Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,097 members, 7,953,347 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:45 PM

Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle (3169 Views)

Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) / Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? / Nigerian Ghetto Names (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle by aminalib(f): 12:05am On Mar 30, 2011
what are your opinions on that? I know it is quite a stereotype that u would think of some black Americans being ghetto or living the lifestyle, but i have come across a few africans and it always surprises me. one of my friend's sister(Kenyan) live in Dallas and has 4 kids all by different fathers, is on drugs and lives in public assistance and just recently had her kids taken away from her, i am just always surprise to hear of fellow Africans like this.
Re: Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle by Nobody: 12:14am On Mar 30, 2011
Hmm, interesting.

Anyway, I don't think I've ever heard of nigerian peeps living like that. We too like efizy.

wherever I've been to, naija no dey carry last. grin
Re: Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle by 190: 12:14am On Mar 30, 2011
Reality101 is a living example

he wears ear rings like tosinville grin grin grin

where as reality is a proper Warri boy
Re: Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle by aminalib(f): 12:18am On Mar 30, 2011
2buff:

Hmm, interesting.

Anyway, I don't think I've ever heard of nigerian peeps living like that. We too like efizy.

wherever I've been to, naija no dey carry last. grin

Please yes there are nigerians doing that too,
Re: Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle by aminalib(f): 12:19am On Mar 30, 2011
190:

Reality101 is a living example

lol,
Re: Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle by Nobody: 1:02am On Mar 30, 2011
aminalib:

Please yes there are nigerians doing that too,

Exactly. People are ppl and things happen regardless of national origin.
Being 'African' is not going to protect someone from poverty or ignorance. I think the notion that there are
no African 'baby mamas' on welfare and are poor or African men who are not struggling in
the states or may be selling drugs/joining gangs is ridiculous ( I cannot tell you how many 'African bloods and crips'
I've seen lol). I know a few Africans who are an example of both and in fact a few my African friends
tend to gravitate towards that lifestyle whether they have to or not thinking it is the 'black way'.
Different ppl same mentality is all I can say.
Re: Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle by InkedNerd(f): 2:01am On Mar 30, 2011
OP: I'm not entirely sure what to make of it. I guess its sad. What you wrote reminds me of a guy I know here [Nigerian American] in New York. I no longer speak to this young man but when we were younger, [12, 13, 14 yrs old] we were friends. Anyway, this individual has three or four kids with three different women. . . But that isn't what bothers me about him. I could care less if he had kids with 10 different woman or one woman, what bothers me is that he has a very 'ghetto' mentality and doesn't do much for his kids. All he wants to do is live like Pdiddy, have sex, and party. There's nothin' wrong with having sex or wanting to let loose every once in a while but there is definitely something wrong with being a father and not taking responsibility for your children. He seems to like the whole 'hood' mentality/way of living. I think he even sells drugs on the side [not entirely sure]. Unfortunately, there are people of all walks of life who live like this. I once saw a Middle Eastern girl who had a bunch of kids and was super 'ghetto'/'hood'. I think the reason that some of use seem to be so put off by such people is because the whole 'ghetto'/'hood' lifestyle is seen as "un-African". We're all brought up to walk with our heads held high so for some of us to engage in a lifestyle that is seem as foul to many Africans, its a little disturbing. Even in poverty, many Nigerians [and other Africans] still try to carry themselves with some sort of dignity. Hmmmm, I think I may have worded that last sentence kinda funny. . . Anyway, if I figure out exactly how I wanted to word it, I'll come back and change it.
Re: Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle by Tosinville(m): 2:37am On Mar 30, 2011
Diz 190 is a piece of shit lol, why u so obsessed with ma ear-ring? besides i'm not even having the real one on it, it was just a stud.
Re: Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle by Imari(f): 2:39am On Mar 30, 2011
I have a niece who lives in Dallas, she works with and is friends with a lot of Nigerians.

She always tell stories of how they would say "they want to be like blacks here", the way they party, dress etc. She is maid of honor for her best friends wedding and as for as the plans I have heard it will be exactly something an American would have.  Although I admit that I am in no way familiar with if an Nigerian wedding differs.

