Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,139 members, 7,811,204 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:33 AM

Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One (5997 Views)

See What A Mechanic Did To A Customer's Lexus SUV (pics/video) / No Matter The State Or Country, Never Trust A Mechanic To Change Your Oil Unsupe / Some Mechanics Cannot Make Heaven - Read AIT's Presenter Ordeal With A Mechanic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by greatbrian(m): 10:46am On Jan 24, 2021
I used to have this mechanic I met about a year ago, name Mr Sanmi. I had the mindset of treating the gateman the same way I will treat the boss so I was totally nice to this dude and even respected him So as to always get the best out of him. To say I still got this dude a scanner just to aid his mental statues and mechanical know-how. My car started overheating issues since last November and I kept spending so much on it with this sanmi. He handles all my cars and who will I tell it to that I have three cars and none is functional. 2Audis and a Benz, mehn I kept spending money dude will come pick my car return it after a week ask for bill of 35k he changed gasket etc. Few weeks after overheating go start and I go call am again. Still my other cars were with him etc. Well after a while I met this man who knows a little about cars and I decided not informing my current mechanic and since I was going on an official trip to calabar then i just gave this new dude who started work on it. The car kept overheating and I took the major step of changing engine just to end this shit the day before yesterday. Still no avail. Mehn I was running crazy and thinking my village people are just after me. So I went to Lagos three days ago after loosing all hopes and abandoning the car with the mechanic and just yesterday oga mecho called me and was just lamenting on phone. He was cursing my old mechanic and just shouting on phone. I didn't react and I called him back later to ask what happened and he sent a picture. Mr sanmi forced a rubber down into the rod that gives water to the engine so water won't enter the engine as such. And after a few week the force of the water will push the ruber which will block the water completely and over heating will start which i will send another major money and call him to come pick. This is a man have even giving 200k before and I am even thinking of helping his son into my line of work. Mehn I was so disheartened I wanted calling to go pick up the bastard but I decided just to wait till I remove my other cars. Guys never trust any mechanic the nicest one you should watch out for more.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by incogni2o: 10:47am On Jan 24, 2021
Gather your evidences.

Hear his side of the story.

Let him go and tell him it's due to his dishonesty

1 Like

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by iliyande(m): 10:53am On Jan 24, 2021
Sanmi why grin

Lesson! Never give Mechanic(s) your car except you have time to be with them and supervise your work

11 Likes

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by greatbrian(m): 10:56am On Jan 24, 2021
Am trying to upload pictures. Ad apart I didn't mention I made this new mechanic work overnight on the car once after getting the new engine. Car won't stop overheating so I brought boys to motivate him and make him work overnight even on a Sunday. Dude used all those to curse the old mechanic. He was so much in pains I can understand after not working on any other car for a month only to find out its a bastard who culpritise the car
Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by dawnomike(m): 10:56am On Jan 24, 2021
greatbrian:
I used to have this mechanic I met about a year ago, name Mr Sanmi. I had the mindset of treating the gateman the same way I will treat the boss so I was totally nice to this dude and even respected him So as to always get the best out of him. To say I still got this dude a scanner just to aid his mental statues and mechanical know-how. My car started overheating issues since last November and I kept spending so much on it with this sanmi. He handles all my cars and who will I tell it to that I have three cars and none is functional. 2Audis and a Benz, mehn I kept spending money dude will come pick my car return it after a week ask for bill of 35k he changed gasket etc. Few weeks after overheating go start and I go call am again. Still my other cars were with him etc. Well after a while I met this man who knows a little about cars and I decided not informing my current mechanic and since I was going on an official trip to calabar then i just gave this new dude who started work on it. The car kept overheating and I took the major step of changing engine just to end this shit the day before yesterday. Still no avail. Mehn I was running crazy and thinking my village people are just after me. So I went to Lagos three days ago after loosing all hopes and abandoning the car with the mechanic and just yesterday oga mecho called me and was just lamenting on phone. He was cursing my old mechanic and just shouting on phone. I didn't react and I called him back later to ask what happened and he sent a picture. Mr sanmi forced a rubber down into the rod that gives water to the engine so water won't enter the engine as such. And after a few week the force of the water will push the ruber which will block the water completely and over heating will start which i will send another major money and call him to come pick. This is a man have even giving 200k before and I am even thinking of helping his son into my line of work. Mehn I was so disheartened I wanted calling to go pick up the bastard but I decided just to wait till I remove my other cars. Guys never trust any mechanic the nicest one you should watch out for more.
Sorry about your experience... Just get out your cars from him and take to the new guy. Most artisans are like that and only few are trustworthy.

