Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,371 members, 7,819,329 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:29 PM

Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau (5021 Views)

Mongonu Steps Down From Speakership Race, Endorses Gbajabiamilaa Re- Elected Mem / Certificate Saga: Withdraw From Presidential Race, PDP Tells Buhari / Fashola/Shekarau 2015 Presidential Ticket???? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau by rhythyson: 7:59am On Mar 31, 2011
Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau
31 Mar 2011

Prof. Pat Utomi
By Charles Ajunwa

The presidential candidate of the Social Democratic Mega Party (SDMP), Prof. Pat Utomi, has said he is withdrawing from the presidential election. He said he would on Thursday in Abuja submit his withdrawal letter to the leadership of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

Utomi also declared support for the presidential candidate of the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP) and Kano State Governor, Alhaji Ibrahim Shekarau, whom he openly asked his friends and supporters to vote for in the presidential election.

Making his intention known at a town hall meeting organised by his campaign organisation to deliberate on the state of the nation, held at a hotel in Ikoyi, Lagos yesterday, Prof. Utomi said his decision was informed among others, by the illegitimacy of the current Nigerian constitution which he attributed to being responsible for all the failings in the country.

The SDMP presidential candidate, who participated in the 2007 presidential election, said even with his withdrawal from the race, he remained committed to institution-building and would work with any person of goodwill to build a new Nigeria.

In a statement titled “Walking My Talk: A Cry For My Country”, Utomi regretted how his efforts to bring progressives in the country in the SDMP, ANPP, Action Congress of Nigeria (ANC) and Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) failed to produce one particular presidential candidate and running mate for the election.

He also said it was already too late to achieve all the set out goals of the progressives in the country to wrest power from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

Utomi, who said he did not want the presidency so badly, maintained that he had always made it clear that he was ready to step down for any presidential candidate whom he believed could live up to the promise, the hope and aspirations of the founding fathers of Nigeria.

According to him: “It doesn’t matter whether I’m a candidate or not,  if those ideas I have put together that I believe will take Nigeria to the next level are adopted and we have somebody else that is prepared in going forward, I’m satisfied to be part of the citizens contributing to the country going to a particular direction. I have been told by people like Chief Olu Falae ‘to stop doing this because it suggests that you don’t really want it bad.’ Nobody needs it badly.

“I’m standing here therefore to make that unequivocally clear that at the end of this meeting today, I’m sending a letter to INEC withdrawing myself from the process. The process made me to, given the sincerity of one of those people that were in that process with a clear articulation.

“His name is (Alhaji) Ibrahim Shekarau. And I’m not moving Shekarau as the ultimate candidate but I’m saying that I withdrew so that people who think he will make a difference can support Ibrahim Shekarau and if Shekarau feels that for the sake of Nigeria he needs to step aside for another person, all can be offered to whoever that person is.

“At this moment, I’m going to be stepping down from this place committing myself to constitutional reform in this country in building a brand new Nigeria that can live to the promise, hope and aspirations of our founding fathers. So far, we have not done well.”
http://allafrica.com/stories/201103310522.html
Re: Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau by enyojo(f): 8:27am On Mar 31, 2011
rhythyson:

Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau
31 Mar 2011
Views: 166

Font Size: a / A
Prof. Pat Utomi

By Charles Ajunwa

The presidential candidate of the Social Democratic Mega Party (SDMP), Prof. Pat Utomi, has said he is withdrawing from the presidential election. He said he would on Thursday in Abuja submit his withdrawal letter to the leadership of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

Utomi also declared support for the presidential candidate of the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP) and Kano State Governor, Alhaji Ibrahim Shekarau, whom he openly asked his friends and supporters to vote for in the presidential election.

Making his intention known at a town hall meeting organised by his campaign organisation to deliberate on the state of the nation, held at a hotel in Ikoyi, Lagos yesterday, Prof. Utomi said his decision was informed among others, by the illegitimacy of the current Nigerian constitution which he attributed to being responsible for all the failings in the country.

The SDMP presidential candidate, who participated in the 2007 presidential election, said even with his withdrawal from the race, he remained committed to institution-building and would work with any person of goodwill to build a new Nigeria.

In a statement titled “Walking My Talk: A Cry For My Country”, Utomi regretted how his efforts to bring progressives in the country in the SDMP, ANPP, Action Congress of Nigeria (ANC) and Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) failed to produce one particular presidential candidate and running mate for the election.

He also said it was already too late to achieve all the set out goals of the progressives in the country to wrest power from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

Utomi, who said he did not want the presidency so badly, maintained that he had always made it clear that he was ready to step down for any presidential candidate whom he believed could live up to the promise, the hope and aspirations of the founding fathers of Nigeria.

