met both good and terrible people from the same country. So we know better than to stereotype people. To be honest, most of my experience has been in the corporate environment but I strongly believe the city is way too diverse for Nigerians to be singled out nevertheless.

To answer the OP more directly, everyone knows I'm Nigerian at my place of work cause we normally spend a lot of time talking about our home countries and no one has ever reacted in an unruly manner towards me on learning I'm from Nigeria even as I'm the only African in the organisation (my office is in another city).

115 Likes 8 Shares

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Remified(m): 9:18pm On Dec 13, 2020
etrange:
To start with, the city where I live is considered to be the most diverse city in the world. Virtually everyone is from somewhere. In such a place, people are addressed based on their content and not based on where they are from or their accent. The truth is, we all have read or heard many things about one another's country (both good and bad) and we have also met both good and terrible people from the same country. So we know better than to stereotype people. To be honest, most of my experience has been in the corporate environment but I strongly believe the city is way too diverse for Nigerians to be singled out nevertheless.

To answer the OP more directly, everyone knows I'm Nigerian at my place of work cause we normally spend a lot of time talking about our home countries and no one has ever reacted in an unruly manner towards me on learning I'm from Nigeria (even as I'm the only African in the organisation).
Nice
Which country are u based
And can u say the same for other cities in the country
Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by ednut1(m): 9:21pm On Dec 13, 2020
Many people i have met dont know where Nigeria is. Person wey dey stay banana island cant be bothered about how life is in iyana ipaja. Some dont even know we speak English.

136 Likes 11 Shares

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Remified(m): 9:29pm On Dec 13, 2020
ednut1:
Many people i have met dont know where Nigeria is. Person wey dey stay banana island cant be bothered about how life is in iyana ipaja. Some dont even know we speak English.
Funny but insightful
Pls what country do u base

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by etrange: 9:31pm On Dec 13, 2020
Remified:

Nice
Which country are u based
And can u say the same for other cities in the country

I'm in Canada. Some parts of Canada are far more diverse than others so it might be over generalizing to assume it's the same thing everywhere. Besides, I only shared my personal experience.

The truth is, Nigeria isn't even as well known as people in Nigeria like to think. Questions like where is Nigeria, is it anglophone or francophone, etc. are not uncommon.

134 Likes 6 Shares

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by etrange: 9:36pm On Dec 13, 2020
ednut1:

Exactly.

It's natural/normal for people to believe their countries have got the spotlight for one reason or the other. But really, the world's is way too big to give a damn. Countries near Nigeria (other African countries) might make a big deal of one being a Nigerian but not out here. I think most of the stories about people behaving in a certain way when they hear one is from Nigeria happen at the airports or embassies where nationality is indeed a subject (I had a slightly unpleasant experience at the airport in Dubai).

107 Likes 6 Shares

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by ednut1(m): 9:36pm On Dec 13, 2020
Remified:

Funny but insightful
Pls what country do u base
canada, also lived in the uk. Many uk people didn't know they colonised us. Oyinbo generally doesn't give a f**k about any other countries except theirs. You guys speak English You have internet over there Bla bla bla. With all the stories about Nigerian scammers and Nigerian prince, may people still fall maga to them as they are not aware

89 Likes 7 Shares

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Fidelismaria: 11:21pm On Dec 13, 2020
As we never comot naija, make we read tori.

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Caracta(f): 2:34am On Dec 14, 2020
Well for me, I think it depends on the scenario. By the way, I live in California.

At school (college), the people around me find it exciting especially my professors. They want to learn more about my culture. Working with patients at a clinic, my accent gives me away as a Nigerian and only one 'salty' person asked about the "Nigerian Prince". Apparently, he was scammed badly by a Nigerian and he took it out on me. He was literally screaming the place down. Long and short, we became friends.

When I worked as an elementary school teacher, I realized many of the students have different orientation about Africa. They didn't even know Nigeria per se so I was always carrying a map around to show them. I was sick of explaining that Africa was not a country with animals on the streets. A little boy even told me he heard they eat humans in Africa and he asked if I was going to eat him too.

As for my friends (non-African), oh those ones are the sweetest. They say Nigerians talk so loud you would think they were fighting. One day, I had my two small wraps of fufu and vegetable soup with assorted meat, and my friends were legit scared for me. They were like, "do you want to die? How can you eat all of that?" They think we do things at the extreme...eating, talking, dancing, playing, etc. Even our names are so long. Lol.

