Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,268 members, 7,829,563 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:53 AM

Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? - Events (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? (14693 Views)

Deceased Receive Final Circus Show From Friends In Ghana (Photo, Video) / Man Marries His Deceased Fiance At Her Funeral (photos - Video) / Interesting Things About Owambe Parties In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by HacheNoire: 8:26pm On Feb 07, 2021
Because the deceased cannot say good things about the people
Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by Lexusgs430: 8:28pm On Feb 07, 2021
Don't be scared to be a devil whilst alive...... Because when you die, people would treat you like an angel..... tongue

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by oluwaseyi0: 8:29pm On Feb 07, 2021
Hypocrisy
Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by edward1106(m): 8:29pm On Feb 07, 2021
soundOsonic:
Like the saying says don't speak ill of the dead.
what if the deceased was actually a dead beat when he was alive?

I was at a funeral, (not a fun place to be) then the pastor started with a long sermon that will make even the dead bored. Well he got my attention when he started speaking of the deceased.
He spoke very nice of the man, how he was a good father (this man reigned curses on his children like 11 times a week), he also said the deceased was a responsible husband ( he literally comes home drunk, and he was indeed a broke stingy man except when he is in the beer parlor), the deceased is generous (only generous with the booze), a good Christian (he actually was a fan of teenage girls, he chases them like a cock on heat).

I was tempted to stand up and look through the coffin, if at all I was at the right funeral maybe the pastor did not know this folk so I thought. Then others came to give testimony of how kind and down to earth man he was. I was shock like someone living in aso Rock.
The hypocrisy was so much that I only waited for the burial food and drinks if not I would have left.

Do we speak good of the dead simply because we want to comfort the bereaved, or just look nice to say something nice about people? Or can't we not drop the hypocrisy and say everything good, bad and the ugly about the deceased after all that's still honoring the memory? Or we should just hold our peace and say nothing since we don't have any good thing to say?

Your guess is good as mine. Let me drop a funeral joke for you all.

in a funeral, the priest after the sermon asked the pew if there was anything nice to say about the deceased, everyone looked down staring at the lace of their shoes; the priest later said " common guys at least anything good about him even if it is a sentence" then a man at the back seat shouted "His brother was worse" grin grin
We all have our different experiences with a particular person, so don't expect what you noticed of him to be same with another. No matter how terribly bad someone to another(people), he is still good to another.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by IamPlato(m): 8:29pm On Feb 07, 2021
As you have said na hypocrisy
Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by Nobody: 8:30pm On Feb 07, 2021
Because the deceased is is probably in hell.
Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by gboyetade: 8:30pm On Feb 07, 2021
Quite true
Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by jchioma: 8:30pm On Feb 07, 2021
in a funeral, the priest after the sermon asked the pew if there was anything nice to say about the deceased, everyone looked down staring at the lace of their shoes; the priest later said " common guys at least anything good about him even if it is a sentence" then a man at the back seat shouted "His brother was worse" grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by simi1(m): 8:31pm On Feb 07, 2021
Some of them might have touch their lives positively

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HZBy7uQ0kI
Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by SaintLucia: 8:31pm On Feb 07, 2021
That's human being for you. I even thought many IPOB would have turn billionaire after the death of Abba Kyari (RIP) cos many of them.believed he was the cabal in Aso Rock that hindered their progress and success. The man is gone but they are still crying and wailing. Rest in peace to the death.
Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by Breadnote: 8:33pm On Feb 07, 2021
I tink d truth shud be spoken abt d dead.so those alive will learn frm it.
Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by ibrahimofic(m): 8:35pm On Feb 07, 2021
Dem dey fear now. Make spirit no chase dem kiss kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Feb 07, 2021
soundOsonic:

I was at a funeral, (not a fun place to be) then the pastor started with a long sermon that will make even the dead bored. Well he got my attention when he started speaking of the deceased.
He spoke very nice of the man, how he was a good father (this man reigned curses on his children like 11 times a week), he also said the deceased was a responsible husband ( he literally comes home drunk, and he was indeed a broke stingy man except when he is in the beer parlor), the deceased is generous (only generous with the booze), a good Christian (he actually was a fan of teenage girls, he chases them like a cock on heat).

I was tempted to stand up and look through the coffin, if at all I was at the right funeral maybe the pastor did not know this folk so I thought. Then others came to give testimony of how kind and down to earth man he was. I was shock like someone living in aso Rock.
The hypocrisy was so much that I only waited for the burial food and drinks if not I would have left.

Do we speak good of the dead simply because we want to comfort the bereaved, or just look nice to say something nice about people? Or can't we not drop the hypocrisy and say everything good, bad and the ugly about the deceased after all that's still honoring the memory? Or we should just hold our peace and say nothing since we don't have any good thing to say?

in a funeral, the priest after the sermon asked the pew if there was anything nice to say about the deceased, everyone looked down staring at the lace of their shoes; the priest later said " common guys at least anything good about him even if it is a sentence" then a man at the back seat shouted "His brother was worse" grin grin

It is tradition. Just like it is tradition to automatically say "fine" when you are asked "how are you?", even if you are suffering from stage 4 cancer and just got run over by a train.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by Olamilekan08(m): 8:37pm On Feb 07, 2021
hisgrace090:
It is a selfish act praising one only when the fellow will no longer benefits from those praises being a dead person already.