12 Likes

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by Kriss216: 11:00am On Jan 24, 2021
Never trust a tailor, especially, those ones that nicknamed themselves “fashion designers”.

I’m yet to collect my Christmas clothes from one “Obioma”.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by aieromon(m): 12:33pm On Jan 24, 2021
Another Kazeem bites the dust.

2021 must be very special.

Switch Kazeems and try to be on ground when your car is in the mechanic workshop.

5 Likes

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by Mottomata(m): 2:18pm On Jan 24, 2021
This also applies to panel beaters. Never leave your car with them if not they'll remove your catalyst. It is a booming business for them.

If your exhaust is leaking, stay with them until they've fixed it

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by greatbrian(m): 5:20pm On Jan 24, 2021
Mottomata:
This also applies to panel beaters. Never leave your car with them if not they'll remove your catalyst. It is a booming business for them.

But who do you trust, my free time is always Sunday and even that day I spend most of it in church. Meh its disheartening
Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by greatbrian(m): 5:30pm On Jan 24, 2021
Picture evidence below

1 Like

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by greatbrian(m): 5:33pm On Jan 24, 2021
incogni2o:
Gather your evidences.

Hear his side of the story.

Let him go and tell him it's due to his dishonesty

He his a sweet talker people like that should be locked up indefinitely
Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by greatbrian(m): 5:34pm On Jan 24, 2021
iliyande:
Sanmi why grin

Lesson! Never give Mechanic(s) your car except you have time to be with them and supervise your work

Not everyone have time to be with them bro. Especially if you have a duty to protect

1 Like

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by aieromon(m): 6:00pm On Jan 24, 2021
greatbrian:

He his a sweet talker people like that should be locked up indefinitely

He will be back to beg. Do not give him the room to convince you. He will surely regret this customer loss.

Is the new guy any good with modern Audi cars?
Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by merieam16(f): 7:20pm On Jan 24, 2021
Noted....still i get my own motor
Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by Mottomata(m): 11:53pm On Jan 24, 2021
greatbrian:
Picture evidence below

Your mechanic should have requested that you change the whole assembly instead of trying to patch it. I shake my head for that mechanic.
Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by entrep88: 6:25am On Jan 25, 2021
iliyande:
Sanmi why grin

Very correct, the way I guard my catalytic converter, even banks don't guard money like that

9 Likes

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by greatbrian(m): 4:54pm On Jan 25, 2021
Mottomata:

Your mechanic should have requested that you change the whole assembly instead of trying to patch it. I shake my head for that mechanic.

Don't know what you are really talking about. But the new guy just released the whole masala while the car kept overheating and as at this afternoon, he has called to tell me he his done fixing the overheating issues and even used the car from his workshop to a very far place.

3 Likes

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by Mottomata(m): 7:34pm On Jan 25, 2021
greatbrian:

Don't know what you are really talking about. But the new guy just released the whole masala while the car kept overheating and as at this afternoon, he has called to tell me he his done fixing the overheating issues and even used the car from his workshop to a very far place.

I meant that the previous mechanic should have replaced failing parts in the cooling system instead of trying to patch

1 Like

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by greatbrian(m): 7:46pm On Jan 25, 2021
Mottomata:

I meant that the previous mechanic should have replaced failing parts in the cooling system instead of trying to patch

He didn't try to patch, that iron rod was perfectly fine. The nigga stuck those rubbers inside to prevent water passage so after a while the force of the water will make the rubber block the whole pipe when it gets to the place they bleed or is it blend the water. And I will take the car back he will fix it again and return the rubber backward and the whole stuff will be repeated. Been like that for almost 3 months and be kept making good money out of me. The most annoying thing is nigga will be deprive me the usage of my car for a week or so and come back with a bill of at least 30k telling me how bad the car gave him issues and how great a mechanic he his.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by Mottomata(m): 7:54pm On Jan 25, 2021
greatbrian:

