Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,243 members, 7,829,443 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:04 AM

World's Earliest Python That Lived In Europe 47 Million Years Ago Unearthed (Pix - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / World's Earliest Python That Lived In Europe 47 Million Years Ago Unearthed (Pix (44850 Views)

Inside Unhatched Egg Of Dinosaur That Lived In Argentina 80 Million Yrs Ago (Pix / Giant Fish That Lived Around 380 Million Years Ago Found In Sahara Desert (Pix) / Africa’s Sahara ‘Most Dangerous Place On Earth’ 100 Million Years Ago (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: World's Earliest Python That Lived In Europe 47 Million Years Ago Unearthed (Pix by Aremu01(m): 7:46am On Dec 22, 2020
Lol.
Re: World's Earliest Python That Lived In Europe 47 Million Years Ago Unearthed (Pix by Pelecius: 10:02am On Dec 22, 2020
etrange:

I don't think the statement "relative dating is what is used to assign dates to fossils anyway" is entirely accurate. Both are used. A lot of legacy fossils date records have relative dates (in other words, majority of the dates were calculated using the relative dating technique) but this is as a result of the fact that the technique predates absolute dating. Radiometric dating is presently the most common choice of fossil dating method in the developed world except in cases where it's not an option.

I clearly acknowledged in my writeup you quoted that the dating techniques (all of them) have their limitations but radiometric dating is still the closest thing to perfection. I do have rather scientific responses to some of your questions though (especially about parent/daughter aka unstable/stable isotopes) but I wish not to prolong the chat. Just bear in mind that someone somewhere is always challenging whatever we know in science but until they come up with something concrete, we still use what we have.
Well, the reason I go with the relative dating is that it is easier and handy since the age assigned to geologic column is fixed instead of the expensive radiometric dating of the rock in which they are found. Now I don't mean that the rocks are not dated but it is a common experience among geologists that age according to local geology is mostly different to that gotten from radiometric dating. And this is because of the different issues which radiometric dating have, hence such dates are easily discarded.

Like I agreed, knowing decay rate and number of daughter atoms present, one can calculate the 'age' when a rock cooled but the reason why such ages are not taken serious by some (young earthers mostly) is that: different dating methods give different rates, the assumptions as stated before and the worst case is that rocks whose ages are known gave millions of years when dated. And as I stated before, there are other geochemical activities that shows decay rates may either be accelerated in the past or even point to lesser age but this is like challenging the ruling paradigm - such works don't eventually get published though other scientist write their form of rebuttals.
This is why I may not take the statement "radiometric dating is the closest thing to perfection" as 'perfect'.
For the last statement, the scientific community have a consensus and dissenters are persecuted severely (Galileo is a good example), so it may take a 'miracle' for them to accept a very good evidence that goes against the ruling paradigm as concrete. But what do I know sef

1 Like

Re: World's Earliest Python That Lived In Europe 47 Million Years Ago Unearthed (Pix by GreaterFuture(m): 10:33am On Dec 22, 2020
dynicks:
Lala!! BEHOLD THY ANCESTOR!!
Lol
Re: World's Earliest Python That Lived In Europe 47 Million Years Ago Unearthed (Pix by BlessedNuel: 10:39am On Dec 22, 2020
Nature is Blessed
Re: World's Earliest Python That Lived In Europe 47 Million Years Ago Unearthed (Pix by omoadeleye(m): 10:41am On Dec 22, 2020
emeijeh:
Who calculated the maths?

Computer
Re: World's Earliest Python That Lived In Europe 47 Million Years Ago Unearthed (Pix by Jacksparrow7(m): 10:43am On Dec 22, 2020
Nice one
Re: World's Earliest Python That Lived In Europe 47 Million Years Ago Unearthed (Pix by Nobody: 10:45am On Dec 22, 2020
donbachi:
Dont think they can unearth something like dis in nigeria..nigerians dey chop animals,chop their bones join.

