Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,318 members, 7,815,607 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:13 PM

Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? (3248 Views)

Money Or Job: Which One Do You Really Need? / Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? / 4 Things That Keep Employees Loyal (hint: It's Not Money Or Perks) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? by MT: 12:09pm On Jul 03, 2007
Which will u prefer :

To earn more money but don't get fulfilled and contented with what you're doing

or

To get contented & fulfilled but with less pay

Contribute please

1 Like

Re: Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? by Aproko(f): 5:01pm On Jul 03, 2007
it depends on your circumstances. if you are from an ok background where you have nothing to worry about then you would be seeking fulfilment, and what you earn may not matter much.

but when you have plenty mouths around you waiting to be fed or projects you want to achieve and you cant, you'd realise you'd find your own fulfilment not from the job, but from your account balance believe me, that is enough fulfilment in this nigeria where things are not so easy. wink
Re: Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? by cyrilikem: 5:13pm On Jul 03, 2007
THIS IS A NICE ONE.
LET ME ADD A TWIST:
someone i know got 2 oil company jobs: a multinational and a small  independent producer.
the young man is considering which one to go for. the multinational (e.g SHELL) is offering good money while the independent (e.g ADDAX) is offering good career prospects but half the pay package of the multinational.
whats ur advice?
Re: Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? by muyiolot: 7:03pm On Jul 03, 2007
I will choose fulfillment rather than money. But I wish you had specified the take home on both sides. But really fulfillment covers both the job and the money aspect. I tell you that if the money you are earning is not okay by you, let's say 50,000 in a place like Lagos and you enjoy the best of training, you won't still be fulfilled and this will be reflected by your search for a new job. Let's give these 2 scenarios. A young man earning 120,000 in a manufacturin comapny and another man earning 150,000 in a bank as a marketer. For me I would conveniently resign from the latter to the former becos; firstly I'm an Engineer and I believe that if I can get a job with a sustainable salary, I have no business to do in the bank. Secondly the nature of the job really counts, many people including you and I want a sinecure job( a well paid job with little responsibility) nobody prays for wahala.

So my guy, I think fulfillment encompasses both the money and the nature of the job. I can't leave a 150,000 naira job for a 20,000 naira job. It is madness. But if the money is comparable, then you can consider other factors.
Re: Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? by sojioguns(m): 11:41am On Jul 04, 2007
You see, the two terms you are comparing are very relative terms. I say it depends on the individual.
Re: Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? by PrinceJoe1(m): 11:27pm On Jul 04, 2007
fulfillment is the ultimate but money is also important.
the fact you want to be fulfilled doesn't mean you'll live on peanuts.
U need to maintain your life and it will take money to do that,
afterall,money comes with a certain level of fulfillment.
However,if the money you are been paid is reasonable for basic up-keep
the job is such that would enhance your mental capacity
and long term dreams and goals in life, then I think that job is worth it.
Re: Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? by bookione: 3:57am On Jul 05, 2007
It depends, let's face it, what do people really want in life, money-- there is no doubt about it.  Lots and lots of money.  It is only a few people will choose to make less money and fulfilment in the job they are doing.  Face it writer, if you are giving the choice to select from two jobs one pays you about $10,000,00 a month and the other $1,000 a month but the $1,000 dollar a month job gives you fulfilment whereas the $10,000,00 does not---which one would you go for. I know the answer will be the $10,000,00.  Eventhough it may not be a fulfilling job, human beings tend to look at what they can acquire with the money in addition to the authority and false sense of security that money gives. It is only on rare cases that people go for less paying job to fulfil their desire.

www.yourfirstzone.com
Re: Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? by dibosa187: 7:27am On Jul 05, 2007
Hello everyone, would like to contribute my little piece because when I started out my career (in the legal profession) I got faced with a similar situation.

First, I'll say its a function of the particular individual. There cannot be a general rule in this kind of situation. In my own case, I knew I could use the extra money (particularly in areas like taking professional exams and going ahead with graduate studies).

I won't say I'm not fufilled in what I do but then I might have had more trips from my previous job.

In all, I have no regrets that I went for the better paying job. At the end of the day, the choice lies in the individual and his/her goals and aspiration and what they want from life.
Re: Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 8:01am On Jul 05, 2007
Fulfillment? Let's face it, who even has the luxury of contemplating it? Most Nigerians don't and won't

what with a lop-sided economy, Jamb, Nepa, strikes, strikes, strikes, limited jobs and opportunities,

Besides, all fulfillment springs from having a decent amount of change in the pocket.

Exceptions - Jesus, mother teresa

Rule - you, me, and the vast majority of us in this freakin planet

MT we're holed up in the wrong economy, let fulfilment wait, More quid to the Bank!
Re: Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? by sanrima(f): 8:10am On Jul 05, 2007
sorry o, shocked but will anyone ever claim fulfillment without money? i believe it all depends on d amount involved and d persons background, besides fulfillment with peanuts doesn,t place variety of dishes on d table or buy u special rides.
Re: Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? by simmy(m): 9:14am On Jul 05, 2007
both grin grin
Re: Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? by spora(m): 9:21am On Jul 05, 2007
In an economy like Nigerian, you are fulfilled when you have money.
Re: Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? by bigspif(m): 9:49am On Jul 05, 2007
O'l boy which kin fulfilment For Naija? Abeg that stage no be for us, as someone had earlier said with plenty of mouths to feed and responsibilities to meet the money aspect will definately lead the way. In fact is your qualification realy appreciated in Naija? In places like Europe or US fulfilment can come first cos your qualification and expertise is appreciated and compensated duly.
To cut the story short money is considered before fulfilment over here, people can tell you otherwise, but who no want money to fulfil his/her dreams and goals. sad sad sad sad
Re: Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? by Esss(m): 10:02am On Jul 05, 2007
Money or Fulfilment?? Hmm! Lets look at this thing critically.