According to him: “It doesn’t matter whether I’m a candidate or not, if those ideas I have put together that I believe will take Nigeria to the next level are adopted and we have somebody else that is prepared in going forward, I’m satisfied to be part of the citizens contributing to the country going to a particular direction. I have been told by people like Chief Olu Falae ‘to stop doing this because it suggests that you don’t really want it bad.’ Nobody needs it badly.

“I’m standing here therefore to make that unequivocally clear that at the end of this meeting today, I’m sending a letter to INEC withdrawing myself from the process. The process made me to, given the sincerity of one of those people that were in that process with a clear articulation.

“His name is (Alhaji) Ibrahim Shekarau. And I’m not moving Shekarau as the ultimate candidate but I’m saying that I withdrew so that people who think he will make a difference can support Ibrahim Shekarau and if Shekarau feels that for the sake of Nigeria he needs to step aside for another person, all can be offered to whoever that person is.
“At this moment, I’m going to be stepping down from this place committing myself to constitutional reform in this country in building a brand new Nigeria that can live to the promise, hope and aspirations of our founding fathers. So far, we have not done well.”

THE STATEMENT IN BOLD IS MY PUNCH LINE.
I STRONGLY BELIEVE THAT SHEKARAU WILL TOE THE SAME PATH OF HONOUR TO WITHDRAW FOR BUHARI SINCE A FAR MORE ELOQUENT AND ARTICULATE CANDIDATE HAS JUST WITHDRAWN FOR HIM
Re: Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau by 10cirenoh: 8:39am On Mar 31, 2011
enyojo:

THE STATEMENT IN BOLD IS MY PUNCH LINE.
I STRONGLY BELIEVE THAT SHEKARAU WILL TOE THE SAME PATH OF HONOUR TO WITHDRAW FOR BUHARI SINCE A FAR MORE ELOQUENT AND ARTICULATE CANDIDATE HAS JUST WITHDRAWN FOR HIM

Here's how it's going to pan out, Shekarau and Ribadu are going to withdraw for Buhari at the last minute.

watch this space.
Re: Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau by enyojo(f): 9:03am On Mar 31, 2011
10cirenoh:

Here's how it's going to pan out, Shekarau and Ribadu are going to withdraw for Buhari at the last minute.

watch this space.

[size=13pt]THE DAY THAT HAPPENS, I WILL SEND YOU N1500 MTN RECHARGE CARD TO CELEBERATE IT[/size]

That's if u stay in Nigeria
Re: Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau by 10cirenoh: 9:28am On Mar 31, 2011
^^^

1500 is too small jor, i need 8000 worth of airtime tongue
Re: Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau by snowdrops(m): 10:31am On Mar 31, 2011
hope this is no april fool prank
Re: Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau by Nobody: 11:15am On Mar 31, 2011
Wise decision to quit!

but to support the ANPP candidate? No comment.
Re: Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau by ojeffo: 11:51am On Mar 31, 2011
the losers have seen hopeless hope in front of them,hence d withdrawal and advice of withdrawals
Re: Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau by software(m): 12:01pm On Mar 31, 2011
o je bi, was he hoping to win?
Re: Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau by juman(m): 12:05pm On Mar 31, 2011

At this moment, I’m going to be stepping down from this place committing myself to constitutional reform in this country in building a brand new Nigeria that can live to the promise, hope and aspirations of our founding fathers. So far, we have not done well

I don't know how can we achieve this (constitutional reform). HOW?

Trying is not bad, but I think the best way is to split the country.

Nigeria = Waste of time.
Re: Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau by PapaBrowne(m): 12:07pm On Mar 31, 2011
10cirenoh:

watch this space.

Una no understand politics at all!! Ribadu and Shekarau and even Utomi are posturing for 2015!! Their best shot would only come if GEJ wins this election!! I have watched Shekarau's moves and all I see in him is 2015!!! His goal is simple: divide Kano votes and help prevent a Buhari victory! That way in 2015 he stands a very strong chance!

Now enter Utomi: Endorse Shekarau today, then 2015 Shekarau picks you as his running mate!! Noww that would make an unresistatble perfect combo!!
These guys are smart trust me and they are all positioning themselves properly for the next election since the opposition failed from the onset to agree on a consensus candidate which  has given the PDP another free reign for the next 4 years!!!
Re: Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau by Nobody: 12:09pm On Mar 31, 2011
Why Shekarau?

Is this story reliable?
Re: Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau by ideylaff: 12:11pm On Mar 31, 2011
THE DAY THAT HAPPENS, I WILL SEND YOU N1500 MTN RECHARGE CARD TO CELEBERATE IT

@ enyojo make it 3 oooo, I can drive to gbagada 2 pick dem up, LOL
Re: Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau by Nobody: 12:12pm On Mar 31, 2011
Can somebody give me some credentials of this  Pat Utomi guy?

