Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,475 members, 7,830,390 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:52 PM

Why Igbos Don't Do Naming Ceremony - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Igbos Don't Do Naming Ceremony (1912 Views)

Our Landlord Says He Fathered My Second Baby, Insists On Naming Him —husband / Suggest A Name For My Baby Girl: The Naming Ceremony Of My Baby Is Tomorrow / Ajibola Otubusin Holds Naming Ceremony For Her Son (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Igbos Don't Do Naming Ceremony by mike4zeal(m): 8:16pm On Jan 15, 2021
I was curious why have never been invited to an Igbo naming ceremony, I decide to even know why, and I came across this, then felt like sharing.

I doubt if Igbo people do naming ceremony any more because I have never been invited for one by any Igbo friends. Naming of a child usually happens on the eighth day after birth and the baby is still very tender to be exposed to much crowd. For most Igbos of today, it is a family thing, not ceremonial.

The most significant event(before first birthday) after birth is Child dedication. It happens 3 months after birth, usually after baptism. Every Igbo child goes through early Baptism as most Igbos are Christians and baptism marks the christening of a new baby.

So child dedication is like a thanks giving ceremony after baptism of a child. The baptism happens few days or a day before the thanks giving of the given Sunday.

The reception follows after the church thanks giving normally at the parents residence. The party is usually huge depending on how well to do the parents of the baby are. Some couples who didn’t have an elaborate wedding use the child dedication to show that things are now better for them and also a way to thank God for bringing them so far.

There is always loud music from DJs, assorted native cuisines, soft and alcoholc drinks, closure of streets and cash gifts usually to the child’s mother even though most of the expense is usually borne by the father.

Child dedication has made naming very unceremonious amongst Igbos.
Re: Why Igbos Don't Do Naming Ceremony by DaniDani(m): 9:08pm On Jan 15, 2021
it's not in our culture (my part of igbo). what we do is celebration of new born baby after days or few weeks of delivery in my part of igbo. I don't know about other parts of igbo.

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Don't Do Naming Ceremony by LadySarah: 9:13pm On Jan 15, 2021
Currently, We name our children as soon as the father of the child arrives or sends a name. be it 10 mins after birth or 1 month after.

Years back where I come from in Abia, you'd be given a name after the market day you were born. Eg Ekenma,Mgbeke, for females, Eke ,nweke for someone born on Eke mkt day and the likes.

The main naming ceremony comes on the day the woman steps out from Omugwo likely months after and that is the day the baby's father unveeils the main names. Nowadays called Child Dedication.

I was born on Eke day and had one of those names until 3 mths later I was dedicated. my Children were named as soon as their father beheld them in the hospital.
My pastor even asked me and I told him we don't do any 8 days naming ceremony.It is for male circumcision. When I'm yet to even recover sef.

I noticed Igbo families from these Yoruba owned churches like Redeemed and Winners are beginning to adopt their lifestyle. Ppl even going into debt and coming to beg on Nl for support to do it. SMH.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Igbos Don't Do Naming Ceremony by JovialJune(f): 9:27pm On Jan 15, 2021
Hehehe this people ehn,

I want to look for trouble tongue

If it is to collect gift, their hand nor dey ever close,

Op wetin you talk na lie, food sharing na the problem abeg, naming o, especially wedding, na kolanut, garden egg, and Osoji them go share, though i love it, no just expect food...

And funny thing is, biblically, 8 days is the ideal day to name a child, but some people just like to cherry pick religion and culture whenever it suits them

Nawa grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Igbos Don't Do Naming Ceremony by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jan 15, 2021
Naming ceremony is waste of money to me. Just dash the baby better name and use your money for something better instead of feeding the whole community who'll chop and clean mouth. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Why Igbos Don't Do Naming Ceremony by tchidi066(f): 11:05pm On Jan 15, 2021
We do more of baptism, also known as ukanwa, and that is months after the child has been born. Then a godfather or godmother will accompany the parents to church where it would be christened, I've attended Yoruba naming ceremonies, where the child could be given 15 names, not so with the Igbos. It's just your baptismal and native names with one or two more names, igbos also don't expose their children immediately after birth, the baby would be indoor for months before being exposed outside.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Igbos Don't Do Naming Ceremony by Nobody: 11:24pm On Jan 15, 2021
We only do child dedication and that is how it has been from time immemorial.
We are ok with it.

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Don't Do Naming Ceremony by stubbornman(m): 11:42pm On Jan 15, 2021
Nah only child dedication we dey do... That naming ceremony nah waste of boiled cash!
Re: Why Igbos Don't Do Naming Ceremony by poshestmina(f): 12:51am On Jan 16, 2021
We do Child naming ceremony after 7 days. Mostly Just few people,Pastor and church members to pray for and name the child. We serve slight refreshments like meat pie with juice etc

Child Dedication after 3 months . The baby goes to church .This one is the one for serious owanbe.

Different tribes and different ways of doing things.

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Don't Do Naming Ceremony by Liposure: 1:56am On Jan 16, 2021
Its depends on the parents church. In my former church, they still do naming ceremony while child dedication takes place later
Re: Why Igbos Don't Do Naming Ceremony by tobechi74: 2:18am On Jan 16, 2021
Igbos do things that will profit ?

How much will naming ceremony fetch him

2 Likes

Re: Why Igbos Don't Do Naming Ceremony by descarado: 4:33pm On Jan 16, 2021
Lol, see answers cheesy
I always name inside hospital b4 we going home.
Who naming ceremony/ dedication help.
Re: Why Igbos Don't Do Naming Ceremony by Ejaisky: 7:31pm On Jan 16, 2021
It is not their culture.
Re: Why Igbos Don't Do Naming Ceremony by helinues: 9:27pm On Jan 16, 2021
Naming ceremony is a waste of time , money, energy and unnecessary attention on the new baby
Re: Why Igbos Don't Do Naming Ceremony by frozen70(f): 6:00pm On Jan 17, 2021
We do naming ceremony after birth with family members

If you want to witness the Yoruba version, come to church when the child dedication will take place

We are not party Frick like the owambe people
Re: Why Igbos Don't Do Naming Ceremony by NoToPile: 12:01pm On Feb 28, 2021
I know biblically the child is named on the 8th day and presented in front of the alter of God ( dedication) by 41days.

Naming does not need to involve ceremony, even dedication too doesn't need ceremony.

Everything is always an opportunity for party in Nigeria.

And also people would choose culture over religion in certain issues.
Re: Why Igbos Don't Do Naming Ceremony by kelcy1: 12:36pm On Feb 28, 2021
My husband named my son immediately he came out. That doesn't need a ceremony.
Re: Why Igbos Don't Do Naming Ceremony by ovalrose(f): 4:49pm On Feb 28, 2021
Naming ceremony isn't an Igbo tradition. Neither is infant baptism, op please take note. Infant baptism is a Catholic thing and not all Igbos are Catholics. In my area of Abia we do onu nwa, meaning the joy of a child where we sing and dance and pour powder on the celebrant, usually the father of the baby. If the parents feel like it they share biscuit and soft drinks and that's done anytime after the child is born, no particular date. However, three months after birth we take the child to church to be prayed for and blessed. If you wan throw party after na for ya pocket.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Need Someone To Move My Things From Lagos To Abuja / Can You Slap Your Biological Mother For N9billion / I Need A Fairly Used AC, Freezer And Gas Cylinder To Buy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.