Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,239 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:28 AM

What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? (9030 Views)

Books I've Been Looking For! Which Books Do You Find Hard To Get? / What Kind Of Books Do You Read? / Titles Of Books (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by emekauzor(m): 7:37pm On Mar 30, 2011
Hello what to start selling books online and offline, but would like to know what Nigerian's read, is it worth the investment going into it, how much can the average Nigerian afford to buy a book, and what kind of books do WE read?

Is it Motivational, religious, financial, programming, etc etc?

Need to know

thumbs up people ? smiley smiley smiley
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by jaymdee(m): 2:01pm On Apr 03, 2011
emekauzor:

Hello what to start selling books online and offline, but would like to know what Nigerian's read, is it worth the investment going into it, how much can the average Nigerian afford to buy a book, and what kind of books do WE read?

Is it Motivational, religious, financial, programming, etc etc?

Need to know

thumbs up people ? smiley smiley smiley

lipsrsealed undecided lipsrsealed
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by blacklion(m): 12:41pm On Apr 04, 2011
Why not start with a casual personal survey of major bookshops across Nigeria? Look at what's on the shelves and observe what people are buying.

From what I have seen at the larger bookshops in Lagos e.g. Quintessence and The Hub, it appears motivational, religious and financial are the top selling categories. Also management books especially for those doing long distance MBA programmes seem to sell quite well.
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by maxtop(m): 12:49pm On Apr 04, 2011
ANY BOOK THAT RELATES TO SEX STYLES AND POSITIONS !!! wink wink wink wink wink
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by ifyalways(f): 1:30pm On Apr 04, 2011
Depends on your target audience.You can never go wrong with the ffg 3 choices:
Sex,gossip/celebrity and fashion.
Church and religious books eg[i] Dreams interpretation,set time for marriage,singles for Jesus,kill the witch,blah blah blah.[/i]
Textbooks,research works,Information technology(dumps etc) books.

3 Likes

Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by Ericomoto(m): 1:35pm On Apr 04, 2011
Motivational books and Newspapers.
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by AjanleKoko: 2:07pm On Apr 04, 2011
You guys are funny wink

Nigerians read all types of books. In a nation of 150 million people, and you're asking what books do Nigerians read?
Basically everything: From fiction to topical, and general interest, religious, motivational, historical, etc.

It's the younger generation (Y and Z) that don't read anything, and we have seen how that has impacted their command of the English language.
They'd rather surf online and watch movies.
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by SisiKill1: 2:19pm On Apr 04, 2011
@ Topic
OP you can't go wrong with books like these. . .

Conquering the conqueror of your Bank Account by Pastor Godman

Overcoming the overcomer of your pocket by Daddy Pastor Mangod

Preparing a home of people prepared to serve the church  by Pastor (Mrs) Angelicita

Faith is all it takes  By Pastor Mummy MJ

It shall be well through the power of tongue by Bishop Holier

How to fly high on the wings of majestic Angels - Pay your tithes by Evangelist (Dr) Rightman

How to think for yourself - 10 ways to absolute mind clarity by Mother Superior Immaculate

Witches and Wizard I don't belong to you by Reverend Olusho Aguntan 

Harnessing the Holy Ghost fire from Heaven -  Pastor Dr Mrs Fire Brigade.

Mentally embrace the spouse of your dreams and bring him/her to reality by Pastors Mrs. Young and Hip.

Subtract sorrow from your life by adding jubilation divided by congratulations multiplied by Celebration by General Overseer Mathematician Allswell.

Straightening the bad roads and lighten the darkness in your life through prayer by Pastor Engineer Goodluck

Building your Mansion in the heavenly realms by Bishop Architect Feelgood.

1 Like

Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by arogbowei: 2:37pm On Apr 04, 2011
Posted by: Sisi_Kill
Insert Quote
@ Topic

Preparing a home of people prepared to serve the church by Pastor (Mrs) Angelicita

Faith is all it takes By Pastor Mummy MJ

How to fly high on the wings of majestic Angels - Pay your tithes by Evangelist (Dr) Rightman

How to think for yourself - 10 ways to absolute mind clarity by Mother Superior Immaculate

Harnessing the Holy Ghost fire from Heaven - Pastor Dr Mrs Fire Brigade.

Mentally embrace the spouse of your dreams and bring him/her to reality by Pastors Mrs. Young and Hip.

Subtract sorrow from your life by adding jubilation divided by congratulations multiplied by Celebration by General Overseer Mathematician Allswell.

Straightening the bad roads and lighten the darkness in your life through prayer by Pastor Engineer Goodluck

I dey laugh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Poster make your choice.

At least this is pretty refreshing, different from the political posters that have been generating enmity and division.

1 Like

Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Apr 04, 2011
They buy books found at http://www.free-browsing.tk so go and buy yours
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by Ayoobscom(m): 3:20pm On Apr 04, 2011
If at the moment-then any book that has on its cover Jonathan punche Buhari and Ribadu to Death

After the election maybe---Anyone that has in it jobs advertisement and blow jobs back cover

might be comical but this is my research people !
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by gametalk: 3:23pm On Apr 04, 2011
Motivational books and sporting books,

Hmmmm, This really sells fast, Get rich quick or get $1000000 in 2hrs,
LMAO !!!
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by Jeel: 3:26pm On Apr 04, 2011
www.how2winanywoman..com and find out now
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by FabulousE1: 3:49pm On Apr 04, 2011
MOTIVATIONAL BOOKS with a bit of GOSSIP Gistsss, INSPIRATIONAL BOOKS with a bit of FALSE STORIES AND EVENTS, and FINALLY FASHION TIP PAGES, with a bit of HALF- NAKED LADIES ( MODELS) and crazy Dressers.
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by BizBooks(m): 3:57pm On Apr 04, 2011
Business and Self-Help books used to sell well in Nigeria. Now the dealers I contact all ask for religious books. They claim they will buy any quantity I bring. Do your own research.
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Apr 04, 2011
Books like

1. How to locate the exact witch on your case
2. TB Joshua finally caught red handed
3. How you can run an christian empire like that of Bishop David Oyedepo
4. Obansanjo caught pants down with GEJ
5. Styles that had never been used during sexxx,

@ OP you can see that books in all aspect of life would sell, it only depends on the topic and writers experience.

