Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,927 members, 7,814,123 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:12 AM

A Hiking Experience In Snake Island - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Hiking Experience In Snake Island (28158 Views)

Hiking Idere Hills - The New Tourist Attraction In Oyo State / Hiking The Seven Floors Of Erin Ijesha Waterfalls / Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Hiking Experience In Snake Island by nonye6194: 1:00am On Jun 21, 2019
I had been looking for an opportunity to visit the beach with no particular one in mind. Fortunately, I was contacted on my last post about a trip to the Lekki Conservation Center ( http://20somethingsteps.com.ng/2019/06/20/the-lekki-conservation-center-a-visit-to-nature/ ) to come for a hiking experience from Apapa, through the Snake Island to the Tarkwa Bay Beach. I agreed and made plans to attend.

So on the morning of the trip, I made it to the Apapa Sea School which was our Converging/take off point to the island. A few hours later, others arrived and soon afterwards, we ready to leave. After a headcount and other formalities, everyone strapped on their safety jackets, boarded the boat and we out set sailing to the Snake island.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Hiking Experience In Snake Island by nonye6194: 1:02am On Jun 21, 2019
Our boat ride took less than 8 minutes and during the ride, we got to pass beside several vessels ladened with containers on the water. The size of these vessels were incredible and getting that close to them was really something.

16 Likes

Re: A Hiking Experience In Snake Island by nonye6194: 1:03am On Jun 21, 2019
Arriving the shores of Snake island, we joined the rest of the team already there and after a few minutes of briefing from our local guide and the Man O War officials, our hike began.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Hiking Experience In Snake Island by nonye6194: 1:08am On Jun 21, 2019
For those hearing about Snake Island for the first time, here's a bit of information about the place I culled from research:

The Tomaro Onisowo Island (AKA Snake island) is a community of over 15 villages that have been living closely together for decades. Legend has it that the earlier settlers here were migrants from Ile Ife but there exist a non-yoruba speaking population of the community (referred to as the 'Egun' people) who migrated to the island from a neighbouring country with no record of how long they've been living on the island.
A tale exists of the island being used in the past as a holding cell for captured slaves before being transported to Badagary where they are put in slave ships bound for Europe.
The nickname of the community 'Snake Island' has two explanations to it today. The first is attributed to the presence of lots of snakes and other reptiles in the community in the past.
The other reason simply explains that the name was gotten from the way the villages are connected to each other and arranged in what looks like an 'S' shape. Either way, the alias 'Snake island' is mostly used than its original name (Tomaro Onisowo Island) today.

Lalasticlala

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Hiking Experience In Snake Island by nonye6194: 1:09am On Jun 21, 2019
Hiking through the community, I noticed life moved at a slower pace here than in the average Lagos Community. Not much of development has reached this part of the state but nevertheless, the residents are still living their lives and going about their activities quietly.

Note to self: Not every island you hear about in Lagos is a posh one.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Hiking Experience In Snake Island by nonye6194: 1:10am On Jun 21, 2019
While the hike went on, we passed a secondary school with Solar panels and street lights around it. I had to engage the tour guide later on who gave me more insight about the solar project and the school itself.
He mentioned that aside the school solar project and generating sets some villagers afforded for their homes or businesses, there was no other form of electricity on the island. This is because the community isn't connected to the national grid.

He added that before the school was built in 2009, primary education was the highest level of formal education the children in the community attained. Except for very few parents that could afford schools outside the island for their wards. Other kids didn't get further education, although some dared to get high school education by all means such as taking menial jobs to afford boat fares to and fro schools at Apapa. While some did the unbelievable by swimming the distance, just to catch up academically with their mates outside Tomaro island.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Hiking Experience In Snake Island by nonye6194: 1:12am On Jun 21, 2019
Then in 2008, an American teacher, Deena Grushkin who ran the Nigerian School Foundation (TNSF) visited the community and after pleas from the community head, returned a year later to build a secondary school for the community. In the latter years, the Lagos State Government took over ownership of the institution and gifted the school the solar project due to the exceptional performance of It's students in the BECE examinations. As at 2014, the school ranked 1st in Amuwo Odofin LGA and 33rd out of over 1000 secondary schools in Lagos State.

Below is Ms Grushkin pictured with elders of the Tomaro community about 3 years ago

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Hiking Experience In Snake Island by nonye6194: 1:15am On Jun 21, 2019
Aside the school, there exist other amenities in the community such as a public health center, police station, hospital, etc. We even passed a borehole project built by the immediate past administration which was commissioned in 2018.

It isn't functional anymore tho

8 Likes

Re: A Hiking Experience In Snake Island by nonye6194: 1:18am On Jun 21, 2019
Back on our hike lol grin

Hiking a 25km distance wasn't beans and completing such task under the scorching sun of the day, coupled with the terrain of the community, made walking very difficult.

Fun fact: This island was the first location where the now rested Gulder Ultimate Search TV show was hosted. I still miss that good ole show.