What is his track record?

Can he fight corruption?
Re: Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau by bigfat05: 12:31pm On Mar 31, 2011
stepped down becos he has been bribed or what could it be again ,y Shekarau is a hausa guy for that matter
Re: Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau by lekanfahd(m): 12:37pm On Mar 31, 2011
Sometimes one just wonder where all these is taking us to. For how long do we continue to make fool of ourself. Those that are crying to make changes end up to chicken out .They now make those that are interested in the change bid look stupid and at the end of the day, the so called-nonentity get to the top after which you see them crying for change again. If people like Pat Utomi knows they aint going far, why come on board in the first place? Why make people bellieve they are better off those in PDP. GUYS MAKE WE SHINE OUR EYES, ALL THESE PEOPLE WE ALL SHOUT AFTER ARE BIRDS OF A FEATHER, THEY ALL KNOW WHERE DEY RUN THINGS AND ITS ONLY THOSE OF US THAT ARE NOT WISE ENOUGH PUT ALL THIER HOPES IN THEM. GUYS WISEN UP, i dEY lAUGH iN sWAHILI
Re: Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau by happyday: 12:43pm On Mar 31, 2011
He's definitely toed the path of honor,may be ribadu and shekarau step down later but I really doubt that,but any day anytime,Patrick Utomi is an erudite par excellence.
Re: Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau by Johnnny(m): 12:46pm On Mar 31, 2011
GenBuhari:

Can somebody give me some credentials of this  Pat Utomi guy?

What is his track record?

Can he fight corruption?

WTF do you need his credentials for?  When he entered the race, you didnt ask for his credentials; now that he has quit the race you want to browse through his credentials.  Honestly, the guy took the right step in quiting, why continue on a venture you know will not end well given the corrupted ways we follow to elect our leaders.
Re: Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau by 10cirenoh: 12:50pm On Mar 31, 2011
PapaBrowne:

Una no understand politics at all!! Ribadu and Shekarau and even Utomi are posturing for 2015!! Their best shot would only come if GEJ wins this election!! I have watched Shekarau's moves and all I see in him is 2015!!! His goal is simple: divide Kano votes and help prevent a Buhari victory! That way in 2015 he stands a very strong chance!

Now enter Utomi: Endorse Shekarau today, then 2015 Shekarau picks you as his running mate!! Noww that would make an unresistatble perfect combo!!
These guys are smart trust me and they are all positioning themselves properly for the next election since the opposition failed from the onset to agree on a consensus candidate which  has given the PDP another free reign for the next 4 years!!!

Nah, not as you think, NOW that GEJ has refused to step down, it's BYE BYE to zoning, alot of people are going to spring up come 2015, alot of these current governors are going to be running for president come 2015, e.g Amaechi, Fashola, Akpabio, Saraki e.t.c, then we are going to have alot of people trying to win the heart of Nigerians by performing well between now and 2015.

One more thing, what we need now is someone who's going to put things back into order so that these new guys can perform excellently without some "crooked" system holding them back. Just like Utomi said, this current constitution and system is an epic fail, said people cannot perform under it hence the reason for his withdrawal, HE SO WANTED PDP to be defeated, hence the reason he labored for the amalgamation of opposition parties, he knows that anything PDP won't create that change he wishes for.

He also knows that Shekarau can't win, that's why he's expecting Shekarau to step down for another from the "progressive" side, he just does not want to give his endorsement straight to the only person we all know stand the chance of upsetting PDP.

Anyways April is already here, Nigeria is going to pass through one of her most trying moment in the history of Nigeria.

Watch this space.
Re: Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau by uglybetty: 12:54pm On Mar 31, 2011
I dey laugh oh.
Re: Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau by nvo5(f): 1:08pm On Mar 31, 2011
GenBuhari:

Why Shekarau?

Is this story reliable?
the story is reliable but not sure who he
endorsed.
Re: Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau by Mehiedu(m): 1:16pm On Mar 31, 2011
Politics indeed is a dirty game.
Re: Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau by ziccoit: 1:20pm On Mar 31, 2011
lekanfahd:

Sometimes one just wonder where all these is taking us to. For how long do we continue to make fool of ourself. Those that are crying to make changes end up to chicken out .They now make those that are interested in the change bid look silly and at the end of the day, the so called-nonentity get to the top after which you see them crying for change again. If people like Pat Utomi knows they aint going far, why come on board in the first place? Why make people bellieve they are better off those in PDP. GUYS MAKE WE SHINE OUR EYES, ALL THESE PEOPLE WE ALL SHOUT AFTER ARE BIRDS OF A FEATHER, THEY ALL KNOW WHERE DEY RUN THINGS AND ITS ONLY THOSE OF US THAT ARE NOT WISE ENOUGH PUT ALL THIER HOPES IN THEM. GUYS WISEN UP, i dEY lAUGH iN sWAHILI