Re: World's Earliest Python That Lived In Europe 47 Million Years Ago Unearthed (Pix by gurunlocker: 10:46am On Dec 22, 2020
I guess these people just call YEARS anyhow....

Jesus don leave this world for 2000 years plus, e be like forever, not to talk of 47 million years.

1 Like

Re: World's Earliest Python That Lived In Europe 47 Million Years Ago Unearthed (Pix by DollarBuddy: 10:46am On Dec 22, 2020
Who else thinks COVID-19 May have been brought upon this world through all those their discoveries?

Scientists nogo just allow sleeping dogs lie, na so so trouble them go dey find.

Nature cannot be fully explored o. Make those people no wipe out all humanity with one single ancient key wey dem go open one day o. I don talk my own finish.

1 Like

Re: World's Earliest Python That Lived In Europe 47 Million Years Ago Unearthed (Pix by KBdownloads(m): 10:47am On Dec 22, 2020
I know some Christians would have expected the snake fossil to have legs grin grin grin
Re: World's Earliest Python That Lived In Europe 47 Million Years Ago Unearthed (Pix by Omezif(m): 10:47am On Dec 22, 2020
Imagine me to believe them Even if they had say 72 Years ago.
Re: World's Earliest Python That Lived In Europe 47 Million Years Ago Unearthed (Pix by pegix(m): 10:47am On Dec 22, 2020
emeijeh:
Who calculated the maths?
Re: World's Earliest Python That Lived In Europe 47 Million Years Ago Unearthed (Pix by GMBuhari: 10:51am On Dec 22, 2020
You mean archaeologists should loose their jobs ?

As if dem go hear
rottennaija:
They should just don't unearth pathogens that killed the world once.

1 Like

Re: World's Earliest Python That Lived In Europe 47 Million Years Ago Unearthed (Pix by kingxsamz(m): 10:54am On Dec 22, 2020
GidiCars:
These things defy logic and makes no sense, nothing can come of nothing. Anything designed that has a system and works, certainly have a brain behind it. It didn't come about randomly. Before you castigate me, whatever you think you know from what you read on the topic, I know it, not like you carried out any research or findings yourself nor can these things be replicated. That's one of the reason stuff like this are termed Pseudo-science.

Atheists usually think they're smarter than creationist, but they are just different sides of the same coin. You both got your knowledge from reading a book even though you can't demonstrate or show proof. Christians/Muslims have historical sites that they claim as proof and many other stuff. The findings these people claim to find around are just another part of the hole.

https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-examples-of-contradictions-in-science?share=1

Lol...
This one makes more sense.
And is definitely not stupid.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: World's Earliest Python That Lived In Europe 47 Million Years Ago Unearthed (Pix by JOBgame(m): 10:54am On Dec 22, 2020
thank god it 47 not 470,000,000 million years
Re: World's Earliest Python That Lived In Europe 47 Million Years Ago Unearthed (Pix by Bahamas95(m): 10:56am On Dec 22, 2020
Honestly I am confused.

How old is this earth sef?

Re: World's Earliest Python That Lived In Europe 47 Million Years Ago Unearthed (Pix by Neoteny(m): 10:58am On Dec 22, 2020
Righteousness2:
So many Strange Discoveries in these Strange times.
Men and Brethren, I am not interested in these 48million and 60 million years Discoveries.

What I am Interested in is to announce to you that the Greatest Event of all times is upon us..

JESUS is Coming Folks..

Be Ready!
Live Ready!
Stay Ready!

It will be a Huge Mess to Miss Heaven..

Jesus is said to be coming since he was alive.

It's more than 2,000 years and he's still coming.

Even the aged and incapacitated Pachukwudi44 comes faster than jesus.
Re: World's Earliest Python That Lived In Europe 47 Million Years Ago Unearthed (Pix by pegix(m): 10:59am On Dec 22, 2020
KBdownloads:
I know some Christians would have expected the snake fossil to have legs grin grin grin
Maybe ur village Christians bro grin .../jokin/
Im a christian i knw snake is snake
Hence today's pyton must look like yesterday's (provided evolution remains unchanged)

D serpent we talkd abt in d bible isnt LITERALLY "snake"
Serpent is d bible word to define satan or it's presence or some possessive demons. ..okay!

