Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,713 members, 7,809,703 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:32 PM

Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? (5532 Views)

Why Most Marriages Never Exceed 10years / Reasons Why Most Marriages Fail In Nigeria / Your Opinion On Inter-religious And Inter-tribal Marriages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? by namfav(m): 9:23am On Apr 01, 2011
what are your views? my cousin is marrying a ex christian woman on monday and she reverted few months ago but her family opposed this and refuse to have anything to do with her or her marriage, her brothers and uncles have threatened to cause damage to my cousin and his property i just got a call that her family has even threatened to come to our home town to disrupt the marriage

if you are in this situation would you revert, would you avoid such a relationship in all undecided
Re: Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? by Blazay(m): 9:27am On Apr 01, 2011
if you are in this situation would you revert, would you avoid such a relationship in all 

I would only avoid the relationship if the other party begins to ask me to convert to his or her religion or school of thought.
As long as he or she practices her philosophy in his or her own corner of the house or without bothering me, we are cool. kiss
Convert or revert to what?
If Jesus, Buddha, Krishna, Mohammed or Ghenghis Khan were to all be in the same room singing 'kumbaya'. . . I ain't reverting or converting to no shiaaate! kiss
I see that as a sign of weakness.
Because of a poohsie or a de-ek? undecided
Heavens forbid! undecided

I would not go to all that length to disrupt this and that. The family members should respect their wishes and let them be. Jobless peeps!
Even if I would NEVER do such a thing as convert to another religion because of another human being OR animal. . .free world.
All a matter of choice for any individual which MUST be respected. kiss
Re: Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? by Nobody: 9:33am On Apr 01, 2011
Truth be told,religion and ethnicity are major considerations in marriage atleast according to NIgeria standards. cool
Re: Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? by namfav(m): 9:38am On Apr 01, 2011
i agree, even more religion
~Bluetooth:

Truth be told,religion and ethnicity are major considerations in marriage atleast according to NIgeria standards. cool

i'm sure you belong to a religion, even if you are atheist you will meet alot of people who don't follow what you follow, its just the way it is and plus we all have to make decisions if you are christian and your wife is atheist you'd obviously care what your children will be unless you don't then you are a no person
Blazay:

Convert or revert to what?
If Jesus. Buddha, Krishna, Mohammed or Ghenghis Khan were to all be in the same room singing 'kumbaya'. . . I ain't reverting or converting to no shiaaate! kiss
I see that as a sign of weakness.
Because of a poohsie or a de-ek? undecided
Heavens forbid! undecided

I would not go to all that length to disrupt this and that. The family members should respect their wishes and let them be. Jobless peeps!
Even if I would NEVER do such a thing as convert to another religion because of another human being OR animal. . .free world.
All matter of choice for any individual which MUST be respected. kiss

Re: Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? by Blazay(m): 9:57am On Apr 01, 2011
namfav:

i'm sure you belong to a religion, even if you are atheist you will meet alot of people who don't follow what you follow, its just the way it is and plus we all have to make decisions if you are christian and your wife is atheist you'd obviously care what your children will be unless you don't then you are a no person

I am a free-thinking agnostic. Not an atheist.kiss
I really do not care what my children believe or worship.
They have been exposed to ALL schools of thought.
As long as they learn to use their minds and not follow blindly. . . I have done my job.
God can do his or hers.
Not my business. kiss
Every man and woman for himself or herself. kiss

I nor dey for 'follow-follow' club!

1 Like

Re: Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? by namfav(m): 10:05am On Apr 01, 2011
Blazay:

They have been exposed to ALL schoos of thoughts.
As long as the learn to use their minds and not follow blindly. . . I have done my job.
God can do his or hers.
Not my business. kiss
Every man and woman for himself or herself

i pity your children undecided
Re: Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? by Nobody: 10:20am On Apr 01, 2011
Blazay:

They have been exposed to ALL schoos of thoughts.
As long as the learn to use their minds and not follow blindly. . . I have done my job.
God can do his or hers.
Not my business. kiss

you have every right to express your feelings but did consider your partner when typing this ?
Re: Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? by Blazay(m): 10:35am On Apr 01, 2011
namfav:

Me too! kiss
Thank God they are still alive and all A students with brains not dunces like yours!

~Bluetooth:

you have every right to express your feelings but did consider your partner when typing this ?

