Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,815 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:21 AM

Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) (3147 Views)

My Journey Into Livestock Farming (Noiler 1st) / I'm Considering Going Into Agric Business But Don't know How To Go About It / Tilapia And Cat Fish Coming Out Of The Ground In Delta After The Rain (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) by gadegunle(f): 5:28pm On Jan 23, 2021
Good evening everyone, how are we all doing?

I have been a silent member of Nairaland for many years now( lol)

This year I have decided to step out of my comfort zone.
Nairaland has been informative and helpful in one way or the other to me over the years so I have decided to also share my experience in agric business to help others who may want to venture into this.

Please note I am not a professional yet but the baby steps we have taken so far I can say confidently any newbie can learn from our mistakes and also our results.

Going forward I would share how the business started ,the progress as well with pictures and videos.

I will also appreciate intellectual contributions, no insults and all Please.

As a teachable person I am open to corrections and advice as no man is an island.

So......let's moveee......

Hubby and I have also had Interest in agriculture, we once ventured into poultry egg production to be precise many years back so during the lockdown last year we decided to go back to our passion.

The first step we took was getting a name for put business so we brainstormed and got 4 names for Cac name search.
The last option Glorious field Agric and investment limited was picked even though we wanted Gracefield.

Once we got a name approved we started a limited liability Company registration around June 2020.

While waiting for the registration we began to look for land for agriculture.

We were taken to so many places in ogun state but I preferred Abeokuta sagamu expressway way after Interchange because of development on that axis.

Luckily for us a friend had another friend who knew a Baale around that environment and we got 3 acres of land.

More updates.....

Re: Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) by gadegunle(f): 5:36pm On Jan 23, 2021
We got an engineer to assist in the construction and an architect designed the farm structure but we made a mistake not to have explained in details what we wanted so he designed a mini bungalow instead.

The engineer friend said it was okay but when we started construction and we were spending so much on farm house we realised our mistakes.

*Note please before you start any farm project have a budget for each stage so you don't end up over spending unnecessarily.

Going forward we started land clearing and this took several weeks as the engineer and was not straight forward.
Shortly construction of the farm house and poultry pen started

Re: Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) by gadegunle(f): 5:42pm On Jan 23, 2021
While construction was going on, we got a graphic designer to design a logo for the company and we ended up picking this one.

After getting the logo we opened social media accounts on Instagram and a Facebook page.

Instagram @gloriousfield_

Facebook gloriousfieldagric.

We also opened a company email gloriousfieldagric@gmail.com.
We linked our social media together .

*To use WhatsApp for business you simply go to playstore on android and download it.
It has catalogue for products information and all.

1 Like

Re: Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) by gadegunle(f): 5:48pm On Jan 23, 2021
The farm house construction lingered on for over 4 months and we became impatient with the engineer as the work was so slow and yet we were spending money.
By the 6th month we stopped the engineer and faced the construction work ourselves.

By this time our company registration was out so we opened a corporate account for the company ,got out Tax identification number, did business card and branded t-shirts.

When we took over the construction the project became fast.

1 Like

Re: Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) by Mrceragem: 5:58pm On Jan 23, 2021
nice move but always always adhere to biosecurity,

can you also use wire fence to secure your perimeter in you cannt fence all your farm now
Re: Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) by gadegunle(f): 6:06pm On Jan 23, 2021
Mrceragem:
nice move but always always adhere to biosecurity,

can you also use wire fence to secure your perimeter in you cannt fence all your farm now

Thanks so much for your contribution and advise.
We have fenced the plots where we have poultry pen and the farm house.

I will upload more pictures soon.

The wire fence is a very good one infact if we knew we would have used it for some parts.
Re: Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) by gadegunle(f): 6:40pm On Jan 23, 2021
We continued with the construction and fenced 3 plots where we have the poultry pen,farm house and space for cat fish.

Then we decided to do do bore hole for water,this took us alot of time and we did it twice before getting water to run the farm.

After the bore hole was working we covered the pen with thick nylon all around.
We got feeders,and every accessory needed for the poultry.Remember I said we did egg production before but this time around we also got broilers as there is a chicken processing plant beside us very big the manager kept on disturbing us to breed broilers so they can buy from us to process.

We were abit skeptical at first but later succumbed and it almost landed us in debts.

That's a story for another day

(I have tried to upload the pictures but its giving me error.)

1 Like

Re: Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) by gadegunle(f): 6:44pm On Jan 23, 2021
For the dog breeding aspect we got two Rottweilers a male and female dogs .

We built two kernels for them and also registered with a veterinary doctor.

Re: Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) by gadegunle(f): 7:01pm On Jan 23, 2021
Re: Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) by Iseoluwani: 7:51pm On Jan 23, 2021
pls continue am encouraged
Re: Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) by Iseoluwani: 7:52pm On Jan 23, 2021
gadegunle:
While construction was going on, we got a graphic designer to design a logo for the company and we ended up picking this one.

