Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,473 members, 7,812,465 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:51 PM

The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics (2552 Views)

Femi Otedola: I Joined The 1978 ”Ali Must Go” Protest / Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 / Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics by UmuEri(m): 2:51pm On Dec 31, 2020
The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978)

By Bianca Odumegwu Ojukwu

Indeed there was a country... and there was also the Biafra Football Club .

In the dying months of the breakaway Republic of Biafra, a group of idealistic young football lovers gathered together in Valls, Barcelona (Spain) to honour the heroic struggle of The Biafrans .
They created a symbolic pennant and founded the Biafra Football club in order to draw world attention to the plight of Biafra, using one of the most potent methods known to humanity...Football
. CF Biafra had about a hundred players from Reus to Pla, from Nulles to Tarragona they settled in El Vilar, within the federated amateur league and rode all the way to the Third Regional League.

Half a century later, the golden anniversary of the Biafra football club was celebrated. Though now extinct, Biafra , to those idealistic young men, was a mirror for their own struggles . In their perception, their own region of Catalunya ( Catalonia) was going through the same situation at the hands of the Spanish government as Biafra was experiencing, at the hands of the Nigerian government.

They found a common bond and affinity with the Biafra struggle through the formation of the Biafra football club in Valls. The club existed until 1978 when its activities were truncated by lack of economic resources.

An exhibition on the history of the Biafra Football Club was held at the Patio de Sant Roc in June 2007.
A delegation from CF Biafra in Barcelona led by Ramon Rovira & Oscar Gasso visited Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu in Enugu to present to him the official jersey and album of the history of CF Biafra.

When the Biafra Hero died, a delegation of CF Biafra also flew into Nigeria and participated fully in the funeral rites of Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu in 2012. When they were leaving, they took a stone from Biafra land which they merged onto the commemorative plaque, twinning the Land of the Rising Sun with Valls forever.

On December 29th 2020, This copper plaque was installed on the ground of the square where all the CF Biafra football players met in 1969. It was unveiled by the Mayor of Valls, Dolors Farre , the Administrator of Sports, Enric Garcia in the presence of regional municipal officers, politicians, surviving CF Biafra players and some members of the Igbo community .
To Ramon Rovira of FC Biafra; Biafra Friendship Club.....We, people of the Land of the Rising Sun salute and thank you for all you have been doing to preserve our collective legacy and our sacred memories . May your own shadow never grow dim.

We Remember!

Courtesy: BiafraMemories, Bruce Mayrock Memorial Project.
Bianca Odumegwu Ojukwu
31 Dec. 2020

7 Likes

Re: The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics by UmuEri(m): 2:53pm On Dec 31, 2020
Give us Biafra and we will give you a Brazil of Africa in 10years

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics by UmuEri(m): 2:54pm On Dec 31, 2020
More...

1 Like

Re: The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics by FanOfMyself: 2:54pm On Dec 31, 2020
All hail Biafra!!!
I'm proud of my heritage!!!

10 Likes

Re: The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics by UmuEri(m): 2:55pm On Dec 31, 2020
The world is waiting for Biafra

9 Likes

Re: The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics by BastardWike: 2:57pm On Dec 31, 2020
Wow, inspiring! Never knew about this.

1 Like

Re: The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics by UmuEri(m): 3:00pm On Dec 31, 2020
Nigeria is just scared of what Biafra shall become; in science, technology, sports, education, military etc

10 Likes

Re: The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics by Gazzy88(m): 3:11pm On Dec 31, 2020
UmuEri:
Nigeria is just scared of what Biafra shall become; in science, technology, sports, educative, military etc
Mango maybe you should ask why azikwe refused to include secession clause in our first constitution. Azikwe was the one scared, not Nigeria

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics by Karlovich: 3:15pm On Dec 31, 2020
embarassed Beautiful, I'm sure they were hammering Amala and Ewedu Albion FC on a daily basis.

2 Likes

Re: The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics by Nobody: 3:25pm On Dec 31, 2020
This really made me emotional. Inasmuch I want a better Nigeria, I can't imagine the Biafra spirit dying because irrespective of my wish, the BIAFRA SPIRIT is eternal and can never die.

Rip to my uncles and other great freedom fighters(I was told about) that died for this spirit. May their spirit live on and guide us aright.

2 Likes

Re: The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics by Kestolove(m): 3:26pm On Dec 31, 2020
Terrorist football club
Re: The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics by OfficialAPCNig: 3:31pm On Dec 31, 2020
Yoruba people oya come and wail

5 Likes

Re: The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics by wingmanIII: 3:32pm On Dec 31, 2020
Wow!!
Great piece of history,never heard of this before now.
God bless the team members. God bless Spain
Re: The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics by Paperwhite(m): 3:45pm On Dec 31, 2020
And some haters gathered but God didnt allowed them to succeed.What have become of them today? They thought they are conquering us but alas they were wrong. Armed insurrection is the order of the day with so much blood being spilled on their own land.
I bu ezigbo nwafor Igbo.Greatly proud of my heritage.God continue to bless the land of the rising sun and umu Chineke nile.

