Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,474 members, 7,850,632 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 06:28 AM

Former U.S. Officials urge Biden to Back WTO's selection of Okonjo-Iweala - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Former U.S. Officials urge Biden to Back WTO's selection of Okonjo-Iweala (15191 Views)

WTO To Ratify The Appointment Of Okonjo-Iweala As Director-General Next Week / The Real Truth Behind Trump Rejection Of Okonjo Iweala / Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Former U.S. Officials urge Biden to Back WTO's selection of Okonjo-Iweala by olaboy33(m): 6:15am On Jan 23, 2021
Re: Former U.S. Officials urge Biden to Back WTO's selection of Okonjo-Iweala by Lolachef(f): 6:16am On Jan 23, 2021
You can't bear Ngozi and not progress
Re: Former U.S. Officials urge Biden to Back WTO's selection of Okonjo-Iweala by PussyKing(m): 6:16am On Jan 23, 2021
Buhari is a disaster angry
Re: Former U.S. Officials urge Biden to Back WTO's selection of Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 6:32am On Jan 23, 2021
BOOOMNAIJA:
Without sounding less patriotic tho, wat is d brouhaha all about for this woman....if she couldn't singlehandedly turn around Nigeria's economy during her tenure as finance minister, I wonder wat she would do differently to influence d world's economy....just my thoughts tho. sad sad

She made strident efforts to make us tread the path of rectitude. When Obasanjo became reckless, she resigned.
Under Jonathan, she insisted that the President should memo and sign every request for money to be released to the NSA (Sambo Dasuki) , and she kept meticulous records.
APC used almost 3 years to investigate her, before reluctantly agreeing that she was beyond reproach. This was one person who didn't need to enter government for gain.
She is tested and trusted. The fact that she has the right kind of support from powerful people in the political and diplomatic community is an advantage.
To be frank, it can't be proved that Trump is free from racism. She has American citizenship, so why block her progress if not that she is black? My view o...

4 Likes

Re: Former U.S. Officials urge Biden to Back WTO's selection of Okonjo-Iweala by BreconHills(m): 6:32am On Jan 23, 2021
Maxymilliano:

Okonjo Iweala can get the plum positiy on the strength of her candidacy and experience, moreover, it's still early in the day for the new US President to get distracted with who become the next DG of the WTO.

This is the ideal moment. Biden is overturning Trumps international disengagement policy. It isn't a distraction at all. It is at this precise moment that Biden is returning the US to multilateral institutions that the point should be made.

And you can be sure that the letter is prepared on guidance from the State department looking at the support behind it.

1 Like

Re: Former U.S. Officials urge Biden to Back WTO's selection of Okonjo-Iweala by tunddy(m): 6:32am On Jan 23, 2021
Congrats biden

I sell duplex in Lagos and outside lagos; 4 bed room semi detached duplex,hotels,
Bungalow,blocks of flats, lands ; I also have properties for a long term lease; ware house,hotel;
Properties for letting; 3 bed room flat,2 bed room flat, mini flat, room self for an affordable price.

Check my signature for more information
Re: Former U.S. Officials urge Biden to Back WTO's selection of Okonjo-Iweala by Generalnomercy: 6:53am On Jan 23, 2021
BOOOMNAIJA:
Without sounding less patriotic tho, wat is d brouhaha all about for this woman....if she couldn't singlehandedly turn around Nigeria's economy during her tenure as finance minister, I wonder wat she would do differently to influence d world's economy....just my thoughts tho. sad sad

Why hasn't fashola single handedly give Nigerians 24hrs power supply upon all the everyday increase in electricity bill?

6 Likes

Re: Former U.S. Officials urge Biden to Back WTO's selection of Okonjo-Iweala by Samanza89: 6:53am On Jan 23, 2021
BOOOMNAIJA:

I wonder if we are in the same country. Before speaking go check about her antecedent during her tenure as finance minister. Nigeria's economy was the fastest growing economy when she was there.

2 Likes

Re: Former U.S. Officials urge Biden to Back WTO's selection of Okonjo-Iweala by thelinguist: 7:10am On Jan 23, 2021
Atlas9:

She made strident efforts to make us tread the path of rectitude. When Obasanjo became reckless, she resigned.
Under Jonathan, she insisted that the President should memo and sign every request for money to be released to the NSA (Sambo Dasuki) , and she kept meticulous records.
APC used almost 3 years to investigate her, before reluctantly agreeing that she was beyond reproach. This was one person who didn't need to enter government for gain.
She is tested and trusted. The fact that she has the right kind of support from powerful people in the political and diplomatic community is an advantage.
To be frank, it can't be proved that Trump is free from racism. She has American citizenship, so why block her progress if not that she is black? My view o...
so you think Trump single-handedly blocked her nomination?..America have their own candidate (the Korean).. Simple!.. If you want them to support Ngozi.. You negotiate with them!!.. If Biden supports her nomination, she will do their Bid

Re: Former U.S. Officials urge Biden to Back WTO's selection of Okonjo-Iweala by guy222: 7:15am On Jan 23, 2021
Starcrest1:
A breath of fresh air is here. Trump was a malodor that was lingering for too long. Why some uninformed Nigerians were supporting him still leaves me in a state of afulagafua.

