Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,669 members, 7,816,754 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:30 PM

Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? (21045 Views)

How An Employer Sacked A Job Seeker Immediately After Giving Him A 250K Job / I've Just Been Sacked / How To Move On After Failing To Get The Job You Really Want in Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? by Magldsns: 8:28am On Jan 28, 2021
Okay,
Re: Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? by Donspicey: 8:29am On Jan 28, 2021
Put it and if asked why u left tell them is because of ur love for plenty money....
Re: Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? by Nobody: 8:29am On Jan 28, 2021
paulGrundy:
A contract staff was queried on marketing report without prior notice/warning (they are to followup customers and prospects everyday and write a report on the outcome). he was accused of putting in some ficticious names and information. He was found guilty by disciplinary panel and dismissed on grounds of falsification of information, deliberately misleading panel and doubtful integrity.

He is looking for another job.
HR personel in the house, can he include the experience he has with the said firm on his CV?
will it affect his chances of getting another job?

note: its not a fraud case or money issue. The victim was witchhunted.

Yes. If it adds relevance; especially if leaving it out will make an inexplicable time gap; but don't link references. And if asked why you left, don't lie about the incident.

The question is whether he did falsify the info or not. If I want to employ someone, I prefer to make my own assessment of his integrity, so a past sack for integrity may not dissuade me from employing him if he seems honest enough to me and has other skills needed. Everyone deserves a second chance.
I'll watch him like a hawk though, and let him know that I'm doing so.

1 Like

Re: Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? by Asianjollof007: 8:29am On Jan 28, 2021
chrispapi11:

I'll suggest he takes it out from his CV coz you never can tell.

Best advice
Re: Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? by Stanweezy(m): 8:32am On Jan 28, 2021
Who get time to do background check in Nigeria. Just put your experience and tell them u left voluntarily
Re: Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? by mj(m): 8:33am On Jan 28, 2021
Please don' t add it. Before your confirmation, most companies HR are mandated to do background check. If they find out about your sack, instead of getting confirmation letter, you will get a sack letter.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? by Topshow2010(m): 8:35am On Jan 28, 2021
I think that's a rhetoric question considering the naija factor . Ppl won't need to hear ur reason of been sack b4 judging u to be incompetent .
I won't advise u put it .
Re: Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? by Didi2d(m): 8:36am On Jan 28, 2021
paulGrundy:

Are you a HR personel?
will the firm do a background check on why he was sacked and find out?

Sometimes they do background check from your previous employees and some times they don't.
It's mostly depends on the position you're applying for.

I personally know of someone that was involved in a multimillion naira fraud in one of the big time manufacturing company here in Nigeria, he was caught and was sacked. He applied for job in another company, maybe because of the position they had to contact his former employee, in fact he was the favorite during the interview. But was dropped because of the information they got

2 Likes

Re: Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? by chrispapi11(m): 8:37am On Jan 28, 2021
Pochettino:

He will be asked to explain the blank/inactive years on his CV... wahala be like MTN, everywhere you go grin cheesy

He will simply say that he did not have a job those years. Shekina grin
Re: Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? by Vidsolution79: 8:40am On Jan 28, 2021
Funny question... Check my signature jare
Re: Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? by cloud(m): 8:40am On Jan 28, 2021
nuel000:
NEVER EVER! tell an interviewer you were sacked on an account of integrity, unless you don't want the job, Most companies don't have time for background check in Nigeria.
Re: Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? by Gabson001(m): 8:44am On Jan 28, 2021
why not
at least I gained one or two knowledge there
Re: Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? by Kobicove(m): 8:45am On Jan 28, 2021
paulGrundy:
A contract staff was queried on marketing report without prior notice/warning (they are to followup customers and prospects everyday and write a report on the outcome). he was accused of putting in some ficticious names and information. He was found guilty by disciplinary panel and dismissed on grounds of falsification of information, deliberately misleading panel and doubtful integrity.

HR personel in the house, can he include the experience he has with the said firm on his CV?

How can you say it was not an issue of fraud?

The mere fact that he fabricated fictitious information to include in a report in order to gain an unfair advantage already makes it fraud.

Assuming he was not caught he possibly could have benefited from a promotion or a payment of performance bonus therefore he committed fraud.

1 Like

Re: Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? by KossyKiss97(f): 8:45am On Jan 28, 2021
Dont try it...

Invest your idle funds in lands and watch it appreciate in a few years.

CHERRYBAY VILLE Owerri is selling fast with 2m you become a land owner this year.

Call or watsapp 080. 6029 1729

Re: Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? by Deserea: 8:49am On Jan 28, 2021
Karleb:

Most companies do what? Abeg, they don't do shiit.
Most companies does background investigation except, mushroom/one man business.

Any company that doesn't do background investigation before employing are lazy and has no value for their staffs.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? by BayLord01(m): 8:49am On Jan 28, 2021
Karleb:

Most companies do what? Abeg, they don't do shiit.

They do background check on your most recent experience more than you think.

