Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,329 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:22 AM

INEC Postpones Parliamentary Elections Till Saturday April 9 2011 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / INEC Postpones Parliamentary Elections Till Saturday April 9 2011 (6601 Views)

Saraki Hosts A Parliamentary Delegation From Colombia (Photos) / Breaking News: INEC Postpones Elections In 11 Federal Constituencies In Jigawa / The Pictures That May Prompt Jonathan To Postpone The Elections Till Next Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

INEC Postpones Parliamentary Elections Till Saturday April 9 2011 by 9ijaMan: 5:19pm On Apr 03, 2011
Posted: April 3, 2011 - 16:47

By SaharaReporters, New York
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has provisionally agreed with political parties to postpone the parliamentary elections earlier schedule for tomorrow till Saturday April 9th 2011.

http://www.saharareporters.com/news-page/again-inec-postpones-parliamentary-elections-till-saturday-april-9-2011
Re: INEC Postpones Parliamentary Elections Till Saturday April 9 2011 by 9ijaMan: 5:21pm On Apr 03, 2011
Finally INEC listens to voices of reason and bowed to rationality.
Re: INEC Postpones Parliamentary Elections Till Saturday April 9 2011 by Ugeh: 5:28pm On Apr 03, 2011
Haba Jega. You can now see that criticizing from the sidelines is much easier than mounting the hot seat. God save Nigeria
Re: INEC Postpones Parliamentary Elections Till Saturday April 9 2011 by Nobody: 5:34pm On Apr 03, 2011
The parties insisted on this move.
Re: INEC Postpones Parliamentary Elections Till Saturday April 9 2011 by zenus(m): 5:39pm On Apr 03, 2011
Good News. Just heard on NTA
Re: INEC Postpones Parliamentary Elections Till Saturday April 9 2011 by proudly9ja(m): 5:43pm On Apr 03, 2011
@aisha, while I believe that you may have more info than I do as regards Jega's abilities, I must say that it was irrational and unthinkable for Jega to ask that the elections hold on Monday in the first place.

Considering the wide complaints about irregularities including missing logos and names of parties on ballot papers, impromptu replacement of INEC adhoc staff at some polling units, etc there was no way INEC would have conducted a free and fair election come Monday. In fact, I now thank God the elections did not hold last Saturday. Only God knows how we would have handled the crisis that would have suceeded it.
Re: INEC Postpones Parliamentary Elections Till Saturday April 9 2011 by Odunnu: 5:57pm On Apr 03, 2011
9ijaMan:

Finally INEC listens to voices of reason and bowed to rationality.
where has he displayed irrationality?why do you hate so much?i'm worried about you
Re: INEC Postpones Parliamentary Elections Till Saturday April 9 2011 by Kilode1: 6:02pm On Apr 03, 2011
Good decision! Holding the elections on the same day is better for all parties, Even PDP will benefit.
Re: INEC Postpones Parliamentary Elections Till Saturday April 9 2011 by usbcable(m): 6:03pm On Apr 03, 2011
This is another sign of how GEJ does not interfere with judicial or election matters.
would buhari have allowed this?
mba.
Folks wont see anything but the negatives of GEJ. i dislike PDP but GEJ is a better option than a Buhari that ruled supreme without recourse to masses opinion in his 20 month stint @ presidency.
Re: INEC Postpones Parliamentary Elections Till Saturday April 9 2011 by 9ijaMan: 6:04pm On Apr 03, 2011
aisha2:

The parties insisted on this move.
I'm very much aware of that. Thanks.

Odunnu:

where has he displayed irrationality?why do you hate so much?i'm worried about you
Normally I would not have answered you, however, how would you learn if we decide to ignore you. In case you haven't figured it out yet, it was absolutely and extremely irrational for Jega, a man I respect a lot, to think, let alone announce that the suspended elections can be held on Monday.
Re: INEC Postpones Parliamentary Elections Till Saturday April 9 2011 by infohenry(m): 6:06pm On Apr 03, 2011
So what happen to the presidential election original schedule for 9th.
Re: INEC Postpones Parliamentary Elections Till Saturday April 9 2011 by 9ijaMan: 6:07pm On Apr 03, 2011
usbcable:

This is another sign of how GEJ does not interfere with judicial or election matters.
mba.
Folks wont see anything but the negatives of GEJ. i dislike PDP but GEJ is a better option than a Buhari that ruled supreme without recourse to masses opinion in his 20 month stint @ presidency.

Haven't I warned you to go to the kiddies section? What exactly is the meaning of the gibberish you typed above. God. . .! I would spank you terribly if you were my sibling.

