Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,949 members, 7,824,977 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 10:23 PM

Opposition Political Parties Reject April 4 For Nass Election - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Opposition Political Parties Reject April 4 For Nass Election (1010 Views)

Saraki, Dogara, Dare APC; Reject Party’s Choices Of Principal Officers For NASS / Nigerians React To N8.64bn Wardrobe Allowance For NASS Members (screenshots) / 2015: PDP Rules Out Automatic Tickets For NASS Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opposition Political Parties Reject April 4 For Nass Election by 9ijaMan: 8:40pm On Apr 02, 2011
Opposition political parties are rejecting Monday, April 4, as the new date for Nigeria’s National Assembly Elections, claiming that it favours only the ruling People’s Democratic Party (PDP).

Calling the postponement “an unwarranted false start” that has imposed an “unwarranted huge cost” upon the Nigerian people, the Conference of Nigerian Political Parties (CNPP’s), Osita Okechukwu, the party’s National Publicity Secretary, said his party had in the past repeatedly drawn attention to the electoral commission’s preference for contractors referred by the presidency instead of adopting an open and transparent process” in the award of contracts. He believed that if the award of the contract for the needed materials which led to today’s logistical collapse had been open and transparent, the situation could have been different.

Rejecting April 4 for the National Assembly election, the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), said that date does not permit it to re-mobilize its agents or its logistics. “The only day between Saturday and Monday is Sunday, when banks do not open,” its National Publicity Secretary, Lai Mohammed, said in a statement in Ilorin.

“Where does [Jega] expect us to get the funds to mobilize our agents for Monday's election?” he asked. “Only the PDP can quickly mobilize such funds. So that date cannot stand, unless Jega is working against the opposition.”
The ACN further noted that the delay in the arrival and distribution of the result sheets was not the only thing that was wrong Saturday’s election today, and that there were many lapses on the part of INEC “which cannot be rectified between now and Monday.”

In the circumstances, the party said the new March 4 schedule was capable only of conferring undue advantage on the PDP, and suggested instead that the election be bundled together on 9 March with the Presidential election, or postponed to April 23 as the last election.

The parties issued their statements as President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, in his country home, Otuoke, Bayelsa State, was expressing the confidence that Nigeria could conduct credible elections.

The President, who addressed journalists following his inability to obtain election accreditation as a result of non-availability of INEC officials and voting materials, appealed to Nigerians to bear with the electoral body.

"If we must do something, it is better to delay and do it well," he said in reference to INEC's postponement of the National Assembly elections to Monday, April 4.

Also today, former military ruler, General Ibrahim Babangida, said that the postponement was understandable in view of the short time available to the electoral body to prepare.

In a statement issued by his spokesman, Kassim Afegbua, Babangida said Professor Jega should be commended for his courage in owning up to today’s fiasco. “He deserves to be encouraged and motivated in the light of our present shortcomings, so that the electoral body would be able to conduct a better election rather than conduct one that would be subject of condemnation and rejection,” he said.

With the late arrival of election materials, it would have been impossible to conduct the elections as scheduled and whose results would be acceptable to the electorates.

“It is our prayer that Nigeria would continue to grow from strength to strength irrespective of our temporary setbacks which are by their very nature surmountable,” Babangida said.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/opposition-political-parties-reject-april-4-nass-election-jonathan-ibb-plead-understanding
Re: Opposition Political Parties Reject April 4 For Nass Election by 9ijaMan: 8:41pm On Apr 02, 2011
I personally support the stance of the opposition parties. PDP stands to gain a lot if the elections are conducted on Monday.
Re: Opposition Political Parties Reject April 4 For Nass Election by Sunofgod(m): 8:43pm On Apr 02, 2011
“Where does [Jega] expect us to get the funds to mobilize our agents for Monday's election?” he asked. “Only the PDP can quickly mobilize such funds. So that date cannot stand, unless Jega is working against the opposition.”

Conspiracy Abi?
Re: Opposition Political Parties Reject April 4 For Nass Election by 9ijaMan: 8:57pm On Apr 02, 2011
Sun of god:

Conspiracy Abi?

