Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,963 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:12 AM

Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) (4011 Views)

Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Two (by Kayode Odusanya) / Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) / Life Of A Shy Guy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 9:30am On Jan 11, 2021
Hello guys. I will be posting 1-2 chapters of this story per week. Apart from the first chapter, the other chapters will be quite long. I have been away for a long time, and I want to get warmed up by this series, cos it is easier to write in first person point of view. I have an uncompleted story (https://www.nairaland.com/6048642/end...the-beginning-romance-novelette-kayode) ...I will complete it pretty soon.

If you haven't read the first and second parts of this book series (or if you have forgotten the story), you can do so before you read this.

https://www.nairaland.com/4960053/diary-shy-college-kid-year

https://www.nairaland.com/5196882/diary-shy-college-kid-year
Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 9:32am On Jan 11, 2021
Chapter 1: The First Day of Year 3

I always believed my third year at the University would be the most fun, because I would be more experienced, and it would be the year before the final year when I had to worry about writing my project. I was right. Year 3 was the most fun year I had at the University of Lagos.

The first day of Year 3 was great because I was seeing my friends again, after a long break. A lot of people had gained weight; some had grown taller. Practically everyone now had a mobile phone, and a lot more people had cars. Girls were a lot more attractive, and I was tempted to break my rule of no dating within my department.

Apart from being happy to see all my friends again, the other thing that brought me joy was my year 2 results. First and second semester results were pasted at the department notice board, with matriculation numbers and names visible. I had never been so proud of myself the way I was that day. For the total of eighteen courses between the two semesters, I had ten A’s, five B’s, and three C’s. I smiled from ear to ear staring at that notice board for minutes, till my friend Sope shouted out my name as he approached from the other side of the corridor. Our friend, Georgie had scored a perfect 5 and was going out to celebrate. That is, he had all As between the two semesters.

We ran down the stairs, taking them two at a time, in excitement. I knew how hard we read for the exams, and it was great to see that our hard work had paid off real good, even more than we had expected. At least more than I had expected, judging from my awful year one results.

Sope and I got to the open space car park at the back of the Art building that housed our department and started looking around for Georgie’s white Mercedes Benz. The place had three rolls of parked cars, with the last roll just before the swamp that housed a colony of monkeys. On some days, the monkeys would go on a rampage in the Art building, kicking down waste bins all over the place as they looked for food.

“Hey Sope.” I heard a familiar female voice call out and I turned around to see Debby waving at Sope from the driver seat of a black Toyota Corolla. The car engine was so silent, and I didn’t know when it got beside us. My heart skipped a beat. She was still as beautiful as ever, and the lip gloss on her luscious lips made them shine under the sun. Her smile melted my heart. I had almost forgotten she existed till just now. “Hi K.” She greeted me with a quick smile as she navigated to a parking spot close by. Sope went over to talk to her, while I continued the search for Georgie’s Benz.

Although I fumbled things with us in Year One, all my friends still remained pretty close with her. It was always awkward when I had to walk away whenever we ran into her on campus.

I hadn’t walked far when a head popped out of a grey saloon car I had just walked by. It was Babatope at the passenger’s side of a grey Peugeot 406, laughing at the fact that I had just walked past them without noticing he and Georgie were the ones in the car. He pushed his glasses up to his nose bridge before getting back in the car, still laughing.

“Nice!” I said out of excitement as I walked over to the driver’s side of the car. “Double celebration.” I added as I shook Georgie’s hand and leaned into the car window to check it out. It smelt of lavender, and the interior was quite neat.

“It’s my dad’s car bro.” Georgie said as he started up the car, and unlocked the car doors from the control board by his door armrest. “Where is Sope?”

“He is umm…he is talking to Debby.” I said as I got into the back seat of the car.

“Kunle, what’s up with you and Debby? Are you still in love with her?” Babatope said. I ignored him, and he started laughing again.

“So, where are we headed?” I asked Georgie.

“Umm…” He was about to say something when Sope ran past the car. He stopped running when he heard Babatope’s laugh. He looked back and a big smile appeared on his face.

“Correct! New semester, new car.” Sope said as he walked excitedly to the car.

“Sope, na my papa car o.” Georgie said in broken English with a light laugh as he and Sope greeted with three hand slaps.

