Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,506 members, 7,823,186 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:09 AM

My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help (22046 Views)

How Do I Eject This Tenant? / Our Landlord Is Torturing Us / How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Liftkid(m): 8:02pm On Jan 19, 2021
I paid 12 months house rent to a landlord here in Anambra on the 18th of November with an agreement to pack into the house on December.

We packed into the house on the 10th of December only for the landlord to come back today and issued us a one month quit notice.

I visited him to know his reasons for the illegal eviction and he claimed that he saw more than me and my wife in the building.

I asked him for a refund and he said he will deduct the one month I have stayed and the extra one month that he gave me to look for another house.

Nigerians, is it a crime to have other visitors in a building you paid for all the rooms

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by scholes23(m): 5:05am On Jan 20, 2021
Maka Why

Bro u have done nothing wrong. U even did the right thing by asking for a refund.. if he refuses, contact ur lawyer.

69 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by crown08(m): 5:06am On Jan 20, 2021
Chai
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by favour32(m): 5:07am On Jan 20, 2021
Na wao.
You don't give a month notice to a tenant that pays a year's rent.

132 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Kennyfancy(m): 5:07am On Jan 20, 2021
Tell him to give u ur agent and caution fee as well as every little money you spend, then if he refused, you can sue him

124 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Ekehwinz: 5:08am On Jan 20, 2021
Get a competent lawyer to reply him back

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by loosecanon50(m): 5:08am On Jan 20, 2021
In most cases, living in the same compound with your landlord/landlady never ends well. They will see you as their last born child. On the other hand, if there is an agreement to the effect of having certain number of visitors for a certain period of time, then you're wrong. No be you go pack shit comot when soakaway Don full undecided

69 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by miniziter(m): 5:08am On Jan 20, 2021
You have not told us how many visitors you came with o. Sometimes, it is good to be proactive and be painted a wicked landlord than allowing shit to happen. Nigerian are fond of telling the world about the bad their landlord is doing but hide theirs under the carpet. Biko its not easy to build o.

119 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by jobgbemi(m): 5:08am On Jan 20, 2021
If you have money and time, sue him. He should refund you your money in full.
Use the law to teach him a lesson, as far there was no such preconditions written or signed anywhere before you packed in.

10 Likes

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by chumakk: 5:08am On Jan 20, 2021
It is a valid reason if you are having more than 5 to 10 visitors per week.

4 Likes

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by livebyday(m): 5:09am On Jan 20, 2021
You should take this to court. Do you have a copy of your tenancy agreement? Does it state clearly you cant have visitors?

6 Likes

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Nobody: 5:10am On Jan 20, 2021
Our Anambra brothers like money too much so take back the rent you paid and leave the greedy landlord's house.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Kobicove(m): 5:10am On Jan 20, 2021
Maybe you sublet some of the rooms and the landlord is not having any of that... tell us the truth

Maybe you brought all your apprentices to come live with you undecided

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Womanizer(m): 5:11am On Jan 20, 2021
What did you tell him when you took the apartment?
He has a right to eject you if what you're doing now is different from what you told him before

7 Likes

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by emi1000(f): 5:13am On Jan 20, 2021
Was just about to ask you if your landlord is from anambra, let me know if we are staying in the same compound. My landlord gave me same rule, even told me no opposite sex should be seen in my house, I didn't even answer him because I always see him gist with my neighbour that lives with his girlfriend here.

6 Likes

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by uzicuzy(m): 5:15am On Jan 20, 2021
What was your initial agreement with him?...are your visitors also permanent residents with you? He many visitors are u talking about? Cos some landlords might think ure sub letting their property thereby over stretching their facility...by and large it's already a red flag u'll probably be having problems with this landlord this early in your lease...I'll advice u work things out codedly or jejely just start looking for another place...I myself never fancied living in the same compound with my landlord.....too many troubles

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Uzohendris: 5:17am On Jan 20, 2021
If you pay Ur rent yearly, you are entitled to 6months! Don't act ignorant oh

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Luckydubby7(m): 5:18am On Jan 20, 2021
miniziter:
You have not told us how many visitors you came with o. Sometimes, it is good to be proactive and be painted a wicked landlord than allowing shit to happen. Nigerian are fond of telling the world about the bad their landlord is doing but hide theirs under the carpet. Biko its not easy to build o.
Make we hear word pls.
Wetin he built that no one else has built before?

