Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,533 members, 7,819,914 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:30 AM

What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? (9049 Views)

Books I've Been Looking For! Which Books Do You Find Hard To Get? / What Kind Of Books Do You Read? / Titles Of Books (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by rman: 7:44am On Apr 05, 2011
Sisi_Kill:

@ Topic
OP you can't go wrong with books like these. . .

Conquering the conqueror of your Bank Account by Pastor Godman

Overcoming the overcomer of your pocket by Daddy Pastor Mangod

Preparing a home of people prepared to serve the church by Pastor (Mrs) Angelicita

Faith is all it takes By Pastor Mummy MJ

It shall be well through the power of tongue by Bishop Holier

How to fly high on the wings of majestic Angels - Pay your tithes by Evangelist (Dr) Rightman

How to think for yourself - 10 ways to absolute mind clarity by Mother Superior Immaculate

Witches and Wizard I don't belong to you by Reverend Olusho Aguntan

Harnessing the Holy Ghost fire from Heaven - Pastor Dr Mrs Fire Brigade.

Mentally embrace the spouse of your dreams and bring him/her to reality by Pastors Mrs. Young and Hip.

Subtract sorrow from your life by adding jubilation divided by congratulations multiplied by Celebration by General Overseer Mathematician Allswell.

Straightening the bad roads and lighten the darkness in your life through prayer by Pastor Engineer Goodluck

Building your Mansion in the heavenly realms by Bishop Architect Feelgood.
GENUIS! LMAO! grin grin grin. As funny as it is, it is absolutely true.
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by Orikinla(m): 8:54am On Apr 05, 2011
Motivational books, religious books on prosperity and marriage and compulsory text books sell well. But most of the books sold on the street are pirated books. Presently, the psyche of majority of Nigerians is powered by their survival instinct and ego and their ego is based on the material acquisition of social status symbols. Majority of Nigerians are really Philistines who have little or no appreciation for intellectual civilization.  My small book of love quotes and kissing sold faster than my book of fiction.  Any book on relationship and sex at N500 a copy will sell well. The best way to sell books in Nigeria is not through the bookshops, but by taking your books to their workplaces, religious meetings and events. You can sell 2,000 copies a month of any of the books I mentioned if you employ just only two vendors to hawk the book at motor parks, markets and at other gatherings. Personally you can sell up to 20 copies daily on your own by taking the books to offices or trading places. You can also use social network sites successfully by telling your contacts to buy your books. I  sell at least 2 copies of books daily for Amazon. The highly gifted Nigerian banker and author Jekwu Ozoemene's book "The Anger of Unfulfillment" is one of the new books Nigerians are demanding now. The book of three satirical plays on President Goodluck Jonathan's Nigeria, 419 and the fears of AIDS is on the bestsellers list in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by Reggie2(m): 9:01am On Apr 05, 2011
Just finished a fiction (novel) that's been a torn around my neck. It's about a fight between tradition & modernity; about animism & Christianity - set in igboland. I stumbled onto this trend and got curious. Though one is not drawn into writing for the naira sake, yet an author wants his stuff to be read! Should I go ahead to publish?
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by ifyalways(f): 10:38am On Apr 05, 2011
Sisi,u no well cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by http(m): 1:03pm On Apr 05, 2011
grin i dont know about other types of books but this book will sell more than u can imagine,

How to eliminate your mother-in-law by Dr. oloruku.

It is a must for all women and young girls, they aree need it one time or the other.
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by Emmz(f): 1:20pm On Apr 05, 2011
It is not true that people don't buy books. people do. I for one am a book lover and i have friends like that. I have shelves of books. I read mostly fictional books, e.g thrillers, suspense and sometimes comedies.

A lot of girls like romance books. I'm not one of them though.

I wanted to start selling books last year i asked around but it didn't seem feasible cos we had numetro both at silverbird and shoprite and their books weren't all that expensive ( N1000) per book.