1 Like

Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by AZeD1(m): 4:31pm On Apr 04, 2011
Sisi_Kill:

@ Topic

Preparing a home of people prepared to serve the church  by Pastor (Mrs) Angelicita

Dude u  r killin me
But on second thought, u know say u go hammer if u write one off the above??

1 Like

Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by mbulela: 4:44pm On Apr 04, 2011
AjanleKoko:

You guys are funny wink

Nigerians read all types of books. In a nation of 150 million people, and you're asking what books do Nigerians read?
Basically everything: From fiction to topical, and general interest, religious, motivational, historical, etc.

It's the younger generation (Y and Z) that don't read anything, and we have seen how that has impacted their command of the English language.
They'd rather surf online and watch movies.

Oga, i respectfully disagree o!
I doubt anyone has said no Nigerian reads.
It is just that in a country of over 150million, the population that read are minute and even amongst those,the majority of them read religious books whose titles are closely related to that hilarious list above.
As a people, we just don't read.
It is partly an environment thing (a lack of good public transport in cities with horrible traffic situations, you get home from work or school after fighting for hours in trafic and the last thing on your mind is to read a few pages from a book with no light and all that).
if the adults don't read how will the young ones read?
when last did you see an adult buy a good book for a kid as a birthday gift?
instead you see gifts like BB, Ben 10 and MP3 players.
seen a functional library around here,lately?

@post, stick to religious books and fashion mags if you want to turn a profit.
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by elegal1(f): 4:45pm On Apr 04, 2011
Motivational Books
Religious Books
Management Books
Dating Books
Health
Slimming
Fashion Magazines
Foreign Gossip Magazines

In the meantime check out the following:-
http://www.lifesuccessdigest.com/
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by blacklion(m): 5:06pm On Apr 04, 2011
There was this South African company, NuMetro, that tried to run a bookstore and entertainment hub in Lagos a few years back. Kinda like the Virgin shops, Borders or HMV; they were operating from the Silverbird centre in Lagos and they had a pretty wide selection of fiction, general interest literature and all sorts of music. They packed up after barely 2 years - guess they were not making a profit.

Some Nigerians do read but the market is not very wide. This is one reason why the Lagos bookshops that sell novels, serious fiction and books other than religious/management books e.g. Glendora, Quintessence, Terra Kulture etc have to charge premium prices to cover their costs because the turnover is low.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by Ultrame(m): 5:12pm On Apr 04, 2011
@Sisi_kill & Ijogz

Una no go kill me ooo! laughed hysterically as i read through your posts.

You guys have totally mastered the Nigerian literary psyche! Your posts, no matter how preposterous it sounds, ring absolutely true.

@Poster
A book is likely to garner considerable attention here, if it can manage to mash up some unproven money-making tactics with suspicious religious dogma and sandwish it between explicit sexual content and an impossible weight loss routine that will kill you in minutes.

Ha! Naija i hail thee.  grin
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Apr 04, 2011
@ Sisi_kill

You just made one very bored person laugh until she cried, thank you very much grin
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by zinzi: 6:03pm On Apr 04, 2011
religous
motivational (how 2 make money with sweatin)
fiction (action by best seller authors, romance, m&b or harlequin )
then d rest
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by Pukkah: 6:15pm On Apr 04, 2011
Sisi_Kill:

@ Topic

Your sense of humour is something else! smiley
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by Ultrame(m): 6:39pm On Apr 04, 2011
Pukkah:

Your sense of humour is something else! smiley

You my friend, must be hugely funny to enjoy sisi's witty humor. She's amazing, i tell ya!
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by Carlosein(m): 6:59pm On Apr 04, 2011
@OP,

ovation (Pictures only) undecided
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by desholah(m): 7:06pm On Apr 04, 2011
OP.
I haardly see people reading books in that country,Except those still in schls . . . . cheesy

But I think Motivational,Religious,Fashion & style,Research and Sex books do sell in the country!
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by emekauzor(m): 7:56pm On Apr 04, 2011
LMFAO!, Nigerians are very interesting people, was expecting all sorts some folks just drift in one direction, wanted to know what kind for a reason,, in the end thanks everyone for your help
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by mystikal(m): 8:52pm On Apr 04, 2011
101 Prayer points
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by Ndipe(m): 10:17pm On Apr 04, 2011
Sisi_Kill:

@ Topic

Funny, I was just cracking up when I read this. cheesy
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by Nobody: 3:41am On Apr 05, 2011
cheesy better lover magazines is widely read in nigeria
Re: What Kind Of Books Do Nigerian's Buy ? by folahann(m): 4:09am On Apr 05, 2011
A book these two tittles will be the best selling book ever in Nigeria:
How To Successfully Scam And Make Billions Without Getting Caught. (100% Success)
How To Get Your Way Around EFCC Even If You Chop $1billion
Seriously, no joke these will be the best selling books ever in Nigeria.  the latter will be patronised more by the  Politicians

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 10 Nigerian Websites For Upcoming Writers / Review an entry for the Etisalat Prize For Literature. / A Mommy For Christmas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.