How on earth could GEJ have had any other option? In fact if GEJ had tried to insist on the election for tomorrow, PDP would be given the BON debate treatment, shikena.
Re: INEC Postpones Parliamentary Elections Till Saturday April 9 2011 by 9ijaMan: 6:10pm On Apr 03, 2011
info henry:

So what happen to the presidential election original schedule for 9th.
National Assy: Saturday 9th of April
Presidential: Saturday 16th of April
State Assy/Governors: Tuesday 19th April

I need to confirm the date though. I got that much from another thread.
Re: INEC Postpones Parliamentary Elections Till Saturday April 9 2011 by efisher(m): 6:11pm On Apr 03, 2011
usbcable:

mba.

You are right. GEJ said that during the debate. He has allowed JEGA function independently. He deserves some credit.
Re: INEC Postpones Parliamentary Elections Till Saturday April 9 2011 by enyojo(f): 6:22pm On Apr 03, 2011
9ijaMan:

National Assy: Saturday 9th of April
Presidential: Saturday 16th of April
State Assy/Governors: Tuesday 19th April

I need to confirm the date though. I got that much from another thread.

[size=20pt]CORRECT. I HEARD JEGA MADE THE BROADCAST A WHILE AGO
IT IS NASS: SAT 9TH
PRESIDENTIAL: SAT 16
GOV/ASSEMBLY: TUE 26TH
[/size]
Re: INEC Postpones Parliamentary Elections Till Saturday April 9 2011 by mrofficial(m): 6:25pm On Apr 03, 2011
They keep postponing the death of PDP.  grin
Re: INEC Postpones Parliamentary Elections Till Saturday April 9 2011 by Vigilante: 6:26pm On Apr 03, 2011
@aisha - please say something more. U cant just tell us what we know. You spent all yesterday making Jega look good, now?WHAT IS IT IN JEGA THAT MAKE YOU PEOPLE BELIEVE EVERYTHING HE SAYS.
Re: INEC Postpones Parliamentary Elections Till Saturday April 9 2011 by nastydamus(m): 6:31pm On Apr 03, 2011
Odunnu:

But Jega it was who announced the first postponement to 4th of April, yes?
That was an irrational move, face it.
An election that he had at least a 6-month head-start to prepare for but couldn't execute as planned with some of the voting materials already compromised and in circulation as a result.
Did you honestly believe that an election conducted on 4th April would've had any better level of integrity?
Re: INEC Postpones Parliamentary Elections Till Saturday April 9 2011 by Coolabbie: 6:38pm On Apr 03, 2011
mr.official:

They keep postponing the death of PDP.  grin
grin D pdp is actually in d throes of death, gasping 4 breath. Dis tym dey wont escape it.
Re: INEC Postpones Parliamentary Elections Till Saturday April 9 2011 by enyojo(f): 6:43pm On Apr 03, 2011
Coolabbie:

grin D pdp is actually in d throes of death, gasping 4 breath. Dis tym dey wont escape it.

IF YOU WISH MORE THAN DEATH FOR PDP I'M IN TOTAL SUPPORT. BUT DON'T WISHFUL THINK THAT WILL HAPPEN WHEN YOU LIE ON YOUR CUSHION CHAIR FACEBOOKING, NAIRALANDING OR TWEETING.
GO VOTE!! angry sad smiley cheesy grin
Re: INEC Postpones Parliamentary Elections Till Saturday April 9 2011 by Coolabbie: 6:48pm On Apr 03, 2011
@enyojo yes o! I am not leaving anything to chance dis tym. Anyway dis wuld be my 1st tym of voting, so dere is no way i'll miss d experience.
Re: INEC Postpones Parliamentary Elections Till Saturday April 9 2011 by nn5ive: 6:49pm On Apr 03, 2011
JEGA claimed that vendors contracted to supply materials failed to meet the Friday 5.30pm deadline given to them, despite that ten airforce jets were on standby to convey all materials to the States. The question for Mr JEGA is this: was it one vendor that was responsible for supplying all the materials? Who is the vendor - Nigerians needs to know this contractor that chose to sabotage a national effort, so we can blacklist him/her forthwith. Failure to name this vendor will be suspicious.
If the vendor failed to deliver, why was the materials for the House of Representatives elections not missing except for those of the Senate? Were they printed by different companies? The attitude of allowing national catastrophe to cause commotion and pass without resignations, sacks or punishments, needs to be done away with - its a bad democratic tradition. This was a national crisis of monumental dimension and if JEGA is not to pay, SOMEONE MUST BE MADE TO!
Re: INEC Postpones Parliamentary Elections Till Saturday April 9 2011 by kefidoh(m): 7:10pm On Apr 03, 2011
I guess gov/state assembly election is on the 26th of april and not 16th as some people posted.
Re: INEC Postpones Parliamentary Elections Till Saturday April 9 2011 by fashoga(m): 7:13pm On Apr 03, 2011
Breaking News: The rescheduled National Assembly elections will not hold tomorrow, monday, April 4,again. A decision has been taken by the INEC to move it to saturday, April 9, the original date for the Presidential election.Presidential election will now hold on saturday, April 16 while the state Assembly and Governorship polls will hold on tuesday, April 26, so there is work tomorrow,
Re: INEC Postpones Parliamentary Elections Till Saturday April 9 2011 by geogentle: 7:24pm On Apr 03, 2011
Saturday, April 9th 2011 – Senate and House of Representatives (National Assembly) elections.
Saturday, April 16th 2011 – Presidential election
Tuesday, April 26th 2011 – State House of Assembly and Governorship elections

