Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,043 members, 7,835,515 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:11 AM

20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment (27347 Views)

48 Million Nigerians Still Defecate Openly – FG / 20 Million Nigerians Have Kidney Diseases - Nephrologists / Top 6 Causes Of Kidney Disease (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by apatheticme(f): 6:06pm On Jan 03, 2021
juwoonn:
20Million? Na lie.

Just visit the renal unit or dialysis center of any teaching hospital nearest to you and I'm sure you'll come back to modify this your post!!

1 Like

Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by grandlexuz(m): 7:07pm On Jan 03, 2021
Mummymahdi:

Yes sir am seeing a doctor , am on medication but sometimes things get out of hand financially,though I have BP but am not diabetic. I don't know about ACE I will ask if its something we can afford.

I find ur comment helpful. Thanks alot

I am sorry to hear of your financial constraints in getting your medications. If you are seeing a doctor then you might already be on an ACEI. Thankfully you not diabetic. A combination of both diabetes and hypertention often leads to CKD when not properly controlled.

The goal is for you to keep your BP as low as possible. Depending on your age and other parameters your doctor might set a goal of < 125/75. If you share the name of your medications I might give you a better insight on how each works and the benefits.
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by grandlexuz(m): 7:12pm On Jan 03, 2021
apatheticme:

Just visit the renal unit or dialysis center of any teaching hospital nearest to you and I'm sure you'll come back to modify this your post!!

Actually the 20 million is not the number of patients on dialysis but the number of people suffering from Chronic Kidney Diseases (CKD) which could basically mean people with abnormal persistent urinary protein (more than three months) and or a declining GFR. The US has about 40 million and India has 180 million.
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by grandlexuz(m): 7:22pm On Jan 03, 2021
Ezi1993:

ok dear...tnks a lot.

If you suspect you are having kidney issues because of vague symptom ask for a Urinalysis. A simple and cheap urine test should be able to tell you alot about your kidneys. The should be able to tell if you have an infection (bacteria), or if the filters of your kidneys are licking abnornal protein often a sign of kidney damage.

You could ask for a blood creatinine test which should tell you the rate at which your kidneys are filtering. Together with a BUN it is enough to tell your kidney health status.
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by grandlexuz(m): 7:26pm On Jan 03, 2021
martineverest:
pls,tell us what causes kidney failure

Seventy percent of CKD is caused by hypertension and diabetes. The things you listed are not public health concerns for CKD. Vague google searches are not a replacement for quality health education. Google only leads you to different websites some of them faulty and filled with substandard information.

I am sure if you google urine can cure HIV you will find plenty of sites with information supporting it. Like I already said whilst bleaching creams pose a serious health risk to the skin the are not in themselves a public health risk to the kidneys. Inhaling pesticides and paint frequently will damage your kidneys faster than bleaching creams.

Alcohol so long as you not drinking raw spirits is not much of a problem to the kidneys. Even CKD patients do safely drink alcohol in moderation. When it comes to the kidneys anything you take in excess will destroy it from alcohol to drugs to even food and water. Drink fifteen liters of water within thirty minutes and your kidneys will fail, take diclofenac at a slightly raised dose for a year and your GFR will fall, let your BP raise instantly to maximum high and the kidneys will fail etc.

Bottom line, bleaching creams are not a threat to the kidneys because very minimal of it get absorbed by the skin into the blood stream. Quantity absorbed not enough to damage the kidneys. Take it or leave it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by grandlexuz(m): 7:39pm On Jan 03, 2021
kayrichy:
ACE or ACE inhibitors?
This could be your first line therapy ..but researc Showed that they work better with loop diuretics(furosemide) and metolazone.

ACEI I meant, thanks. The benefits with a loop diuretic is case dependent. Unlike thiazide diuretics the combination of loop diuretics and an ACEI in elderly patients with CKD has the tendency for drug - drug toxicity and the potential for accumulation of other medications like lithium.