“Your dad’s car, your car, all the same.” Sope said as he got into the car and slammed the door. I had scooted over for him to get in. “Straight to Savannah!” He said out loud, and Babatope drummed on the dashboard, full of excitement. I couldn’t help but smile. There was something really exciting about the anticipation of a drinking session with your boys, especially after being apart for so long.

We drove past Debby on our way out of the car park, and she greeted everyone again. I turned around to take a look at her one more time as the car picked up speed. She was still slim but had added some weight, in all the right places. She had on a black, loose fitting gown that stopped just above her knee, and she looked more mature than I had ever seen her. I found myself desiring her all over again. ‘Will this be the year I get her back?’ I thought to myself.

Only time can tell. Only time can tell.

3 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) by OlufemiWhit(m): 7:24pm On Jan 11, 2021
Finally....i might have to read book 2 again tho....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) by EkopSparoAyara(m): 7:35pm On Jan 11, 2021
Kayo80 is back.. Let me go and read..

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 7:36am On Jan 15, 2021
Chapter 2: Sope, Teni, and I

Sope and I had a lot of friends in the Economics department and we spent a lot of time there at the beginning of Year 3. There was this lanky girl that would always wind up in the mix whenever we had conversations with our friends over there. Teni wore glasses, looked like a nerd, but was quite knowledgeable about a lot of things asides academics.

Our friendship with Teni grew over time, and after a while we would go to her department solely to see her. Sope and I stayed in the same room, and when we found out our hostel was next to Teni’s hostel, the three of us started walking back from class together every day. Sometimes we would go up to her room and spend some time with her. She had an obsession with perfumes, and her locker was filled with expensive ones from Davidoff Cool Water to Ralph Lauren perfumes. Teni wasn’t the typical fashion craze Unilag babe, so this was shocking to me. She was really an interesting girl.

The more time we spent together, the closer we became. Teni was an intelligent good girl that never dressed provocatively and attended fellowship regularly. I never saw her as Sope’s type. But one day, I got into a play fight with her while the three of us sat on her bed and was surprised when Sope said, “Hey, don’t play with papa’s girl like that.” I looked in his eyes and I saw he was serious. He really did like her more than just a friend. From that day on, she was Sope’s girl to me, and I treated her accordingly.

Even though Sope and Teni slowly became a couple, we were more of a trio. We went everywhere together. And after class, she would sometimes come over to our room and spend hours before heading over to her hostel. On non-school nights, we would spend hours listening to slow music, while sipping on a mix of dark sailor rum and milk. We always had something to talk about.

Sope was studying another course at the Lagos State Polytechnic, concurrently with the one he was studying at University of Lagos, so he would be away on some days. On those days, I would be alone with Teni. On one of those nights, while going to catch up with Teni for a night reading session, I bumped into Debby at the entrance of the art block building. She had on a white fitted gown, and her dark black hair was packed to the back in a bun. We greeted casually and she asked if I had seen my friend, Dare. They were supposed to be reading together, and she couldn’t find him. She was still cool with most of my friends, but she was closest to Dare. I said no to her question, and we went in opposite directions.

Teni was sitting in the front row of my scanty, fluorescent lit lecture hall. Her head was buried in her book, and she had her black backpack beside her, which she had obviously used to reserve a sitting space for me. She had on a white tee shirt, with a denim jacket on top of it that looked a little too big for her. Her face lit up when she saw me, and she smiled as she pushed her glasses higher up her noose. I took the seat beside, and she gave me a playful punch on my side, asking why I was late. We caught up on things for a few minutes, before focusing on studying. Apart from being her friend, I also played the role of assistant boyfriend whenever Sope wasn’t around. I didn’t mind playing that role, because she was a cool person to be with, and I knew in my mind I had no ulterior motive; it was just plain platonic friendship.

We hadn’t been in the place more than ten minutes when Dare and Debby walked in. I got up to greet Dare, while Debby went to the back of the class to get them a seat. The class was quiet, so we didn’t do much talking before he went to join Debby.

After about an hour of reading, Teni said she wanted to take a short nap, and she set her phone alarm for 30 minutes. She took off her glasses and she laid her head on my lap. Within a few minutes, I could tell she had fallen asleep from her breathing.

