Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,854 members, 7,810,284 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:25 AM

I’ll Sign Foi Bill But … , Says Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I’ll Sign Foi Bill But … , Says Jonathan (1047 Views)

Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri / GEJ Signed FOI Bill GMB Send Other To Jail For Seeking Info / Breaking News: Gej Just Signed Foi Bill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I’ll Sign Foi Bill But … , Says Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 1:28am On Apr 04, 2011
[size=13pt]I’ll sign FOI bill but … , says Jonathan[/size]
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/03/ill-sign-foi-bill-but-says-jonathan/
By Dapo Akinrefon, Mike Eboh & Charles Kumolu

LAGOS – PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan, yesterday, promised to give presidential assent to the Freedom of Information Bill, FOI, but on a certain condition which he, however, failed to reveal.

Speaking at the end of the presidential debate series organised by the Nigerian Election Debate Group in Abuja, Jonathan also gave his reasons for his absence at the presidential debate organised by satellite television channel, NN24.

Yesterday’s  debate was boycotted by the presidential candidates of the Action Congress of Nigeria, ACN, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu; Congress of Progressive Change, CPC, Muhammadu Buhari; and the All Nigerian People’s Party, ANPP, Mallam Ibrahim Shekarau.

Anti corruption agencies
Jonathan who was the only candidate quizzed by a panel consisting of the President of the Nigerian Guild of Editors, Mr. Gbenga Adefaye, President of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, Mohammed Garba and Mac Imoni Amarere of African Independent Television, AIT.
He also used the forum to promise the strengthening of the anti-corruption agencies in the country even as he gave strong warning to senior citizens he alleged were encouraging people to go into crime.

When asked what would become of the Freedom of Information Bill presently in the National Assembly, President Jonathan promised to give assent to it but expressed reservations about certain clauses in the bill.

He said: “The media has been my friend because the first job I applied for was to a media house, the Nigerian Tide, though some of the things that come from the media may not sometimes reflect our true state.

The media has been very instrumental to our success and we have no reservation to endorse the FoI Bill when it comes to me, except that there are some aspects of it, which I won’t go into, but it would sail through.”

Tasked on his failure to attend the earlier debate organised by the satellite television channel, NN24, he said that he could not have abandoned the matters of governance to attend all the requests for debate that were made to him. He claimed that he received as much as twelve requests from different organisers for television debates.

He said: “When the issue of election debate came up after our primaries, more than ten non governmental organisations, media houses, contacted me for debate.
The president does not have the luxury of multiple debates, we decided that the Nigeria Election Debate Monitoring Group, should coordinate and make one debate for all candidates of all the parties so that every organisation can telecast it.

That will afford every Nigerian the opportunity of watching it. Unfortunately, I travelled and when I came back at about 7:30 pm I got the information that a debate was going on. Today, it is an opportunity to be confronted with those issues that were debated.”

On the issue of corruption, Jonathan said that his administration will not interfere with the agencies fighting against corruption, but will give them free hand in discharging their duties

He added that officials of the EFCC and the ICPC will be given the necessary training and capacity building so as to position them to effectively discharge their duties of ridding the country of corrupt individuals.

On the possibility of channeling more resources to other tiers of government, notably the States, the President expressed his readiness to support the Revenue Mobilisation, Allocation and Fiscal Commission, RMAFC, in effectively distributing the country’s revenue among the three tiers of government and in ensuring an appropriate sharing formula for the country’s revenue,

He noted: “The RMAFC is a semi-autonomous body and not subject to control by an outside authority. My administration will allow the body to do its constitutional duties.
The body will be allowed to determine the appropriate sharing formula. Once it comes up with an appropriate formula and once it is able to secure the approval of the National Assembly, my administration will certainly endorse it.”

On his plans for the economic development of the country, Jonathan declared that his administration’s major focus will be on agriculture. He explained that the PDP policy on agriculture will be pursued in this regard, which would encourage States to focus on two major crops in which they have better comparative advantage over other states of the federation.

While stating that his administration will revisit the issue of dams, irrigations and power, due to their immense contributions to agriculture and economic development, the President promised that a new energy policy that would encourage the establishment of micro refineries would also be formulated if given the mandate in the coming presidential elections.

