Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,474 members, 7,819,723 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:45 PM

Governor Ohakim Promises Further Reduction Of School Fees - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governor Ohakim Promises Further Reduction Of School Fees (730 Views)

Buhari Bows To Outrage, Orders Reduction Of Presidency’s N19bn Budget. / Photos From Adanma Ohakim's Wedding Today In Abuja / Governor Ohakim And Education In Imo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Governor Ohakim Promises Further Reduction Of School Fees by arinzeeze: 1:45pm On Mar 28, 2011
GOVERNOR OHAKIM PROMISES FURTHER REDUCTION OF SCHOOL FEES

The visitor of Evan Enwerem University (EEU) and the performing Governor of Imo state, Chief Dr. Ikedi Ohakim has promised imo stars that his administration is committed to the well-being of the citizenry and would do anything within its reach to ensure that education in the state is taken to the next level.
The governor stated this while responding to the solidarity message of the student union government of EEU during the solidarity rally in support of the solidarity rally in support of the governor’s re-election last week.

The youthful governor of imo state, Chief Dr. Ikedi Ohakim said that his administration has articulated a perfect plan to ensure the relocation of the university to her permanent site, where state of the art of learning and teaching facilities would be provided, with model hostel accommodations.

In his words, Governor Ohakim said “I think you for this show of solidarity I have already declared state of emergency in the education sector. Soon very soon, I will work out modalities to further improve the university funding so that your school fees would be substantially reduced. I shall reduce your school fees and ensure adequate warfare package for all of you, you are my children “I will do more for you”.

Governor Ohakim asserted that his administration has placed the university under special intervention programme, because according to him, since education is the highest industry in imo state, the government has no option than to ensure that the education is given its place of pride in the scheme of things.

Re: Governor Ohakim Promises Further Reduction Of School Fees by Areosapien(f): 2:11pm On Mar 28, 2011
Sunday, 06 February 2011 00:24

[center]Election Heat: Ohakim Dumps Deputy, Picks New Running Mate[/center]

As part of strategic plans to renew his mandate in the April governorship election in Imo State, Governor Ikedi Ohakim last week unveiled a new running mate for his re-election bid. Governor Ikedi Ohakim had sometime in December informed the Deputy Governor, Lady Ada Okwuonu that due to political exigencies, she would have to give way for another Deputy Governor who would be a Christian of the Catholic denomination to improve the governor’s re-election chances in the April, 2011 governorship polls in the state.
Okwuonu sought the help of Imo eminent personalities including the Catholic Archbishop of Owerri, to intervene, But Ohakim was said to have been extremely infuriated alleging insubordination and
consequently last month he ordered the deputy governor to “resign or be impeached within 24 hours.”
In an elaborate ceremony at the Grasshoppers International Stadium, Owerri, Ohakim announced Professor (Mrs) Viola Onwuliri, a Professor of Medical Biochemistry as his running mate for the polls. This laid to rest the speculations that had dogged the emergence of the new running mate and the alleged resignation of the incumbent Deputy Governor.
Presenting the new Deputy Governorship candidate, the former running mate and incumbent Deputy Governor, Dr. (Mrs) Ada Okwuonu described Onwuliri, who is also a lecturer and the wife of the Vice Chancellor of the Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO), Professor Celestine Onwuliri, as “a special brand for a special purpose.”
Commenting on the new development, an indigene of Imo State in Diaspora wondered “why would a Professor of Medical Biochemistry agree to play second fiddle to a 419ner? An incompetent governor? Why would a supposedly intelligent woman do this? I know she's not doing it to serve Ndi-Imo, far by a mile , so at what price did she agree to do this for Ohakim?”
Saying Ohakim is under heat is on from all quarters, he pointed out that the momentum is with APGA whose supporters have grown enthusiastically bold in Owerri.
But G. Ukaegbu told elombah.com: There is no need to read too much into the deputy governor switch by Ohakim. It is an attempt by a pragmatic politician to improve his re-election chances. In Egypt and Jordan, we see the same move by Mubarak and Abdullah as they jettisoned some members of their cabinets in an effort to win the graces of the people to enable them stay in power for one more day.
He continued: Guv Ohakim is an incompetent governor, but he plays by the book of Machiavelli with Obasanjo as his guardian. He seeks power as an end in itself, and governing to make things better is not his priority. In that sense, all who serve him are political garden tools to be discarded when Ohakim feels he has no need for them.
“The ex-deputy governor had opportunities to distinguish herself in service of the people of Imo State, but she thought that singing praises of Guv Ohakim was a better gamble. A few months ago she referred to Ohakim as God-sent. I bet she doesn’t think that anymore. Ohakim is not alone in this self-preservation-in-office mentality. All of them who see and handle public service as an enrichment venture will do the same thing that Ohakim has done.
“What remains to be seen, is what the people of Imo State will do about Ohakim’s time in Office. Will they reward him by reelecting him or will they try their luck with someone else. As far as Ohakim kicking out the people who serve him, we have to remember that they serve at his pleasure. People can say that such an action is not good, but governors like all chief executives constantly have to adjust personnel to ensure that they have the right team. The right team here is whatever the governor decides it is”.
Welcoming the new deputy governorship candidate, Ohakim warned that in spite of her towering academic credentials which include several degrees, over 20 international fellowships and scores of quality research papers in international journals, that the work she is about to embark upon is extremely tasking and its challenges, more demanding than anything she may have faced in the academic world.
The governor however assured her of the support of the government and people of the state.
Highlights of the ceremony also included the unveiling of 305 campaign buses for the 305 INEC wards in the state.

