Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,832 members, 7,828,036 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:26 PM

Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? (91330 Views)

Why Do Judges Break The Nib Of Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence / Why Masturbation Can Destroy Your Career / CJN Bars Judges From Uploading Personal Pictures On Social Media (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Ibunkun1(m): 1:57pm On Jan 24, 2021
Adonis86:

What about the hand that signed the death warrant too? It's an injustice to the pen. The hand that held the pen is supposed to be broken too

grin
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Nyenom: 2:15pm On Jan 24, 2021
Hmmm..! But from another view; if that same pen is used it will stick to her old saying of "leave the old lady to her old ways or habits"., because even the hospitals don't re-use a pen that has written r.i.p on a case file
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by iammolise(m): 2:31pm On Jan 24, 2021
Some traditions are risible...
So does breaking the nib of the pen also erase the indispensable fact that u just passed an order to kill someone, will it take away the long-term guilt it will cost u
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Finnestgreat: 2:39pm On Jan 24, 2021
Deborah98:
I'm not a lawyer but the act is called Breaking the nib. It means such a pen was used to sign the death of person and shouldn't be used for such judgement again.
true,it also means that since d pen was used to sign a death sentence,it shouldn't be used for any other judgement either criminal or any other case just like u said
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Deborah98(f): 2:44pm On Jan 24, 2021
Finnestgreat:
true,it also means that since d pen was used to sign a death sentence,it shouldn't be used for any other judgement either criminal or any other case just like u said
Okay thanks.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Finnestgreat: 2:51pm On Jan 24, 2021
Deborah98:
Okay thanks.
ur welcome
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by pawesome(m): 3:39pm On Jan 24, 2021
never ever heard of such...please who has been to a court here in Nigeria that a death sentence was issued..did the judge break the pen?
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Vinemeka1(m): 4:44pm On Jan 24, 2021
Where is lawyers in this groupbto tell us if ut is true or not.

2. The Destruction of The Pen Signifies The Destruction of a Life?

3. A Reoccurring Coincidence?

#NeedToKnow[/quote]
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Johfem(m): 5:13pm On Jan 24, 2021
I just got to know this now. I never knew it before now.
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by rolams(m): 5:21pm On Jan 24, 2021
I just learnt a good thing from this forum!
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by harmony75: 6:34pm On Jan 24, 2021
so that the ink won't run on another judge me �
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by harmony75: 6:35pm On Jan 24, 2021
harmony75:
so that the ink won't run on another judge me �
so the ink won't run on another j judgement �
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Sixfeetbelle: 6:50pm On Jan 24, 2021
DoubleEngine007:
The pen has become a bloody pen,hence it must be destroyed.. Barrister DoubleEngine in the building..

Any more question??

grin grin grin grin

With your "angry-looking" stance, why would anyone in their right senses ask you any question?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Chrisenglish: 6:52pm On Jan 24, 2021
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by ofiko123(m): 6:52pm On Jan 24, 2021
It means the person own Don finish be that...
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by TheAdvocate(m): 6:58pm On Jan 24, 2021
This year, I will be 16 years post call as a lawyer and I have never seen this.

The truth is that a judge will deliver judgment in one case give the accused the maximum punishment of death sentence and then proceed to hear other cases listed on the cause list for the day using the same pen.
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Josywhyte: 7:20pm On Jan 24, 2021
This is so new to me
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by drnoel: 9:01pm On Jan 24, 2021
Korinnesta:
Lawyers in the house, pls why do judges destroy their pen after pronouncing a death sentence??

This is a practice in India and not the rest of the world
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Augustine1990(m): 9:03pm On Jan 24, 2021
hmmmmm i never knew that
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by mankan2k7(m): 9:24pm On Jan 24, 2021
justice for d broken pen
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by NwaforIgbo: 10:32pm On Jan 24, 2021
The kind copying wey dey happen here eh.......

And una go dey post am as if na una write am..
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Polynek(m): 10:43pm On Jan 24, 2021
Hearing this 4 d very 1st time
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by AkandeJoseph99(m): 12:54am On Jan 25, 2021
Indian judges have been following the custom of breaking the nib of their pens after awarding a death sentence to a convict since British Raj.

Here are the reasons why this practice continues in our courtrooms even today:

1. The practice is symbolic of the belief that a pen which is used to take away a person’s life should not be used ever again for other purposes. In other words, the pen has ‘tasted blood’, and thus it needs to be broken so that it doesn’t take another life.

2. Also, after the judge passes the death sentence, he has no power to review or revoke his order. So once the sentence has been awarded and the judge’s signature inked, the nib is also broken, symbolic of the fact that the judge cannot cancel or rewrite the judgement if he/she has a change of heart or mind.

3. Some are also of the belief that judges simply do away with the ‘tainted’ pen (having ordered the death of a person) as a way of distancing himself/herself from the judgement and the guilt of the same.

Over the world, 56 countries still retain the practice of capital punishment and 103 countries have abolished the practice de jure for all crimes, while 6 have abolished it for ordinary crimes.

PS: I'm a programmer
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by DoubleEngine007: 7:18am On Jan 25, 2021
Sixfeetbelle:

grin grin grin grin

With your "angry-looking" stance, why would anyone in their right senses ask you any question?
grin
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Kayyus09(m): 8:06am On Jan 25, 2021
Added to knowledge
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by BluntCrazeMan: 1:09pm On Jan 25, 2021
Korinnesta:
Lawyers in the house, pls why do judges destroy their pen after pronouncing a death sentence??
Ok..
The pen takes the blame??
And not the judge’s fingers?
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by CrazyMan(m): 2:15pm On Jan 25, 2021
Adonis86:

What about the hand that signed the death warrant too? It's an injustice to the pen. The hand that held the pen is supposed to be broken too
Lol you're right. If the pen is to be destoryed, the hands that compelled it to do the signing should be destroyed as well. Only then can Justice be truly served.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips / Know The Officer Ranking Of The Nigerian Army / What My Younger Brother Did With Car Tires (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.