All i can advise you to do is take the advice of Orikinla. You need to go about hawking your books and if you cant do that then at least employ someone to do that. But you wud av to put into consideration the amount you bought the books, the profit margin and the salary of your employee in order for you to make out if its even worth it.

One last thing is KINDLE. I dont know if you have heard of this but i believe all book lovers know this or at least shd know that kindle is an e-book. A lot of book lovers already have this device where you can store about 300 books.

I would be getting one soon so,  its really going to be hard selling paper books when people can get on e-device and store as many books as they like. (Nigerians love electronics)

Please do your research very well b4 embarking on this journey.
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by sandysprax(m): 8:38pm On Apr 05, 2011
inspirational books
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by blacklion(m): 8:30am On Apr 06, 2011
@ emmz,

Is it really cost-effective to get a Kindle or other dedicated e-reader when you can get a tab that does what the Kindle does plus many other things? Its your money anyway but I would suggest you slow down on buying a Kindle and watch the evolution of the iPad and Android tabs for a little while. Many or even most tabs have Kindle or other e-reader apps.
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by stespe: 10:57am On Apr 06, 2011
For me, i think business books that can change the financial status of anyone will definitely record a high demand. You can check out this link for some fantastic business books www.icashpack.webs.com
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by kcreal(f): 11:03am On Apr 06, 2011
@ Sisi kill and Ijogz una wan kill person 4 hia.
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by maclatunji: 5:05pm On Apr 06, 2011
@Sisi_Kill, you are absolutely right, your post is the funniest I have read in about 3 months on Nairaland, I love the humour.

@OP, might I add Nigerian youth from 13-30 bracket will read novels, get-rich-quick guides, biographies of famous people, comics and religious literature. However, you will have a problem if most of your books cost more than N1200. There are more than enough N200-N500 books around in Ikeja, Yaba and other places to feed the reading hunger of the populace at the moment.
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by Emmz(f): 8:28pm On Apr 06, 2011
blacklion:

@ emmz,

Is it really cost-effective to get a Kindle or other dedicated e-reader when you can get a tab that does what the Kindle does plus many other things? Its your money anyway but I would suggest you slow down on buying a Kindle and watch the evolution of the iPad and Android tabs for a little while. Many or even most tabs have Kindle or other e-reader apps.

What do you mean by Tab? Do you mean Ipads, Netbooks, Tablets?  I dont know what a tab is. I dont really like complicated things hence im not sure i want an ipad. I really dont like touch screen but i can do kindle cos it BOOKS!! By the way kindle is way cheaper than an ipad. Kindle is about 125 pounds ipads are over 400 pounds and i really dont care about 95 percent of its feature. Just like my bb. I dont use most of its components except chatting. I check my emails on my laptop. As for my laptop hmmmm. The first time i got one, it was purely for spider solitaire. lol. back then internet system was too slow so coudnt be bothered. so you see my friend  i get things purely for one reason or maybe two so this tab although i dont know what it is, im betting that if i do get it, il use it just for one thing. I wouldnt care about its features so why dont i just get me a kindle that is purely for books (one thing) that i can carry every where with me and is super light in my bag.

So educate me. What is Tab? You could help me decide. grin
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by MyneWhite1(f): 9:27pm On Apr 06, 2011
@OP, great question. I've been wondering the same myself. Nice to read the comments.

I have my book A Heart to Mend in several bookstores around the country. I've found that the HUB Media Store at the Shoprite Mall is the quickest selling. So indeed people do read. My second book will be landing there soon.
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by blacklion(m): 9:28pm On Apr 06, 2011
@ emmz

Yes, 'tab' is short for tablet PC as in iPad and its competitors like Samsung Galaxy, Motorola Xoom, Blackberry Playbook etc.

If you're just reading e-books, then a Kindle is probably a more cost-efficient option. But if/when you decide to replace your laptop, you might as well get a tab then for e-books, chat and email and light browsing. Prices should be lower by then too.
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by Emmz(f): 9:39pm On Apr 06, 2011
blacklion:

@ emmz

Yes, 'tab' is short for tablet PC as in iPad and its competitors like Samsung Galaxy, Motorola Xoom, Blackberry Playbook etc.