He didn't try to patch, that iron rod was perfectly fine. The nigga stuck those rubbers inside to prevent water passage so after a while the force of the water will make the rubber block the whole pipe when it gets to the place they bleed or is it blend the water. And I will take the car back he will fix it again and return the rubber backward and the whole stuff will be repeated. Been like that for almost 3 months and be kept making good money out of me. The most annoying thing is nigga will be deprive me the usage of my car for a week or so and come back with a bill of at least 30k telling me how bad the car gave him issues and how great a mechanic he his.

The guy's wickedness is high

6 Likes

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by homeboy205: 10:12pm On Jan 25, 2021
greatbrian:

I feel your pain, those Kazeems are crazy.

Na so 1 go lose one of my shocks center bolt. Something that is tight before asking him to work on the car.

The funniest part is that I was there with him all through.

When I went back to his workshop and shout on him, he was still denying saying openly that maybe it was one of his enemy in the workshop lose the bolt not him. Not until 2 people in the workshop that I was good to called me to one corner and tell me say se he possible make I bring car come give ham make another person comot spanner go Dey lose bolt? Say Na person wey I give car lose ham. But dem beg me make I forget. I nearly beat ham sha and Na old guy .

3 Likes

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by greatbrian(m): 11:03pm On Jan 25, 2021
homeboy205:

I feel your pain, those Kazeems are crazy.

Na so 1 go lose one of my shocks center bolt. Something that is tight before asking him to work on the car.

The funniest part is that I was there with him all through.

When I went back to his workshop and shout on him, he was still denying saying openly that maybe it was one of his enemy in the workshop lose the bolt not him. Not until 2 people in the workshop that I was good to called me to one corner and tell me say se he possible make I bring car come give ham make another person comot spanner go Dey lose bolt? Say Na person wey I give car lose ham. But dem beg me make I forget. I nearly beat ham sha and Na old guy .

Babu gaskiya. No iota of integrity
Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by Nobody: 6:54am On Jan 28, 2021
loool. i learnt the hard way. if i do not have time, my car packs at home. All the times I am not involved in fixing my car even if it was in my compound has given me grief, wasted money, safety issues e.t.c.

You are better off going to Ladipo or itire and sit down there till the car is fixed. if it will sleep over, just tell ask them when they open and make sure you all leave at the same time and come in the next morning. alternatively, google the car's issues. People might have experienced it and will have definite steps to fixing it.

One and most importantly, whenever a mechanic does not correctly fix stuff and the same thing happens, never go back. Try someone else.

But this time, only look for the guy who is well versed in the problem.

Pick the guy up, collect the scanner you bought for him and make him pay up all the money you spent on that issue.

Above, know your car. That way, it will be hard for them to bobo u

11 Likes

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by Kelvin30286063(m): 12:12pm On Jan 28, 2021
My own story will make people wonder why Nigeria mechanics still exist.
Out of all the 1000 and 1 problems my car has been giving me since I've been using this guy, he did the one that nearly took my life 2 weeks ago.

I wanted to travel to Lagos so I took my car to him for inspection before embarking on the journey... I always want to be able to trust my car 100% percent whenever I'm embarking on a trip so I always check everything before any trip. Be it short or long.
This particular day, I told him to check the car cuz I was feeling some kind of vibration on the suspensions.
"Take out the tires and check the whole suspensions" Those were my words.
I left his place and went to work in my wife's car then came back in the evening to pick up the car. He said he has done everything, I can go to Lagos in peace. Don't worry bros.
Okay, thanks. I noticed that the car was dirty so I decided to take it to a car wash down the road.
To my shock and surprise... While I was speeding at 60km/hr, my right front wheel came off! I nearly lost control! The wheel pulled and damaged my fender!
WTF! This is an ACURA 2012! I have been driving this car for a year now, nothing like this has ever happened to me! I came out of the car and inspected. Lo and behold, 3 nuts from the suspension is right there on the ground. The came off. The ball joint nut, the upper arm nut and another nut I don't even know where it came from.
What the fvck! I called him and he said he's on his way, I nearly slapped him when he got there. Oga said he forgot to tighten the nuts!
That day I vowed never to see him again. Imagine if this happened on my way to Lagos and I'm driving 120km!

