Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,764 members, 7,851,606 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 12:28 AM

Reality Check : Your Ethnicity And Tribe Matters In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reality Check : Your Ethnicity And Tribe Matters In Nigeria (718 Views)

Labour Party Is Based On Ethnicity And Religion – Kwankwaso (Video) / 2023: Datti Yusuf Advises Nigerians To Avoid Politics Of Religion And Tribe / Hauwa Atiku Uwais: Eliminate Ethnicity And Religion From Politics. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reality Check : Your Ethnicity And Tribe Matters In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:49am On Jan 13, 2021
Whether you try to deny it or not, tribe and ethnicity matters.

People who where born and brought up in big cities like lagos are deceived that their tribe doesn't matter or their ethnicity doesn't matter. If you try to bring out supporting your own tribe over other competing tribes, they will call you a tribalist to shame you.

Even in Lagos, there are some offices you won't get employed because you are not from a particular tribe, they wont tell you but when you look at the workers list, you will start seeing a pattern. I don't blame them.

When you go out of lagos, you start seeing the reality of why your tribe and ethnicity matter, if i am an hausa man, i can't get job in igbo states, likewise, if i am an igbo man, i will not be able to get job in hausa land, likewise yoruba too.

Some people keep pretending that tribe does not matter, do you think, a yoruba militia will attack an igbo village and those from that village wont complain and blame it on the yorubas.

People should wake up to the reality we have in Nigeria, the same tribe move together likewise, the same race move together.

Even if i speak igbo or yoruba fluently, will the igbo or yoruba man take me as a native? No...this is reality most people dont understand.

If i employ 99% of my tribe, don't call me a tribalist, i am just doing what i call group self preservation. If a non indigene comes to your land to take your job, i am sure your people will fight against the person till they remove the person, they might not hate the non indigene but they believe in self interest, a man that looks like them and speak the same language like them is easy to understand than a foreigner, they know where his loyalty lies.

Call me a tribalist, yes, i am, a proud one because i know the reality of the world i live in. Anywhere, anytime, i will put my people first before you and i believe you too will.

2 Likes

Re: Reality Check : Your Ethnicity And Tribe Matters In Nigeria by donbachi(m): 10:56am On Jan 13, 2021
Whether they like it or not..there are some traditional rites,an iboman,ijawman,calabarnan cannot perform in lagos state.same goes to a yorubaman in those aformentioned tribes...townhall na people get am.

1 Like

Re: Reality Check : Your Ethnicity And Tribe Matters In Nigeria by ijawcitizen(m): 1:02pm On Jan 13, 2021
Igala people, take back your lands from igbo assimilation

1 Like

Re: Reality Check : Your Ethnicity And Tribe Matters In Nigeria by BigSarah(f): 1:28pm On Jan 13, 2021
This same people would go outside the country and be shouting white privilege... you guys suck
Re: Reality Check : Your Ethnicity And Tribe Matters In Nigeria by Tranquillity360: 1:37pm On Jan 13, 2021
The reason is very simple.

We are not one and can never be one.
Re: Reality Check : Your Ethnicity And Tribe Matters In Nigeria by IamWonderful: 1:37pm On Jan 13, 2021
As a Yoruba I went to Alaba to buy TV from one Igbo guy, but from the look of the TV it wasn't alright I approached another igbos they said if it was alright I should collect my money back, before I know it igbos have supported themselves to dupe me in my state, I came on Nairaland to complain see how the igbos were supporting criminality before 15 minutes one Igbo mod have removed the post.

Re: Reality Check : Your Ethnicity And Tribe Matters In Nigeria by Dpsychologist: 2:17pm On Jan 13, 2021
Fair it is not but true it is.
The colonial matters united us even though we never wanted to be united.
Re: Reality Check : Your Ethnicity And Tribe Matters In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jan 13, 2021
Dpsychologist:
Fair it is not but true it is.

The colonial matters united us even though we never wanted to be united.

This is the problem of a multicultural society, uniting people of different mentality, different cultures and traditions brings lot of disasters and problems
Re: Reality Check : Your Ethnicity And Tribe Matters In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jan 13, 2021
IamWonderful:
As a Yoruba I went to Alaba to buy TV from one Igbo guy, but from the look of the TV it wasn't alright I approached another igbos they said if it was alright I should collect my money back, before I know it igbos have supported themselves to dupe me in my state, I came on Nairaland to complain see how the igbos were supporting criminality before 15 minutes one Igbo mod have removed the post.

True true, all stack will be against you.
Re: Reality Check : Your Ethnicity And Tribe Matters In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jan 13, 2021
Top1gun:
The igbo tribe is the most tribalistic tribe in the uuniverse.

You can't say the igbo are the most tribalistic group. As far as i am concerned, Every group deserves to protect their own. It is common sense and group survival
Re: Reality Check : Your Ethnicity And Tribe Matters In Nigeria by IamWonderful: 2:53pm On Jan 13, 2021
Top1gun:

Hmmm don't let me corroborate your statement before one Igbo mod give me another ban

Re: Reality Check : Your Ethnicity And Tribe Matters In Nigeria by IamWonderful: 2:59pm On Jan 13, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

True true, all stack will be against you.

You will hear something like you are greedy, why didn't you buy soft drink for for those igbos before asking them to help you, that is why they dupe you.

Re: Reality Check : Your Ethnicity And Tribe Matters In Nigeria by Vidsolution79: 3:00pm On Jan 13, 2021
Top1gun:

Its true...its not easy to thrive in the east if you are not Igbo.

1 Like

Re: Reality Check : Your Ethnicity And Tribe Matters In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jan 13, 2021
Vidsolution79:

It is not easy to thrive anywhere if you are not native.