If you're just reading e-books, then a Kindle is probably a more cost-efficient option. But if/when you decide to replace your laptop, you might as well get a tab then for e-books, chat and email and light browsing. Prices should be lower by then too.

Hmmmmm ok. I do want to change my laptop. like right now. but nah! touch screen (ipad) plus it dosent even have a dvd player or does it? Its too small to have one.
Thanks anyway il just stick to Kindle for now. I get bored of electronics anyway especially laptops and phones so maybe il get an ipad in the future but for now il just do Kindle. Thanks.
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by blacklion(m): 9:46pm On Apr 06, 2011
Why don't you try out a touchscreen cellphone like Nokia C7 - or even try out an iPod Touch if you're seriously into music? I suspect once you get familiar with touchscreen, you'll be hooked for lifesmiley I used to be sceptical myself until i got an iPod Touch 3 years ago and since then, I've never looked back. I do have a regular laptop for work but for leisure, its touchscreen all the way for me.
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by jobadmin(m): 4:52am On Apr 07, 2011
i think religious and financial
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by elegal1(f): 12:43pm On Apr 07, 2011
Motivational Books
Religious Books
Management Books
Dating Books
Health
Slimming
Fashion Magazines
Foreign Gossip Magazines

In the meantime check out the following:-
http://www.lifesuccessdigest.com/
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by MyneWhite1(f): 6:06pm On Apr 07, 2011
@sisikill, that was so funny!

1 Like

Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by tlops(m): 8:28pm On Apr 07, 2011
jobadmin:

i think religious and financial
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by Theblessed(f): 9:36pm On Apr 07, 2011
[b][size=16pt]Please, don't bother!  Nigerians don't like reading therefore, don't make any effort in that dept.  To a typical Nigerian, reading is a waste of time hence our ignorance. 

Reading not only empowers you, it broadens the mind and strengthens ones written, spoken and general use of a language e.g. English, French, Spanish and our own WAZOBIA too. This Nigerans seem to forget. 

Nigerians like 'quick-fixes' and if it's not so then, forget about it.  As suggested by someone on here, they may have interest in religious books however, many Nigerian have Bibles in their homes and goes to Church every Sunday but I wonder how many have actually read the WHOLE BIBLE from Genesis to Revelation (at least once) - I need to know and I bet you, not alot? 

We are Sunday School Bible readers and I bet even some Pastors among us, hadn't done so and it won't surprise me.

So my advice is, do your Martket Research very well before embarking on that particular idea as to avoid wastage because, most Nigerians are scared of letters therefore, NON-READERS! grin
[/size][/b]
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by GoldCircle: 1:19pm On Apr 09, 2011
Emeka, it's a hard fact! but the truth is Nigerians don't read! Except of course soft sell mags and other junk stuff like Sun newspapers! Maybe you should channel your resources into movie production or soft sell mags.
Again, you could explore the possibility of writing books for children. I understand that books for kids by Nigerian authors has got a rising demand in the market. the only thing you'll have to bother yourself with thereafter will be piracy!.
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by pisces20: 8:01pm On Apr 10, 2011
@ Topic. . . Lyrics Books grin
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by emekauzor(m): 7:35pm On May 01, 2011
Orikinla:

Motivational books, religious books on prosperity and marriage and compulsory text books sell well. But most of the books sold on the street are pirated books. Presently, the psyche of majority of Nigerians is powered by their survival instinct and ego and their ego is based on the material acquisition of social status symbols. Majority of Nigerians are really Philistines who have little or no appreciation for intellectual civilization.  My small book of love quotes and kissing sold faster than my book of fiction.  Any book on relationship and sex at N500 a copy will sell well. The best way to sell books in Nigeria is not through the bookshops, but by taking your books to their workplaces, religious meetings and events. You can sell 2,000 copies a month of any of the books I mentioned if you employ just only two vendors to hawk the book at motor parks, markets and at other gatherings. Personally you can sell up to 20 copies daily on your own by taking the books to offices or trading places. You can also use social network sites successfully by telling your contacts to buy your books. I  sell at least 2 copies of books daily for Amazon. The highly gifted Nigerian banker and author Jekwu Ozoemene's book "The Anger of Unfulfillment" is one of the new books Nigerians are demanding now. The book of three satirical plays on President Goodluck Jonathan's Nigeria, 419 and the fears of AIDS is on the bestsellers list in Nigeria.     