The reason we are still married and without coming to NL to look for a spouse or get married to an online recycled 'partner'. kiss
Re: Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? by namfav(m): 10:39am On Apr 01, 2011
Blazay:

Me too! kiss
Thank God they are still alive and all A students with brains not dunces like yours!

breathing is a right the same for having a brain

angry
Re: Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? by Sagamite(m): 10:48am On Apr 01, 2011
namfav:

Pity them that what?
Re: Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? by orbaxy(m): 1:18pm On Apr 01, 2011
@Blazay, nothing like a free thinker. you really do need GOD if you don't realise that now, you will someday.
If you are really a parent, your comments are way too irresponsible.

Blazay:

They have been exposed to ALL schools of thought.
God can do his or hers.
Not my business. kiss

Re: Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? by Sagamite(m): 1:30pm On Apr 01, 2011
orbaxy:

@Blazay, nothing like a free thinker. you really do need GOD if you don't realise that now, you will someday.
If you are really a parent, your comments are way too irresponsible.

Need God for what?

What happens if you do not have God?

Where do you buy, see or get God?
Re: Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? by namfav(m): 1:39pm On Apr 01, 2011
Sagamite:

Pity them that what?

for having a parent that does not care what their children choose undecided
Re: Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? by damola1: 2:01pm On Apr 01, 2011
namfav:

for having a parent that does not care what their children choose undecided

If he didn't care, he wouldn't have exposed them to such information that he did, but he respects their views.

coming from a mixed religious background, it's great asset in life, really, no differences, finished the quaran by 10, joined xtainity by 17, I will still take my kid to my father to teach him the ways of islam, and still expose him to xtianity, that's the only way he can understand the essence of perspective, and that, everything in life is all about the PERSPECTIVE, and not really what you BELIEVE,
Re: Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? by Blazay(m): 2:09pm On Apr 01, 2011
damola1:

If he didn't care, he wouldn't have exposed them to such information that he did,  but he respects their views.

coming from a mixed religious background, it's great asset in life,  really,  no differences, finished the quaran by 10, joined xtainity by 17,  I will still take my kid to my father to teach him the ways of islam, and still expose him to xtianity,  that's the only way he can understand the essence of perspective,  and that,  everything in life is all about the PERSPECTIVE,  and not really what you BELIEVE,

Good job!
Thank God for civilized peeps on this thread!
In "phat", lemme quote it again. kiss

damola1:

If he didn't care, he wouldn't have exposed them to such information that he did,  but he respects their views.
coming from a mixed religious background, it's great asset in life,  really,  no differences, finished the quaran by 10, joined xtainity by 17,  I will still take my kid to my father to teach him the ways of islam, and still expose him to xtianity,  that's the only way he can understand the essence of perspective,  and that,  everything in life is all about the PERSPECTIVE,  and not really what you BELIEVE,
Re: Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? by Julbu(m): 2:12pm On Apr 01, 2011
You said you don't need Jesus,please you are making a hell of mistakes.accept Jesus today and your life and situation will not remain the same.Get a copy of the Holy Bible,read and hold on to what the bible teaches.may God minister to you as you make attempt to draw close to Him-amen
Re: Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? by Blazay(m): 2:18pm On Apr 01, 2011
Thank you Prophet Jehoshaphet! cheesy
Re: Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? by armyofone(m): 2:21pm On Apr 01, 2011
Julbu:

You said you don't need Jesus,please you are making a hell of mistakes.accept Jesus today and your life and situation will not remain the same.Get a copy of the Holy Bible,read and hold on to what the bible teaches.may God minister to you as you make attempt to draw close to Him-amen

if only you can move mountain for me to see, preach and pray on brother Jero grin
Re: Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? by ektbear: 2:54pm On Apr 01, 2011
I'm not super religious myself, and have dated several non-Christians before.

If you aren't that religious, then probably not a big deal. But if you are passionate about religion, or later on down the line become passionate, it might cause problems in the future.

As far as marriage goes, I think it is more convenient/practical/less annoying to marry someone who shares the same religion as you. But for me personally, if the choice is an ugly, poor, mean Christian woman versus a beautiful, rich, kind Hindu/atheist woman, I'll probably pick the latter grin tongue

I dunno, just my opinion on the matter. Though my parents strongly disagree with my beliefs on this subject grin
Re: Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? by PeeDaVinci: 3:17pm On Apr 01, 2011
by saying inter-religious marriages, i mean a situation where one of the couple is fully practises a religion and the other doesn't practise any or practise another religion, and i can tell you cantegorically that it doesn't work, just forget it!!! both parties, most of the times, are just tolerating each other
Re: Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? by koolboi(m): 4:13pm On Apr 01, 2011
Fashola and tinubu are muslems but their beloved wives are christians.this is rampant in yoruba societies,what maters is compatibility not religious belief.my mother just converted to christianity hence my relatives are muslems
Re: Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? by orbaxy(m): 4:29pm On Apr 01, 2011
Blazay:

Good job!
Thank God for civilized peeps on this thread!
In "phat", lemme quote it again. kiss

Civilized? did you say civilized? This must be a joke right? dude there's nothing personal to it but it will give me a great deal of joy to size you up and see how "civilized" you're.
i wont give a smoking sh.it on the beta-kappa thing cos we've been there done that.
I bet you're part of the class of people that say spirits don't exist. Think again.

