Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,550 members, 7,823,423 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:59 AM

Siena: What's D Effect Of Parking A Car For Six Months? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Siena: What's D Effect Of Parking A Car For Six Months? (3825 Views)

What's D Effect Of Dis In My Car / What's D Effect Of Dis In My Car / The Parking Lot At The American University Of Dubai! (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Siena: What's D Effect Of Parking A Car For Six Months? by sbm4real(m): 10:09pm On Apr 05, 2011
Gents,a friend wants to park his car with me and travel for 6months. What will be the effect of not driving the car at all or driving it a little over this period? Please note that it is a TOUAREG with V6 engine.
Re: Siena: What's D Effect Of Parking A Car For Six Months? by fstranger3(m): 10:13pm On Apr 05, 2011
The effect is that it will stay where it is parked for six months, that is if you do not arrange for it to be stolen
Re: Siena: What's D Effect Of Parking A Car For Six Months? by sbm4real(m): 10:22pm On Apr 05, 2011
That is not a very courteous reply on a public forum.
Re: Siena: What's D Effect Of Parking A Car For Six Months? by blackracle(m): 10:28pm On Apr 05, 2011
sbm4real:

Gents,a friend wants to park his car with me and travel for 6months. What will be the effect of not driving the car at all or driving it a little over this period? Please note that it is a TOUAREG with V6 engine.

If parked in your compound under the atmosphere, possibly, the following could happen:

1. tyres might deflate and get spoilt
2. due to the rain and sun beating the vehicle, vehicle might loose colour
3. battery goes dead

and a host of trivial issues.
Re: Siena: What's D Effect Of Parking A Car For Six Months? by sbm4real(m): 2:04am On Apr 06, 2011
Thanks
Re: Siena: What's D Effect Of Parking A Car For Six Months? by Emperoh(m): 4:01am On Apr 06, 2011
Consult the owners manual if it's available. There are laid down procedures to follow if u want to park your vehicle over a long period of time.

For me, here are a few basics

Disconnect the battery head
Get a car cover- what we call tarpaulin here.
Unscrew all the tires and hang the vehicle on something- maybe blocks or metals but be sure the car is not standing on the tires.

My 2 pence!
Re: Siena: What's D Effect Of Parking A Car For Six Months? by kayjasper(f): 6:29am On Apr 06, 2011
You realy need to get a cover/a garage to put it cos of the effect of sunlight and rain on the colour. You may not necessarily need to remove the tyres for 6months. Loose the battery head if you wont need to ''warm'' the engine like once a week. Cheers.
Re: Siena: What's D Effect Of Parking A Car For Six Months? by aviyon: 12:41pm On Apr 06, 2011
if i were to have asked for the advice, i would follow Emperoh's advice to the letter.
Re: Siena: What's D Effect Of Parking A Car For Six Months? by sbm4real(m): 12:43pm On Apr 06, 2011
Thanks guys, your responses are well appreciated
Re: Siena: What's D Effect Of Parking A Car For Six Months? by Kafin(m): 4:40pm On Apr 06, 2011
I dont think there will be any adverse effect if you park the car for six months and just as fstranger3 suggested, you can bring it to me for safe-keeping; I promise not to add more that 60Km to the car.

On a serious note, you should not remove the battery, else you will have to start re-programing the car when you come back. The drain on the battery should not be that much over six month unless the battery is weak to start with.

I dont think you should remove the tyres also, for goodness sake cars stay on the dealers-lot for months before being sold. A tyre that will not deflate while in use should not deflate while it is parked!

It will be good if the car can be covered, but for sure the car will be exposed to more elements of the weather while being used that when it is parked.

I will advice that you do an oil change about a week before parking the car. This will ensure that fresh oil will be available when next you start the car. Honestly, dont warm the car as is popular practice, the highest wear and tear on an engine occurs in the first 30 seconds after starting the car, and the best result you can get is to keep your battery fully charged, while consuming your fuel.

But seriously consider keeping the car with me grin cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Infinity Fx35 Error Code -B1134 / Do We Forget Safe Driving Because Of Car Safety Features? / 2014 Mercedes S-class Revealed!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.