1 Like

Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by eyinjuege: 7:47pm On Jan 03, 2021
martineverest:
Oga, I'm my previous comments I didn't only mention creams as it's only cause,but also alcohol and drug abuse

some chemical contents like hydroquinone, mercury, steroid and high glutathione in bleaching creams causes kidney failure....Google is your friend

Gluthathione doesn't cause kidney failure. Please learn to Google appropriately
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by hernandson(m): 7:49pm On Jan 03, 2021
olagamalin:

How much is your Twitter account abeg
25k slightly negotiable
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by hernandson(m): 7:52pm On Jan 03, 2021
olagamalin:

How much is your Twitter account abeg
its 2naira per follower though
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by Ezi1993(f): 9:11pm On Jan 03, 2021
grandlexuz:

If you suspect you are having kidney issues because of vague symptom ask for a Urinalysis. A simple and cheap urine test should be able to tell you alot about your kidneys. The should be able to tell if you have an infection (bacteria), or if the filters of your kidneys are licking abnornal protein often a sign of kidney damage.

You could ask for a blood creatinine test which should tell you the rate at which your kidneys are filtering. Together with a BUN it is enough to tell your kidney health status.
Awww!! tnks a lot

But how is the simple and cheap urine test done??...is it done at home or at the hospital??

And is blood creatinine test done in an ordinary lab or in the hospital.
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by apatheticme(f): 6:14am On Jan 04, 2021
grandlexuz:

Actually the 20 million is not the number of patients on dialysis but the number of people suffering from Chronic Kidney Diseases (CKD) which could basically mean people with abnormal persistent urinary protein (more than three months) and or a declining GFR. The US has about 40 million and India has 180 million.

Of course 20Million can't be with ESRD and on dialysis/awaiting transplant, that'll be a disaster in a country with less than 5,000 dialysis machines!

Just tryna clear the air when he said it was a lie!

1 Like

Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by grandlexuz(m): 7:42am On Jan 04, 2021
Ezi1993:

Awww!! tnks a lot

But how is the simple and cheap urine test done??...is it done at home or at the hospital??

And is blood creatinine test done in an ordinary lab or in the hospital.

You are welcome. Don't fall for all this fake body scan outlets, the can't tell you a thing about the true state of your organs. It is all about impressing the layman.

Go to a hospital or a proper laboratory that takes your urine or blood sample. In Cameroon a Urianalysis will cost you between 600 to 1200 N depending on the hospital. Every lab and hospital runs a Dipstick Urianalysis.

A serum creatinine test will cost you 1800N in Cameroon. I don't know about Nigeria but a fairly equiped laboratory should be able to perform a creatinine test which gives a good measure of your Glomeruli Filtration Rate, a good marker of your kidney health. After your results incase you need a second opinion on the interpretation you could always contact me privately.

Mind you a pain on your side (flank pain) as you complained could mean anything and not specifically tied to kidney problem. Worst case scenario it could be a bladder or kidney infection that often presents with other vague symptoms. A Urianalysis will definitely tell you much. All the best.

1 Like

Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by grandlexuz(m): 7:43am On Jan 04, 2021
apatheticme:

Of course 20Million can't be with ESRD and on dialysis/awaiting transplant, that'll be a disaster in a country with less than 5,000 dialysis machines!

Just tryna clear the air when he said it was a lie!

True so.

1 Like

Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by Ezi1993(f): 9:51am On Jan 04, 2021
grandlexuz:

You are welcome. Don't fall for all this fake body scan outlets, the can't tell you a thing about the true state of your organs. It is all about impressing the layman.

Go to a hospital or a proper laboratory that takes your urine or blood sample. In Cameroon a Urianalysis will cost you between 600 to 1200 N depending on the hospital. Every lab and hospital runs a Dipstick Urianalysis.

A serum creatinine test will cost you 1800N in Cameroon. I don't know about Nigeria but a fairly equiped laboratory should be able to perform a creatinine test which gives a good measure of your Glomeruli Filtration Rate, a good marker of your kidney health. After your results incase you need a second opinion on the interpretation you could always contact me privately.

Mind you a pain on your side (flank pain) as you complained could mean anything and not specifically tied to kidney problem. Worst case scenario it could be a bladder or kidney infection that often presents with other vague symptoms. A Urianalysis will definitely tell you much. All the best.
Tnks a lot for your comprehensive explanation...
Am so grateful...