It's got nothing to do with conspiracy. The man asked valid questions. How would you want the opposition parties to mobilize their agents to the over 120,000 pollen booths across the nation. Only PDP, with the tax payers money which they've consistently been squandering, can afford to steal more money without necesarily having to go to the banks.
Re: Opposition Political Parties Reject April 4 For Nass Election by ektbear: 8:57pm On Apr 02, 2011
Agreed. Just merge with elections on the 9th.
Re: Opposition Political Parties Reject April 4 For Nass Election by Nobody: 9:09pm On Apr 02, 2011
9ijaMan:

It's got nothing to do with conspiracy. The man asked valid questions. How would you want the opposition parties to mobilize their agents to the over 120,000 pollen booths across the nation. Only PDP, with the tax payers money which they've consistently been squandering, can afford to steal more money without necesarily having to go to the banks.
Gbam! You have summarized d whole plot.  In addition to that,  [size=15pt]JEGA has made Iwu a BIG hero!!!![/size]
Re: Opposition Political Parties Reject April 4 For Nass Election by EMANY01(m): 9:14pm On Apr 02, 2011
Nah wah for people ooohh  so PDP no go get problems with money in banks and mobilisation of supporters, do they (PDP) run a different financial system? Guys be reasonable.
Re: Opposition Political Parties Reject April 4 For Nass Election by Nobody: 9:19pm On Apr 02, 2011
EMANY 01:

Nah wah for people ooohh  so PDP no go get problems with money in banks and mobilisation of supporters, do they (PDP) run a different financial system? Guys be reasonable.
True! You even get money pass PDP. Guy abeg go back to the romance section where u came from
Re: Opposition Political Parties Reject April 4 For Nass Election by 9ijaMan: 9:21pm On Apr 02, 2011
EMANY 01:

Chief if what happened today turns out to be an act of sabotage, the only party that stands to gain if the election should go ahead on Monday is PDP. If Jega wants to make the field a level playing ground, then he needs to move it to a date the major parties all agree upon.

BTW, PDP dose not need to go to the bank to have access to fund which they surely must have stashed at home for the elections. Bros, I'm speaking from experience. In fact some bank Manager would even open their vaults for the government in power to make withdrawals on weekends. The opposition party are not in the position currently to wield such influence.
Re: Opposition Political Parties Reject April 4 For Nass Election by Eziachi: 9:33pm On Apr 02, 2011
Guys, PDP would rather swallow their balls than to merged the presidential election with the NASS elections. They had been selling their new found slogan that party no longer matters but individual because they knew now that PDP is now a dirty word among many Nigerians.
And all over the world it is a known electoral fact that in an election of two elective positions on the same day/time, people tend to vote for the same party.
So PDP's calculation that in Lagos for instance, people may vote for Fashola for governor and then Jonathan for president will be in disarray.

If the worse comes to worse, the may choose a future date,rather than fusing the two elections.
And PDP governors calculation too was that they will be elected first before Jonathan. If you now have their election first before Jonathan's and most of them were brushed aside by any electoral tsunami before the president, they will be reluctant to rig any election for Jonathan, whom they have promised that they will deliver their states.
Remember OBJ/AD governors in 2003? This time its PDP governors/Jonathan.
Re: Opposition Political Parties Reject April 4 For Nass Election by raphsam: 10:50pm On Apr 02, 2011
i support the opposition parties for rejecting monday, cos there are so many issues other that being addressed by JEGA:-
1. What will Jega do with the malicious Voters list currently adopted for the election proposed election
2. Since this sensitive material was planned to arrive this late based on security reasons of falling to the riggers hands, how does he want to keep it safe from this guys till the proposed election date.
Re: Opposition Political Parties Reject April 4 For Nass Election by Rossikk(m): 11:28pm On Apr 02, 2011
Intriguing analyses gentlemen.  cool It would be interesting to see how it all pans out in the end.  smiley
Re: Opposition Political Parties Reject April 4 For Nass Election by Kobojunkie: 1:42am On Apr 03, 2011
I side with the Opposition on this . . . . Saturday 9th instead!
Re: Opposition Political Parties Reject April 4 For Nass Election by Genius100: 1:48am On Apr 03, 2011
Nonsense.
Re: Opposition Political Parties Reject April 4 For Nass Election by adino(m): 4:45am On Apr 03, 2011
Prof. Jega is the best thing to Happen to Inec, if it were Iwuruwuru, he will go ahead with the elections and results will be written in ordinary sheet of paper. But, Jega had the courage to apologise and blame Inec for the problem.
With people like this, there is hope.
The opposition should shut up, they are all noise makers. Are they better than Notorious PDP? Definitely a very big NO.
I loved ACN with a passion but Thank God they have finally shown the world their true colour with the PDP styled primaries they conducted nationwide (especially in Lagos and Edo).
What is the difference between Saturday and Monday?
What about the loot they saved for this elections?
Does PDP uses different banks?
What about the unspent money left over for Saturday? or will they as usual spend it on their numerous under aged GF's before Monday. If they like let them boycott the elections and give the Notorious and Very dangerous Pdp legislooters to run amock once again.