SDMP=CPC=ACN=ANPP=PROGRESSIVES. Any of those party is going to perform if win the election.
Re: Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau by masterj1: 1:21pm On Mar 31, 2011
i am just thrilled by this news! Utomi can help our maro economic policy formulation and not through presidency.  I want a Fashola's Lagos state, buhari presidency, A Ribadu police force, a Shekarau power ministry and an Ogunleye Ministry of works. If this can work, we are in for a thrill.
Re: Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau by Nobody: 1:23pm On Mar 31, 2011
Is it true that Utomi was special advisor to Shagari?

We know Buhari overthrew Shagari, so could it me that Utomi is till holding a grudge against Buhari?

Hmmmmmmmmm, ?
Re: Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau by enyojo(f): 1:51pm On Mar 31, 2011
10cirenoh:

Nah, not as you think, NOW that GEJ has refused to step down, it's BYE BYE to zoning, alot of people are going to spring up come 2015, alot of these current governors are going to be running for president come 2015, e.g Amaechi, Fashola, Akpabio, Saraki e.t.c, then we are going to have alot of people trying to win the heart of Nigerians by performing well between now and 2015.

One more thing, what we need now is someone who's going to put things back into order so that these new guys can perform excellently without some "crooked" system holding them back. Just like Utomi said, this current constitution and system is an epic fail, said people cannot perform under it hence the reason for his withdrawal, HE SO WANTED PDP to be defeated, hence the reason he labored for the amalgamation of opposition parties, he knows that anything PDP won't create that change he wishes for.

He also knows that Shekarau can't win, that's why he's expecting Shekarau to step down for another from the "progressive" side, he just does not want to give his endorsement straight to the only person we all know stand the chance of upsetting PDP.

Anyways April is already here, Nigeria is going to pass through one of her most trying moment in the history of Nigeria.

Watch this space.

[size=15pt]THIS POLITICAL CALCULATION MAKES MORE SENSE TO ME THAN[/size]

PapaBrowne:

These guys are smart trust me and they are all positioning themselves properly for the next election since the opposition failed from the onset to agree on a consensus candidate which has given the PDP another free reign for the next 4 years!!!
Re: Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau by omo9ja1(m): 1:54pm On Mar 31, 2011
well that seems a good move, we have to wait and see what happen next, this was a man that went on TV saying we should crash nigeria system lol
Re: Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau by enyojo(f): 1:54pm On Mar 31, 2011
10cirenoh:

^^^

1500 is too small jor, i need 8000 worth of airtime tongue

N8000 AIR-TIME IS TOO MUCH FOR STEPPING DOWN.
I CAN SEND THAT IF BUHARI WINS, IF SHAKARA-U and RIBAD-U  STEP DOWN, THEN N1500 MTN/GLO IS YOURS
cross my heart lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau by johnjoel(m): 1:55pm On Mar 31, 2011
buhari all the way
Re: Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau by 10cirenoh: 2:12pm On Mar 31, 2011
enyojo:

N8000 AIR-TIME IS TOO MUCH FOR STEPPING DOWN.
I CAN SEND THAT IF BUHARI WINS, IF SHAKARA-U and RIBAD-U  STEP DOWN, THEN N1500 MTN/GLO IS YOURS
cross my heart lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

N8k for 3 presidential candidates stepping down for BB? haba, thats not too much, if BB wins, then you should be thinking of offering something better? undecided

Maybe we get to go watch BB getting sworn in LIVE and DIRECT? tongue tongue tongue
Re: Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau by Kayman3(m): 2:35pm On Mar 31, 2011
master j:

i am just thrilled by this news! Utomi can help our maro economic policy formulation and not through presidency.  I want a Fashola's Lagos state, buhari presidency, A Ribadu police force, a Shekarau power ministry and an Ogunleye Ministry of works. If this can work, we are in for a thrill.

And Dora to head NCS Nigeria Custom Service
Re: Utomi Quits Presidential Race, Endorses Shekarau by jamest3(m): 2:41pm On Mar 31, 2011
How did he get so wrong, somebody help that man coz I still like him grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

LAUTECH Former VC, Prof. Akinola Salau Is Dead [see Photo] / The Difference Between Presidency Budget In 2015 And 2016 / Three Abducted INEC Ad-hoc Staff In Katsina Regain Freedom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.