When her phone alarm went off 30 minutes later, I couldn’t believe half an hour had gone by so fast. She stretched, smiled at me with squinted eyes before saying thank you. After wearing her glasses, her hands went into her jacket, and she pulled out a breath mint. “Do you want one?” She asked, holding up the green, rectangular shaped pack. I took one of the mints in the pack of five, and as I unwrapped it my eyes went to the blackboard in front of us. Someone had written ‘I love girls with big booty’ at the bottom of the board. I cracked a smile thinking of who in my class could have written that. Teni followed my gaze, and I was amazed at how fast she saw what had made me laugh. She smiled and turned to ask me in a low voice, “Do you like girls with big booty too?” I just laughed lightly and went back to reading.

I suddenly felt the urge to drink something, and when I told Teni I was stepping out to get a drink, she asked me to please get her a Coke. As I got off my seat and stretched, I turned around and gave Dare a peace sign greeting. Debby’s head was buried in her books.

I cracked my neck as I walked out the lecture hall. The fresh sea breeze that hit my face felt good. I stopped for a second to take it in before moving forward. A lot of people were coming up the stairs as I descended, and I guessed they were people planning to read all night. That had never been my thing. 7-10pm daily had always been enough for me to cover everything I needed to read for the night.

The vending machine was by the foot of the staircase; a few feet to the right. As I walked to it, Dare appeared from the corridor directly facing it. It was odd seeing him there when I had just left him in class, but I guessed he took the west wing stairwell. “K!” He shouted out as he detoured to meet me halfway. He had this thing where he sometimes spoke in a different mood than what he was really feeling. We shook hands and as we headed to the vending machine, he said, “Debby asked if Teni was your girlfriend.”

“What?” I said, shocked. I stopped for a second, before continuing my walk.

“Yeah.” He said as he approached the vending machine. He pulled out a hundred naira note out his jeans pocket as he strengthened it out, he added, “I told her you weren’t dating, but she didn’t believe me.”

“She didn’t believe you?” I said, standing behind him now, as he put the money in the machine.

“Yeah. I told her Teni was Sope’s girlfriend, but she said I was lying.”

“Why?”

“I don’t know.” He said with a little chuckle. His coke rolled out and he assumed a squatting position as he picked up the bottle. “What’s up with Sope?”

“He umm…he went home. He will be back tomorrow.” I said, still lost in thought as I moved up to use the vending machine.

“Oh shoot! I forgot.” Dare said under his breath.

“What?”

“Nothing. I forgot I had to buy Gala outside.”

“Okay.” I answered, wondering why that was such a big deal.

“They also sell Coke there, and the woman would be pissed I didn’t buy from her.”

“Oh.”

“Anyway, I have to go K. See you later.” He said and tapped my shoulder before running off.

I was lost in thought as I walked up the stairs with the drinks in my hand. Is this a sign that I still had a chance with Debby? I thought to myself. Another part of my mind said, don’t be a fool. You messed it up from the start, and you would do worse if you try again.

When I walked into the class, Debby was looking towards the door, and she slowly averted her eyes when our eyes met. I guess she thought it was Dare walking in. I sat down, and handed Teni her drink. She said thank you, uncapped it and took a sip. And then she said in a low voice, “Is that Dare’s girlfriend?”

“No. They’re just friends.” I answered, wondering why she was asking me that. Even though they were in the same department, Dare and Teni weren’t that close. Their connection was through Sope and I.
“Okay.” She said and took another sip from her drink.

“You know what?” I said in a low voice and paused, wondering if I should tell her. She urged me on with her eyes. “She actually asked Dare if we were dating.”

Teni’s eyes grew bigger, and I could tell she fought the urge to turn around and look at Debby. Just then, Dare walked in and greeted us with a salute before heading to his seat. There was a little chatter at the back, and I heard Debby laugh and then muffle her laugh. I knew it had nothing to do with us, but I still tried to eavesdrop on what they were saying.

When the class got quiet again, Teni tapped my hand lightly, and when I looked her way, she asked, “Is the girl also your friend?”

“Yeah, sort of.” I answered, but I could tell from the way she looked at me she wasn’t satisfied with that answer, so I went on with, “Well, we were kind of a thing for a minute back in the day.”

“Hmm. That’s interesting.” She said and looked into space for a few seconds before adding, “She still likes you.”

“What?”

“She still likes you. If she didn’t, she wouldn’t be bothered with knowing if I was your girlfriend.”

“I don’t think so Teni. She’s just curious, that’s all.”

“Trust me Kunle. I’m a girl. I know what I’m saying.”

I didn’t say anything after that, and we read in silence for the rest of the night.