My people please vote wisely. There is a great influx of voters for Durosinmi etti of the labour party because he was one of the greatest backers of a cowardly Fashola, so Oga Tinubu refused him nomination and gave his wife the senate ticket. Do not forget that Sossan the deputy govenor and Mamora also lost their tickets because of their support for Fashola.
If only I reside in Lagos central, my vote will definitely go to labour party. Please, every eligible voters in the house vote for the LP guy, do not dash Tinubu an undeserved vote.
ACN has chosen to be an autocratic party just like the most feared and notorious PDP. Personally, I will vote for Ganiyu Solomon for senate (ACN), and LP or CPC for House of Rep (Faleke the ACN guy is a Thief), G.E.J for president, Fashola for Governor (I forgive the coward for refusing to decamp to LP Or any other party other than PDP) and LP or CPC for the House of Assembly.
My people, Fashola will either not perform this 2nd term or he will be impeached if he tries to perform, because all the candidates of ACN for L.A.H.A are tinubu stooges and backside lickers. If you truly love Fashola and want him to perform then vote for Durosinmi etti of the labour party for Senate (I wish I were at Lagos central) and Labour Party for all house of Assembly positions. Since all of Fashola supporters that were denied ACN tickets ran to Labour Party for cover only for the cowardly Fashola to rebuke Lp in a public campaign as directed by his gods.
In this election, let us vote for candidates and not political parties since all the parties are just the same, let us join hands together and remove the most feared and notorious PDP and ten disgrace other politicians who think they are godfathers.
In as much as I hate PDP, my vote is on G.E.J since Ribadu is a farce and BB though okay but will lose the election as the G.E.J vision is unstoppable.
Re: Opposition Political Parties Reject April 4 For Nass Election by EMANY01(m): 5:39am On Apr 03, 2011
jabbok:

True! You even get money pass PDP. Guy abeg go back to the romance section where u came from

jabbok:

What you posted  was  unreasonable .First we  do  not  have   to resort  to  insults anytime  we do not agree with another individuals post you make  your point  and   go .ng on the
Second  im fairly certain i  have  never posted  on  the romance  section non  the  less assuming  for the moment  that i am a frequent poster on  the romance  page , how does that restrict me from posting on the politics  section.Having  been on Nairaland for up  to  five years  now  i  can  safely say  its  people  like you  that  have  givien  Nairaland  its  new  identity :a  place  for  hot headed immature uncivill  individuals who   can not  set foward  their opinions with out  unleashing insults and  denigrations  along  with it.

9IJAMAN responded  to  the same  post i  made  with out your  blend  of  sarcasm, inuendoes  and  the  like.Please grow up

9ijaMan:

Chief if what happened today turns out to be an act of sabotage, the only party that stands to gain if the election should go ahead on Monday is PDP. If Jega wants to make the field a level playing ground, then he needs to move it to a date the major parties all agree upon.