I just see it as emulating what's around you while forgetting the way you were reared, and is no different in the AA community here, where kids have not been raised in "the hood" but emulate that behavior in a effort to fit in then they get caught up.
Re: Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle by Tosinville(m): 2:42am On Mar 30, 2011
Well living in the states for so many long time can also change your lifestyle depending on the environment where you're living.
Re: Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle by Nobody: 6:02am On Mar 30, 2011
2buff:

Hmm, interesting.

wherever I've been to, naija no dey carry last.  grin

They do o! Plenty too. Na disease. If I start disclosing their locations, a few people go vex. It's one of the most annoying things in the world. Chioma becomes "Chantel". Oyin becomes "Honey". Nwabueze becomes "AJ". O di horrible.

[size=2pt]Just to mention a few: Baltimore, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Oakland, New York ghettos, and, of course, HOUSTON AKA "LITTLE AJEGUNLE"[/size]
Re: Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle by InkedNerd(f): 6:05am On Mar 30, 2011
ogugua88:

They do o! Plenty too. If I start disclosing their locations, a few people go vex.

[size=2pt]Just to mention a few: Baltimore, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Oakland, New York ghettos, and, of course, HOUSTON AKA "LITTLE AJEGUNLE"[/size]

lol @ small print grin
Re: Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle by Nobody: 6:09am On Mar 30, 2011
I don modify am small lol.

Come to think of it, what about the Nigerians in Nigeria? My cousins type and speak in ebonics and they've never been abroad. I find myself asking for translations at times.

Something becomes "sumfyn". It's ok becomes "the ish iz aiit". You are aren't you becomes "u are aint'chyu".

I no fit shout again.
Re: Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle by Imari(f): 6:15am On Mar 30, 2011
ogugua88:

Come to think of it, what about the Nigerians in Nigeria? My cousins [b]type and speak in ebonics [/b]and they've never been abroad. I find myself asking for translations at times.

Something becomes "sumfyn". It's ok becomes "the ish iz aiit". You are aren't you becomes "u are aint'chyu".

I no fit shout again.

LOL smiley

I have to ask for an translation of that (ebonics) and I'm an American.
Re: Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle by InkedNerd(f): 6:23am On Mar 30, 2011
Imari:

LOL   smiley

I have to ask for an translation of that (ebonics) and I'm an American.

loooooool grin

Here ya go >>> http://joel.net/EBONICS/Translator & http://www.ebonics-translator.com/learn_ebonics2.php

This article should put a smile on your face grin >>> http://articles.cnn.com/2010-08-24/us/dea.ebonics_1_ebonics-translators-language-form-linguistic-society?_s=PM:US

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrTSYhGtaqw&feature=related[/flash]

ogugua88:

Come to think of it, what about the Nigerians in Nigeria? My cousins type and speak in ebonics and they've never been abroad. I find myself asking for translations at times.

I no fit shout again.

lol, I know its crazy grin.
Re: Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle by Babypinkyz(f): 6:25am On Mar 30, 2011
Tosinville:

Diz 190 is a piece of poo lol, why u so obsessed with ma ear-ring? besides i'm not even having the real one on it, it was just a stud.
is that u?
Re: Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle by Imari(f): 6:55am On Mar 30, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

loooooool grin

Here ya go >>> http://joel.net/EBONICS/Translator & http://www.ebonics-translator.com/learn_ebonics2.php

This article should put a smile on your face grin >>> http://articles.cnn.com/2010-08-24/us/dea.ebonics_1_ebonics-translators-language-form-linguistic-society?_s=PM:US

lol, I know its crazy grin.

THANKS  smiley

The article and the video, I almost fell out the bed laughing.

Re: Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle by aminalib(f): 7:11am On Mar 30, 2011
Tosinville:

Well living in the states for so many long time can also change your lifestyle depending on the environment where you're living.
Tosinville:

Diz 190 is a piece of poo lol, why u so obsessed with ma ear-ring? besides i'm not even having the real one on it, it was just a stud.

so tosin, u are REALITY101?
Re: Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle by InkedNerd(f): 7:28am On Mar 30, 2011
aminalib:

so tosin, u are REALITY101?