Overall, I've had a good time. I am a proud Nigerian...a proud African. My daughter wears ankara fabric dress to school once a week or two. I wear my culture like a hat and I am not sorry I am black!

364 Likes 29 Shares

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Drenimarcus(m): 2:47am On Dec 14, 2020
I live in Minnesota which is predominantly white but populated with Somalis who are refugees. At work, we got 2 or 3 Somalis working. The first day at work, my lead told me i spoke good english lol, told her we were colonized by the british and we all speak the queen's language eloquently, she asked me which part i am from? Told her i am from the southern part.

From my POV, most of them dont know anything about Africa and the Somalis do not help with their raw and brazen wildness, some know nigerians because we are basically everywhere, they think africans ride elephants and have lions as pet. grin grin .

I try to educate some of them tho. Amazingly, none of them ever spoke or talked about "Nigerian Prince".

106 Likes 5 Shares

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Caracta(f): 3:01am On Dec 14, 2020
Yeah they were quite surprised at my English too. They told me I speak with a British accent. In my mind, I was like 'who dashed me that one'. We were colonized duhhh. They are tired of my name though. They just can't seem to pronounce it well. When I go for appointments and it's my turn, they just come to me to usher me in. They would rather do that than announce my name. I don't like it that way so I try to teach them the short form if it's a place I have to go often.

80 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Drenimarcus(m): 3:07am On Dec 14, 2020
Caracta:
Yeah they were quite surprised at my English too. They told me I speak with a British accent. In my mind, I was like 'who dashed me that one'. We were colonized duhhh. They are tired of my name though. They just can't seem to pronounce it well. When I go for appointments and it's my turn, they just come to me to usher me in. They would rather do that than announce my name. I don't like it that way so I try to teach them the short form if it's a place I have to go often.

haha, to rub it in for them, i use the "big english" to let them know say no be wayo grin grin, my name is kinda short but they like to drag it, they tend to apologize if they cant pronounce it well. I just tell them it is okay, i have an abbreviation.

I wear my natives to church e'rry sunday, they love the hand designs, always asking me when am i going to nigeria to buy for them lmao.

60 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Remified(m): 7:35am On Dec 14, 2020
Remified:
Good day NL
Am conducting a public poll for a research am carrying out.
I would like our brothers and sisters living abroad to share how people in the different countries the base react when the find out or notice the are Nigerians and there mindsets towards Nigerians
Modified.
Also what are the misplaced ideologies and thoughts the have about us? ( pls emphasis on this If there are any )
Also mention the name of the country you reside in.

So far so good and interesting
Pls those of us based in other African countries can also share there opinions on what the residents of the country the base thinks of us and the misplaced ideologies the have about us.

13 Likes

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by metformin(m): 8:33am On Dec 14, 2020
it's getting interesting, please mods get it to the front page. sweet tori

11 Likes

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by DortmundGirl(f): 8:40am On Dec 14, 2020
Im residing in western Germany.

Most people around believe that Nigerians are only scammmers 419 etc. Even other African people keep distance. Its nothing to brag with.

My colleagues believe we are still living in huts, its not easy.

75 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Promiseold: 8:44am On Dec 14, 2020
Nice

1 Like

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Nobody: 8:44am On Dec 14, 2020
Some people will come and start lying now

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by vlone7: 8:44am On Dec 14, 2020
ednut1:

1 Like

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by pol23: 8:45am On Dec 14, 2020
Sugar and sand...
I've had experience of someone leaving the pool because I was about to enter...
A German in Canada.
I've also got a free drink because I'm black in Tokyo.
Being Nigerian only matter when you're applying for a job or something similar...
Majorly you're just a black man...

73 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Latidoh1: 8:45am On Dec 14, 2020
What of Nigerians living in Livaspora

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Brayss(m): 8:46am On Dec 14, 2020
I'm here to read and learn

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

JSS3 Student Crushed To Death By Tanker In Enugu (Graphic Pics) / Water Tanker Crushes Tricycle, Kills One, Injures Others In Anambra (Graphic) / A Hiking Experience In Snake Island

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.