Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,401 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:30 PM

Cross River Magistrates Say They Now Beg In Order To Survive - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cross River Magistrates Say They Now Beg In Order To Survive (10861 Views)

Avoid Delayed Justice, CJN, Ariwoola Tells Magistrates / Nigerians Calling For War During Endsars Now Beg For Evacuation In Ukraine / Sanwo-olu Donates 50 Cars To Lagos Magistrates(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cross River Magistrates Say They Now Beg In Order To Survive by adenigga(m): 6:42am On Jan 23, 2021
“We have been surviving through loans we obtained from banks, money lenders, friends and family. We also get assistance from some family members and friends who are already weary of carrying our burdens in addition to theirs.

“For me, I got bank loans and borrowed from people. We have been embarrassed several times. I got a loan to pay for rent, now my rent is due again. I am indebted to Sterling Bank, where I borrowed some money from in December 2019 to pay rent. I owe banks and people over N3million.

“We have been working without a salary for 24 months. We have our family members to cater for. The effect of this lingering issue on our families is better imagined than experienced.

“Our children suffer the humiliation of being driven from school because we cannot pay their school fees. Feeding our families has been very difficult and humiliating.”

Those were the lamentations of Chief Magistrate Solomon Abuo of Court 15 and spokesman of the 29 new Magistrates in Cross River State, who, for the past three weeks, have been having a running battle with the state government over their two years unpaid salaries.

Finding it difficult to cope with the situation, the Magistrates took to the streets between January 4 and 6, urging government to pay their salaries, given the sufferings they are passing through.

As a result, the state government has asked them to stop coming to work, pending when their matter is resolved. But most of them believe the ‘stop work’ order is part of strategy by government not to pay them the two years arrears when the matter is resolved.

Abuo, on behalf of the affected Magistrates, said government’s order on them to stop work until the issues are resolved is not the solution to the problem, but rather adds to it, as they are lots of cases pending before them. “We have lots of accused persons we sent to prison on remand. What is their fate? They are also suffering as a result of this problem.”

Asked of their next line, he said: “We are waiting till the end of this month. If salaries are paid and we are not paid the current month’s salary and our two years arrears, we would resume our protest.

“Our employment was not illegal or fraudulent. The state Judicial Service Commission (JSC) advertised for the vacancy for the magistracy. When we saw the public notice, we bought the forms and we applied. We were screened, interviewed and those of us who were successful were sworn-in by the Chief Judge of Cross River State, who is also the Chairman of the State JSC.

“After our swearing-in, we were sent for training by the state judiciary for about three months and that included a one-week induction course in Abuja and we were issued certificate of participation by the National Judicial Institute (NJI). Upon returning to the state, we were posted to different courts and we resumed sitting.

“To my knowledge, what was expected of us was done. Ours was to follow the process, apply for the job and make ourselves available to be screened. When we were not paid, we wrote series of letters to the government, we wrote to the office of the Secretary to the State Government, the JSC and the House of Assembly, and they are all aware of it.”

“For about three times, the state government had set up different screening exercise and we participated. If there were anything, they would have made it public since.”

Regarding the effect of judgments they had delivered in the last two years on the people and judiciary, the Magistrates spokesman stated: “Our judgments are valid and still subsisting until they are upturned on appeal.

“But if government continues to say that our employment was fraudulent, then they would incur lots of suits from lawyers who will go to court to have all our decisions reversed and ask for compensation for their clients.”

On some of his colleagues trying to sabotage their collective effort, Abuo said: “It has been brought to our notice that a colleague, in collusion with the Attorney General and Commissioner of Justice, is scheming to write a letter with the name of at least 20 of us and send same to the governor as representing those who have accepted to forfeit their two years salaries.

“We wish to set the records straight by stating that on Tuesday, January 19, this year, we held an emergency meeting where we resolved that we were not going to forfeit our 24 months salaries as proposed by the attorney general.