Source: http://www.inecnigeria.org/press-release-inec-reschedules-2011-general-elections/
Re: INEC Postpones Parliamentary Elections Till Saturday April 9 2011 by enyojo(f): 7:44pm On Apr 03, 2011
kefidoh:

I guess gov/state assembly election is on the 26th of april and not 16th as some people posted.

I heard something like dat from Jega's lips. But everywhere on facebook, I saw 19th, so I changed. Am I confused?
Re: INEC Postpones Parliamentary Elections Till Saturday April 9 2011 by Eziachi: 7:54pm On Apr 03, 2011
usbcable:

mba.

This thread is not about Buhari.  On the presidential election day, go and thank PDP for the past 12 years of selfless service to you with another four years.
Silly me! the new theory is, party no longer matters, especially the biggest one in Africa, the vote is not for PDP, its for Jonathan instead, who has been washed clean of any PDP contermination and certify a saint by the gods of goodluck and will rule all by himself, having been absent on holiday on planet jupiter since 1999 oblivious of anything.
Re: INEC Postpones Parliamentary Elections Till Saturday April 9 2011 by usbcable(m): 7:55pm On Apr 03, 2011
9ijaMan:

Haven't I warned you to go to the kiddies section? What exactly is the meaning of the gibberish you typed above. God. . .! I would spank you terribly if you were my sibling.
grin u r not serious

9ijaMan:

How on earth could GEJ have had any other option? In fact if GEJ had tried to insist on the election for tomorrow, PDP would be given the BON debate treatment, shikena.
but you still need to commend him for non inteference. And Buhari's military training and countenance will always make him a adamant ''allknowing'' leader ruler
enyojo:

[size=20pt]CORRECT. I HEARD JEGA MADE THE BROADCAST A WHILE AGO
IT IS NASS: SAT 9TH
PRESIDENTIAL: SAT 16
GOV/ASSEMBLY: TUE 19TH
[/size]
my friend with your big fonts its mis information you want to give to us.
Re: INEC Postpones Parliamentary Elections Till Saturday April 9 2011 by Eziachi: 8:06pm On Apr 03, 2011
geogentle:

Saturday, April 9th 2011 – Senate and House of Representatives (National Assembly) elections.
Saturday, April 16th 2011 – Presidential election
Tuesday, April 26th 2011 – State House of Assembly and Governorship elections

Source: http://www.inecnigeria.org/press-release-inec-reschedules-2011-general-elections/
I told you guys yesterday that only PDP will agree that senseless monday election after the fiasco less than 48 hours earlier, because they don't believe voting process anyway.
I also said it that PDP will never agree to a fusion election, when they're busy now even campaigning against their own candidates in most places like Lagos, they are preaching vote Fashola for governorship and then Jonathan for president, eventhough they have a candidate vying against Fashola.

They knew if you fuse the NASS with presidency, that that their theory will bite the dust because often people will tend to vote the same logo in a fusion election.
Re: INEC Postpones Parliamentary Elections Till Saturday April 9 2011 by 9ijaMan: 8:16pm On Apr 03, 2011
usbcable:

but you still need to commend him for non inteference. And Buhari's military training and countenance will always make him a adamant ''allknowing''
Omode yi (this little child), u no dey hear word o! If Buhari were to have used his "military training and countenance" as your blindly claim, he surely wold not have been in court for 50 months after being rigged from the presidency in 2003 and 2007. Buhari's CPC was one of the first parties who called for the election to be held next Saturday as against GEJ's PDP. Get your facts right before you make false claims.

Oya, vamoose. Off you go to the kiddies section! angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Buhari Killed The Brother Of Nollywood Actor (Osuofia) / Adorable Photos Of Olusegun Obasanjo's Son Dare & His White Wife And Son / If Herdsman Had Known That Deltans Were Tough People They Wouldn't Have Attack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.