No, they are two different people
[size=3pt][thank God][/size]

Imari:

THANKS  smiley

The article and the video, I almost fell out the bed laughing.

lol, no problem grin
Re: Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle by EzeUche(m): 1:41pm On Mar 30, 2011
The "urban" culture not only impacts some Africans, it also impacts other groups such as Asians, Hispanics and people from Europe. This is the price you pay when you live in the United States. I have seen some very "urban" Hmong (Asian) and Philipinos, as well as some very "urban" Armenians in California. Africans are not immune, and if you go to Houston or the DC suburbs, you will find many Nigerians who have embraced this lifestyle. Remember that DC's #1 rapper is a Nigerian. Wale! The point I am trying to make, is that there is nothing wrong with the "urban" lifestyle as long as they remember their roots.
Re: Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle by Thirst4Lif: 5:55pm On Mar 30, 2011
The woman you mention in this story made her OWN choices.

No one forced her! You mean she was so taken with the 'American lifestyle' it caused

her to have 4 children with 4 different men? What about the women

in America who have no children or who's children are only by their

husbands? There are such women, you know? Whey didn't she pattern

her life after them?! Africans scramble to get to America, but when their

lives go bad they want to blame everyone but themselves for their bad

decision making
. This woman  would have been a w.hore regardless of where

she'd made her home! STOP BLAMING AMERICA BECAUSE YOU ARE FOOLISH
Re: Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle by Nobody: 7:53pm On Mar 30, 2011
I doubt Nigerians are among those Africans. Nigerians in large detest anything ghetto.
Well maybe the Nigerians that have been living her since the 30s (as some claim on NL) might live the "urban" ghetto lifestyle. But I am 99% confident that 100% Yoruba people would (if they could) avoid living amongst the Akatas.

We thrive to survive, to bring our children up right. We strive to live the Nigerian lifestyle in a non-Nigerian region.
Re: Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle by Nobody: 7:56pm On Mar 30, 2011
All the nigerians I know at least love to live it big and push themselves likewise.
Wellfare is not an option to them no matter how low they get.
Re: Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle by ADM1(m): 8:20pm On Mar 30, 2011
Well, well, well. I see somebody has created another anti-AA thread. You know, I find it funny that some say that absolutely hate group A, but they can't stop talking about group A. If you hate group A so much, why talk about them? Anyway, as some here said this "urban lifestyle" is specific to one group. I've seen black, white, Asian, and so-called "Latino" (they are not actual Latinos) youngsters with the "urban" behavior. Is it unfortunate? Yes. However, one person's actions do not determine the behavior of an entire group.
Re: Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle by Nobody: 8:40pm On Mar 30, 2011
A.D.M.:

Well, well, well. I see somebody has created another anti-AA thread. You know, I find it funny that some say that absolutely hate group A, but they can't stop talking about group A. If you hate group A so much, why talk about them? Anyway, as some here said this "urban lifestyle" is specific to one group. I've seen black, white, Asian, and so-called "Latino" (they are not actual Latinos) youngsters with the "urban" behavior. Is it unfortunate? Yes. However, one person's actions do not determine the behavior of an entire group.

Paranoia.

Should I point out to you that no one has mentioned hating "group A" or could you be a little less lazy and read through the posts on this thread to find out for yourself?

Not living with "group A" does not mean one hates "group A", it could mean a number of things. Hate could be ONE of them, and not necessarily a strong dislike of the person, but their livelihood.

And if you understand a lil bit of statistics, you'd know that one can never determine any interval for a population (entire group). but there's a probability that  you could determine an interval for that population through the samples you've met and encountered. So yes, Nigerians might have this so so mentality for "group A" through samples of "group A" they've been fortunate or unfortunate to meet.
Re: Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle by Imari(f): 1:28am On Mar 31, 2011
A.D.M.:

Actually, the OP made the distinction that it was not typical of ALL AA but "some" as the word that was used and that it was a "stereotypical" way that many view African Americnas.

