Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,556 members, 7,861,637 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 04:01 PM

RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) (4600 Views)

Tinubu Vs Atiku Head To Head In Ss/se And Nc / Onitsha Is The Only City In Nigeria That Looks Human-created / The Only City With 11 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) by SaiOba: 2:31pm On Jan 08, 2021
Ewo! Nne, What have I done o?

Juicegal:
Cc otokx Enugupikin, SaiOba, rafindo, beremx
Re: RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) by Juicegal(f): 2:32pm On Jan 08, 2021
Dedetwo:

As for origin of "Orlu", I suggest you think of Oru. The Orlu is an Anglicized Oru as British spelt it.
Nope Dedetwo. There is a community from time immemorial called ORLU-GEDEGWUM also called Ishiobiukwu gedegwum They are bordered by Amaike, Umudioka Ukwu to the north, Mgbe and Ideato to the west, Umunna to the East and Amaifeke to the south.

This is the home of the popular Acholonu who was the first educated man in that axis and who the British installed as Igwe even when his village ,Eluama was not entitled to be the Igwe. (The headship of Orlu gedegwum was from the Umuokwara village but had no educated man as at then)

Orlu gedegwum never had any ORU connection and are of pure Isu stock and their dialect is same with that of other Isu communities around them like Amiake, Eziachi Umunna, Umuowa etc down to Nkwerre, Amaigbo and Isu proper(Nwangele and Isu LGA).

The popular Orlu Holy Trinity Catholic ArchDiocese cathedral is located here in Umuire village of Orlu gedegwum community. Longtime Bishop Shanahan College is also located there at Eluama village of Orlu gedegwum.

1 Like

Re: RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) by Emlproperties: 2:34pm On Jan 08, 2021
Juicegal:
D2 my brother i hear you. But Orlu Zone is a bit unique. Even though we have the majority 12 LGAs and population spread in Imo state, We are mostly of ISU and ORU origin unlike other zones and till Jesus comes we recognize that fact and hardly bask in unnecessary divisions. Isu people are also present in Owerri zone in parts of Orodo, Ofekata etc and Okigwe zone in Abajah, Anara, etc. We still recognize them as Isu kiths even though they are delineated into other senatorial zones.
You are right. We are of Isu and Oru stock. Isu initially were northern Igbos domiciled in places like Igboukwu, before a large chunk migrated south, further spreading to found places like Isuikwuato, Ikwuano, Umuahia, Owerri, Mbaise, Etche, Ngwa, Bende down to Cross River area in present Arochukwu LGA. There still exist Isu villages in Arochukwu.

The Oru/Olu are riverine Igbos who occupies the banks of the Niger and further down to the mouth of the atlantic. Ijaw historians said they founded many riverine communities in present day Bayelsa and Delta.

1 Like

Re: RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) by Beremx(f): 2:55pm On Jan 08, 2021
Enugupikin:

Well, I'm simply happy mbaise people don't indulge in the identity denial
Mbaise people are big enough to have their own identity. They don’t need to hide under the Owerri identity
Re: RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) by Emlproperties: 2:55pm On Jan 08, 2021
Juicegal:
Nope Dedetwo. There is a community from time immemorial called ORLU-GEDEGWUM also called Ishiobiukwu gedegwum They are bordered by Amaike, Umudioka Ukwu to the north, Mgbe and Ideato to the west, Umunna to the East and Amaifeke to the south.

This is the home of the popular Acholonu who was the first educated man in that axis and who the British installed as Igwe even when his village ,Eluama was not entitled to be the Igwe. (The headship of Orlu gedegwum was from the Umuokwara village but had no educated man as at then)

Orlu gedegwum never had any ORU connection and are of pure Isu stock and their dialect is same with that of other Isu communities around them like Amiake, Eziachi Umunna, Umuowa etc down to Nkwerre, Amaigbo and Isu proper(Nwangele and Isu LGA).

The popular Holy Trinity Catholic Diocese cathedral is located here in Umuire village of Orlu gedegwum community. Longtime Bishop Shanahan College is also located there at Eluama village of Orlu gedegwum.
That Acholonu family have produced men and women of timber and calibre. My Auntys husband who was former Imsu registrar is from there.

1 Like

Re: RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) by Emlproperties: 3:00pm On Jan 08, 2021
Beremx:
Mbaise people are big enough to have their own identity. They don’t need to hide under the Owerri identity
Sure Mbaise is a tribe on it's own. I think they are the largest in terms of population in the SE.
Re: RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) by Juicegal(f): 3:05pm On Jan 08, 2021
Emlproperties:
The major towns/cities that comprises Orlu zone are thus:

1. Orlu
2. Akokwa
3. Umuaka
4. Oguta
5. Umundugba
6. Nkwerre
7. Amaigbo
8. Osina
9. Ekwe
10. Arondizuogu
11. Ohaji
12. Awo-Idemili
13. Ihioma
14. Mgbidi
15. Umuowa
16. Awo-Omamma
17. Nnenasa
and many more infact over 100 towns.
Re: RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) by Juicegal(f): 3:10pm On Jan 08, 2021
Emlproperties:
That Acholonu family have produced men and women of timber and calibre. My Auntys husband who was former Imsu registrar is from there.
True talk. Their grandfather was a great man who ran things with the British colonial masters. They still enjoy the benefits of his exploits.