I honestly wish to respect your view but "BROS" without GOD life sucks.
I ain't hyper-religious but i know the cards.

@OP
Its possible to co-habit peacefully with different people who share different belief.
my girlfriend is Indonesian and she's a moslem. We're together and we're happy but i bet you (if you're a christain) the moral responsibility is yours to guide the other partner aright in a most respectable manner. C'mon peeps, christains have fundamental belief so does moslems. THESE BELIEFS ARE LIKE WATER AND OIL THEY DON'T MIX.
In as much as tolerance is great but trust me, under the same roof, compromise will visit someday.
Better to align your relationship with peeps of same religious belief. Why get yourself the stress?

Am OUT!!!!
Re: Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? by dayokanu(m): 4:34pm On Apr 01, 2011
armyofone:

if only you can move mountain for me to see, preach and pray on brother Jero grin

How we go do our own now?
Re: Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? by Blazay(m): 4:39pm On Apr 01, 2011
orbaxy:

@Blazay, nothing like a free thinker.[b] you really do need GOD if you don't realise that now, you will someday.[/b]If you are really a parent, your comments are way too irresponsible.

orbaxy:

Civilized? did you say civilized? This must be a joke right? dude there's nothing personal to it but it will give me a great deal of joy to size you up and see how "civilized" you're.
i wont give a smoking sh.it on the beta-kappa thing cos we've been there done that.
I bet you're part of the class of people that say spirits don't exist. Think again.

I honestly wish to respect your view but "BROS" without GOD life sucks.[/b]I ain't hyper-religious but i know the cards.

@OP
[b]Its possible to co-habit peacefully with different people who share different belief.
my girlfriend is Indonesian and she's a moslem. We're together and we're happy but i bet you (if you're a christain) the moral responsibility is yours to guide the other partner aright in a most respectable manner. C'mon peeps, christains have fundamental belief so does moslems.
THESE BELIEFS ARE LIKE WATER AND OIL THEY DON'T MIX.
In as much as tolerance is great but trust me, under the same roof, compromise will visit someday.
Better to align your relationship with peeps of same religious belief. Why get yourself the stress?
Am OUT!!!!

Who is this STARK illiterate? undecided
Re: Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? by JUO(m): 5:02pm On Apr 01, 2011
o boy na no go area o
Re: Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? by Nobody: 5:08pm On Apr 01, 2011
orbaxy:

I honestly wish to respect your view but [b]"BROS" [/b]without GOD life sucks.
I ain't hyper-religious but i know the cards.

@OP
Its possible to co-habit peacefully with different people who share different belief.
my girlfriend is Indonesian and she's a moslem. We're together and we're happy but i bet you (if you're a christain) the moral responsibility is yours to guide the other partner aright in a most respectable manner. C'mon peeps, christains have fundamental belief so does moslems. THESE BELIEFS ARE LIKE WATER AND OIL THEY DON'T MIX.

Am OUT!!!!

Errrm . . . . actually, it's a she! embarassed embarassed

namfav:

what are your views? my cousin is marrying a ex christian woman on monday and she reverted few months ago but her family opposed this and refuse to have anything to do with her or her marriage, her brothers and uncles have threatened to cause damage to my cousin and his property i just got a call that her family has even threatened to come to our home town to disrupt the marriage

if you are in this situation would you revert, would you avoid such a relationship in all undecided

I've always believed that people should stick tho their own kind. A christian marrying a non-Christan is not a true Christians because the bible expressly teaches to stay away from 'unbelievers' . . . . except the person's intentions is to convert him/her!

I can never marry a con- christian so I stay away from them, no matter how 'attractive' they are!