I'll be going for check up on Saturday cos of my job,,,and will keep you updated.
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by grandlexuz(m): 10:25am On Jan 04, 2021
Ezi1993:

Tnks a lot for your comprehensive explanation...
Am so grateful...

I'll be going for check up on Saturday cos of my job,,,and will keep you updated.

You are welcome. Do ask for a Dipstick Urinalysis and Serum Creatinine Test. Those two simple tests should tell much.

Do well to know your blood pressure numbers and fasting blood sugar levels at some point. Two common but extremely valuable parameters that could always make a difference.

You can always reach me out on whatsapp at +1 (812 ) 307 9728 for free valuable health advice. Dr. Ayuk
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by Ezi1993(f): 2:08pm On Jan 04, 2021
grandlexuz:

You are welcome. Do ask for a Dipstick Urinalysis and Serum Creatinine Test. Those two simple tests should tell much.

Do well to know your blood pressure numbers and fasting blood sugar levels at some point. Two common but extremely valuable parameters that could always make a difference.

You can always reach me out on whatsapp at +1 (812 ) 307 9728 for free valuable health advice. Dr. Ayuk
Ok sir tnks a lot,,,I really do appreciate.
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by Mummymahdi(f): 4:20pm On Jan 05, 2021
grandlexuz:

I am sorry to hear of your financial constraints in getting your medications. If you are seeing a doctor then you might already be on an ACEI. Thankfully you not diabetic. A combination of both diabetes and hypertention often leads to CKD when not properly controlled.

The goal is for you to keep your BP as low as possible. Depending on your age and other parameters your doctor might set a goal of < 125/75. If you share the name of your medications I might give you a better insight on how each works and the benefits.

Am just seeing this now , presently I have no any medicine , but i snap d packet of d one I have taken to show but my phn refused to upload d pic, i will still send it sha

Thanks sir
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by grandlexuz(m): 7:36pm On Jan 05, 2021
Mummymahdi:

Am just seeing this now , presently I have no any medicine , but i snap d packet of d one I have taken to show but my phn refused to upload d pic, i will still send it sha

Thanks sir

Okay do contact me on whatsapp +1 812 307 9728 with the names of your meds amd your medical situation and I will see how I can help to procure them for you
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by BennyDGreat: 1:51pm On Jan 08, 2021
Righteousness2:
This is one terrible thing to hit anyone. The Pains and discomfort is unquantifiable..

Miraculously! GOD Healed me. Infact HE gave New Brand Kidneys.
Perfect Healing..

Share your story pastor. Stirr up someone's faith
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by herbalsalaz: 10:03pm On Jan 21, 2021
eyinjuege:

What sort of bleaching creams are we talking about? People don't use mercury based ones anymore and even hydroquinone is still used safely by dermatologists.
Are you sure about your claims of bleaching creams or still using information from the 70s and 80s?
Alcohol, smoking, HYPERTENSION, DIABETES, genetics , obesity are the major risk factors I know
Why it's important certain lifestyle changes like exercise, healthy diet, stop smoking, reduce alcohol intake to reasonable amounts etc are important to prevent these risk factors.

An excerpt from the post on the common causes in Nigeria:

[/b]If you are looking at different age groups that have different cause, then, diabetes is the number three causes of kidney disease. In males, we have prostate enlargement or bladder outlet obstruction; this is another cause of chronic kidney disease.

We also have sickle cell disease. There is also a condition inherently from the family called polycystic kidney disease and also infections that causes chronic kidney disease like HIV infection. Chronic hepatitis B infection and Hepatitis C all cause chronic kidney disease. Another one coming up is chronic kidney disease of unknown causes,” he said.[b]

That's beautiful
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by DeBond01: 6:31pm On Aug 12, 2022
Pls any interested kidney buyer should inbox me at fair price
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by Excelneedful(f): 8:45pm On Aug 12, 2022
May God Help Us.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Is There Anyone Who Can Relate To Having These Conditions? / Revealed: 5 Easy Ways To Cut An Onions Without Crying…it Works Like Magic / Beware Of Heatstroke In This Period Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.