1 Like

Re: Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? by Gabson001(m): 8:50am On Jan 28, 2021
Xammie001:
LIKE MY COMPANY WE DONT DO BACKGROUND CHECK EXCEPT SOMEONE TELL US ABOUT THE PERSON

SOMEONE AS IN??

YOU MEAN HIS VILLAGE PEOPLE

1 Like

Re: Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? by Lewisdinho(m): 8:51am On Jan 28, 2021
What if they ask to contact the former firm
Ask4bigneyo:
He should put the experience now and if during interview, the HR ask him the reason why he left ABC Limited, just tell the HR that you left the place because you needed a better offer.

Re: Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? by israelmao(m): 8:51am On Jan 28, 2021
If you weren't sacked on the ground of fraudulent acts or absenteeism or ncompetence.
Re: Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? by Lewisdinho(m): 8:52am On Jan 28, 2021
Exactly
paulGrundy:

Are you a HR personel?
will the firm do a background check on why he was sacked and find out?
Re: Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? by SSpeter(m): 8:52am On Jan 28, 2021
paulGrundy:

Companies do background checks for senior roles and middle management positions. Banks are also strict with background checks no matter the grade as long as you will be employed as a full staff and your position will influence your grade. However from what you have written no one really cares about a contract staff and all. If he is going to a new company to become a full member of staff, he would probably be given entry level position. If it is for another contract role, he should include his previous experience (no body is doing any background shit) it will give him an edge.

3 Likes

Re: Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? by Lewisdinho(m): 8:53am On Jan 28, 2021
My candid advice, Don't try it please. Since he left in a wrong way
Re: Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? by toxtimmy: 8:54am On Jan 28, 2021
Never tell a potential employer you moving or seeking a job with them cause of better offer (why? Because you plant the thought in their head if they hire you you may leave them also for a better offer...I.e. you are just for the money)... Simply just tell them something like you are being progressive and the target new company will be a great place to be part of etc.... Lastly your reason for progressive could be many things such as location of new job, the industry of new job in relation to your career, growth, target company reputation based on what you know from research or friends or people that work in same target company etc.

Never tell them you were fired or speak bad about old company... By company policies in advance countries no company should ever tell a company you were fired or anything but simply just say yes or no if you worked for them... Anything outside yes or no that you work for then opens them up for a law suit.

Worst case if they ask you why you left old company just tell them your contract with them ended and you had a great time and experience at old company and appreciate the opportunity to potentially work for new target company and bring value to them.

Ask4bigneyo:
He should put the experience now and if during interview, the HR ask him the reason why he left ABC Limited, just tell the HR that you left the place because you needed a better offer.

4 Likes

Re: Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? by ojesymsym: 8:56am On Jan 28, 2021
How come no one is even asking why you or your friend tried to game your employer by putting fictitious names on your report rather than do the actual work of prospecting, now that shit has hit the ceiling you are looking for ways to run away from your shadow and still not accept responsibilities for your action or even ready to learn.

For your info, this is a fraudulent act even if it is not directly a financial one but it can be tied to money lost from the employer;'s point of view.

paulGrundy:

Re: Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? by cassidynca(m): 8:57am On Jan 28, 2021
Of course you can and should put it.
Even if you were sacked for incompetence or even indiscipline , it only shows you are a straight forward person.
And you may have learnt from your mistakes.
Hiding it will only do you more harm than good.

1 Like

Re: Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? by 400billionman: 8:57am On Jan 28, 2021
paulGrundy:

Every marketer does that shit.

But he should have used real names, as bank has several customers who he may not even have any serious business relationship with.

Wicked superiors.
Re: Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? by legba1(m): 8:57am On Jan 28, 2021
Experience is crudial now to employers and having to train you on the job is unlikely as u will be expected to hit the ground running.

Doing background check is a Forte of the big orgs and depends on the position or level u are gunning for.. If it's a top management post, u should def expects background checks
So to issue, cook your CV in ways you can really defend. Leave no blank years as you will have to exain and double check every point to be sure you ha e a ready made explanation.
Re: Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? by goatmeat1(f): 8:58am On Jan 28, 2021
lol
Re: Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? by McDonaldfished: 8:59am On Jan 28, 2021
I am also in the same shoes here just that mine was due to poor performance on the job in a bank.
I am trying to get another job in another bank tho.
And I put the place I was sacked in my CV. Is it going to affect me?
Re: Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? by obowunmi(m): 9:03am On Jan 28, 2021
paulGrundy:

How long did the person work there ?
Re: Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? by kwasoly(m): 9:04am On Jan 28, 2021
paulGrundy:

With my experience in the financial industry my answer is YES include it as long as is not a fraud case.
Re: Can You Put A Job You Were Sacked From In Your CV? by Imoobot(m): 9:08am On Jan 28, 2021
In an interview, you dont need to tell all the truth and you dont need to tell all the lies.

Try to be matured. Maturity is the ability not lie but not to tell the truth.

E get why.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dangote Refinery To Create 250,000 Jobs / Fresh Graduates(bsc,hnd,ond,nce) Wanted For Immediate Employment Across Lagos / How To Position Yourself To Get A Job On Linkedin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.