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) by EkopSparoAyara(m): 10:02am On Jan 15, 2021
So, am a bit disconnected, am trying to connect the dots about Kunle and Debby, how they started dating, why they broke up but my memory has failed to avail me those informations.. I guess I'll just have to go back to reading the previous books..

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 10:13am On Jan 15, 2021
EkopSparoAyara:
So, am a bit disconnected, am trying to connect the dots about Kunle and Debby, how they started dating, why they broke up but my memory has failed to avail me those informations.. I guess I'll just have to go back to reading the previous books..

Yeah...just read chapter 1&2 of the first book to get the story.

Here is a link to the first part of the series https://www.nairaland.com/4960053/diary-shy-college-kid-year
Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) by KhalifaDam: 9:42pm On Jan 15, 2021
Thanks for the continuation of this story..

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) by EkopSparoAyara(m): 10:33pm On Jan 15, 2021
kayo80:

Yeah...just read chapter 1&2 of the first book to get the story.

Here is a link to the first part of the series https://www.nairaland.com/4960053/diary-shy-college-kid-year

I have a better picture now.. Let's roll..

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 4:29pm On Jan 18, 2021
Chapter 3: The Unexpected

Whenever I see her, my heart beat faster, and my palms would become sweaty. But today was one of those days when my shyness took a back seat and allowed a confident Kunle to take center stage.

“Hey, Kunle, how are you doing?” Debby said with a smile as she leaned on the wall next to me. We were on the corridor, outside our noisy and crowded lecture hall.

“I’m cool. How was your weekend?” I asked as my eyes focused on the words, Just Do It written on the white tee shirt she had on.

“Good. Good.” She said, and the conversation flowed from there on. On a normal day, she would have greeted me and kept it moving. But I had sent her a text over the weekend, basically saying I didn’t like how things had gotten awkward between us over the years, and how I would love to sit down and just talk to her like old times again. I didn’t know how she would react to the text message, because all I got in response was an ‘okay.’ But from her demeanor today, it was clear the text had worked like a charm.

It was almost like I took a time machine back to year one, right before I made that blunder of telling her that her friend had asked me to ask her out. I cringe every time I think of how stupid I was to have said that to her.

She was telling me how she had gotten her car seized last week by the school security team for crashing into the road median, and knocking down some of the rectangular white and black painted concrete slabs that were used to divide the road leading to the campus gate. I volunteered to help her talk to someone I knew there, but she let me know she got the car back a few hours ago.

As we continued to talk about anything and everything, I saw a lot of our class mates walk past us with surprised looks on their faces. The ones that knew about our past were shocked to see us finally able to stand each other. And the ones that didn’t know were surprised to see me talking to a girl.

When the first lecturer for the day showed up, we walked into class together, and said our goodbyes as went over to our separate sitting positions; me at the back and her in front. I sat next to my friend, Babatope, and he kept bugging me, asking if Debby and I were back together. I was lost in thought; thinking of what would happen from here. Should I ask her out on a date after class, or should I wait till tomorrow. Or maybe I should do nothing, and see if she would reach out to me. At least I was the one that reached out this time around. Honestly, even though I was now in year 3, I was still somewhat a novice in matters that concerned the opposite sex.

……….

After classes that day, she walked out of the lecture hall with her crew, engrossed in a discussion they were having and I decided not to bug her. I would call her later in the evening, and maybe take her out to the chicken and chips spot close to her hostel. It was close enough to walk to, that way I wouldn’t have to worry about her suggesting we take her car. My ego wouldn’t let me ride in the passenger seat of her car.

I was still deep in thought on how I was going to spend the evening with Debby when my phone started buzzing on the table. It was Teni calling. I picked up and I could tell from her voice she had been crying. She wanted to know if I was in my room as she needed someone to talk to. I told her I was on my way and would be there in five minutes. When I ended the call, I picked my books up from the desk and stuffed them in my bag as I hurried out of the lecture hall. My mind raced, wondering what could be wrong.

Outside my department building, I broke into a run in the direction of my hostel. My heavy backpack won’t let me keep to the pace for too long, and I slowed down to a fast walking pace. I was there in about three minutes, and I saw her standing by the entrance, with her head bowed. She looked up and tried to force a smile when she saw me, but she broke into a cry. I walked up to her, and pulled her away from prying eyes, towards the hostel car park. It wasn’t visiting hours yet, and I couldn’t take her inside.