Besides, he said if given the opportunity to rule Nigeria for another four years, provision of steady and adequate power supply for Nigeria, will be the priority of his administration.
Re: I’ll Sign Foi Bill But … , Says Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 1:29am On Apr 04, 2011
Please Lord, cause this guy to sign this bill before the May deadline!!
Re: I’ll Sign Foi Bill But … , Says Jonathan by jensinmi(m): 4:22am On Apr 04, 2011
Kobojunkie:

[size=13pt]I’ll sign FOI bill but … , says Jonathan[/size]
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/03/ill-sign-foi-bill-but-says-jonathan/
By Dapo Akinrefon, Mike Eboh & Charles Kumolu

LAGOS – PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan, yesterday, promised to give presidential assent to the Freedom of Information Bill, FOI, but on a certain condition which he, however, failed to reveal.

Speaking at the end of the presidential debate series organised by the Nigerian Election Debate Group in Abuja, Jonathan also gave his reasons for his absence at the presidential debate organised by satellite television channel, NN24.

Yesterday’s  debate was boycotted by the presidential candidates of the Action Congress of Nigeria, ACN, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu; Congress of Progressive Change, CPC, Muhammadu Buhari; and the All Nigerian People’s Party, ANPP, Mallam Ibrahim Shekarau.

Anti corruption agencies
Jonathan who was the only candidate quizzed by a panel consisting of the President of the Nigerian Guild of Editors, Mr. Gbenga Adefaye, President of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, Mohammed Garba and Mac Imoni Amarere of African Independent Television, AIT.
He also used the forum to promise the strengthening of the anti-corruption agencies in the country even as he gave strong warning to senior citizens he alleged were encouraging people to go into crime.

When asked what would become of the Freedom of Information Bill presently in the National Assembly, President Jonathan promised to give assent to it but expressed reservations about certain clauses in the bill.

He said: “The media has been my friend because the first job I applied for was to a media house, the Nigerian Tide, though some of the things that come from the media may not sometimes reflect our true state.

The media has been very instrumental to our success and we have no reservation to endorse the FoI Bill when it comes to me, except that there are some aspects of it, which I won’t go into, but it would sail through.”

Tasked on his failure to attend the earlier debate organised by the satellite television channel, NN24, he said that he could not have abandoned the matters of governance to attend all the requests for debate that were made to him. He claimed that he received as much as twelve requests from different organisers for television debates.

He said: “When the issue of election debate came up after our primaries, more than ten non governmental organisations, media houses, contacted me for debate.
The president does not have the luxury of multiple debates, we decided that the Nigeria Election Debate Monitoring Group, should coordinate and make one debate for all candidates of all the parties so that every organisation can telecast it.

That will afford every Nigerian the opportunity of watching it. Unfortunately, I travelled and when I came back at about 7:30 pm I got the information that a debate was going on. Today, it is an opportunity to be confronted with those issues that were debated.”

On the issue of corruption, Jonathan said that his administration will not interfere with the agencies fighting against corruption, but will give them free hand in discharging their duties

He added that officials of the EFCC and the ICPC will be given the necessary training and capacity building so as to position them to effectively discharge their duties of ridding the country of corrupt individuals.

On the possibility of channeling more resources to other tiers of government, notably the States, the President expressed his readiness to support the Revenue Mobilisation, Allocation and Fiscal Commission, RMAFC, in effectively distributing the country’s revenue among the three tiers of government and in ensuring an appropriate sharing formula for the country’s revenue,

He noted: “The RMAFC is a semi-autonomous body and not subject to control by an outside authority. My administration will allow the body to do its constitutional duties.
The body will be allowed to determine the appropriate sharing formula. Once it comes up with an appropriate formula and once it is able to secure the approval of the National Assembly, my administration will certainly endorse it.”

On his plans for the economic development of the country, Jonathan declared that his administration’s major focus will be on agriculture. He explained that the PDP policy on agriculture will be pursued in this regard, which would encourage States to focus on two major crops in which they have better comparative advantage over other states of the federation.

While stating that his administration will revisit the issue of dams, irrigations and power, due to their immense contributions to agriculture and economic development, the President promised that a new energy policy that would encourage the establishment of micro refineries would also be formulated if given the mandate in the coming presidential elections.

Besides, he said if given the opportunity to rule Nigeria for another four years, provision of steady and adequate power supply for Nigeria, will be the priority of his administration.