Nice talk.
After the death of a guy I knew, it got me thinking about the lots of good words I could have said about him.

I decided to praise my friends there and then, telling each one what I like about them the next time I saw them. I'm not waiting for anyone to die before I say those good words. It will only do them good when they are alive to hear it.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by ShenTeh(m): 8:38pm On Feb 07, 2021
It is called the 'guilt of living'.
Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by defcon4: 8:41pm On Feb 07, 2021
I remember that year I failed an exam, I carry over no shaking. I went to the lecturer , I said " sir I didn't fail your exam, maybe you don't know me but I know you"
I called his village I called people in his village.
Baba say ooooh why didn't you come to see me, what's your name again. I told him, he check ..."actually you didn't fail but why didn't you come see me.
I said no problem, just retrieve from faculty and remark the script.

Baba say he no fit sey I'm go enter trouble.

One year later I wrote exam, after exam I put #500 inside envelope give lecturer. He called me to come to his house. On getting to his house he said I should make corrections so I get a good grade, I told him, I know I passed and even a C is good enough so I won't cheat to get better grade.

Baba die that year. I didn't have anything good to say about him. People called me a bad person for speaking Ill of the dead.

I have no remorse.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by Seyzcham91(m): 8:41pm On Feb 07, 2021
confirm! that answers it
jesus247alive:
Because an average human is a hypocrite even to a dead person....

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by DAYOODS(m): 8:43pm On Feb 07, 2021
soundOsonic:

Bros you are a bit confused you want criticized the deceased and still want chop the man’s burial food. You can’t eat your cake and have it agan。
Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by Harrybliss(m): 8:44pm On Feb 07, 2021
Normally, I think we say good things about the deceased simply because we don't want people to say trash about us when u re gone too.
Everyone has a dark side but we keep it away from the owner especially on the occasion of death.... imagine people sayingto the hearing of ur children that u re such stingy, wicked, heartless human being and so many things like that.....it doesn't sound good.
Who Don die Don die.....say good or bad, deadi body no get issue with you

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by olisefom: 8:44pm On Feb 07, 2021
If I am bad, let it be said of me that I am bad when I die.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by Ifork4money: 8:45pm On Feb 07, 2021
not me. if an olosho dies, i dont
Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by thatigboman: 8:48pm On Feb 07, 2021
The worst was when i attended a girl's funeral in lagos. The girl was a well-known weed smoker, i wount be surprised if she was taking coke as well. Infact she died in an accident while coming back from a notorious night party.
And the whole story changed when we went for the church service at CMS Lagos. The pastor who i'm sure didnt know the girl, but knew her parents lied smoothly all through. As if he was elogising an angel.
The worst was when he looked up and announced "i can see xyz in heaven". I say na lie. If heaven and hell exists, that girl will be comfortably sitting in hell smoking weed with the devil.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by Heterodox(m): 8:49pm On Feb 07, 2021
soundOsonic:

He spoke very nice of the man, how he was a good father (this man reigned curses on his children like 11 times a week), he also said the deceased was a responsi

ble husband ( he literally comes home drunk, and he was indeed a broke stingy man except when he is in the beer parlor), the deceased is generous (only generous with the booze), a good Christian (he actually was a fan of teenage girls, he chases them like a cock on heat).

Beyond the grave all you have is memory of life spent. In that world there's comfort and agony, depending on how the spirit lived. People saying good things about one in death brings joy and comfort to the spirit, regardless of how badly and vainly the spirit lived in its sojourning on earth.

So when they say rest in peace, peace is indeed given to the dead because the dead lives. While it may not completely alleviate the pain, it does give a sense of love to the spirit, that love triumphs the pains he could feel.

To gain more understanding about what I'm talking about read The Spirits Book.
Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by xynerise: 8:51pm On Feb 07, 2021
Just invite a drunk to the burial. He will speak the truth grin

5 Likes

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by Carlylepneuma: 8:52pm On Feb 07, 2021
is more of a religious/cultural thang u will find it in d religious scriptures that it's a taboo to speak against the dead... still OK to me let d dead rest please las las death is a road every soul must pass through...
Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by Nobody: 8:53pm On Feb 07, 2021
Because humans are hypocritical confused eye-serving creatures. They know the dead can not come and ask for them for anything so they show "love"
Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by harmony75: 8:55pm On Feb 07, 2021
true that thing dey pepper me someone that have committed so much atrocities, no care for the kids and wife, so very irresponsible when alive � Will die and everyone will be praising him is very annoying.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by jaytii(f): 8:58pm On Feb 07, 2021
soundOsonic:

Just last year, Odia Ifeimun didn't have good things to say about a fellow poet Late J. P Clark.
Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by HORLADSTAR(m): 9:00pm On Feb 07, 2021
because I'm don die nau, you gat respect the dead.
Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by toprealman: 9:07pm On Feb 07, 2021
Depends.....for some, this part is skipped for obvious reasons.
Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by jeffmatt4u(m): 9:08pm On Feb 07, 2021
Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by bowdas(m): 9:14pm On Feb 07, 2021
Wait which one should be hard talking bad against the death or praising/lying on the death which pastors are the first to give testimonies I think death or not we should all speak truth so that who are present should learn from it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pictures Of Nigeria@52 Celebration In My Locality. / Over 4,000 Registered For Kano Mass Wedding / Torley Nigeria “silent Disco Party” With Arcadian Lounge (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.