“What’s the matter? What happened?” I enquired leaning on a black VW Golf 3. She kept crying, with her head still bowed, and I had to hold her in an embrace and just let her cry for a few minute. Was she pregnant? Did someone die? Did someone beat her? I couldn’t think of what could be wrong.

She pulled away after a while and she wiped her tears. Still not looking up at me, she went on to say, “My roommates said I was promiscuous…that I was dating two guys at once.” I was wondering why that would make her cry, or why her roommates would say that about her, and then I remembered Jack, her ex-boyfriend. The guy had been a problem for Sope lately. He didn’t want to let her go, and would even sometimes come to our room to check on her. What made it worse was that Teni would sometimes give him audience. Her excuse was that he was weak and she didn’t want him to hurt himself.

She was talking in a low voice now, telling me how she cherished her reputation, and how being indirectly called a slot was too much for her to handle. I knew for a fact that she and Sope hadn’t gone past a few kisses now and then, but her roommates might think she was having sex with Sope every time she came to our place. I was sure that was what really hurt her.

Sope met us at the spot a few minutes later. She was in better shape then, but he could still tell something was wrong. “What’s up?” He asked, with his eyes on me as he approached us. She went into his arms, and just stayed there, quiet. It was past 4pm now and I suggested that we go up to our room.

There was power outage, and I led the way through the dark, poorly ventilated hostel hallway. Teni started talking in a low voice, filling Sope in on what had happened as we headed up the stairs to our floor.

The first thing I did when I walked into our room was open the windows, and let in fresh air. And just as we were settling in, we heard the loud sound of a car coming to a screeching halt. Everything was silent for a few seconds, and all of a sudden, we heard the sound of chaos outside. I rushed out of the room to see what was going on.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) by EkopSparoAyara(m): 12:39am On Jan 19, 2021
Teni still has a soft spot for her ex, Jack, just like her I also wish her friends could see things differently, the right way..

Chaos outside, what could it be this time.. I hope Debby hasn't gotten into trouble again..

BRAVO KAYO80

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 8:48am On Jan 19, 2021
EkopSparoAyara:
Teni still has a soft spot for her ex, Jack, just like her I also wish her friends could see things differently, the right way..

Chaos outside, what could it be this time.. I hope Debby hasn't gotten into trouble again..

BRAVO KAYO80

Thanks. Your comments keep me writing.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) by EkopSparoAyara(m): 7:16pm On Jan 19, 2021
kayo80:

Thanks. Your comments keep me writing.

Oh, wow, I am glad I help uplift your Spirit as well..

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 2:36pm On Jan 24, 2021
Chapter 4: The Unexpected (Part 2)

My hostel was along the main double carriage road leading to the University gate, and the road was currently filled with rioting students. I couldn’t believe it was the same road I had just walked through from class. Word on the street was that the student union president had received a call from the VC over a pressing issue, and during the call he had slumped and died. To me it was a coincidence; the SUG president could have been dealing with a terminal illness. But to thousands of students, the VC had killed him through the phone.

It was dark now, but the street lights were turned on, along the median of the road. I could see people coming out of their hostels in droves and joining the protest. Cars suspected to be owned by top University officials were vandalized as the rioting crowd matched through the streets. Sope had taken Debby to her hostel, but I had decided to join the protest and see where it would lead. I still couldn’t believe this was happening. I saw people I knew to be cool headed turn violent, smashing signboards and screaming at the top of their lungs for justice. The school security patrol vans were nowhere in sight. I didn’t even know who was leading the riot as it had branched out like tributaries of a river into roads off the main road. I followed the crowd that diverted to the road that went through the popular Moremi hall and was surprised to see even females from the hostel joining the crowd. It was like a spirit had possessed everyone in school. The University of Lagos I had grown to know had students that loved to party and have fun. I didn’t know there was this much ‘Aluta’ spirit in students.

I turned back when I noticed the final destination of the crowd I was following was the home of the VC. The last thing I wanted was to be named as one of the students that stormed the VC’s residence and vandalized his property. As I made my way back through the well lit, debris filled road, it was like a tornado had gone through the place. Broken glass, trash, and broken pieces of wood littered the floor. I wondered what would be the end of this. I knew it wouldn’t end well. What would be the logic behind the riot and all the destruction? Would students look at the faces of people on a panel and say that the VC had somehow used black magic to kill the student union president? It didn’t make sense, and I knew we were all going to suffer for this.