25 Likes

Re: A Hiking Experience In Snake Island by nonye6194: 1:20am On Jun 21, 2019
Almost halfway through the hike, thirst and hunger was hitting everyone and most of us have already finished our supplies which was supposed to last the whole trip. Fortunately, we stumbled upon a store with cold drinks and in no time, the owner's supply ran out. Even with the increase in price the owner made for his wares, it didn't compare to the thirst for a cold drink everyone had which drove the sales he made that afternoon.

Theory of high demand = inflation in practice cool

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Hiking Experience In Snake Island by nonye6194: 1:22am On Jun 21, 2019
We continued our journey and before long, we came across a railway track and then the guide informed us that our hiking trip was about to be completed. Walking a bit further, the Tarkwa Bay Beach was in sight.

Alleluia somebody!

12 Likes

Re: A Hiking Experience In Snake Island by nonye6194: 1:24am On Jun 21, 2019
The Tarkwa Bay Beach itself was a phenomenal site. I was impressed by the setting of the beach and how activities went on here on a weekend. I wanted to explore more of the beach but a brotherly was already too tired sad.

I returned less than a week later and spent a full day there with my tour buddies and you can read about that here (http://20somethingsteps.com.ng/2019/06/20/sea-sand-surf-a-day-at-tarkwa-bay-beach/)

8 Likes

Re: A Hiking Experience In Snake Island by nonye6194: 1:27am On Jun 21, 2019
Dear lalasticlala, it's a shame I walked through the valley and shadow of the Snake island without finding your most prized pet.

Not even a monitor lizard cry.

I had to make some reparation by writing your name on the beach and draw the most popular Nairaland celebrity on it grin. Hopefully, you would accept my sacrifice of contrition sir.

Thank you smiley

154 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Hiking Experience In Snake Island by nonye6194: 1:31am On Jun 21, 2019
My experience here is in no way a means to belittle the wonderful people of Tomaro community. The island is a wonderful place with so many untapped resources that could generate good revenue for investors. The people are one of the nicest I've met and shared some time with in Lagos State. Hopefully one day, the government would come to their aid and empower then with more amenities that'll boost economic growth and development in the community.

Many thanks to the organizers of this annual hike exercise and I look forward to the next one. You can follow them on ig @prolificienthike smiley

Cc lalasticlala Dominique mynd44 seun explorers

Cc lalasticlala Dominique mynd44 seun explorers
Amakavula

While at it, you can read about my other trips below;

1. Tarkwa Bay Beach:
https://20somethingsteps.travel.blog/2019/12/24/sand-water-and-fun-a-day-at-tarkwa-bay-beach/

2. Lekki conservation center (LCC):
https://20somethingsteps.travel.blog/2019/12/25/about-our-trip-to-the-lekki-conservation-center-lcc/

3. Nike art gallery :
https://20somethingsteps.travel.blog/2019/12/18/everything-art-about-our-visit-to-the-nike-art-gallery/

4. Johnson Jakande Tinubu (JJT) Park, Ikeja:
https://20somethingsteps.travel.blog/2019/12/24/a-visit-to-johnson-jakande-tinubu-jjt-recreational-park/

5 Freedom Park (formerly Her Majesty's Broad Street Prison) :
https://20somethingsteps.travel.blog/2019/12/09/prison-to-park-a-solo-trip-to-freedom-park-formerly-her-majestys-broad-street-prison/

And follow us on
IG: @20somethingsteps

and visit our blog: https://20somethingsteps.travel.blog/ to read other about other trips follow up on future ones.

Ciao

Credits:

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/08/03/an-island-in-need-of-attention/?amp

https://www.tribuneonlineng.com/7233/

https://www.nairaland.com/3050199/tomaro-onisiwo-lagos-community-where-cars

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Hiking Experience In Snake Island by subtlemee(f): 1:50am On Jun 21, 2019
I'm disappointed...I was hoping to see pictures of different species of snake

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Hiking Experience In Snake Island by mighty5050(m): 1:54am On Jun 21, 2019
Snake island with no single snake inside. Is that one snake island.

Meanwhile check this out factory unlocked Phone 7plus for sale
https://www.nairaland.com/5254395/factory-unlocked-iphone-7plus-sale

4 Likes

Re: A Hiking Experience In Snake Island by RapportNaija(m): 2:33am On Jun 21, 2019
Cool.
Re: A Hiking Experience In Snake Island by ekkywolex(m): 5:49am On Jun 21, 2019
Nice �
Re: A Hiking Experience In Snake Island by Hadampson(m): 7:21am On Jun 21, 2019
E don land oh grin

Iamboladee
Subomi007
KendrickAyomide
HeWrites

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Hiking Experience In Snake Island by HeWrites(m): 7:24am On Jun 21, 2019
Hadampson:
E don land oh grin

Iamboladee
Subomi007
KendrickAyomide
HeWrites

grin grin

Thanks bro kiss

No homo cheesy

2 Likes

Re: A Hiking Experience In Snake Island by chapmanapr: 7:32am On Jun 21, 2019
Very nice cool
Re: A Hiking Experience In Snake Island by KendrickAyomide: 7:46am On Jun 21, 2019
nonye6194:
Dear lalasticlala, it's a shame I walked throng the valley and shadow of the Snake island without finding your most prized pet.