6 Likes

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by emmabest2000(m): 5:20am On Jan 20, 2021
Only igbo's will truly understand you and your landlord disagreement at present
First .. they place you rented that house is in the village and not in the town ,
People hardly rent out their village houses, but few that rent out are also afraid of problems or so I thought , its fear of bringing in robbers that made the man to cancel the contract,
Your visitors today might bring in their friends tomorrow and gbam ...... grin

My advice to u
If you really want to live where you will be allow to receive as many visitors as you want
Go to Nnewi town , Oba or Onitsha town and rent a house , not in Ozubulu village

Drop mic

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by emi1000(f): 5:20am On Jan 20, 2021
Giving you quit notice for breaching the tenancy agreement is one thing, and quitting you the right way is another, you are a yearly tenant, you deserve at least 6 months notice, and the 6 months notice has a particular time to be issued, however this is Nigeria, we barely follow laws here

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by SavageResponse(m): 5:21am On Jan 20, 2021
When you say "visitors" do you mean people who come to visit and then leave the same day or people who have spent upwards of 2 weeks at a stretch?

If at the beginning you gave him the impression it would be just you and your wife then later you flooded the house with squatters your landlord has every reason to ask you to leave because those additional people will stretch the facilities in the compound

4 Likes

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by sgtponzihater1(m): 5:22am On Jan 20, 2021
It's only in Nigeria you rent a house for 2 people and then bring in an extra person into the property in the name of visitor. If its that case it is not right. However if there was no agreement about number of occupants, then fare enough, you have a case to fight

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Legitz: 5:23am On Jan 20, 2021
Why will you live in the same compound with your landlord.
Start looking for another apartment if you want peace cus you and your landlord will continue to be having misunderstanding if you decide to remain in that house.

My former landlord used to lock his gate by 7pm. If any visitor come to visit me and my wife, and the visitor met him at the gate while I'm inside ,he will send that visitor back or else I'm at the gate to pick the visitor but in case any friend or family visit me without notifying me and they met my landlord , wife or kids at the gate ,that visitor will go back oh grin, his kids that are all younger than me were telling me to be first greeting them. They even accused my wife of not sweeping their corridor while the landlord have 3 girls with age 15,18,23. when I demand for my house rent they refused to give me saying they( landlord and his wife) won't refund me untill they get another person that will pay for that flat. Na so I received call from Ojoo police station here in Ibadan that I should come, I went there and it was my landlord that reported me that he want me to pack out that same week, I laughed and let those police know that I won't accept that 1 week quit notice cus I have been telling that man to refund me for the past two months which he didn't comply , imagine paying 200k rent without having peace, I stayed back for a month and relocated into an apartment without the landlord living there, no house mate , only me and my wife in this apartment and I have been enjoying my peace.

My experience with my former landlord make me to start my building last year and I'll pack into it once I roof it and do burglary this year. I go use curtain do widow grin cus I have decided not to renew the rent of this place.
But belief me ,if my former landlord didn't misbehave , I wouldn't have thought of building my own house and I would have continue doing giveaway for those urgent 2k ,5k fine bara on my Facebook & whatsapp

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by SmartPolician: 5:24am On Jan 20, 2021
Go to the state ministry of justice and get the state tenancy law. In Lagos State, people even sell it by the roadsides.

Take your time to study it and find out the details of what tenant should enjoy in his rented apartment. The truth is, Nigerian tenancy laws are made in a way that tenants have the upperhand over landlords. Confront him with it.

Alternatively, speak with and tip a tenancy lawyer to speak with the landlord. The person may have to visit him in person. With that, he will know that you know your right and be compelled to withdraw the quit notice.

But then, if na juju (fetish) man, my brother, collect your balance and find another house. grin grin grin

7 Likes

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by kunkelhanspeter(m): 5:24am On Jan 20, 2021
All this heartless wicked igbo landlord

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Dayoebe(m): 5:25am On Jan 20, 2021
Maybe its time to look for another house for the sake of peace and sanity

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by drjohn365(m): 5:25am On Jan 20, 2021
Make person no get visitors again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJiPtaGdQrQ
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Doyou2019: 5:28am On Jan 20, 2021
Luckydubby7:

Make we hear word pls.
Wetin he built that no one else has built before?

grin Minizixta get serious poverty mentality. You know him type na. Just ignore.....
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by LagBlogger(m): 5:31am On Jan 20, 2021
emi1000:
Giving you quit notice for breaching the tenancy agreement is one thing, and quitting you the right way is another, you are a yearly tenant, you deserve at least 6 months notice, and the 6 months notice has a particular time to be issued, however this is Nigeria, we barely follow laws here

You are wrong. The terms of the agreement supercedes the tenancy law if there is a stated period for quit notice. The 6 months only applies where one is not stated.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Dozie32(m): 5:32am On Jan 20, 2021
Take him to Court. Bet me you will live there for 2 years without paying for house rent, but make sure your landlord is not diabolical, because he might go extra mile to eliminate your entire household. Because from what am seeing, this your landlord is an evil man. He doesn't want his tenants progress. Its better you pack out if am being asked. God will surely see you through baba.

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Land Title: Excision What Does It Mean(MR LAWYER HELP US B4 WE ARE BEEN DUPED) / Umar Abdullahi Resigns As Brains And Hammers MD After 8 Years / Enugu State Government Demolishes Properties Encroaching On Road Allowance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.