1 Like

Re: World's Earliest Python That Lived In Europe 47 Million Years Ago Unearthed (Pix by fuckaholic25(f): 11:01am On Dec 22, 2020
who else noticed that in that second picture, it seems as if a guy is fuccking?
Re: World's Earliest Python That Lived In Europe 47 Million Years Ago Unearthed (Pix by sharpwriter(m): 11:01am On Dec 22, 2020
DollarBuddy:
Who else thinks COVID-19 May have been brought upon this world through all those their discoveries?

Scientists nogo just allow sleep dogs lie, na so so trouble them go dey find.

Nature cannot be fully explored o. Make those people no wipe out all humanity with one single ancient key wey dem go open one day o. I don talk my own finish.

Who knows whether you dey talk.... Lol cheesy
Re: World's Earliest Python That Lived In Europe 47 Million Years Ago Unearthed (Pix by golddust6000(m): 11:02am On Dec 22, 2020
This is a big fat lie, python don’t live in a cold climate. The snake that live there are very very tiny snake which is very rare to see.

1 Like

Re: World's Earliest Python That Lived In Europe 47 Million Years Ago Unearthed (Pix by LastProphet: 11:05am On Dec 22, 2020
etrange:

Were you an art student? No offense really but while some dating techniques might be questionable, the question "who did the maths?" suggests you don't even know about the existence of these techniques. To answer your question, modern science uses radiometric dating techniques and this involves measuring the decay of isotopes in the fossil. It's called absolute dating cause isotopes break down at a constant rate over time through radioactive decay. Since rate is constant, the ratio of the amount of original isotope (parent) to the amount of the new isotope (child) can be used to calculate the 'absolute' age of the fossil.

These fossils can also be dated using relative dating techniques (not sure anyone does that these days) and carbon dating (generally not suitable for dating fossils).

Don't bother over explaining, widespread poor education is the cause otherwise why would anyone even misunderstand this? Most Nigerians believe the account of pastors about our past over scientific evidence, to the guy you correcting the earth was made in 6 days of only 24 hours each and that humans are not more than 3000 years old

3 Likes

Re: World's Earliest Python That Lived In Europe 47 Million Years Ago Unearthed (Pix by Grandmeister(m): 11:06am On Dec 22, 2020
etrange:

Were you an art student? No offense really but while some dating techniques might be questionable, the question "who did the maths?" suggests you don't even know about the existence of these techniques. To answer your question, modern science uses radiometric dating techniques and this involves measuring the decay of isotopes in the fossil. It's called absolute dating cause isotopes break down at a constant rate over time through radioactive decay. Since rate is constant, the ratio of the amount of original isotope (parent) to the amount of the new isotope (child) can be used to calculate the 'absolute' age of the fossil.

These fossils can also be dated using relative dating techniques (not sure anyone does that these days) and carbon dating (generally not suitable for dating fossils).
I like the fact that you agreed like many other followers of science that carbon dating is hugely flawed in dating fossils, unlike the pseudoscience carbon dating crooners here on nairaland that shout the word like some magic spell they learnt recently. It was found out that carbon dating beyond 15 to 20,000 years is completely unreliable. The measuring of isotopic decays for fossils also has its inherent argument but that’s for another topic.
Re: World's Earliest Python That Lived In Europe 47 Million Years Ago Unearthed (Pix by Grandmeister(m): 11:08am On Dec 22, 2020
Pelecius:

Relative dating is what is normally used for assigning dates to fossils anyway. Comparing the 'rock' in which they are found with the local geologic column.