Last Las, I couldn't go to Lagos the next day cuz my fender looked terrible and I was so worried that something else will happen!

People that drove past me on the road that day before he got there said so many things! Some were like how can this happen to this latest car! Lol
Some were like chai, Honda and wahala, some even said I'm careless cuz it only happens to careless people. That was the day I actually understand that people don't care to know how it happened, they just want to judge immediately.

Now I have to drive 40 minutes to a standard auto shop went I want to check my car. I told them to review everything he has done. Shit, you need to see so many wrong doings! He once told me to change my timing belt and tensioner cuz my car hesitates a little sometimes so I ordered the timing belt and Adjuster but on getting to this new guys, I discovered that there was a little hole in my emission pipe and that was the cause. Now I have an unused timing belt and Adjuster at home. grin

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by greatbrian(m): 12:22pm On Feb 11, 2021
Kelvin30286063:
Out of all the 1000 and 1 problems my car has been giving me since I've been using this guy, he did the one that nearly took my life 2 weeks ago.

I wanted to travel to Lagos so I took my car to him for inspection before embarking on the journey. It's my way of life. I always want to be able to trust my car 100% percent when I'm embarking on a trip so I always check everything before any trip be it short or long.
This particular day, I told him to check the car cuz I'm feeling some kind of vibration on the suspensions. Take out the tires and check the whole suspension. That was my word.
I left his place and went to work in my wife's car then came back in thr evening to pick up the car. He said he has done everything, I can go to Lagos in peace. Don't worry bros.
Okay, thanks. I saw that the car was dirty so I said I should take it to a car wash down the road.
To my shock and surprise... While I was speeding at 60km/hr, my right side front wheel came off! I nearly lost control! The wheel pulled and damaged my fender!
WTF! This is an ACURA 2012! I have been driving this car for a year now, nothing like this has ever happened to me! I came out of the car and inspected. Lo and behold, 3 nuts from the suspension is right there on the ground. The came off. The ball joint nut, the upper arm nut and another nut I don't even know where it came from.
What the fvck! I called him and he said he's on his way, I nearly slapped him when he got there. Oga said he forgot to tighten the nuts!
That day I vowed never to see him again. Imagine if this happened on my way to Lagos and I'm driving 120km!

Last Las, I couldn't go to Lagos the next day cuz my fender looked terrible and I was so worried that something else will happen!

People that drove past me on the road that day before he got there said so many things! Some were like how can this happen to this latest car! Lol
Some were like chai, Honda and wahala, some even said I'm careless cuz it only happens to careless people. That was the day I actually understand that people don't care to know how it happened, they just want to judge immediately.

Now I have to drive 40 minutes to a standard auto shop went I want to check my car. I told them to review everything he has done. Shit, you need to see so many wrong doings! He once told me to change my timing belt and tensioner cuz my car hesitates a little sometimes so I ordered the timing belt and Adjuster but on getting to this new guys, I discovered that there was a little hole in my emission pipe and that was the cause. Now I have an unused timing belt and Adjuster at home. grin

Mehn.... I know how annoying this can be

2 Likes

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by blissbliss: 9:08pm On Feb 13, 2021
Trust should be earned.

Watch this new mechanic before trusting him.

2 Likes

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by PuZZyNegro: 3:04pm On Feb 14, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

I wanted to travel to Lagos so I took my car to him for inspection before embarking on the journey. It's my way of life. I always want to be able to trust my car 100% percent when I'm embarking on a trip so I always check everything before any trip be it short or long.
This particular day, I told him to check the car cuz I'm feeling some kind of vibration on the suspensions. Take out the tires and check the whole suspension. That was my word.
I left his place and went to work in my wife's car then came back in thr evening to pick up the car. He said he has done everything, I can go to Lagos in peace. Don't worry bros.
Okay, thanks. I saw that the car was dirty so I said I should take it to a car wash down the road.
To my shock and surprise... While I was speeding at 60km/hr, my right side front wheel came off! I nearly lost control! The wheel pulled and damaged my fender!