Something open my eye recently when buying foodstuffs, there is native price and non native price
Re: Reality Check : Your Ethnicity And Tribe Matters In Nigeria by Vidsolution79: 3:11pm On Jan 13, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Something open my eye recently when buying foodstuffs, there is native price and non native price
That can never happen in the west though...

1 Like

Re: Reality Check : Your Ethnicity And Tribe Matters In Nigeria by Liposure: 3:28pm On Jan 13, 2021
Even within each ethnic group, there is no harmony. We don't seem to get along in this country despite the fact that we are nigerians. Maybe it'd be better we go our separate ways.
Re: Reality Check : Your Ethnicity And Tribe Matters In Nigeria by div111(m): 3:44pm On Jan 13, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

I swr grin grin
Re: Reality Check : Your Ethnicity And Tribe Matters In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jan 13, 2021
Liposure:
Even within each ethnic group, there is enmity. We don't seem to get along in this country despite the fact that we are nigerians. Maybe it'd be better we go our separate ways.

Even if they are divided, they can have a common goal to achieve
Re: Reality Check : Your Ethnicity And Tribe Matters In Nigeria by Greenback: 4:37am On Jan 15, 2021
IamWonderful:
You will hear something like you are greedy, why didn't you buy soft drink for for those igbos before asking them to help you, that is why they dupe you.

Stop being a big ..... @40,thanks.

You are so irritating
Re: Reality Check : Your Ethnicity And Tribe Matters In Nigeria by naijadrivablog: 4:45am On Jan 15, 2021
If ever Nigeria wants to heal from the effects of civil war, let's adopt "don't ask, don't tell" policy on "State of Origin", " Religion " and "tribe".

No document should have those fields. Just tick that you are a " Nigerian".
Re: Reality Check : Your Ethnicity And Tribe Matters In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:46am On Jan 15, 2021
naijadrivablog:
If ever Nigeria wants to heal from the effects of civil war, let's adopt "don't ask, don't tell" policy on "State of Origin", " Religion " and "tribe".

names and surnames differ.
Re: Reality Check : Your Ethnicity And Tribe Matters In Nigeria by jneutron4000: 6:51am On Jan 15, 2021
Vidsolution79:

Thrive for where Many non Igbos that has tried to live in Igboland and they once established businesses has nothing good to talk about them, Igbos ensures non Igbos do not succeed, first once you start the business, some few ones will start patronizing and pretending they are genuine customers before you know it, they would stop coming, the next set of Igbos that will be disturbing you will be their local street guys Agberos, finally you will now see another igbo man will get his shop beside or opposite yours, they will duplicate all what you are doing in other to take away your customers, still the igbo man would not let you be after he must has taken over your own customers, he would start gossiping about you, creates unnecessary rivalry, frustrate you till you will close down that very business. This is true life story and experience. Igbo do not give other non Igbo ethnic groups to thrive in Igboland at all, they even still come to your region and want to monopolise everything there, that is the terrible nature of the Igbos. You will hardly find a successful business person either Yoruba, Edo, Ijaw, Effik, Ibibio, Hausa etc. making wealth in Igboland. The challenges other ethnic group faces in Igboland is not even from the Igbo government as they do not really disturb once you have paid the necessary levy and tax BUT the Igbos generally will not let you thrive in their region.

1 Like

Re: Reality Check : Your Ethnicity And Tribe Matters In Nigeria by Vidsolution79: 8:41am On Jan 15, 2021
jneutron4000:
Thrive for where Many non Igbos that has tried to live in Igboland and they once established businesses has nothing good to talk about them, Igbos ensures non Igbos do not succeed, first once you start the business, some few ones will start patronizing and pretending they are genuine customers before you know it, they would stop coming, the next set of Igbos that will be disturbing you will be their local street guys Agberos, finally you will now see another igbo man will get his shop beside or opposite yours, they will duplicate all what you are doing in other to take away your customers, still the igbo man would not let you be after he must has taken over your own customers, he would start gossiping about you, creates unnecessary rivalry, frustrate you till you will close down that very business. This is true life story and experience. Igbo do not give other non Igbo ethnic groups to thrive in Igboland at all, they even still come to your region and want to monopolise everything there, that is the terrible nature of the Igbos. You will hardly find a successful business person either Yoruba, Edo, Ijaw, Effik, Ibibio, Hausa etc. making wealth in Igboland. The challenges other ethnic group faces in Igboland is not even from the Igbo government as they do not really disturb once you have paid the necessary levy and tax BUT the Igbos generally will not let you thrive in their region.
Kudos ...UV said it all

1 Like

Re: Reality Check : Your Ethnicity And Tribe Matters In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:59am On Jan 15, 2021
naijadrivablog:

It wont work.

Your surname will still expose you.

Surname shows how different we are culturally

Surname also expose your tribe and sometimes your religion.
Re: Reality Check : Your Ethnicity And Tribe Matters In Nigeria by Sapiosexuality(m): 11:23am On Jan 15, 2021
jneutron4000:
Most of these arguments up there are based on hearsay and not fact.

Now I wonder how Taye has the biggest and best sports Academy in Imo State. Or how Akintola's Workshop is up there with the best in Owerri. Or how the current HOD of my MSc class is Dr Azeez (a Muslim). Or is it my opposite door neighbor, Olumide, who got a job all the way from Ogun or Osun (not sure).

When I was in Lagos I also met primitive minds like you.

Someone told me Omo Igbo is an insult to Igbos. Lol. Got my first job in Lagos from Mr Tope.

This is not saying there is no tribalism in Nigeria. This is just to say people talk out of their ass. Explore the world.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News: Nigeria Army Attack Esn In Orlu / Re:stoppage Of Movement Of Food Items From North To The South, A Wake Up Call / Nigerian-american Assumes Role As Commander Of US Navy Guided Missile Destroyer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.