“Sequel to this, we wrote a letter, dated January 19, this year, to the governor through the Attorney General, where we clearly refused to accede to that request, but rather stated, inter alia, that nevertheless, we are open to accept a one year lump sum payment and thereafter, the balance could be staggered in subsequent months.”

“However, the attorney general refused to receive and transmit this letter to the governor.

“Thus, we are notifying the press and the general public to disregard any statement or documents expressing a different position from that which we hold, unless it is duly signed by my humble self and/or my colleague, Arit Edem, the only recognised representatives of the 29 Magistrates appointed from the private Bar in February 2019.

“However, we are having meetings with such persons to make them see reasons why they should not sell us out. We will only achieve our goals if we are united. We are sorting those issues as we speak.”

https://m.guardian.ng/News/We-now-beg-to-survive-Cross-River-magistrates-lament

5 Likes

Re: Cross River Magistrates Say They Now Beg In Order To Survive by Zonex1(m): 6:51am On Jan 23, 2021
as if I care shaa nah una send my brother go jail call am Yahoo nah hunger go kill una

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cross River Magistrates Say They Now Beg In Order To Survive by owobokiri(m): 6:58am On Jan 23, 2021
The judiciary is supposed to be an equal part of the government with the legislature and the executive! To see the judiciary of a state starved of funds so ruthlessly that judges have to match and beg is not just illegal but demeaning too! The governor needs to be called to order and the constitutional review that suggested an independent allocation system for the local governments in Nigeria, should look at the possibility of mapping out legislations to make the payment systems for workers in the legislature independent of the executive branch too.. That way, allocations from the federal government for states will be paid directly to dedicated accounts for judicial and may be legislative workers. Governors should stop acting like emperors..

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cross River Magistrates Say They Now Beg In Order To Survive by Nbestdone: 7:09am On Jan 23, 2021
It is well
Re: Cross River Magistrates Say They Now Beg In Order To Survive by inoki247: 7:10am On Jan 23, 2021
Imagine Magistrates dey beg to survive....

1 Like

Re: Cross River Magistrates Say They Now Beg In Order To Survive by BigConcept: 7:10am On Jan 23, 2021
Hmmm

1 Like

Re: Cross River Magistrates Say They Now Beg In Order To Survive by Martialb1(m): 7:10am On Jan 23, 2021
Its not their fault sha, this country is damned I say. The government is not doing their job at all, every time I go around the court area in enugu I see lawyers who look haggard and tattered, WHY?. Because the judiciary section in Nigeria is not being maintained. Sometimes I fear for those going to read law in school

14 Likes

Re: Cross River Magistrates Say They Now Beg In Order To Survive by Nobody: 7:10am On Jan 23, 2021
things like this mostly happened to bleeped up countries like Nigeria
so sad

3 Likes

Re: Cross River Magistrates Say They Now Beg In Order To Survive by ecomalchemist(m): 7:10am On Jan 23, 2021
Things are happening, let's keep watch.

Affordable megatron 30,000mah and 50,000mah powerbanks, fast charging cords with 4 output units, type c and normal usb cord. payment on delivery within Lagos and Nationwide dispatch. Retail // Wholesale deals available

Check sign
Re: Cross River Magistrates Say They Now Beg In Order To Survive by GidiCars: 7:11am On Jan 23, 2021
Nigeria is a very useless country, the country needs to be dissolved while new constitutions are drafted according to each region's tradition. Public officials should swear with our gods in the new tradition, no more quran or Bible.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cross River Magistrates Say They Now Beg In Order To Survive by bonechamberlain(m): 7:12am On Jan 23, 2021
A failed country angry whose only solutions is total balkanization

3 Likes

Re: Cross River Magistrates Say They Now Beg In Order To Survive by prince4pro2: 7:13am On Jan 23, 2021
Is it not Nigeria again?
Re: Cross River Magistrates Say They Now Beg In Order To Survive by yemmybx(m): 7:13am On Jan 23, 2021
And the Governor is a professor.....