Not even a monitor lizard cry.

I had to make some reparation by writing your name on the beach and draw the most popular Nairaland celebrity on it grin. Hopefully, you would accept my sacrifice of contrition sir.

Thank you smiley
hahahaha. Lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: A Hiking Experience In Snake Island by Mizwisdom(f): 8:17am On Jun 21, 2019
Doing things like this makes one live longer smiley

27 Likes

Re: A Hiking Experience In Snake Island by Barryseal: 8:22am On Jun 21, 2019
I love adventure trips like this. Nice one Op

22 Likes

Re: A Hiking Experience In Snake Island by jaymichael(m): 8:45am On Jun 21, 2019
nonye6194:
I had been looking for an opportunity to visit the beach with no particular one in mind. Fortunately, I was contacted on my last post about a trip to the Lekki Conservation Center ( http://20somethingsteps.com.ng/2019/06/20/the-lekki-conservation-center-a-visit-to-nature/ ) to come for a hiking experience from Apapa, through the Snake Island to the Tarkwa Bay Beach. I agreed and made plans to attend.

So on the morning of the trip, I made it to the Apapa Sea School which was our Converging/take off point to the island. A few hours later, others arrived and soon afterwards, we ready to leave. After a headcount and other formalities, everyone strapped on their safety jackets, boarded the boat and we out set sailing to the Snake island.
That's my Island (TOMARO) I live there. That Church is also my church (New Creature Evangelical Church). The village you disembarked from is itu-agan not Snake Island. Snake Island is Igbologun , though it is close by. I used to do that Tarkwabay hiking those days but I have been so busy with work these days to engage in my favorite pastime. I don't think I can trade the life here for the boisterous Lagos city. I am investing over 300k on solar power installation soon to take care of the light issue.

60 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Hiking Experience In Snake Island by Hadampson(m): 9:22am On Jun 21, 2019
HeWrites:

grin grin

Thanks bro kiss

No homo cheesy

You welcome bro

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Hiking Experience In Snake Island by nonye6194: 9:25am On Jun 21, 2019
jaymichael:
That's my Island (TOMARO) I live there. That Church is also my church (New Creature Evangelical Church). The village you disembarked from is itu-agan not Snake Island. Snake Island is Igbologun , though it is close by. I used to do that Tarkwabay hiking those days but I have been so busy with work these days to engage in my favorite pastime. I don't think I can trade the life here for the boisterous Lagos city. I am investing over 300k on solar power installation soon to take care of the light issue.

Thank you.

About your investment idea, that's a brilliant one. Actually I submitted a proposal for installation of 0.6MW wind turbine to power same Tomaro Island as part of my final dissertation to the BPMA. Off grid electricity is the best solution for such place. My choice of wind energy is due to the wind speed of the area, mostly influenced by the water surrounding the island.

I've been to the island many times after my hike and I still go there whenever I want some time off from Lagos and her stress.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Hiking Experience In Snake Island by hakeemhakeem(m): 9:48am On Jun 21, 2019
jaymichael:
you nail it igbologun my first visit was 1995 with man o war guys for recruitment omo we were drilled like no tomorrow I like the island

6 Likes

Re: A Hiking Experience In Snake Island by jaymichael(m): 9:52am On Jun 21, 2019
nonye6194:

Thank you.

About your investment idea, that's a brilliant one. Actually I submitted a proposal for installation of 0.6MW wind turbine to power same Tomaro Island as part of my final dissertation to the BPMA. Off grid electricity is the best solution for such place. My choice of wind energy is due to the wind speed of the area, mostly influenced by the water surrounding the island.
https://www.nairaland.com/3050199/tomaro-onisiwo-lagos-community-where-cars/5#44884189

I've been to the island many times after my hike and I still go there whenever I want some time off from Lagos and her stress.
Let me tell you the truth, Government isn't interested in any huge capital investment on that Island as regards power. Though the current king is an enlightened man and plan is underway to connect the island to the national grid. Some other Islands like Igbologun (Snake Island) Ibasa etc are connected to the national grid. You see these villagers, they won't even pay light bills when they finally get the light.

15 Likes

Re: A Hiking Experience In Snake Island by Timmypromise(m): 1:28pm On Jun 21, 2019
I thought it was Brazil snake island
Nice one op

3 Likes

Re: A Hiking Experience In Snake Island by nonye6194: 8:34am On Jun 25, 2019
Oga Lalasticlala good morning, hope the baby and madam are alright. See front page material smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

JSS3 Student Crushed To Death By Tanker In Enugu (Graphic Pics) / Water Tanker Crushes Tricycle, Kills One, Injures Others In Anambra (Graphic) / Why Applicants Are Denied US Visas – Consul-general

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.