2 Likes

Re: RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) by Juicegal(f): 3:11pm On Jan 08, 2021
Beremx:
He was just being biased and couldn't hide it.
Re: RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) by Emlproperties: 3:22pm On Jan 08, 2021
Juicegal:
and many more infact over 100 towns.
Exactly over 100. Imo state is one is the highly urbanized state per km in Nigeria as a whole. And Imo west (Orlu zone) is part of that development. You’ll hardly find villages in Orlu zone nay Imo state. Virtually every community is a town by right.

That's why when I see some people posting pictures of only Orlu urban I laugh. Places like Oguta, Umuaka, Nkwerre, Akokwa, Mgbidi can rival Orlu town.

2 Likes

Re: RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) by Juicegal(f): 3:37pm On Jan 08, 2021
Emlproperties:
Exactly over 100. Imo state is one is the highly urbanized state per km in Nigeria as a whole. And Imo west (Orlu zone) is part of that development. You’ll hardly find villages in Orlu zone nay Imo state. Virtually every community is a town by right.

That's why when I see some people posting pictures of only Orlu urban I laugh. Places like Oguta, Umuaka, Nkwerre, Akokwa, Mgbidi can rival Orlu town.
100%. You know Orlu very well. Good thing is that the Orlu township is fast expanding to Nkume in Njaba LGA. Once Rochas university kicks off fully, u will also see an expansion from Mgbee towards Ogboko and down to Ntueke , Osina and Urualla.

2 Likes

Re: RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) by Emlproperties: 4:16pm On Jan 08, 2021
Juicegal:
100%. You know Orlu very well. Good thing is that the Orlu township is fast expanding to Nkume in Njaba LGA. Once Rochas university kicks off fully, u will also see an expansion from Mgbee towards Ogboko and down to Ntueke , Osina and Urualla.
You are right about Orlu expanding into Nkume. I think it was deliberate by Udenwa. The plan is to was to make Orlu township extend towards Ideato/Akokwa to the north, linking Mbano/Okigwe to the west and connecting Orodo/Owerri to the south. But that plan was delayed by successive Governors. Although Ohakim and Rochas did some dualization of major roads, there was still this non-chalant attitude about their intentions. Let's see what Uzodinma has in stock.

1 Like

Re: RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) by Juicegal(f): 4:44pm On Jan 08, 2021
Emlproperties:
You are right about Orlu expanding into Nkume. I think it was deliberate by Udenwa. The plan is to was to make Orlu township extend towards Ideato/Akokwa to the north, linking Mbano/Okigwe to the west and connecting Orodo/Owerri to the south. But that plan was delayed by successive Governors. Although Ohakim and Rochas did some dualization of major roads, there was still this non-chalant attitude about their intentions. Let's see what Uzodinma has in stock.
Udenwa truely was the catalyst to this strategic expansion. Rochas an Orlu son drew it back with nothing to show via new viable projects or consolidation of Udenwa efforts. Even the roads leading to his hometown is in a mess from mgbee to ogboko. Its really a shame. Hope Uzodinma may concentrate development on the Oru LGAs axis which for me is still a win win for all Orlu people. Time will tell sha.
Re: RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) by Nigercity: 5:34pm On Jan 08, 2021
Emlproperties:
Sure Mbaise is a tribe on it's own. I think they are the largest in terms of population in the SE.

Abi
Buh I don't think the are the largest numerical wise
Ezza people,Aro (all Aros), Ngwa people
Should be bigger than them shaa maybe with Nsukka tribe

2 Likes

Re: RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) by thatigboman: 6:09pm On Jan 09, 2021
Enugupikin:

You tried but half baked. There is officially nothing like orlu senatorial zone in the constitution, is just some sort of identity crises we're talking about that cursed it. What you call orlu senatorial zone is actually imo west senatorial zone, same way we have imo north covering okigwe and mbano, onuimo and the rest.
everything mustn't be in the constitution. Any imolite u tell that u are from okigwe, owerri or orlu zone knows what u are talking about
Re: RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) by Shaneroberts: 7:28pm On May 23
Bump.
Re: RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) by Ttipsy(f): 7:42pm On May 23
Op you forget to add the cultural practices

Nkwerre women their songs and dance steps
Re: RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) by Beremx(f): 7:44pm On May 23
Orlu is now a shadow of itself. Bad roads everywhere as at last time I visited in April. Too bad

1 Like

Re: RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) by Ttipsy(f): 7:45pm On May 23
Roads in Orlu

1 Like

Re: RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) by Ttipsy(f): 7:47pm On May 23
Orlu — Owerri expressway

1 Like

Re: RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) by Amah70: 11:18am On May 24
Orlu should have become larger than Owerri in city status if not for the type of governors produced by Orlu zone since 1999.
Orlu central is well planned starting during the 1970s with roads.
More than 90% of those roads are not paved till today, but most of the roads are fully built with houses on both sides.

