Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,119 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:19 AM

How To Make Money Coding Without A Job - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How To Make Money Coding Without A Job (1795 Views)

CODELAGOS: 337 Schools To Participate In Coding Competition / Learn Coding For Free, With Microverse, Pay The Tuition When You Start Earning. / Do We Have Coding Bootcamps In Nigeria? / Faster Way To Learn Web Development. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Make Money Coding Without A Job by Angelawhite(m): 4:06pm On Dec 21, 2020
A job is not easy to come by - especially in this pandemic period. But there are other ways you can make tonnes of money without needing to get a job. You can even make more money than an average full time coding job. In this post, I will be sharing with you several ways you can make money as a programmer. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

1. Freelancing:
This is of course the most common ways programmers make money online. You can make money by showcasing and selling your skills online. You do not necessarily have to be a pro programmer to be able to make an income online. Why skills is very important, ability to market yourself and separate yourself from the lot will get you noticed.

It is also possible to outsource a project to a more experienced programmer. This has become a norm in freelancing where a freelancer is awarded a project but decides to contract it out to another freelancer. This may be because of insufficient skills to meet the project requirements or unavailability of time to take on the project.

You can promote your freelancing skills by sharing your links with your friends, family and on social media. Examples of popular freelancing sites you can join is fiverr.com, freelancer.com among others.

2. Tutoring:
You make money sharing your knowledge with other people. This can be in form online coaching classes, one-on-one training, mentorship, etc. Find a skill you are good at and identify people or a group of people who might need the skill and fill in the needs. YouTube is a good place to start creating the online presence. Sharing video tutorials, getting subscribers can potentially land you your first students. As more and more people view and like your posts, there is a high chance that you will find some of them popping in your inbox and requesting for one lesson or another.

3. Blogging:
You can also make money writing about things you are passionate about. This might be inform of writing reviews on products and technologies, solving some popular problems, writing posts on latest technology trends, solving coding interview challenges, etc. As you write more and more interesting posts, people will start to engage with your posts and share your contents and your audience will start to grow. You can make money blogging by monetizing your traffic by signing up with some ad programs and hosting sponsored contents.

Blogging is also a good way to market yourself. Your blog can tell a lot about you - your interests and skills. You can potentially get business propositions from your blog readers.

4. Identifying local problems:
This is one of the most untapped sources of income for programmers. Identifying a unique problem of an industry can potentially land you a huge project. You can walk into a supermarket and identify problems you can solve and propose it to the owner. This might be building a company website, online store or an inventory application. The fact is that every business has a challenge that can be solved technologically. If you can identify the technological needs of local businesses around you, you might just be on your way to a life changing opportunity.

5. Selling Online Courses:
You can generate income by developing an online course. In fact, this is one of the most common ways developers earn money online. You can identify an area of technology you are good at and write a comprehensive course on a subject matter. Selling online courses is a fantastic way to earn money, learn and improve on your skills and impact lives. It is a win-win situation for everyone involved; you earn money by teaching others and you also grow your programming skills.

Some platforms where you can sell your courses are Teachable, Udemy, Coursera, etc.

6. Create a product:
With your programming skills, you automatically become a businessman. A lot of the popular big software companies started very small. They most probably had an idea which they developed into a product that people have come to love. I have to be honest, coming up with a viable idea is very difficult. Talking to your friends and seeking ideas from them can prove useful in coming up with profitable ideas. Creating your own products can be challenging but of course rewarding. I found this article on creating your own software product useful.

That it guys! Let us know in the comment if I you have any idea we can add to the list

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Money Coding Without A Job by Angelawhite(m): 4:10pm On Dec 21, 2020
Kindly follow my blog for more tips like this: http://www.tetula.com

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Money Coding Without A Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:01pm On Dec 21, 2020
Always the same bullshit on all articles. Why does everyone avoids the path of creating themes and plugins for marketplaces as a way of earning money. Imagine making one theme and making over one million USD in sales. Enter envato and see. What of apps and plugins? L
Re: How To Make Money Coding Without A Job by etoluw: 6:04pm On Dec 21, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
Always the same bullshit on all articles. Why does everyone avoids the path of creating themes and plugins for marketplaces as a way of earning money. Imagine making one theme and making over one million USD in sales. Enter envato and see. What of apps and plugins? L

creating themes and plugins is not easy
it is only experienced web developers that can do that
Re: How To Make Money Coding Without A Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:24pm On Dec 21, 2020
etoluw:

creating themes and plugins is not easy
it is only experienced web developers that can do that
Lies from the pit of hell. Even if you know just html CSS and JavaScript you can build and sell HTML templates. There's hardly any Nigerians out there in the things that are giving money in tech.
Re: How To Make Money Coding Without A Job by Angelawhite(m): 8:22pm On Dec 21, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

A theme is one of many products you can create. Product creation is on the list above.
Re: How To Make Money Coding Without A Job by jesmond3945: 8:54pm On Dec 21, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
have you sold on envato?
Re: How To Make Money Coding Without A Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:59pm On Dec 21, 2020
jesmond3945:
have you sold on envato?
Not yet. I was making to sell and someone saw what I was making and gave me a job. Soon enough I will.

1 Like

Re: How To Make Money Coding Without A Job by jesmond3945: 9:01pm On Dec 21, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Not yet. I was making to sell and someone saw what I was making and gave me a job. Soon enough I will.
that's good brother
Re: How To Make Money Coding Without A Job by Nobody: 11:55am On Dec 22, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Omo, Nairaland dey work for you in term of putting your self out there. Nice one

Building themes and plugins is not a easy jobs, plus it must be relevant and yours should d best to be successful in that category

1 Like

Re: How To Make Money Coding Without A Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:05pm On Dec 22, 2020
dataslid:

Omo, Nairaland dey work for you in term of putting your self out there. Nice one

Building themes and plugins is not a easy jobs, plus it must be relevant and yours should d best to be successful in that category
Nairaland ke. Nairaland is a local place. I got this job from Reddit when I posted up my WordPress theme I made with React. It must not be the best bros. Enter envato and see very basic themes making their owners money when I mean basic I mean basic.

1 Like

Re: How To Make Money Coding Without A Job by Nobody: 1:24pm On Dec 22, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Nairaland ke. Nairaland is a local place. I got this job from Reddit when I posted up my WordPress theme I made with React. It must not be the best bros. Enter envato and see very basic themes making their owners money when I mean basic I mean basic.
I am inspired by your words sometimes. To learn WordPress theme and plugin development, is it HTML, CSS, JavaScript I should learn or php? I want to know the specific program to learn. I have started learning HTML last week after reading some of your submissions and I am really catching up.
Re: How To Make Money Coding Without A Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:55pm On Dec 22, 2020
ClixMaster:
I am inspired by your words sometimes. To learn WordPress theme and plugin development, is it HTML, CSS, JavaScript I should learn or php? I want to know the specific program to learn. I have started learning HTML last week after reading some of your submissions and I am really catching up.
Read through some of my posts. You would get what you want.
Re: How To Make Money Coding Without A Job by BlueBanana: 3:13pm On Dec 23, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Link to the theme pls
Re: How To Make Money Coding Without A Job by Johnwick64: 1:25pm On Dec 24, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Lies from the pit of hell. Even if you know just html CSS and JavaScript you can build and sell HTML templates. There's hardly any Nigerians out there in the things that are giving money in tech.
someone said it's not easy,I love challenges.. please what do I need to get started

(1) (Reply)

2nd Batch of Project-driven Fullstack Developer Training With N5000 Installment! / How Much Do Progrommers Get Paid In Lagos On Average / Where To Learn Cyber Security And Coding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.