I have a similar experience like yours but the only difference is that I bought a new brake pad that the mechanic could not fix before I traveled because the painter was working on the car. I ended up traveling from Lagos to Imo state with the old brake pad. The same brake pad that the mechanic said has gone bad is what I used to travel to the East and back to Lagos.

Since I have already bought the new brake pad, I decided to take it to him to change anyway. After changing the brake pad, my car stopped returning the brakes when I apply brake thus heating up the front wheels and bringing out smoke as if my car was about to catch fire.

This type of thing can be embarrassing if you are somebody that takes out time to maintain your car. I took the car to another mechanic who requested that I should go back and get my old brake pads from that mechanic that changed it.

The new mechanic returned my old brake pads and as I type this, that's what I have been using on my car since January till now and my car brakes very well.

The major reason the mechanic requested for a change in the brake pads is to have an avenue to extort money from me.

I had to agree to the saying that some disappointments could be a blessing. Imagine if this guy had changed the brake pads a day before I travel and I enter road heading to the East with it?

PS:

Please, it is not advisable to do major repairs or changes on a car when you want to embark on a long distance trip. It is better to test the car around city to be sure it will not develop any problem.

12 Likes

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by mbhs139(m): 8:13pm On Feb 14, 2021
Trust and mechanic shouldn't be in the same sentence.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by DAVE5(m): 7:55am On Feb 15, 2021
Mottomata:

When my father in law told me how those guy are making crazy money from catalyst export, shock nearly kee me

Nigerians are very wicked ohh

The one I’ve personally caught myself was my previous car, a/c had issues, visited ladipo to get a fix, after sorting ac matter, they come talk say one stuff wey be like panel wey dey control ac dey hot, that I’d need to rework it and it would cost 40k or thereabouts, mehn, I went mad ohh, upon all the bar wey i don spend, other mechanic come join mouth, all of them know say nah format dem run me, luckily as we dey check everything together nah so I see one fuse wey dem comot, omo see para enter second gear, all in all, I still paid the bastard 5k to fix everything properly

Trust Nigerians at your own peril

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by Mottomata(m): 8:08am On Feb 15, 2021
That's the way they operate. I personally make out time to stay with them throughout the job especially simple repairs like leaking exhaust.
If I won't be there, I put a disclaimer to them: 'There is catalyst on this vehicle and should not be tampered with'.
DAVE5:

When my father in law told me how those guy are making crazy money from catalyst export, shock nearly kee me

Nigerians are very wicked ohh

The one I’ve personally caught myself was my previous car, a/c had issues, visited ladipo to get a fix, after sorting ac matter, they come talk say one stuff wey be like panel wey dey control ac dey hot, that I’d need to rework it and it would cost 40k or thereabouts, mehn, I went mad ohh, upon all the bar wey i don spend, other mechanic come join mouth, all of them know say nah format dem run me, luckily as we dey check everything together nah so I see one fuse wey dem comot, omo see para enter second gear, all in all, I still paid the bastard 5k to fix everything properly

Trust Nigerian at your own peril

3 Likes

Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by DAVE5(m): 8:14am On Feb 15, 2021
Mottomata:
That's the way they operate. I personally make out time to stay with them throughout the job especially simple repairs like leaking exhaust.
If I won't be there, I put a disclaimer to them: 'There is catalyst on this vehicle and should not be tampered with'.

Lol, Nigerians ehn, i tire for us ohh
Re: Never Trust A Mechanic, My Experience With A Close One by greatbrian(m): 12:51am On Feb 16, 2021
PuZZyNegro:

PS:

Please, it is not advisable to do major repairs or changes on a car when you want to embark on a long distance trip. It is better to test the car around city to be sure it will not develop any problem.

Makes sense

(1) (2) (Reply)

Transmissions Issues In 2005 Camry. Please Help! / How Reliable Is Nissan Almera And Nissan Primera / Why Do People Drive When It Makes More Sense To Ride A Bike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.