What will give me fulfilment in my life?

Lots of houses, = lots of money
Lots of Cars = lots of money
A healthy bank account = Source of my money
Kids = upbringing requires money
A good wife = Also needs money (you digg) wink
Keep my parents happy = More money
Take good care of my younger ones = Money
Good job = Income = money
1 customized golf stream jet = money
an Island = money.
A big yatch = money
Security = bodyguards and hi tech security equipment = money
Servants at my beck and call = more money
Weekends in different parts of the world = money
Heaven = money

Well I guess money = Fulfillment
Re: Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? by EOA(m): 10:53am On Jul 05, 2007
Money is related to fulfilment. You may not be fulfilled when you dont have enough money to meet your needs.

@ Esss

In as much as I don't have any thing against what gives you fulfilment, infact most of them I desire, but your equating Heaven to money is fatal.
Re: Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? by kg(f): 11:08am On Jul 05, 2007
Theory says- fulfilment

Reality/Practicals says- money

If you don't have money problems then opt for fulfilment and go for lesser pay else go for the money first.

At the end of the day a JOB is still a JOB and real fulfilment doesn't come from getting a job no matter how fat or thin the salary is because so long as u remain in a job it controls your time n your life and with time you get tired and start yearning for freedom. So while in a job learn what you can learn and gather as much pay as you can gather, then when you are set for fulfilment opt out of a JOB and run your own show.

Jim Ovia or a Zenith Bank staff who is more fulfilled?
Bill Gate or a Microsoft staff who is more fulfilled?

Like my billionaire mentor will say "there is no passion in poverty!"

I've said mine, you make your own decision.
Re: Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? by tonib(f): 11:10am On Jul 05, 2007
well both are important to mankind but 99% of nigerians will go for a better paying job without thinking about fulfilment in what they are doing, but that has to do with the economic situation in nigeria. for someone that has a family to feed and mayb younger ones and aged ones to take care of no one will think of fulfilment. but in a situation whereby you are ok as in well to do, one may place fulfilment ahead of a well paid job.
Re: Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? by pek(m): 1:07pm On Jul 05, 2007
what is job fulfillment without good pay?you can have all the job fulfillment and your take home pay cannot take you home then there wouldnt be anything like happiness in your live.remember,money answereth all things.if the pay is okay, you can pretend to like it but if it is the other way round, how would you cope?
Re: Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? by moondust(m): 1:17pm On Jul 05, 2007
Both!
Re: Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? by shilees(f): 3:05pm On Jul 05, 2007
i'll say 2 be fulfilled you need money walahi!
so if i chose to be fulfilled av automatically signed in to money, wealth, riches .com
abeg money is important o
without money u cant do nuutin, u wont even be able 2 serve God so wat fulfillment are we talking abt.
Money answereth all things
Re: Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? by Everbright(f): 3:23pm On Jul 05, 2007
without cash man,no fulfilment .period
Re: Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? by MT: 4:31pm On Jul 05, 2007
I dont think money can replace fulfilment undecided
Re: Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? by Echidime(m): 9:59am On Jul 06, 2007
The Bible says that MONEY aswereth all things grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? by Beline(f): 10:14am On Jul 06, 2007
There is nothing like fulfillment when there is no money. In our own country here money breed fulfillment
Re: Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? by ebos(m): 10:40am On Jul 06, 2007
Fulfillment and money is spouse to each other. As somebody said, it is only when the higher paid job is comparable to a lesser paid one that you can only talk or go for fulfillment, but if they are not comparable at all, you must opt for money, as long as our wants remain insatiable. Though, our inner minds will prefer fulfillment to money, but practically, money has proved to be more important then fulfillment. Zero money gives you zero fulfillments, that is, there will be no fulfillment without money. Money is the starting point of any fulfillment, but not applicable to divine matters.
Re: Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? by CoolJaguda(f): 1:16pm On Jul 06, 2007
i think eventually that fulfillment will produce (satisfactory) money.

i think the ability to reproduce money in ways one enjoys is better than landing a high-paying job for a few years.
Re: Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? by doubletree(f): 2:06pm On Jul 06, 2007
money(lots of it),then fulfillment
Re: Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? by ne4real(f): 5:43pm On Jul 06, 2007
i think both go hand in hand

if u have a job u love and the pay is small, then, u wont be fulfilled

both r important and go hand in hand
Re: Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? by ne4real(f): 5:43pm On Jul 06, 2007
i think both go hand in hand

if u have a job u love and the pay is small, then, u wont be fulfilled

both r important and go hand in hand
Re: Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? by MP007(m): 3:07am On Jul 07, 2007
both, aint down with "passion" if the job aint paying good,
Re: Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? by osereka(m): 9:58am On Jul 07, 2007
money will do the magic for me anytime. what is fufilment in a job that you are not happy with what you take home?. to me with money fufilment will come.
Re: Money Or Fulfilment: Which Do You Prefer? by MP007(m): 11:08am On Jul 07, 2007
osereka:

money will do the magic for me anytime. what is fufilment in a job that you are not happy with what you take home?. to me with money fufilment will come.

yes jate, who cares abt fulfilment, thats long term, as long as it pays really good fulfilment with come automatically

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is Delaying 2012 Direct Short Service For Nigerian Navy / Where Your English Teaching Skill Can Pay You Most. / Is It Lucrative Being An Aircraft Flight Dispatcher

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.