If not for that distinction I would have taken offense as I am a member of that group and it is offensive when ALL AA are singled out in the U.S by the white community, as being "ghetto, hoodrat, crackhead, drug dealers, welfare queens with multiple baby daddies or gang banging thugs" .

You are correct in saying that here in the U.S. every group has those elements but it is the black face that is painted in the picture that is disparaged all the time and is just a way not to look at what's wrong in your very own community.
Re: Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle by InkedNerd(f): 5:19am On Mar 31, 2011
EzeUche:

The "urban" culture not only impacts some Africans, it also impacts other groups such as Asians, Hispanics and people from Europe. This is the price you pay when you live in the United States. I have seen some very "urban" Hmong (Asian) and Philipinos, as well as some very "urban" Armenians in California. Africans are not immune, and if you go to Houston or the DC suburbs, you will find many Nigerians who have embraced this lifestyle. Remember that DC's #1 rapper is a Nigerian. Wale! The point I am trying to make, is that there is nothing wrong with the "urban" lifestyle as long as they remember their roots.

Well said kiss

Thirst4Lif:

The woman you mention in this story made her OWN choices.

No one forced her! You mean she was so taken with the 'American lifestyle' it caused

her to have 4 children with 4 different men? What about the women

in America who have no children or who's children are only by their

husbands? There are such women, you know? Whey didn't she pattern

her life after them?! Africans scramble to get to America, but when their

lives go bad they want to blame everyone but themselves for their bad

decision making
. This woman  would have been a w.hore regardless of where

she'd made her home! STOP BLAMING AMERICA BECAUSE YOU ARE FOOLISH

Good point.

Ileke-IdI:

I doubt Nigerians are among those Africans. Nigerians in large detest anything ghetto.
Well maybe the Nigerians that have been living her since the 30s (as some claim on NL) might live the "urban" ghetto lifestyle. But I am 99% confident that 100% Yoruba people would (if they could) avoid living amongst the Akatas.

We thrive to survive, to bring our children up right. We strive to live the Nigerian lifestyle in a non-Nigerian region.

I don't think its fair for you to say that you doubt that Nigerians are among those Africans. If other Africans can live their life in that manner then what would make you think that Nigerians are immune to it? There are Nigerians such as the one that the OP mentioned that I've met and seen here in New York. As a matter of fact, my dad once told me about one of his co-workers [who is also Nigerian] and he mentioned that the guys brother was a drug addict. Till this day, the man is still a crack head.

A.D.M.:

I'm sorry if some of the things you've seen here on Nairaland may give you the impression that we Nigerians have some sort of overt disdain for African Americans but that is not the case. I don't think that the intent of the OP was to bash African Americans or create an anti-African American thread, which is why she mentioned "I know it is quite a stereotype that u would think of some black Americans being ghetto or living the lifestyle". It seems that she is aware that it is a stereotype and that it does not apply to all African Americans.

Ileke-IdI:

Paranoia.

Should I point out to you that no one has mentioned hating "group A" or could you be a little less lazy and read through the posts on this thread to find out for yourself?

Not living with "group A" does not mean one hates "group A", it could mean a number of things. Hate could be ONE of them, and not necessarily a strong dislike of the person, but their livelihood.

And if you understand a lil bit of statistics, you'd know that one can never determine any interval for a population (entire group). but there's a probability that  you could determine an interval for that population through the samples you've met and encountered. So yes, Nigerians might have this so so mentality for "group A" through samples of "group A" they've been fortunate or unfortunate to meet.

He's no paranoid. I don don't blame him voicing his comment as he did. Not too long ago there was a thread that had topics similar to what the OP of this thread mentioned.

Imari:

Actually, the OP made the distinction that it was not typical of ALL AA but "some" as the word that was used and that it was a "stereotypical" way that many view African Americnas.

