Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,500 members, 7,819,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

Reps To Legalise Use, Sale Of Cannabis In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps To Legalise Use, Sale Of Cannabis In Nigeria (30773 Views)

Marwa: Lawmakers Who Vote To Legalise Cannabis Won’t To Return To Constituencies / House Of Representatives To Legalise Indian Hemp Use For Economic Benefits / South-West Governors Move To Legalise Amotekun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reps To Legalise Use, Sale Of Cannabis In Nigeria by ijustdey: 7:32am On Dec 30, 2020
The House of Representatives has proposed a bill that will legalise the cultivation, sale and use of cannabis better known as marijuana or Indian hemp in Nigeria.

The bill, which has already been read the first time and was slated for second reading before the House proceeded on Christmas and New Year break is sponsored by Hon. Miriam Onuoha (APC, Imo).

Onuoha, who represents Isiala Mbano/ Onuimo/ Okigwe federal constituency of Imo State, is a firsttimer in the lower chamber after defeating her closest rival Obinna Onwubuariri of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the rerun election that was held in 18 polling units in the constituency in January this year.

It is titled “A bill for an act to decriminalise the growth and use of cannabis, to establish a system for the registration and licensing of cannabis growers, users and control, to legalise the growth, sale and use of cannabis and set out a legal framework for the registration and licensing of cannabis growers and producers in Nigeria; and for related matters.”

Although the bill was listed on the order paper on December 21, it could not be debated due to the absence of the sponsors on the floor of the House. New Telegraph investigation revealed that the proposed legislation will be considered when the House reconvene on January 26, 2021.

A synopsis of the bill obtained by New Telegraph shows that it is “to regulate the cultivation, possession, availability and trade in cannabis for medical and research purposes.”

The objectives of the bill include to: “Provide for a registration and licensing system for cannabis farmers and processors; establish a registration and licensing system for cannabis farmers and processors; regulate the cultivation, processing, availability and trade of cannabis for medical purposes and promote public awareness about the cultivation, processing, availability and trade of cannabis for medicinal and research purposes and its use in relation to medical or health purpose.”

The bill, however, prohibits issuance of cannabis licence for medical use if such a person is without a proof that “he is either a medical doctor and intends to use it for medical purposes or a pharmaceutical company who intends to use an amount of cannabis, which may be determined as required, in producing a medicine for the cure of a certain disease or an epidemic.” When this bill is passed, Nigeria will join the league of 30 other countries that have legalised the use of cannabis.

They include Argentina, Australia, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech, Denmark and Finland. Others are Germany, Greece, Israel, Netherlands, Norway, Peru, Italy, Poland, Jamaica, Lesotho, Romania and Dan Marino. The rest are Luxemburg, Switzerland, Macedonia, Tury, Malta, Mexico, Uruguay and Zimbabwe.

https://www.newtelegraphng.com/reps-move-to-legalise-use-sale-of-cannabis-in-nigeria/

35 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Reps To Legalise Use, Sale Of Cannabis In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:37am On Dec 30, 2020
abeg fast fast

weed is life

argue with your yansh

after all nah we and these reps dey smoke am together

262 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Reps To Legalise Use, Sale Of Cannabis In Nigeria by Racoon(m): 7:41am On Dec 30, 2020
Nigeria is already suffering from many ills aside political misgovernance(violent crimes, child molestation, domestic abuses, insurgency, prostitution etc) that are compounded by economic depression, worsening mental state, increasing frustration & resort to substance abuse (which also include drugs) and gun-running.

Even regulatory agencies like NAFDAC, NSCDC,Customs,
etc in our airports, rail stations, borders & within are finding it increasingly difficult to exert control let alone stem the tide of illicit drug abuse.So why cant the HOR part of NASS legislate on how to reduce cost of governance by;

-Severely cutting on their over-bloated pay or merging into a unicameral legislation,
-Reducing the numbers of govt MDAs with multiplicity of functions consuming the budget.
-Proscribing the death sentencing for convicted corruption either by "harikira", hanging, electrocution, or firing squad among many?

Instead they are rather wanting to be anti-people in compounding the woes on ground by choosing to legalize Marijuana of all things? This is an explosive disaster waiting.

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Reps To Legalise Use, Sale Of Cannabis In Nigeria by Charmingrascal(m): 7:43am On Dec 30, 2020
They should legalize it
We have to diversify our economy
We have to create jobs for entrepreneurs.

If weed is legalize I know how to make weed candy and snacks.

You don't necessarily have to smoke it, smoking is harmful.

Take weed candy and snacks you will still feel good and irie.

I will train many youths how to make safe weed candy free of charge, but now that weed is criminalized I can't even tell anyone that I know how to make those things talk more of train people.

158 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Reps To Legalise Use, Sale Of Cannabis In Nigeria by SlurUsername1: 7:57am On Dec 30, 2020
Some honourable members can always MOVE TO...
But will the said bill scale through?
Most unlikely
Re: Reps To Legalise Use, Sale Of Cannabis In Nigeria by akaahs(m): 7:58am On Dec 30, 2020
Wonderful, great move.

10 Likes

Re: Reps To Legalise Use, Sale Of Cannabis In Nigeria by mosdii(m): 8:32am On Dec 30, 2020
They should fasten the process with immediate alacrity.
MJ, AZ, SK, COLO all of them...

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps To Legalise Use, Sale Of Cannabis In Nigeria by haryorbarmie83(m): 8:36am On Dec 30, 2020
Welcome development. Make i dey smoke my Igbo inside my parlour.