For the first paragraph, the methods stated are actually correct but problems being raised is the assumptions behind such methods which many don't know.
1. The rate been constant throughout? (There are evidence for it not being constant)
2. It a closed system? (There are evidence that does not support this also)
3. The initial amount of parent and daughter isotopes known? (There are evidence that challenge this assumptions also)

But getting these to the general public is an issue. The age of the earth is taken as FACT and proving otherwise with sound evidence would bring persecution for you; "publish or perish"
I didn’t even see this post before my first comment here. Another follower of science that reads beyond stated ‘fact’. I wanted to say this but it will degenerate into another topic altogether.

1 Like

Re: World's Earliest Python That Lived In Europe 47 Million Years Ago Unearthed (Pix by obonujoker(m): 11:09am On Dec 22, 2020
47 million years ago... Lol.... How did these pythons survive in water?
Re: World's Earliest Python That Lived In Europe 47 Million Years Ago Unearthed (Pix by obonujoker(m): 11:11am On Dec 22, 2020
Stewart883:
If all of you here believe the earth is just 6000 years old, all of you are big fools!!!

No one said the Earth is 6000 years old... What's your p??
Re: World's Earliest Python That Lived In Europe 47 Million Years Ago Unearthed (Pix by Grandmeister(m): 11:12am On Dec 22, 2020
pegix:

Archaeologist bro
Radio-Carbon dating is more than 95% effective in determine past events like dix...with minimal approximation
Nawao! See how you made a false comment with so much assurance. Carbon dating isn’t even close to being accurate by a loooongg shot. Anything older than 15,000 years can’t be accurately dated by carbon dating.

2 Likes

Re: World's Earliest Python That Lived In Europe 47 Million Years Ago Unearthed (Pix by davien(m): 11:14am On Dec 22, 2020
Even without radiometric dating it is not rocket science that the layers or strata of earth form over themselves and counting the rate of column formation gives you the date the creature lived in.
So a column that forms at 1cm/yr counted over would still give you the same or close enough result.

Geologists have known for centuries that stratas of the earth form in millions of years, else we'd be shoveling dirt out of our houses every year.
Re: World's Earliest Python That Lived In Europe 47 Million Years Ago Unearthed (Pix by tollyboy5(m): 11:15am On Dec 22, 2020
Grandmeister:

I like the fact that you agreed like many other followers of science that carbon dating is hugely flawed in dating fossils, unlike the pseudoscience carbon dating crooners here on nairaland that shout the word like some magic spell they learnt recently. It was found out that carbon dating beyond 15 to 20,000 years is completely unreliable. The measuring of isotopic decays for fossils also has its inherent argument but that’s for another topic.
When I learnt radioactive dating it was carbon dating that was onpoint, being not accurate doesn't mean wrong actually.
Event dating back to million of years . carbon dating might not be accurate but give an idea of how far stuff could have been. Now that there are more accurate ways of mensuration we subscribe to that, and science continue to grow man.
Re: World's Earliest Python That Lived In Europe 47 Million Years Ago Unearthed (Pix by ehinmowo: 11:17am On Dec 22, 2020
GidiCars:
These things defy logic and makes no sense, nothing can come of nothing. Anything designed that has a system and works, certainly have a brain behind it. It didn't come about randomly. Before you castigate me, whatever you think you know from what you read on the topic, I know it, not like you carried out any research or findings yourself nor can these things be replicated. That's one of the reason stuff like this are termed Pseudo-science.

Atheists usually think they're smarter than creationist, but they are just different sides of the same coin. You both got your knowledge from reading a book even though you can't demonstrate or show proof. Christians/Muslims have historical sites that they claim as proof and many other stuff. The findings these people claim to find around are just another part of the hole.

https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-examples-of-contradictions-in-science?share=1

See just leave religion and science. because your own logic is even flawed. Is there anything you know in religion that you were not told?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Man Builds Toilet That Generates Gas For Cooking & Electricity / Solar Eclipse In Abuja. Students Catching A Glimpse Of The Annular Eclipse / Nso Ephesian's Wooden Food Flask In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.