After getting the logo we opened social media accounts on Instagram and a Facebook page.
@gloriousfield_ and gloriousfieldagric.
We also opened a company email gloriousfieldagric@gmail.com.
We linked our instagram to the Facebook page and also to the WhatsApp business.

*To use WhatsApp for business you simply go to playstore on android and download it.
It has catalogue for products information and all.

pls continue
Re: Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) by Mrceragem: 8:28pm On Jan 23, 2021
gadegunle:

Thanks so much for your contribution and advise.
We have fenced the plots where we have poultry pen and the farm house.

I will upload more pictures soon.

The wire fence is a very good one infact if we knew we would have used it for some parts.

Do you know of shika layer

its very good and diesase resistance.

1 Like

Re: Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) by Mrceragem: 8:35pm On Jan 23, 2021
gadegunle:
We continued with the construction and fenced 3 plots where we have the poultry pen,farm house and space for cat fish.

Then we decided to do do bore hole for water,this took us alot of time and we did it twice before getting water to run the farm.

After the bore hole was working we covered the pen with thick nylon all around.
We got feeders,and every accessory needed for the poultry.Rememver I said we did egg production before but this time around we also got broilers as there is a chicken processing plant beside us very big thr manager kept on disturbing us to breed broilers so they can buy from us to process.

We were abit skeptical at first but later succumbed and it almost landed us in debts.

That's a story for another day

(I have tried to upload the pictures but its giving me error.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FmihFN4Fao
pls watch focus on their method of charcoal heater and how they group the dayold chick in batches of 100
Re: Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) by prince4pro2: 8:52pm On Jan 23, 2021
Following
Re: Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) by adeniran22890: 11:23pm On Jan 23, 2021
Re: Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) by gadegunle(f): 11:33pm On Jan 23, 2021
Iseoluwani:
Thanks for following

1 Like

Re: Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) by gadegunle(f): 11:33pm On Jan 23, 2021
Mrceragem:

Do you know of shika layer

its very good and diesase resistance.

No I don't know shika layers
Re: Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) by gadegunle(f): 11:34pm On Jan 23, 2021
adeniran22890:

Thanks for following

1 Like

Re: Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) by gadegunle(f): 11:35pm On Jan 23, 2021
Mrceragem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FmihFN4Fao
pls watch focus on their method of charcoal heater and how they group the dayold chick in batches of 100

This method is nice and innovative sir.
Thanks for sharing
Re: Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) by gadegunle(f): 11:54pm On Jan 23, 2021
For the cat fish we dug a concrete pit but the casting was not done properly and unfortunately as we poured 1000 fingerlings inside it all the water drained out and the 1000 cat fishes died.

We really felt bad but decided not to give up so the man who got the fingerlings from told us about 5000 litres tanks and we decided to get two.

See the pictures below

We have 1000 fingerlings in each 5000 litres tank

Re: Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) by Mrceragem: 1:00am On Jan 24, 2021
gadegunle:

No I don't know shika layers

one of the best layer develop in zaira (Kaduna)
The Shika Brown chicken breed is the preferred layer strain in Nigeria. Its characteristics include excellent shell quality, high production rate, persistency, egg weight, liveability, and feed conversion.

1 Like

Re: Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) by Mrceragem: 1:01am On Jan 24, 2021
gadegunle:

This method is nice and innovative sir.
Thanks for sharing

You are welcome
Re: Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) by MoneyDeyBush: 1:48am On Jan 24, 2021
coozl

Re: Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) by Iseoluwani: 6:17am On Jan 24, 2021
gadegunle:
For the cat fish we dug a concrete pit but the casting was not done properly and unfortunately as we poured 1000 fingerlings inside it all the water drained out and the 1000 cat fishes died.

We really felt bad but decided not to give up so the man who got the fingerlings from told us about 5000 litres tanks and we decided to get two.

See the pictures below

We have 1000 fingerlings in each 5000 litres tank

I must say, you guys are rich. it's not easy going into poultry, dogs, chicken at. the same time with building and innovations. m impressed because both of you never give up. am more impressed because both of you found your right calling, most impressed because you see your future and you took your present serious I wont be surprised when Grace field agric limited becomes a household name in agric. my sincere prayer is that God will keep your marriage. pls continue. don't be discouraged.

pls show me more.
However if you would help with some breakdown like cost of
dogs, cost of fingerlings, what do u feed your dogs,

have u though of Goats and rams biz.

You can risk cows biz too even if It is just 3. since you want to touch all aspect. I love animal husbandry slot as compared to crop production.

always do well to mention me

2 Likes

Re: Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) by Iseoluwani: 6:18am On Jan 24, 2021
MoneyDeyBush:
coozl
I like your name. inu gbo lowo wa
Re: Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) by gadegunle(f): 12:12pm On Jan 24, 2021
Mrceragem:

one of the best layer develop in zaira (Kaduna)
The Shika Brown chicken breed is the preferred layer strain in Nigeria. Its characteristics include excellent shell quality, high production rate, persistency, egg weight, liveability, and feed conversion.