I saw my friend, Dare outside Moremi Hall gate as I made my way back. He had his back to me, and was talking to a dark skin girl wearing a leopard skin gown. The girl’s eyes grew bigger as I sneaked up on him from behind, and I made a shush sign to her with my index finger on my lips. She complied and continued her conversation with Dare

“Boo!” I made a loud sound as I grabbed and shook Dare by the shoulders. He was visibly tensed from the way his body vibrated. He turned around with frightened look on his face as the girl and I laughed at how scared he looked. A frown appeared on his face when he saw it was me, and then he cracked a smile. I spoke to him a little about what was going on, and continued the journey to my hostel. I wanted to get Sope’s opinion on what was going on.

As I headed back to my hall, walking through small groups of students still heading in the opposite direction, I couldn’t help but think of the girl I had seen Dare talking to. I had noticed her around campus a few times; ending up in the same cab with her, or at the same canteen. She was a dark skin beauty, with a calm demeanor I found really attractive. Earlier on would have been the perfect time to get to know her officially, but I was too shy to even look at her, let alone talk to her. And Dare was too startled after I scared him, he forgot his manners, or else he would have introduced us.

As I walked into my hostel, and headed down the noisy hallway, filled with hyped up guys shouting at the top of their lungs and banging on lockers, she was all I could think of. Even Debby didn’t have this effect on me. Her face was on the screen of my mind; dreamy eyes, teeth white as snow, black skin smooth and shiny. Somebody bumped into me hard and said sorry. He was gone before I could turn around to react. I was more pissed at him for distorting my thoughts than anything else.

I walked up the stairs to my hostel room floor slowly, with a shift in thought. My mind had now gone back to the rioting students. To destroy things is easy, to rebuild is always the hard part. I thought of all the damages that would be done on school property before the end of the night, and how it would most definitely affect our school year, one way or the other.

My room was empty when I walked in, and I wondered if Sope was still with Debby, or if he had joined the protest too. I thought to call him, but changed my mind. Wherever he was, it would be best if he doesn’t bring out his phone. As I lay on the mattress by the window, I realized how much I needed rest. The long walk around school had left me exhausted. I grabbed the remote of our CD player on the rug next to me and pressed the power button. Low tempo R&B music played at a low volume seconds later. I adjusted the pillow underneath my head a few times till it was comfortable enough, and stared at the spinning ceiling fan as my mind wondered back to the dark skin girl. Within minutes, I had fallen asleep.

3 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 4:59pm On Jan 27, 2021
Chapter 5: The End and a New Beginning

Just as I thought, there were consequences for the protest. The very next day after the riots, mobile police men with vans and tankers came into school and commanded all students to vacate the campus. Students tried to resist the order and fight back, but when teargas canisters started flying in the air, majority retreated. Before night fall that day, the school was practically empty. Everyone had gone home.

We were now on an unexpected break. I thought it would be for a couple of weeks, but we ended up staying home for about three months. During that period, information was passed to us that each student was going to pay a certain amount towards renovation of damaged school properties before he or she would be admitted back as a student of the University of Lagos. I thought it was not fair that everyone had to pay, even though some students had not participated in the vandalism, but there was no other way around it. The majority of students were involved, and so everyone was going to suffer the consequences of their actions.

After the first couple of weeks of restlessness, I decided to register at a gym close to my house. Most of my friends went there daily, and it cost just five hundred Naira a month to register. I would go there every morning, lift weights, and spend some time talking music with some of my friends afterwards. At first, I saw no results. I was still the same lanky dude. But after about a month of lifting weights, I would notice my chest jingling as I ran up the stairs at home. Or, someone would stop to compliment my new physique. The compliments made me even more dedicated to the gym life.

By the time school resumed, I was an entirely different person physically. The weight lifting had increased my appetite for food, so not only did I gain muscle, I gained weight too. I didn’t have the physique of a wrestler, but I couldn’t be called skinny any longer.

Another thing I had done during the break was become friends with the girl I had seen with my friend Dare during the protests in school. Her name was Victoria, and she was actually in the same department as Dare. I would call or send her a text every single day. With time, she no longer waited for me to call, she would call first. By then, I knew she was hooked.

On the first day of school after the shutdown, we agreed to meet at the screening hall. I was on a long queue when her call came in, but I ignored it. Even though we had spoken to each other practically every day for the last 3 months, it was now time to see face to face and I was nervous. When I was done with my screening that afternoon, I called her and suggested that we meet at Dare’s house.