This is brilliant.......
Afulagafu.......you say wetin?
Re: Former U.S. Officials urge Biden to Back WTO's selection of Okonjo-Iweala by guy222: 7:16am On Jan 23, 2021
Starcrest1:
A breath of fresh air is here. Trump was a malodor that was lingering for too long. Why some uninformed Nigerians were supporting him still leaves me in a state of afulagafua.

This is brilliant.......
Re: Former U.S. Officials urge Biden to Back WTO's selection of Okonjo-Iweala by Onepeople: 7:43am On Jan 23, 2021
BOOOMNAIJA:
How will economy grow under corrupt system, how can you single handedly blame NOI for the corruption in the system, any economist guru will fail under Nigeria system, tell me about reforms did she not bring any reform to the system?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Former U.S. Officials urge Biden to Back WTO's selection of Okonjo-Iweala by slowice(m): 8:03am On Jan 23, 2021
BOOOMNAIJA:

Oga with the crop of greedy politicians we have, nobody can singlehandedly turn around Nigeria's economy. You cannot vote in greedy idiots every 4yrs and expect a miracle from one person, where do you want her to start from? Nnpc or customs or senate or the presidency or our grredy governors or ministers? Even if you bring in world Bank to manage our economy it ll still fail....
. Everybody in government here is a thief but still noi forced their hands and brought in vital reforms.

2 Likes

Re: Former U.S. Officials urge Biden to Back WTO's selection of Okonjo-Iweala by Cantonese: 8:13am On Jan 23, 2021
abumeinben:
Man! See references.

Sincerely, I don't see her match yet. It's one thing to excel in an already blossoming economy. I give that to the Korean lady - Myuong-hee. But it's another to restructure a civil war torn, militarily governed economy of corruption political uncertainties from its state of stuttering to that of an expressiveness by making Nigeria the largest economy in Africa. In conjunction with Charles Soludo, we know how they crushed dollar from 160 to 120.

Common man! Who deserves this better?

The US sadists have been "femmed", according to Davido

Well written. Thanks.
Re: Former U.S. Officials urge Biden to Back WTO's selection of Okonjo-Iweala by IdeasPro(m): 8:25am On Jan 23, 2021
Maxymilliano:

Okonjo Iweala can get the plum positiy on the strength of her candidacy and experience, moreover, it's still early in the day for the new US President to get distracted with who become the next DG of the WTO.
Which one be your own na? You wan delay success for this erudite Amazon?
Re: Former U.S. Officials urge Biden to Back WTO's selection of Okonjo-Iweala by emkz: 8:30am On Jan 23, 2021
Let us remember that she ran to lead te World Bank during the Obama-Biden administration. She was not supported by them.

The US refusing to support her nomination for WTO chair has nothing to do with Trump, but everything to do with US trade interests which is bilateral trade, as opposed to multilateral trade agreements.

So if American interests are not protected, Biden won't support her.

1 Like

Re: Former U.S. Officials urge Biden to Back WTO's selection of Okonjo-Iweala by emkz: 8:32am On Jan 23, 2021
abumeinben:
Man! See references.

Sincerely, I don't see her match yet. It's one thing to excel in an already blossoming economy. I give that to the Korean lady - Myuong-hee. But it's another to restructure a civil war torn, militarily governed economy of corruption political uncertainties from its state of stuttering to that of an expressiveness by making Nigeria the largest economy in Africa. In conjunction with Charles Soludo, we know how they crushed dollar from 160 to 120.

My brother, I have two questions please: what mechanisms did Soludo use to crash the dollar?

And how does crashing the dollar translate to economic growth? I just want to learn.
Re: Former U.S. Officials urge Biden to Back WTO's selection of Okonjo-Iweala by Iskra: 9:17am On Jan 23, 2021
Your thoughts are as hollow or even worse than what you put down...I bet your thoughts are flowing out of your cultural orientation which has always been fearful of the force of her culture
BOOOMNAIJA:
Re: Former U.S. Officials urge Biden to Back WTO's selection of Okonjo-Iweala by Deserea: 9:21am On Jan 23, 2021
Whom God has blessed...