Good afternoon sir, Happy Sunday.
Thanks for your intellectual contributions
I googled the shika brown chicken too and read so much about them.
I must say agriculture will continue to evolve as knowledge is increasing.
Re: Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) by gadegunle(f): 12:22pm On Jan 24, 2021
@iseoluwani
Happy Sunday sir and I say a big Amen to all your prayers.

The company's name is Glorious Field agric and investment limited.

Well we are trusting God not to be discouraged as it is not funny that the Nigerian government is not supporting farmers but surely God's grace is sufficient.

* We got cat fish fingerlings #15 per one

* We feed the dogs Royal Canin and booster they have really grown now ,I will update their pictures soon.

* We had livestock in mind because we did it before( goat and ram )some years back but due to the cost of feeding the poultry birds we won't be venturing into that for now.

* Another aspect we currently focus on is food processing and packaging( more updates on this as well)

Thanks so much for your contributions and kinds words
God bless you.
Iseoluwani:

I must say, you guys are rich. it's not easy going into poultry, dogs, chicken at. the same time with building and innovations. m impressed because both of you never give up. am more impressed because both of you found your right calling, most impressed because you see your future and you took your present serious I wont be surprised when Grace field agric limited becomes a household name in agric. my sincere prayer is that God will keep your marriage. pls continue. don't be discouraged.

pls show me more.
However if you would help with some breakdown like cost of
dogs, cost of fingerlings, what do u feed your dogs,

have u though of Goats and rams biz.

You can risk cows biz too even if It is just 3. since you want to touch all aspect. I love animal husbandry slot as compared to crop production.

always do well to mention me

1 Like

Re: Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) by gadegunle(f): 12:31pm On Jan 24, 2021
Happy Sunday everyone,
I know the economy has really hit the poultry industry due to the lockdown many farmers could not produce maize and hence the little we have available many middle men have hoard it and this triggered high cost of poultry feeds.

Many poultry farmers sold their birds and incured terrible loses ,many are still at the verge of selling off everything and many don't even know what to do.

One thing is sure we must not give up we must be innovative and resilient.

Some solutions.
1. You can try organic poultry farming ( I don't know much about this but I have come across many threads on nairaland)
2. You can also make your feeds yourself to reduce the costs of production too

3. You can plant maize if you have space

Every business comes with trying times but no condition is permanent.

*I also want to ask does any one have an idea other options to getting battery cage for layers?

Thanks
Re: Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) by Mrceragem: 12:49pm On Jan 24, 2021
gadegunle:

Good afternoon sir, Happy Sunday.
Thanks for your intellectual contributions
I googled the shika brown chicken too and read so much about them.
I must say agriculture will continue to evolve as knowledge is increasing.

yes
Re: Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) by Mrceragem: 12:51pm On Jan 24, 2021
gadegunle:
Happy Sunday everyone,
I know the economy has really hit the poultry industry due to the lockdown many farmers could not produce maize and hence the little we have available many middle men have hoard it and this triggered high cost of poultry feeds.

Many poultry farmers sold their birds and incured terrible loses ,many are still at the verge of selling off everything and many don't even know what to do.

One thing is sure we must not give up we must be innovative and resilient.

Some solutions.
1. You can try organic poultry farming ( I don't know much about this but I have come across many threads on nairaland)
2. You can also make your feeds yourself to reduce the costs of production too

3. You can plant maize if you have space

Every business comes with trying times but no condition is permanent.

*I also want to ask does any one have an idea other options to getting battery cage for layers?

Thanks

what exactly do you mean
Re: Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) by gadegunle(f): 1:25pm On Jan 24, 2021
Mrceragem:

I meant that is there any other option asides buying battery cage for layers?

Battery cages are expensive right now.

Thanks

what exactly do you mean
Re: Journey Into Agric Business(poultry, Cat Fish ,dog Breeding And Food Packaging) by Donemmy(m): 1:58pm On Jan 24, 2021
gadegunle:
@iseoluwani
Happy Sunday sir and I say a big Amen to all your prayers.

The company's name is Glorious Field agric and investment limited, Grace field was not approved.

Well we are trusting God not to be discouraged as it is not funny that the Nigerian government is not supporting farmers but surely God's grace is sufficient.

* We got cat fish fingerlings #15 per one

* We feed the dogs Royal Canin and booster they have really grown now ,I will update their pictures soon.

* We had livestock in mind because we did it before( goat and ram )some years back but due to the cost of feeding the poultry birds we won't be venturing into that for now.

* Another aspect we currently focus on is food processing and packaging( more updates on this as well)

Thanks so much for your contributions and kinds words
God bless you.
Looking at the present cost of feeds, i suggest you go into self milling to reduce cost and guarantee good quality feed.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

100 Metres Diameter Raingun For Sale on Cash & Carry basis!!! / Young Ram Needed Urgently(both Male And Female) / 5 Easy Ways To Manage Your Manure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.