Dare’s dad was a professor, and he lived on campus at the senior staff quarters. I was sitting on my mom’s Camry outside Dare’ house, watching some guys play football on the field across the road from Dare’s house when I caught view of her approaching from my right. She smiled and packed her braids to the back when she saw me. My heart started racing and I had to take a few deep breaths to calm myself.

She had on black jeans, and a sky blue tee shirt.
“We finally get to meet in person.” I said and got off the car I was sitting on.

“Yes.” She said with a little laugh as we hugged.

“Are you done with your screening?” I asked and she nodded. I noticed she was focused on something ahead. I followed her gaze, and saw she was looking at the guys on the field playing football. Maybe she knew one of them, I thought to myself.

Seeing for the first time was awkward at first, and I couldn’t look in her eyes. She was more comfortable than I was, and with time this made me less nervous. We were deep into a discussion when I noticed one of the guys on the field approaching us. She excused herself for a moment to meet the guy halfway. He was all sweaty, in shorts and mud stained singlet. She joked about him looking like a herdsman; they both laughed and spoke for a few minutes before she returned to my side. We spoke for a while, before she said she had to get back to her department.

While driving our faculty building, I asked her who the guy from earlier was, and she very casually said he was her boyfriend. My heart sank; I was silent for a couple of seconds. And then I continued the conversation, acting unbothered. But deep down, I was heartbroken. The girl I was just starting to like and thought I had a future with had a boyfriend. I wondered why it had never come up during our conversations in the past. And I stunned that her boyfriend had no problem with his girl hanging out with another guy. From the look on his face earlier on when he greeted me, he didn’t look like he gave a care in the world that she was with me. I was confused.

After dropping her off at our faculty building, I drove straight home. I was in no mood to hang around school any longer.

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) by Olabantu(m): 10:16pm On Jan 31, 2021
It been a long long while I made a comment here but Boss Kayo you just too Sabi sir. I dey always feel you. Thanks for bringing me back to NL literature

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) by EkopSparoAyara(m): 11:37pm On Feb 06, 2021
I've been busy for a while now.. I came and meet double updates, awesome..

Dude is falling in lust already with Victoria..
You just have to shoot your shot bro, some of them are taken but they're taken for granted!

BRAVO KAYO80

3 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 4:40pm On Feb 07, 2021
Olabantu:
It been a long long while I made a comment here but Boss Kayo you just too Sabi sir. I dey always feel you. Thanks for bringing me back to NL literature

And thanks for your comment. Comments and likes keep us Nairaland writers writing.
Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 4:40pm On Feb 07, 2021
EkopSparoAyara:
I've been busy for a while now.. I came and meet double updates, awesome..

Dude is falling in lust already with Victoria..
You just have to shoot your shot bro, some of them are taken but they're taken for granted!

BRAVO KAYO80

Salute.

1 Like

Short chapter coming up.
Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 4:41pm On Feb 07, 2021
Chapter 6: Getting to Know Victoria (Part 1)

Hostels were closed indefinitely, so everyone came from home. I drove to school every day in a navy blue 1987 Mazda 323 that once belonged to my grand ma. After she passed on during the break, there was a unanimous decision among family members that I keep the car, since I was the one driving my mom to the hospital every day while my grandma was hospitalized. I loved my grandma very much, but I was happy she had gone to rest. She had been in so much pain from a hip injury she had sustained earlier in the year. Surgery would have killed her because of her old age, and frail state, so the doctors nursed her till she passed away peacefully in her sleep.

Coming from home changed everything. My friends and I weren’t as close as we were once were, because people now hung out more with people that lived around their neighborhood as they went home together. I became a bit of a loner during this period; except for times I spent with Victoria, most of the time, I was alone with my thoughts. I started writing in a journal because I had never had time to really be retrospective with my life, because I was either numbing my pain with booze or hanging out with friends; there had never been a time for deep reflections on some of my past actions.

My journal had a lot of entries of times spent with Victoria. We had started hanging out after classes a lot. I would go over to her department, or she would come over to see me, and we would talk about everything and anything. Really, it didn’t matter what we talked about, as long as we were together. It was clear she really enjoyed my company, and her genuine smile always warmed my heart. I was slowly falling in love, and I suspected she was too.