BTW, PDP dose not need to go to the bank to have access to fund which they surely must have stashed at home for the elections. Bros, I'm speaking from experience. In fact some bank Manager would even open their vaults for the government in power to make withdrawals on weekends. The opposition party are not in the position currently to wield such influence.
Re: Opposition Political Parties Reject April 4 For Nass Election by onyengbu: 6:23am On Apr 03, 2011
Imagine Tinubu the looter-general alleging that only PDP will not need to go to the bank for money.
Re: Opposition Political Parties Reject April 4 For Nass Election by HamidO1(m): 7:35am On Apr 03, 2011
jabbok:

Gbam! You have summarized d whole plot.  In addition to that,  [size=15pt]JEGA has made Iwu a BIG hero!!!![/size]

Iwu a big hero!! Are you for really?? The voters registration despite initial hiccups has shown that Jega and Iwu are on different levels. Jega has got integrity, the failure of the PDP government in past twelve years includes inadequate structure on ground for the conduct of elections. You're not expecting Jega to fix a 12 year problem in 6 months, are you??
Re: Opposition Political Parties Reject April 4 For Nass Election by Pharoh: 2:10pm On Apr 03, 2011
^^

And you guys were expecting goodluck to fix Nigeria's problem in one year? shocked

@topic

Why would i be surprised that everyone is supporting the opposition when they are the opposition in this case . . . i laugh in opposition. grin
Re: Opposition Political Parties Reject April 4 For Nass Election by HamidO1(m): 2:18pm On Apr 03, 2011
^^ No. We are expecting him to show us he can, atleast that isn't too much to ask in a year.
Jega already did that with the voters registration.
Re: Opposition Political Parties Reject April 4 For Nass Election by Dede1(m): 2:58pm On Apr 03, 2011
Hamid O:

Iwu a big hero!! Are you for really?? The voters registration despite initial hiccups has shown that Jega and Iwu are on different levels. Jega has got integrity, the failure of the PDP government in past twelve years includes inadequate structure on ground for the conduct of elections. You're not expecting Jega to fix a 12 year problem in 6 months, are you??

It is very unfortunate that analogies streaming from Nigerians seem to beg for logic.
How does the current registration of voters in Nigeria differ from previous registrations other than the introduction of so-called high tech and computerization of the former and yet the first day of polling constituted colossal failure?

In fact, considering the waste of resources connected to the practical joke displayed by Jega this current electioneering process in Nigeria will be the most wasteful and rig laden election ever witnessed in the cesspit called Nigeria.
Re: Opposition Political Parties Reject April 4 For Nass Election by Ibime(m): 3:13pm On Apr 03, 2011
@ Adino,

Nice breakdown of Lagos politics there.

@ Dede1,

Well said. We have a roadmap to free and fair elections in the Uwais report, but the ruling powers pulled the wool over our eyes by keeping the same rotten system and pacifying us with JEGA. . . .then telling us that their appointment of JEGA signifies their commitment to free and fair elections.

All we've seen from JEGAs INEC is an exercise in waste, trying to window dress a rotten system by importing substandard laptops, DDC machines and bla bla bla at great expense to the taxpayer. If the root is rotten, the tree will always fall. I expect great fallout and dissent from aggrieved parties after the elections.
Re: Opposition Political Parties Reject April 4 For Nass Election by otokx(m): 3:18pm On Apr 03, 2011
It will be one litigation after another if we are not careful how this whole thing is managed. Let them merge the elections on the 9th.
Re: Opposition Political Parties Reject April 4 For Nass Election by Pharoh: 3:20pm On Apr 03, 2011
Hamid O:

^^ No. We are expecting him to show us he can, atleast that isn't too much to ask in a year.
Jega already did that with the voters registration.

You think Jega has tried with almost everyone calling for his head?, well don't worry as the days pass by i am sure you will change your stand.

Goodluck has also shown that he can fix the nation so give him his first authentic term to prove that he can do it. If what Jega did is a pass mark then please why is there condemnation for goodluck?.