I know my values and those of my family and I don't intend to destroy them in the name of marriage.
Re: Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? by Blazay(m): 5:10pm On Apr 01, 2011
Ujujoan:

Errrm . . . . actually, it's a she! embarassed embarassed

Mtchewwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!
You have come again?
Which wan consine you? angry
Re: Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? by Nobody: 5:12pm On Apr 01, 2011
See this one . . . . did I talk to you angry angry
Re: Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? by Blazay(m): 5:18pm On Apr 01, 2011
Ujujoan:

See this one . . . . did I talk to you angry angry

Looky hia!
Sorry, I do not do 'indirect' speeches or write-ups, pungent with innuendos to address my inferiors. Neither am I in the habit of cowardly 'talking to the wall' when addressing people on or off the cyber airways, no matter how irritating or stoopid. Even if your father owns this website or message board?kiss
Oh, you berra bet your stinking, Igbotic, poohsie that you and your nauseating Igbotic/Ngbatic, ugly gang of ner-do-wells all over NL and beyond berra NOT 'talk' to or address moi! kiss

If you or the other UGLY, boring, man/woman-hungry, polymonikering, jobless, scumbags ESPECIALLY of despereaux-single, cyber-'operatives' are responsible for starting this thread or others I may ACCIDENTALLY feature in on account of your surreptitious, polymonikering moves . . .lemme know and I will GLADLY delete all my posts. kiss As you can see, I do a good job avoiding verminous threads that can ONLY attract the most dense of intellectual 'locusts'-hoard of brain-dead, love-starved, low self-esteemed posters like you and your cursed, LOCAL ilk. kiss Enough of your boolsheet! I am not even gonna cut you any slack or give you an inch to make a bloody nuisance of your bush self around me kiss

Do you understand?

So, who is the 'she' or 'this one'? You phocking, Igbotic Onitsha-market, bush-piglet?
I absolutely cannot stand you. Marra-o-fact. . . .  I HATE YOU!!!!

Reason? There is absolutely NOTHING genuine or wholesome about you. I know. Somethings are just spiritual huh? kiss
So, just mind your business ok?
Directly or indirectly, you may NOT address me as long as you live, or from your grave of IGBOTIC OSUS. kiss
Or, I will physically breaaaaaaaak that your tolo-tolo neck on/off the cyber airways or in your made-in-Ohafia casket of rafia palms! kiss
You meddlesome, gutter snipe and spiritual orphan!! angry

No one called you into the chatter-logue!
Learn to make your point without butting in, especially where no one solicits your daft opinion!
Learn to mind your gaddem business!
Mama 'O' Seun Jesus' of NL!
Always crawling around NL looking for trouble in your typical 'born-again' fashion.
Miserable Okija witch! angry
Nor go marry or born one pickin at least!
Ewu! angry
Re: Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? by DisGuy: 5:18pm On Apr 01, 2011
~Bluetooth:

na lie o or at least temporarily

When the Guy becomes Governor/Senator/Minister they will all say we are worshiping one God and they are a modern family  cool

Money, Kudi, Owo, EeGo is a major contribution in naija marriage!!
Re: Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? by ektbear: 5:20pm On Apr 01, 2011
Ujujoan:

've always believed that people should stick tho their own kind. A christian marrying a non-Christan is not a true Christians because the bible expressly teaches to stay away from 'unbelievers' . . . .  except the person's intentions is to convert him/her!

I can never marry a con- christian so I stay away from them, no matter how 'attractive' they are!

I know my values and those of my family and I don't intend to destroy them in the name of marriage.

I respect this POV. But where in the Bible is this explicitly prohibited?

I try to judge a person's worth on a case-by-case basis, not just on the basis of their religion. I've met Hindus before who are far more upright, kind, humble, honest, etc than your typical churchgoing "Christian." My best friend here is a not-too-religious Hindu, but I'd trust him with (for example) money or the safety of my first-born child over 99% of Christians.

Dude has never let me down, never failed me. Which is more than I can say for more Christians I've interacted with.
Re: Inter-religious Relationships/marriages? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Apr 01, 2011
ekt_bear:

I respect this POV. But where in the Bible is this explicitly prohibited?

I try to judge a person's worth on a case-by-case basis, not just on the basis of their religion. I've met Hindus before who are far more upright, kind, humble, honest, etc than your typical churchgoing "Christian." My best friend here is a not-to-religious Hindu, but I'd trust him with (for example) money or the safety of my first-born child over 99% of Christians.

It doesn't matter how 'upright' a person is . . . that is left for God to judge.

The bible say the ONLY to get to heaven is through JC. I wonder how someone who doesn't believe in him will manage that.

I'm not very religious, but I remember clearly the aspect of the scripture which says "there is NO connection whatsoever between light (believers) and darkness (unbelievers).

Jesus says "I am the way, the truth and the life, NO ONE comes to the father except through me"!

Those are the core teachings of Christianity.

It makes me wonder what the people marrying non Christians are thinking! undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Save Me 4rm My Uncle's Wife / To Whom Does The Child Belong To In Nigeria? The Father Or The Mother Or Both? / Please Advice My Elder Brother And His Wife.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.