nice one there, really appreciate your advice the truth is you have made my day, with this line of advice you gave me, look into it
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by raycomray: 7:24am On May 13, 2011
NIGERIANS DON'T READ! OR SHOULD I SAY "THE READING CULTURE IS DEAD HERE"
WE IMPORTED SOME BOOKS WHICH WERE TO BE GIVEN TO OR CUSTOMERS FREE FOR THEIR LOYALTY THIS LAST EASTER.
SURPRISINGLY, MOST OF THEM COMPLAINED WHY WE BOTHERED TO GIVE THEM BOOKS, WHILE SOME BLUNTLY REFUSED TO COLLECT THEM.
A PARTICULAR PRETTY LADY SAID " UNA DEY F:CK UP! NA BOOK I WAN CHOP"
PERSONALLY, I LOOKED FOOLISH B4 MY STAFF BECAUSE, I WAS THE ONE THAT RECOMMENDED THAT WE GIVE BOOKS OUT. HOWEVER, WHEN WE GIVE OUT UMBRELLAS, THE CUSTOMERS WILL BE REJOICING.
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by Babylove1(f): 5:10pm On May 25, 2011
^^to tell you that poverty has really eaten deeply into the soul of this country, only God can deliver us
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by Exciton(m): 4:39am On Feb 06, 2018
But but but but... these same Nigerians supported and trended a hashtag when Chimamanda basically lied to the French that we've got a reading culture + libraries/bookstores stuffed with high quality books are all over the country. I don't get why we like deluding ourselves instead of facing our problems head-on!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by six33fourng: 8:32pm On Jan 13, 2023
Buy books online from your favourite bookstore in Nigeria. We have a veritable collection of books that span categories as diverse as you could possibly expect.

From segments like accountancy, to parenting and pregnancy, to banking and finance, to even topics on yoga and meditation – almost any category you seek you would books on it.

Apply to join the largest independent marketplace for sellers today! In addition to helping us to support you and our fellow booksellers, you'll get:

Lowest fees and commissions of any commercial marketplace.
No monthly fee option — you don't pay if you don't sell.
Reach thousands times more people than a magazine ad, for a fraction of the cost

Visit - https://six33four.ng/bookstore/
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by olab059(m): 8:02pm On Jan 15, 2023
raycomray:
NIGERIANS DON'T READ! OR SHOULD I SAY "THE READING CULTURE IS DEAD HERE"
WE IMPORTED SOME BOOKS WHICH WERE TO BE GIVEN TO OR CUSTOMERS FREE FOR THEIR LOYALTY THIS LAST EASTER.
SURPRISINGLY, MOST OF THEM COMPLAINED WHY WE BOTHERED TO GIVE THEM BOOKS, WHILE SOME BLUNTLY REFUSED TO COLLECT THEM.
A PARTICULAR PRETTY LADY SAID " UNA DEY F:CK UP! NA BOOK I WAN CHOP"
PERSONALLY, I LOOKED FOOLISH B4 MY STAFF BECAUSE, I WAS THE ONE THAT RECOMMENDED THAT WE GIVE BOOKS OUT. HOWEVER, WHEN WE GIVE OUT UMBRELLAS, THE CUSTOMERS WILL BE REJOICING.

I laugh in 2011 grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Get This Free Ebook: Entangled Affair, Directly In Your Mail / Mara The Lesbian - Episode 1 (18+only) / Review an entry for the Etisalat Prize For Literature.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.