22 Likes

Re: Reps To Legalise Use, Sale Of Cannabis In Nigeria by updatechange(m): 12:23pm On Dec 30, 2020
Kudos to the imolite that raised the bill, all those hypocritical mofo that gathered heads with nothing significant to show... Una well-done.
Since it's you guys (male folks) that smoke weed the most and still call it a criminal substance shows how dumb we're in thiis country.

A brave woman that knows the usefulness of weed winkand the cowards that smokes like an overheated car...
Hope this passes the second reading and not stopped.
Btw congrats to all the stoners. grin

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps To Legalise Use, Sale Of Cannabis In Nigeria by Zico5(m): 12:23pm On Dec 30, 2020
They want to legalise IGBO so that more useless individuals can litter our environment. They just want to make youths more unproductive so that they can continue to render them more useless. The man footing the bill must first introduce the Indian helm to his first born then we will know how productive this Indian helm is to the society. Very disgusting set of individuals calling themselves honourable.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps To Legalise Use, Sale Of Cannabis In Nigeria by asobo: 12:23pm On Dec 30, 2020
CBD oil on my mind shocked

8 Likes

Re: Reps To Legalise Use, Sale Of Cannabis In Nigeria by omojesu202(m): 12:24pm On Dec 30, 2020
hmnnn...
thank God say I don quit already...
they keep telling me weed is good that it's cigarette that do damages.
Before you know it weed has made me older than my age. I no want the temporary inspiration again, thank you.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps To Legalise Use, Sale Of Cannabis In Nigeria by whela(m): 12:24pm On Dec 30, 2020
Danger looming!

1 Like

Re: Reps To Legalise Use, Sale Of Cannabis In Nigeria by Legalcriminal: 12:24pm On Dec 30, 2020
This will be the best news this year for some people.
Anyway na Wealth Plant just suffering discrimination. Now boys can weed anywhere with no fear of NDLEA.

From all of us at Nairaland:
We say a big thanks to Hon. Miriam Onuoha he is a real nigga.

3 Likes

Re: Reps To Legalise Use, Sale Of Cannabis In Nigeria by RapistOnBail: 12:24pm On Dec 30, 2020
cool

Wonderful
Re: Reps To Legalise Use, Sale Of Cannabis In Nigeria by Badgers14: 12:24pm On Dec 30, 2020
I know a nairalander that will be happy..

Slowmirr

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps To Legalise Use, Sale Of Cannabis In Nigeria by paddyofboss(m): 12:25pm On Dec 30, 2020
Copy copy govt

1 Like

Re: Reps To Legalise Use, Sale Of Cannabis In Nigeria by FREEMADNESS: 12:25pm On Dec 30, 2020
what they should ve legalized decades ago.
the high time our government realise marijuana has come to stay the beta, as for me and my homies we gonna smoke till liver gets burnt. after all "something must kill a man"

Shey una no know say if una legalise marijuana d rate of addiction go reduce because by then the price go don increase from the normal 50-100 naira for a blunt.

SMOKERS ARE LIABLE TO DIE YOUNG -
IF YOU ARE A NIGERIAN YOU ARE ALSO LIABLE TO DIE YOUNG.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps To Legalise Use, Sale Of Cannabis In Nigeria by PoeticComb: 12:25pm On Dec 30, 2020
Re: Reps To Legalise Use, Sale Of Cannabis In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:25pm On Dec 30, 2020
Bad market for fraudulent NDLEA.

6 Likes

Re: Reps To Legalise Use, Sale Of Cannabis In Nigeria by rawtouch: 12:25pm On Dec 30, 2020
cool

about damn time
Re: Reps To Legalise Use, Sale Of Cannabis In Nigeria by free2ryhme: 12:25pm On Dec 30, 2020
Re: Reps To Legalise Use, Sale Of Cannabis In Nigeria by Bmaster(m): 12:26pm On Dec 30, 2020
Misplaced priority

Nonsense and reps lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Reps To Legalise Use, Sale Of Cannabis In Nigeria by bhella10: 12:26pm On Dec 30, 2020
Legalising MJ would be disastrous. Mj is a wonderful herb but it shouldn't be legalized.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reps To Legalise Use, Sale Of Cannabis In Nigeria by GIANTPLUSHUB: 12:26pm On Dec 30, 2020
Okay naaw
Re: Reps To Legalise Use, Sale Of Cannabis In Nigeria by PoeticComb: 12:26pm On Dec 30, 2020
This is a Billion Dollar Industry . We should harness it .

But first of all, damn nigggaar will be happy.

5 Likes

Re: Reps To Legalise Use, Sale Of Cannabis In Nigeria by Omobada(m): 12:26pm On Dec 30, 2020
Wonderbility
Re: Reps To Legalise Use, Sale Of Cannabis In Nigeria by kenzysmith: 12:26pm On Dec 30, 2020
Good move our children suppose to be taking it at least twice per day for healthy leaving
Re: Reps To Legalise Use, Sale Of Cannabis In Nigeria by hernandson(m): 12:26pm On Dec 30, 2020
na to they sell weed now ooo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps To Legalise Use, Sale Of Cannabis In Nigeria by EmekaBlue(m): 12:26pm On Dec 30, 2020
Asap plz

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

ISWAP Loses Two Commanders, 30 Fighters In Damaturu Attack - Military Sources / Female Suicide Bomber Killed At Army Barracks / 10 Reasons Why PDP May Win The Governorship Election In Ekiti State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.