3 Likes

Re: RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) by igwebuike01: 12:51pm On May 24
Enugupikin:

All these is because people feel their towns aren't popular and they need to be in a general well known town.
Same can't be said of Enugu where someone will tell you I'm from ụdị, Ngwo, Nsukka, Nkanu etc and not just owerri, orlu and okigwe whereas they're many towns in there.

Or Anambra which take pride in their town names, Nimo, Nibo, Nnobi, Enugwu Agidi, Awka Etiti, igbo ukwu, uli, Aguleri etc, towns here are even more popular than LGA

Or Ebonyi where someone will say I'm from Afikpo, ohaozara, Abakaliki, ohaukwu, ishielu etc

Or Abia where people are also proud of their towns like Abriba, ohafia, isuochi, Ngwá, umuahia, igbere, izu-Akoli etc

Imo people should take charge of their origin and stop simply hiding under owerri, okigwe and orlu zones
Seven local government claim Nsukka. Meanwhile Nsukka is just one town

1 Like

Re: RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) by Amah70: 1:16pm On May 24
Ttipsy:
Roads in Orlu
Please what are the street names of these roads in Orlu?
Or are the roads in the suburbs of Orlu?

1 Like

Re: RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) by Ttipsy(f): 1:38pm On May 24
Amah70:

Please what are the street names of these roads in Orlu?
Or are the roads in the suburbs of Orlu?
this is Umu-dioka road in orlu

2 Likes

Re: RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) by DNAPro: 1:46pm On May 24
Beremx:
Nothing can be done about it. It shall remain like that forever cheesy

No it cannot. Orsu is already getting popular.
Re: RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) by DNAPro: 1:48pm On May 24
Emlproperties:

1. Orlu
2. Akokwa
3. Umuaka
4. Oguta
5. Umundugba
6. Nkwerre
7. Amaigbo
8. Osina
9. Ekwe
10. Arondizuogu
11. Ohaji
12. Awo-Idemili
13. Ihioma
14. Mgbidi
15. Umuowa
16. Awo-Omamma
17. Nnenasa

Is Ihioma more popular than Orsu as we speak?
Re: RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) by Amah70: 2:44pm On May 24
DNAPro:

Is Ihioma more popular than Orsu as we speak?

Ihioma is Orsu but part of Orlu Municipal LGA. It's an old and very popular town. Ihioma houses the oldest all girls secondary school in Orlu.
Re: RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) by Juicegal(f): 9:39pm On Jun 06
hmmmmmmm.
Re: RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) by Trueigbo: 10:56pm On Jun 06
Emlproperties:

1. Orlu
2. Akokwa
3. Umuaka
4. Oguta
5. Umundugba
6. Nkwerre
7. Amaigbo
8. Osina
9. Ekwe
10. Arondizuogu
11. Ohaji
12. Awo-Idemili
13. Ihioma
14. Mgbidi
15. Umuowa
16. Awo-Omamma
17. Nnenasa

How can you mention all these without Urualla, Obodoukwu, Ntueke, isiekenesi
Re: RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) by Confirmedzombie: 1:15am On Jun 07
1n 1909, many ikwerres in Port Harcourt migrated into orlu, settled down there and became indigenes.

Orlu people are ikwerre people but you will never the igbos say this.

People don't know history and their roots. Ikwerres will soon reclaim orlu.
Re: RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) by Juicegal(f): 3:37pm On Jun 07
Confirmedzombie:
1n 1909, many ikwerres in Port Harcourt migrated into orlu, settled down there and became indigenes.

Orlu people are ikwerre people but you will never the igbos say this.

People don't know history and their roots. Ikwerres will soon reclaim orlu.
Troll
Re: RE: The Only City With 12 L.G.A Area In SS/SE (orlu) by Juicegal(f): 3:37pm On Jun 07
Trueigbo:

How can you mention all these without Urualla, Obodoukwu, Ntueke, isiekenesi
And many more

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Chief Dr Terkula Suswam Shot To Death By Some Unknown Gunmen / Sowore Caught Sleeping At Peace Meeting In Abuja / Ebonyi: PDP/APGA petitions fail as tribunal re-affirms APC's Nwifuru as Gov

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.