This is not even about the postponement of the voting day to Monday but the whole thing has been below par relative to the money that has been expended.

Anyway i wish that everything goes fine and we can move forward with fixing the nation.
Re: Opposition Political Parties Reject April 4 For Nass Election by Beaf: 3:35pm On Apr 03, 2011
Haha! Some opposition parties want the elections postponed, because they have suddenly realised that their own version of "election result" documents are "over the bar!" They now want more time to "investigate" and print new ones. LOL!!!!

Na lie you lie! Elections will go on! cool

[size=14pt]Anambra polls: Police arrest ACN agent with INEC result sheets[/size]
…He’s not one of us, says REC
From IJEOMA ONUORAH, Nnewi
Thursday, March 24, 2011

Men of the Anambra State Police Command yesterday, arrested a suspected senior aide to Dr. Chris Ngige, a former governor of Anambra State, over illegal possession of election materials, belonging to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

The suspect, Kingsley Ezenwenyi, was arrested when he came to the headquarters of the commission in Awka yesterday morning and proceeded to copy from INEC’s notice board, which was strictly meant for staff, the list of postings of electoral officers released by the commission’s state office last Monday.
This drew the attention of men of the State Security Services (SSS) attached to the commission, who asked him to leave.

He was then trailed to his hotel, on the outskirts of Awka, where he was discovered to be in possession of illegal election materials.
Daily Sun gathered that the recovered materials included: Form EC8 A, with serial number 01008997 (original and duplicate copies), 60 copies of original Form EC8(R), which are for publication of results of polls, 56 copies of Form EC8(B), which are for summaries of results from polling stations.
When Ezenwenyi was asked to explain how he came to possess the election materials, he claimed he was working for INEC as a consultant, hired to train members of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) for the election.

But in a swift reaction, the Resident Electoral Commissioner for Anambra State, Professor Chukwuemeka Onukogu, who spoke through Mr. Frank Egbo, stated that Ezenwenyi could not be working for the commission, noting that by printing ballot papers, Ezenwenyi clearly had other motives.

“He already had result sheets for pasting results and it means his own results would have been ready for publication before the conclusion of voting on election day and if he does that you know the kind of confusion that would cause,” stressed Egbo. When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer, Emeka Chukwuemeka, confirmed the arrest of Ezenwenyi, stating that investigations had started.

Reacting to the development, the ACN Publicity Secretary for Anambra State, Mr. Okeluo Madukife, claimed ignorance of the development and said he would investigate the matter before responding.
Re: Opposition Political Parties Reject April 4 For Nass Election by seanet02: 3:49pm On Apr 03, 2011
Beaf where is the link to this bundle of utter lies?
Re: Opposition Political Parties Reject April 4 For Nass Election by otokx(m): 3:59pm On Apr 03, 2011
Yeah, where is the link?
Re: Opposition Political Parties Reject April 4 For Nass Election by ektbear: 4:05pm On Apr 03, 2011
^-- Here is the story:
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/03/police-nab-suspect-with-inec-materials/

Some follow up:
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/03/obis-aide-wants-ezenwenyi-probed-over-electoral-materials-possession/
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/03/electoral-materials-theft-anambra-acn-backs-ezenwenyi/

It seems a bit strange to me. I thought the election materials didn't arrive in the country until Saturday morning . . ? Anyway, I'm not sure.
Re: Opposition Political Parties Reject April 4 For Nass Election by 9ijaMan: 5:46pm On Apr 03, 2011
I'm no ACN fan, but I'll certainly take any news coming out of the staples of PDP sponsored dailies such as Thisday, Tribune and Vanguard with a pinch of salt.
Re: Opposition Political Parties Reject April 4 For Nass Election by Extessaptah: 9:27pm On Apr 26, 2011
Hello i just joined this forum and im also promoting my new facebook game if you like texas hold em poker and your on facebook then please check out my game its http://www.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=365709729894

(1) (Reply)

Where Will U Press Ur Thumb For On Saturday 16th 2011 / Mr. Goodluck, A President With No Agenda / Nigeria ‘to Overtake South Africa’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.