Na wa o. That's the best he can tell us about corruption.

He won't interfere?? just like his policy of Non-interference over the past one year??

Why can't people see through this man and realize that he intends to propagate the status quo.
Re: I’ll Sign Foi Bill But … , Says Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 4:28am On Apr 04, 2011
^^^ You should have heard him repeat the same gunk when he was asked of how his approach to tackling corruption, during the NEDG debate interview. cheesy
Re: I’ll Sign Foi Bill But … , Says Jonathan by jensinmi(m): 4:33am On Apr 04, 2011
Kobojunkie:

^^^ You should have heard him repeat the same gunk when he was asked of how his approach to tackling corruption, during the NEDG debate interview. cheesy

We're doomed in this country.

This man is a criminal. The end does not justify the means. He has refused to speak out boldly and decisively against corrupt individuals and entities.

sad sad sad sad sad
Re: I’ll Sign Foi Bill But … , Says Jonathan by daresmith: 5:11am On Apr 04, 2011
I am not surprised at Mr Jona's cluelesness. He never contested for any post in his life. All he ever got was luck for himself and badluck for others involved.

talking about the debates, he said he was going to attend the NN24 debate 3 days prior and it was clear that the other candidates were attending. but then just a day before the debate he released a statement pulling out stating the fact that all the other candidates were not invited. were all the other presidential candidates invited for the one he attended?

talking about the FOI bill, I believe its his ploy and that of his cohorts to make sure it is not signed before the elections. the FOI bill signing has been in the news for so long now, why won't he sign it or just tell us what is wrong with it!!!!
Re: I’ll Sign Foi Bill But … , Says Jonathan by Nobody: 6:01am On Apr 04, 2011

but he could abandon them for his meaningless 36 day campaign abi?
Re: I’ll Sign Foi Bill But … , Says Jonathan by Pataki: 6:39am On Apr 04, 2011

And yet, this foolish President could attend a D-Banj interview the day before the NN24 debate?

How much of this dumb thinking process are we Nigerians going to allow further from this crass clueless President?
Re: I’ll Sign Foi Bill But … , Says Jonathan by Nobody: 10:37am On Apr 04, 2011
^^^

i even seem to remember the man saying he did not attend because he was 'out of the country'

abeg who has a transcript of how to fail a job intervie for dummies pdp version?
Re: I’ll Sign Foi Bill But … , Says Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 1:46am On Apr 05, 2011
How long is the president going to hold this bill down?>
Re: I’ll Sign Foi Bill But … , Says Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 4:42am On Apr 07, 2011
Another week coming to an end and still no FOI Law!
Re: I’ll Sign Foi Bill But … , Says Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 3:54pm On Apr 08, 2011
bump!
Re: I’ll Sign Foi Bill But … , Says Jonathan by exsodus: 11:31pm On Apr 08, 2011
Kobojunkie:

[/q
why wont you call it junk . that is what a dull person will classifY it as . please ill advise you to shut up if you have nothing reasonable to say , GEJ ALL THE WAY
Re: I’ll Sign Foi Bill But … , Says Jonathan by chima2011: 12:33am On Apr 09, 2011
You people should cut the man[GEJ] some slacks. he knows what he is doing.
Re: I’ll Sign Foi Bill But … , Says Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 12:35am On Apr 09, 2011
^^^ He needs to be cut in this too? Is there anything we won't need to cut him some slack for, anything at all we can get him to do, and quickly too? I mean the lives of 150 million people are on hold here.  undecided undecided undecided
Re: I’ll Sign Foi Bill But … , Says Jonathan by cjfavour(m): 1:42am On Apr 09, 2011
during obj tenure,the n /a did not pass d bill till when their tenure was almost over. It was sent to OBJ and he sat on it till d end of his tenure.
this admin came and did nothing untill d tail end of their tenure. GEJ is sitting on d bill now. He may nt sign it till his tenure ends.
This is PDP antics. The bill will make journalists and nigerians to investigate all their atrocities in office that's why PDP will never sign that bill.

(1) (Reply)

What Is Your Expectation of G E J Presidency 2011 - 2015 / Human Heads Found In Nurtw Secretary's House In Oyo State. / What Are The Factors Responsible For The Post Election Violence In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.