If not for that distinction I would have taken offense as I am a member of that group and it is offensive when ALL AA are singled out in the U.S by the white community, as being "ghetto, hoodrat, crackhead, drug dealers, welfare queens with multiple baby daddies or gang banging thugs" .

You are correct in saying that here in the U.S. every group has those elements but it is the black face that is painted in the picture that is disparaged all the time and is just a way not to look at what's wrong in your very own community.

Well said.
Re: Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle by Nobody: 5:46am On Mar 31, 2011
I don't think its fair for you to say that you doubt that Nigerians are among those Africans. If other Africans can live their life in that manner then what would make you think that Nigerians are immune to it? There are Nigerians such as the one that the OP mentioned that I've met and seen here in New York. As a matter of fact, my dad once told me about one of his co-workers [who is also Nigerian] and he mentioned that the guys brother was a drug addict. Till this day, the man is still a crack head.

Actual, it is very fair of me.
Based on the Nigerians I know and have encountered, it's not impossible to make an ASSUMPTION based on that experience. I guess it boils down to who we know and associate with.
But Nigerians in general, MO, would not willingly settle down in that kind of lifestyle. Even AA in their right sense of mind and financial situation would not agreeably live the ghetto lifestyle. That lifestyle, IMO, is a forced circumstance.

He's no paranoid. I don don't blame him voicing his comment as he did. Not too long ago there was a thread that had topics similar to what the OP of this thread mentioned.

If he assumed something absent was there based on his fear, then it is paranoia. Not every thread focused on AA has a dark motive.
Re: Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle by InkedNerd(f): 6:23am On Mar 31, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Actual, it is very fair of me.
Based on the Nigerians I know and have encountered, it's not impossible to make an ASSUMPTION based on that experience. I guess it boils down to who we know and associate with.
But Nigerians in general, MO, would not willingly settle down in that kind of lifestyle. Even AA in their right sense of mind and financial situation would not agreeably live the ghetto lifestyle. That lifestyle, IMO, is a forced circumstance.

Your experiences and the kind of Nigerians you have encountered or socialize with are not a representation of Nigerians as a whole. Like you said, it boiles down to who you know. As a group, we are not all the same.
Re: Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle by Thirst4Lif: 8:25am On Mar 31, 2011
The "urban" culture not only impacts some Africans, it also impacts other groups such as Asians, Hispanics and people from Europe. This is the price you pay when you live in the United States.

Just reading some of the comments you would think when Africans go to the U.S. they become mindless idiots incapable of proper judgement. If a

child is reared properly, relocating to another country or continent will not negate his or her upbringing. It's not in the locale, it's in

how the individual was reared! Raise your children properly and instill the right values in that child. THAT IS PARAMOUNT!! Therefore, should they be

fortunate enough to go to the U.S. or another country they will take with them all of the good that was instilled in them by their parents. Only a very

weak-minded person would relocate to the U.S. or anywhere else and be so influenced by the bad they encounter that they let themselves become

a part of it!!
Re: Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle by Thirst4Lif: 8:54am On Mar 31, 2011
The point I am trying to make, is that there is nothing wrong with the "urban" lifestyle as long as they remember their roots.

And by Africans not remembering their 'roots', as you say; by them going to America and becoming a part of the stereotype, they become just

another burden on the American government and the American taxpayers. Which is not why people from foreign countries are welcomed to the

United States in the first place. I'm sure the U.S. thought these people were going to their country to become productive citizens, not to become

a liability. Africans can place blame on African American culture if they need a scapegoat, but in the end every adult is responsible for his or her own

actions.

1 Like

Re: Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle by ADM1(m): 5:30pm On Mar 31, 2011
I apologize for my assumptin, Ileke-Idi. It was stupid of me to make to make that assumption without looking at the comments in their entirety.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Biracial: What Could Be The Reason For Fair Complexion Among The Igbos? / Ibo Girls And Yoruba Girls Which One Will U Prefer Guys / Oba Of Benin Must Be Respected With His Head Buried In Ile-ife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.