2 Likes

Re: Cross River Magistrates Say They Now Beg In Order To Survive by Dcaliphate(m): 7:14am On Jan 23, 2021
wahala for who dey depend on government this buhari era

1 Like

Re: Cross River Magistrates Say They Now Beg In Order To Survive by jawalis(m): 7:14am On Jan 23, 2021
Pls deal with your problem. Every other states are doing the same.
Re: Cross River Magistrates Say They Now Beg In Order To Survive by ojun50(m): 7:15am On Jan 23, 2021
Una doh
Re: Cross River Magistrates Say They Now Beg In Order To Survive by Nintconcept: 7:15am On Jan 23, 2021
Ok
Re: Cross River Magistrates Say They Now Beg In Order To Survive by oriewanbe: 7:15am On Jan 23, 2021
Magistrates that don't know what to do in this situation are these magistrates? Am I the one to tell them what to do? Shame on them.

1 Like

Re: Cross River Magistrates Say They Now Beg In Order To Survive by igborobutter2: 7:16am On Jan 23, 2021
Lmao
Re: Cross River Magistrates Say They Now Beg In Order To Survive by helinues: 7:17am On Jan 23, 2021
Toh

Meanwhile, Ayade and his deputy are both professor.

2 Likes

Re: Cross River Magistrates Say They Now Beg In Order To Survive by Abudu2000(m): 7:17am On Jan 23, 2021
So they were even able to have families when some youths are unable to get married now. One said he owes 3milllion,some ppl can't even secure loans of 10k coz they are unelligible. These migistrates can all go to hell for all we care

1 Like

Re: Cross River Magistrates Say They Now Beg In Order To Survive by olufunmi01(m): 7:17am On Jan 23, 2021
The governor needs to be impeached

3 Likes

Re: Cross River Magistrates Say They Now Beg In Order To Survive by Enudapan: 7:17am On Jan 23, 2021
Nah eh! No qualms
The reason why I like the bombing career
You can never sit at home doing nothing
And you will be surely cashing out massively
Re: Cross River Magistrates Say They Now Beg In Order To Survive by Analyst7: 7:19am On Jan 23, 2021
Omo people dey see shege for this country

1 Like

Re: Cross River Magistrates Say They Now Beg In Order To Survive by jojofola: 7:20am On Jan 23, 2021
Una never see anything.
Na all of us go get sense by force.

1 Like

Re: Cross River Magistrates Say They Now Beg In Order To Survive by frankmoney(m): 7:20am On Jan 23, 2021
Ok
Re: Cross River Magistrates Say They Now Beg In Order To Survive by Maxcollins042(m): 7:23am On Jan 23, 2021
Nawa o

2 Likes

Re: Cross River Magistrates Say They Now Beg In Order To Survive by yommen: 7:24am On Jan 23, 2021
Zonex1:
as if I care shaa nah una send my brother go jail call am Yahoo nah hunger go kill una

Is your bro yahoo or not? What do you stand for? The police arrested your bro and took him to court. Didn't you subscribe to the service of a lawyer? Your bro had a chance to prove that he isn't guilty as charged. I guess he couldn't.

Nigerian youths should please shun crime.

3 Likes

Re: Cross River Magistrates Say They Now Beg In Order To Survive by adenigga(m): 7:25am On Jan 23, 2021
Martialb1:
Its not their fault sha, this country is damned I say. The government is not doing their job at all, every time I go around the court area in enugu I see lawyers who look haggard and tattered, WHY?. Because the judiciary section in Nigeria is not being maintained. Sometimes I fear for those going to read law in school

Hmmnnn!!!......

Re: Cross River Magistrates Say They Now Beg In Order To Survive by IMASTEX: 7:25am On Jan 23, 2021
Why are you complaining now. What of all the monies for denying or delaying justice for the common man?! Judiciary is a PA to the executive.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Akwa Ibom Assembly Passes Anti-open Grazing Bill / Voter Turnout: Nigeria Ranks World’s Second Worst Nation – Report / Pics. Shocking. Nnamdi Kanu's Company Is Worth £844

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.