Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,270 members, 7,811,794 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:42 PM

Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? (91214 Views)

Why Do Judges Break The Nib Of Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence / Why Masturbation Can Destroy Your Career / CJN Bars Judges From Uploading Personal Pictures On Social Media (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Korinnesta: 8:29pm On Jan 23, 2021
Lawyers in the house, pls why do judges destroy their pen after pronouncing a death sentence??

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by hakeem4(m): 8:47pm On Jan 23, 2021
I’m not a lawyer. But I presume because it’s a sad decision taking by the judge. Not as if there is any written law that they must do it

157 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Komu1048(m): 8:54pm On Jan 23, 2021
K

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Deborah98(f): 8:59pm On Jan 23, 2021
I'm not a lawyer but the act is called Breaking the nib. It means such a pen was used to sign the death of person and shouldn't be used for such judgement again.

282 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Korinnesta: 9:01pm On Jan 23, 2021
Deborah98:
I'm not a lawyer but the act is called Breaking the nib. It means such pen was used to sign the death of person and shouldn't be used for such judgement again.

Okay....

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Asquare84(m): 9:08pm On Jan 23, 2021
I.am just hearing this for the first time in my life

1534 Likes 96 Shares

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by falcon01: 9:49pm On Jan 23, 2021
I never knew they did that

262 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by slawormiir: 9:57pm On Jan 23, 2021
Damnnn niggarrrr

I swear I don't know why....
A real niggarr must always be real and sincere

As in eh nnnn....I don't know anything about this breaking of pen
Asquare84:
Brother ....you real finish..
You are the type of niggarrrr i want to hang out with...
No homo

296 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by GIANTPLUSHUB: 10:02pm On Jan 23, 2021
Mheen! Just learnt something new

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by bfn1: 10:03pm On Jan 23, 2021
Asquare84:
Same here. First time of reading such.

154 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by habsydiamond(m): 10:16pm On Jan 23, 2021
Na nollywood movies I see my own... Most especially yoruba ... With this man as the judge.

76 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by KingMack(m): 10:49pm On Jan 23, 2021
E means say the person own don finish

335 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Ajibade123(m): 11:14pm On Jan 23, 2021
wow just knowing this for the first time...maybe it means End of journey sha
Say no to being broke this year let me show you how you can make money with your mobile phone. Check my signature for my WhatsApp contact

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by DoubleEngine007: 11:18pm On Jan 23, 2021
The pen has become a bloody pen,hence it must be destroyed.. Barrister DoubleEngine in the building..

Any more question??

158 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by ena5four(m): 11:23pm On Jan 23, 2021
Ion Know Jhor
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Kiddogarcia(m): 12:19am On Jan 24, 2021
Now we are leaning on nl

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Kiddogarcia(m): 12:26am On Jan 24, 2021
FINALLY we learning on nl

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Richy4(m): 1:45am On Jan 24, 2021
I thought that the nib-breaking form of ritual was only a symbolic customs of the Indians.....

According to what I heard, Judges have no powers to review/revoke the judgement once it has been written and signed.....the nib is also broken so that the judge may not think of reviewing his own judgement... I don't think it is done in Nigeria.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by HitRun(m): 2:42am On Jan 24, 2021
New knowledge, if true.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Adonis86(m): 4:13am On Jan 24, 2021
Deborah98:
I'm not a lawyer but the act is called Breaking the nib. It means such pen was used to sign the death of person and shouldn't be used for such judgement again.

What about the hand that signed the death warrant too? It's an injustice to the pen. The hand that held the pen is supposed to be broken too

362 Likes 28 Shares

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by oluwagbenga98327: 5:04am On Jan 24, 2021
Na nollywood movies I see my own... Most especially yoruba ... With this man as the judge.
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by mespusinglez(m): 6:27am On Jan 24, 2021
It Simply means the Pen is Evil for Crucifying Someone

and thus, Must be Destroyed as well.

Bar. Mespu the Emtionless Signing Out.grin

4 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by sotall(m): 6:40am On Jan 24, 2021
undecided
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Kingluqman(m): 6:58am On Jan 24, 2021
I Dey feel like sey make I swear for Buhari make Judge break pen for en matter grin

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by crackhouse(m): 7:38am On Jan 24, 2021
If u ask me na who I go ask?
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by dominique(f): 7:49am On Jan 24, 2021
Just hearing of this for the first time

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by CheedyJ(m): 7:52am On Jan 24, 2021
Is it a global occurrence or peculiar with Nigerian judges because I don’t know the crime the pen committed oo, d judge for just cut one of his or her finger na

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Roadsidetaylaw(m): 7:55am On Jan 24, 2021
I knw no oooo

1 Like

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:00am On Jan 24, 2021
1. The practice is symbolic of the belief that a pen which is used to take away a person’s life should not be used ever again for other purposes.
In other words, the pen has ‘tasted blood’, and thus it needs to be broken so that it doesn’t take another life.

2. Also, after the judge passes the death sentence, he has no power to review or revoke his order. So once the sentence has been awarded and the judge’s signature inked, the nib is also broken, symbolic of the fact that the judge cannot cancel or rewrite the judgement if he/she has a change of heart or mind.

3. Some are also of the belief that judges simply do away with the ‘tainted’ pen (having ordered the death of a person) as a way of distancing himself/herself from the judgement and the guilt of the same.

As seen on q....
Whenever a Judge passes a death sentence, he breaks the nib of his pen to express his compulsions for passing death sentence, under the compelling circumstances; andto ensure that nobody ever commits such heinous offense which invites such social stigma to the offender.

nairaman66:

What about cases where these decisions are rescinded in a higher court of law, what happens to the destroyed pen, any justice for this?
Supreme Court judges is the focal point here Nairaman.

29 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Elslim: 8:00am On Jan 24, 2021
Death pen
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by TheStranger: 8:00am On Jan 24, 2021
Never knew

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Lagosianswag: 8:01am On Jan 24, 2021
1. Pen Maybe Fake?

2. The Destruction of The Pen Signifies The Destruction of a Life?

3. A Reoccurring Coincidence?

#NeedToKnow

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips / Top 10 Highest Paying Federal Government Jobs In Nigeria & Salaries / Know The Officer Ranking Of The Nigerian Army

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.