Re: Former U.S. Officials urge Biden to Back WTO's selection of Okonjo-Iweala by danchuzzy(m): 9:37am On Jan 23, 2021
BOOOMNAIJA:

ok
Re: Former U.S. Officials urge Biden to Back WTO's selection of Okonjo-Iweala by fof1: 10:08am On Jan 23, 2021
fergie001:

[url=https://allafrica.com/stories/202101220055.html]SOURCE

My God...Which Kind Woman be this?
Re: Former U.S. Officials urge Biden to Back WTO's selection of Okonjo-Iweala by Hermes119: 11:09am On Jan 23, 2021
BOOOMNAIJA:
Even if Guardiola manages the Nigerian national team do you think they would win the world cup
Re: Former U.S. Officials urge Biden to Back WTO's selection of Okonjo-Iweala by thatigboman: 11:14am On Jan 23, 2021
See people wey get sense
Re: Former U.S. Officials urge Biden to Back WTO's selection of Okonjo-Iweala by Uchasa(m): 11:20am On Jan 23, 2021
Igbo amaka boys will soon come to make noise
Re: Former U.S. Officials urge Biden to Back WTO's selection of Okonjo-Iweala by nonhuman(m): 1:08pm On Jan 23, 2021
BOOOMNAIJA:
you are just a pained he goat
Re: Former U.S. Officials urge Biden to Back WTO's selection of Okonjo-Iweala by TrueChristians: 1:09pm On Jan 23, 2021
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you.
Re: Former U.S. Officials urge Biden to Back WTO's selection of Okonjo-Iweala by emkz: 2:26pm On Jan 23, 2021
abumeinben:
Man! See references.

I'm not an economist bros. But the relevance of the Naira is relative to the value of the Dollar. What that means? I could import a $10k car for 1.2m. Now I do it for 4.9m. This is my best understanding of economics. For more info, enrol in a 2 year course on economics.

We speak so much about the value of the naira against the dollar, then you cited an example of the relative costs in importing a car. So since you seem to understand arm-chair economics, let me ask you again the question you conveniently ignored:

"What mechanisms did Soludo use to crash the dollar?"

As an addendum how sustainable is the mechanism?

On the costs of importing a car, my question to you is if you have a manufacturing economy, would the exchange rate matter, i.e., would you import the things you produce?

I suppose you studied basic demand and supply, the cost of dollars rises because we demand more dollars for imports. If we manufacture most of the things we import, the demand for dollars would drop, and you won't pay more to import a car.

Finally, do this exercise for yourself: go and study the largest economies worldwide, you'd see that they are manufacturing or service oriented countries. I have been to several African countries and other foreign countries, the way many of you speak about the dollars, one would think you know what you are on about.

Cheers.
Re: Former U.S. Officials urge Biden to Back WTO's selection of Okonjo-Iweala by abumeinben(m): 5:03pm On Jan 23, 2021
emkz:

We speak so much about the value of the naira against the dollar, then you cited an example of the relative costs in importing a car. So since you seem to understand arm-chair economics, let me ask you again the question you conveniently ignored:

"What mechanisms did Soludo use to crash the dollar?"

As an addendum how sustainable is the mechanism?

On the costs of importing a car, my question to you is if you have a manufacturing economy, would the exchange rate matter, i.e., would you import the things you produce?

I suppose you studied basic demand and supply, the cost of dollars rises because we demand more dollars for imports. If we manufacture most of the things we import, the demand for dollars would drop, and you won't pay more to import a car.

Finally, do this exercise for yourself: go and study the largest economies worldwide, you'd see that they are manufacturing or service oriented countries. I have been to several African countries and other foreign countries, the way many of you speak about the dollars, one would think you know what you are on about.

Cheers.

Well noted.

1 Like

Re: Former U.S. Officials urge Biden to Back WTO's selection of Okonjo-Iweala by pompeiimagnus: 5:39pm On Jan 23, 2021
emkz:

My brother, I have two questions please: what mechanisms did Soludo use to crash the dollar?

And how does crashing the dollar translate to economic growth? I just want to learn.

It was easier back then because oil was in high demand all over the world, and was sold between $80 to almost $110 per barrel. Today, oil is currently averaging $45 per barrel because the demand is low, and more producers are flooding the market.

To bring back $1 = N120, we have to start massive exportation of products to foreign countries where they are in high demand. These trade transactions are usually made in $$$, and would allow us to boost our reserves of the USD. It's just a factor of supply and demand, but it's going to be very very difficult for this to happen in the present state of Nigeria. Meanwhile our foreign reserve has depleted from $2B in 2014 to $72M today.
Re: Former U.S. Officials urge Biden to Back WTO's selection of Okonjo-Iweala by ofiko123(m): 12:31am On Jan 24, 2021
They should support Dr ngozi okonjo iweala, she is the right woman for the job...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Arrives In Nigeria Today After 10-day Medical Trip / Governor Fayose Recalls Six Sacked Commissioners / Aisha El-Rufai Presents Her Children For Vaccination - Flag-off Measles Campaign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.