Commenting on this purchase of 305 Campaign Buses, Each billed at N15m or $100,000 which observers have condemned as simply another avenue to siphon money from the Imo state treasury, Emenike Nwankwo said:

"When Ohakim supposedly "won" in 2007, he did not even have one van. Now tell me what informed buying 305 buses? Imo State is just a one city State. He did not have money to repair schools , pay teachers, find jobs for youth that were duped for jobs, and he did not have money for even one working hospital in all of Imo State. In all of Imo State there is no working ambulatory service to rus sick people to a care facility. But Ohakim has money to buy 305 buses for political campaign. You can see his priorities. Will the buses vote for him? I hope they have hands to vote for him. I think all he did may have been to buy buses to heklp him pack up his loots and leave town. Buses will not cast vote for him.

"But everyone must keep there eyes open because he has to return all 305 buses to the state for useful engagment once he is ran out of town. This is Nigeria where politicians can just spend state money as they see fit. You would wonder why there are no regulation on what can be spent for campaign and whose money can be used for such ventures. Is the state going to equally give 305 buses to all contesting parties or candidates? Is Prof Jega sleeping? Fair and free election is not about counting the ballots alone. It begins with access to finance to fairly compete in the process. One party can not be spending state money while others compete on shoe strings. The people of Imo must be asked to reject Ohakim and his wasteful exubarance. He did not spend such money to give jobs to the youths but is now able to squander it on vehicles to loot election ballots? I laughed when said he works with speed. I think he spends with speed rather, when it is PDP he is spending for".

http://www.elombah.com/index.php?Itemid=67&catid=1:latest-news&id=5201:election-heat-ohakim-dumps-deputy-picks-new-running-mate&option=com_content&view=article
Re: Governor Ohakim Promises Further Reduction Of School Fees by Areosapien(f): 2:12pm On Mar 28, 2011
There you have it. A criminal so desperate to win an election, he'd even stoop as low as shamelessly hawking around for religious sentiments. What a pity.
Re: Governor Ohakim Promises Further Reduction Of School Fees by arinzeeze: 5:05pm On Mar 29, 2011
@Areosapien, you are always coming up with baseless write up coined by you just to sell out your propaganda cheaply. you have now turned from a blackmailer to a prophet doom that can tell what we are to anticipate in the next administration. Be careful and stop all this unmerited art.
Re: Governor Ohakim Promises Further Reduction Of School Fees by Bawss1(m): 8:48am On Mar 30, 2011
@ Arinzeeze If there is any talk of propaganda then the article you posted is the first culprit. All these last minute acts in order to win votes will not help Ohakim. He had 4 years to at least start making an impact in that state but all people hear is propaganda.
Re: Governor Ohakim Promises Further Reduction Of School Fees by arinzeeze: 9:32am On Mar 30, 2011
@Bawss1, .this is no propaganda this is so real because i was present at the solidarity visit to the government house. the first two years of ohakim was spent in the law court by some angry fellows who felt that the were supposed to be the governor of this state. Not with standing at the peak of his court case he drove okada riders from owerri to bring back this state to its original plan set by mbakwe. tell me one thing that you don't really like about this administration.

(1) (Reply)

Inec Reschedules All Elections / The Nation - Heads Will Roll In Inec Soon, Jega Tells Recs / Nairalander And The Declaration Of Fake Results!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.