Victoria was an introvert like me, but loved to talk when she was with someone she was comfortable with. She always said things that made me laugh. It wasn’t that she was a funny person, but the way she would say some things, or the fact that I didn’t expect her to know some things she spoke about always made me laugh. With time, I discovered I had created my world around her. Nothing or no one else mattered to me when I was with her. And when I wasn’t with her, I was thinking about her. Thoughts of her were always enough to keep me happy till we saw again.

Not only did Victoria have a great personality, she also had a great body. Even though she never dressed to show it off, there were days when she would wear a top that would show her upper body endowment, or she would wear jeans that would show her lower body curves. The fact that she didn’t intentionally show off her body made me like her even more.

The topic of her boyfriend never came up again, and I totally forgot he even existed. I just enjoyed every day with her, not bothering myself with when this whole thing would come to an end; I didn’t know what it was as we weren’t in a relationship, but I spent more time with her than anyone else. One day, I paid her a visit at home. Her real home was in Warri, Delta state, but she stayed with her relatives close to campus whenever school was in session. She wasn’t comfortable with me going into the house, so we stayed outside the gate to talk. I was parked opposite her house, and we were leaning on my Mazda talking when a girl from my class walked past and greeted me. I was surprised when she also greeted Victoria with a smile; it was clear they knew each other. I didn’t think anything of it at the time, but that day changed everything.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) by EkopSparoAyara(m): 10:13pm On Feb 08, 2021
What could have happened, what changed everything that day?
I will soon know!

BRAVO KAYO80

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) by HORLADSTAR(m): 6:10pm On Feb 09, 2021
Anticipating for what changed
Nice work here Mr kayo80

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) by Twelvedemon12(m): 8:03am On Feb 10, 2021
Glued

But what changed
Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) by abubakarbabang7(m): 2:08pm On May 12, 2021
Kayo80 how far na??
Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 6:17pm On May 12, 2021
abubakarbabang7:
Kayo80 how far na??

Life happened.

Besides, I wasn't getting enough comments or likes on this particular story, and felt unmotivated to continue.

Anyway, I have made it a principle now to fully complete a story before I start posting, and make sure I finish posting the whole story within 2 weeks tops. With that said, I am currently working on a new story and I should start posting by the end of the month.

About completing the two uncompleted stories I have on here, I can't say when that would be...I am fully focused on the new story I am currently working on.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) by dayborlee(m): 8:54pm On May 12, 2021
Move on brother

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) by abubakarbabang7(m): 9:21pm On May 12, 2021
Bro take your time and besides you write some of the best stories here
kayo80:

Life happened.

Besides, I wasn't getting enough comments or likes on this particular story, and felt unmotivated to continue.

Anyway, I have made it a principle now to fully complete a story before I start posting, and make sure I finish posting the whole story within 2 weeks tops. With that said, I am currently working on a new story and I should start posting by the end of the month.

About completing the two uncompleted stories I have on here, I can't say when that would be...I am fully focused on the new story I am currently working on.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) by EAhumble(m): 9:33am On May 15, 2021
pls Kayo, finish this story

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) by onlyfacts: 6:08pm On May 22, 2021
kayo80:
Hello guys. I will be posting 1-2 chapters of this story per week. Apart from the first chapter, the other chapters will be quite long. I have been away for a long time, and I want to get warmed up by this series, cos it is easier to write in first person point of view. I have an uncompleted story (https://www.nairaland.com/6048642/end...the-beginning-romance-novelette-kayode) ...I will complete it pretty soon.

If you haven't read the first and second parts of this book series (or if you have forgotten the story), you can do so before you read this.

https://www.nairaland.com/4960053/diary-shy-college-kid-year

https://www.nairaland.com/5196882/diary-shy-college-kid-year

Hello, I'll like to help you publish your book with a novel company. the pay is $100-$500+ monthly. Reply my mention if interested.
Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 8:03pm On May 22, 2021
onlyfacts:

Hello, I'll like to help you publish your book with a novel company. the pay is $100-$500+ monthly. Reply my mention if interested.

It's me Kay...you are already working with me. I connected with you on my other account. I already gave you "In the World of Three Women" story.
Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) by onlyfacts: 9:00pm On May 22, 2021
kayo80:

It's me Kay...you are already working with me. I connected with you on my other account. I already gave you "In the World of Three Women" story.

Excellent. Never knew. Thanks again.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Little Adventure (revised 2015) / Biography Of Pericoma Okoye / Titles Of Books

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.