1 Like

Re: The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics by LukasPodolski: 3:48pm On Dec 31, 2020
OfficialAPCNig:
wail on top of what? Biafran football club?

ridiculous.
Re: The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics by Masterclass32: 3:59pm On Dec 31, 2020
Wowulicious wow! shocked
Re: The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics by Fvckhypocrite(f): 4:17pm On Dec 31, 2020
Playing football with they yam leg

1 Like

Re: The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics by ChangedMan1999(m): 4:34pm On Dec 31, 2020
OfficialAPCNig:

Bro, stop this nonsense.
Re: The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics by Starboytwo(m): 4:44pm On Dec 31, 2020
Biafra fc, I check Google Dem no exist

Me think you guys just bribed some Saturdays guys to wear that jersey for photoshoot?

FT. Nigeria 8 - 2 Biafra.
Re: The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics by pazienza(m): 5:40pm On Dec 31, 2020
You can't conquer an ideology.
Biafra is an Igbo ideology that will out live Nigeria and all Igbo haters.

Biafra my motherland, the land of my birth. I promise to serve you and fight for you as far as I draw breath and I promise to pass your torchlight to my descendants both born and unborn.

And so help me Chukwu Okike!

7 Likes

Re: The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics by Pochettino(f): 5:50pm On Dec 31, 2020
Fvckhypocrite [s:
post=97589114]Playing football with they yam leg[/s]

AFONJA mod wailer grin cheesy
Re: The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics by ONYEUTALI: 6:00pm On Dec 31, 2020
The 20th Century Biafra was the Third World's struggle against it's colonial masters. If Biafra had been a success, the Third World would've seen the light of progress.

Par contre, the 21st Century Biafra is Igbos' struggle against Nigeria. If this struggle becomes successful, Igbos might see the light - not the Third World. This might lead to many third world ethnic groups rising and revolting against their country. This will result to a total "things fall apart" in Africa in particular.

Igbos should be inclusive in their dream of Biafra so that a large number of the oppressed be liberated if their struggle becomes a success. The rest of Nigeria and Africa at large should equally see in Biafra the liberal dream of the oppressed instead of seeing it as the Igbos' struggle.
Re: The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics by Fvckhypocrite(f): 6:04pm On Dec 31, 2020
Pochettino:

AFONJA mod wailer grin cheesy
gosh see painment
Go and play with sand kiddo

1 Like

Re: The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics by Yujin(m): 6:06pm On Dec 31, 2020
Fvckhypocrite:
Playing football with they yam leg
Lol. Who cares about the comment of a fuc.kinghypocrite?
Yam legs are far better than sugarcane legs cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Long live Biafra

1 Like

Re: The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics by Yujin(m): 6:07pm On Dec 31, 2020
pazienza:

Biafra my motherland, the land of my birth. I promise to serve you and fight for you as far as I draw breath and I promise to pass your torchlight to my descendants both born and unborn.

Now you're talking! We move until the flag of the rising sun hovers freely in the Eastern skies.
Viva Biafra.
Re: The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics by Fvckhypocrite(f): 6:12pm On Dec 31, 2020
Yujin:
Lol. Who cares about the comment of a fuc.kinghypocrite? Yam legs are far better than sugarcane legs cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy Long live Biafra
osuamaka
Biafra or death
Re: The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics by Yujin(m): 6:13pm On Dec 31, 2020
A great piece of history which captures the beliefs of all right thinking people. Soon our football team will become the newest national team to clinch the AFCON cup. We wish those that will remain trapped inside Nigeria with those vampires good luck.
Re: The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics by Yujin(m): 6:15pm On Dec 31, 2020
Fvckhypocrite:
osuamaka

Biafra or death
Almajiri ajoka...hahahahahaha
Arewanistan or death

1 Like

Re: The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics by Fvckhypocrite(f): 6:21pm On Dec 31, 2020
Yujin:

Almajiri ajoka...hahahahahaha
Arewanistan or death
kapilta come and carry your yamiriflathead blodas from the yeast oo
Re: The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics by wiseone28: 6:23pm On Dec 31, 2020
Online country

Re: The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics by SlurUsername1: 6:24pm On Dec 31, 2020
Fvckhypocrite:
kapilta come and carry your yamiriflathead blodas from the yeast oo

Guy why calleth me to this thread?
Any ipob scapegoat here?
Re: The Story Of Biafra Football Club (1969- 1978) - Pics by SlurUsername1: 6:28pm On Dec 31, 2020
pazienza:

Oga u nor dey tire?
This chant wey your great grandfather chant sorry e kpai for war...
Your pman chant till e die, u still dey on am ?
Sorry for your Son na... LMFAO

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can You Do This With Nigerian Police? [picture] / List Of Foreign Individuals Detained & Extradited From Kenya. / Nnamdi Kanu Will Be Out Sooner Then Expected- Barrister Ifeanyi Ejiofor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.