Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,774 members, 7,820,710 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:00 PM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (105) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (965868 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Infoman51: 6:29pm On Mar 12, 2015
Please help me, am losing my layers everyday due to paralysis of there legs which start every evening of the day. This has been occuring since more than two weeks ago and i have given them 3 types of antibiotics still it didnt cure it. 25 of the layers in which they are laying eggs have already died.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kelvin96: 6:57pm On Mar 12, 2015
@informa51..... sorry about ur loss....have u done pm on any of d dead ones? if yes wat was d result? wat r the three antibiotics u ve previously used?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kengeorge: 7:17pm On Mar 12, 2015
tunezvic:
i dont know how to measure the crude protein and metabolize energy of the feed but i got the the formula from the hatchery that i bought the chicks from and pertaining to the feed, i will increase it to the amount you suggested.

Can you share the formula so I can help you calculate the crude protein and Energy in the feed?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kelvin96: 7:24pm On Mar 12, 2015
@justified amprocox i think is for cocci not cholera. please what are there faeces like? are u seeing anytin like greenish/yellowish faeces? if really they ve this cholera....amprocox is not be what dey need.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 7:26pm On Mar 12, 2015
kelvin961:

Pls return back to top feed starter......maybe u can return back to feed formulation wen dey are 7 weeks
Objective Response pls.
Having read the above comment and others directed at Tunicvic. I will like the house to objectively consider the following.
Research conducted by NAPRI indicated that birds fed with formulated feeds tend to perform better than commercial feeds because it can be beat suited for purpose. e.g feeding in the period of heat. adjusting the feed according to period / age in lay. this accordingly will add to profitability.
Honestly my experience with Broilers has proven otherwise as i tend to get more mortality and combating with frequent respiratory problems.
I intend to switch my pullets to self milled feed as soon as they are 8wks. but the above comments and my experience is not encouraging me.
Going forward, can experienced farmer in the house who have tried both advice becos you save minimum 200naira per bag when you mill and when you have thousands of birds, the amount involved can be huge.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by sleekman(m): 8:07pm On Mar 12, 2015
omejeo:
Pls house help me my farm solder ant is coming there annd disturbing my birds pls help me on how to eradicate them.i am using otapiapia but it has no impacts thanks
Buy N200 Chinese White Powder And Sprinkle Round Ur Chicken Coop Not Inside O!

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 9:27pm On Mar 12, 2015
Oga fnk, how are ur birds doing? I mean the
Ones for ur experiment.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by omejeo: 9:47pm On Mar 12, 2015
Ok thanks noted is it pifpaff u mean boss
sleekman:
Buy N200 Chinese White Powder And Sprinkle Round Ur Chicken Coop Not Inside O!
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 10:23pm On Mar 12, 2015
kelvin96:
@justified amprocox i think is for cocci not cholera. please what are there faeces like? are u seeing anytin like greenish/yellowish faeces? if really they ve this cholera....amprocox is not be what dey need.
I see greenish feaces nd the sick one has paralysed legs...but no nasal discharge, nd they all look healthy but I pick a dead bird every morning.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by sleekman(m): 11:05pm On Mar 12, 2015
omejeo:
Ok thanks noted is it pifpaff u mean boss
I Dont Know D Name. Its In A Small White Plastic Bottle With A Long Red Cap. I Use It In My Where I Produce & Store Palm Oil. Those Things Can Constitute Heavy Nuissance
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by sleekman(m): 11:13pm On Mar 12, 2015
justified19:
I see greenish feaces nd the sick one has paralysed legs...but no nasal discharge, nd they all look healthy but I pick a dead bird every morning.
U Need 2 Head 2a Vet Asap. Im Suspecting Cc. U Need 2 Check Their Water Source 4 Any Algae Or Other Infectious Diseases. Smell Their Feed Does It Smell Like Old Garri? U Also Need 2 Wash Up D Coop Wit Some Chemicals

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 11:17pm On Mar 12, 2015
sleekman:
U Need 2 Head 2a Vet Asap. Im Suspecting Cc. U Need 2 Check Their Water Source 4 Any Algae Or Other Infectious Diseases. Smell Their Feed Does It Smell Like Old Garri? U Also Need 2 Wash Up D Coop Wit Some Chemicals
they are on deep litters, which chemical will I wash it with? my vet prescribed amprocox nd av bn giving dem
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kelvin961: 11:35pm On Mar 12, 2015
justified19:

Greenish feaces and paralysed legs are sign of Newcastle disease ... Sometimes typhoid comes with greenish feaces too....but I tink dis one is ND.......but why would ur vet says they r free of ND?
Pls can u consult a different vet?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 11:36pm On Mar 12, 2015
kelvin961:

Greenish feaces and paralysed legs are sign of Newcastle disease ... Sometimes typhoid comes with greenish feaces too....but I tink dis one is ND.......but why would ur vet says they r free of ND?
Pls can u consult a different vet?
I intend to do dat tomao, and pla wat do I do if it turna out to b ND
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kelvin96: 7:06am On Mar 13, 2015
justified19:
I intend to do dat tomao, and pla wat do I do if it turna out to b ND

@justified19 if it were to be in my farm and if after confirmation by a vet that it is really ND , then i use neoceryl and gumboccine for them for five days and if the last lasota i gave has climed up to 3wks den 2 days after that treatment with neoceryl and gumboccine....i will repeat the lasota. but wait for the vet's report and lets c d treatment he will advised.
pls endeavour to get back to house with the report.
one more tin.....what kind of feed are u using?

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 7:40am On Mar 13, 2015
kelvin96:

@justified19 if it were to be in my farm and if after confirmation by a vet that it is really ND , then i use neoceryl and gumboccine for them for five days and if the last lasota i gave has climed up to 3wks den 2 days after that treatment with neoceryl and gumboccine....i will repeat the lasota. but wait for the vet's report and lets c d treatment he will advised.
pls endeavour to get back to house with the report.
one more tin.....what kind of feed are u using?
I am using top feed concentrate and maize. one bag of concentrate plus 37.5kg of maize
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by laposta: 9:09am On Mar 13, 2015
@ tucurj

That concentrate is designed for 60% Maize & 40% concentrate. If you want to mix a bag of concentrate, you have to use 25kg x 60%/40% = 37.5kg maize.

Cheers

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by bigiyaro(m): 10:06am On Mar 13, 2015
pls gurus in da house, i jst brought home abt 100 broiler docs, i made a brooding house n even warmed it up before put them inside,i gave them grand cereal broiler starter, clean water n the temprature is ok. However,d docs r not eating actively, i want to ask if this is normal n at wat age can i start giving them vitamins? They r 2 days old today 13-3-15. Also wen do i give them thier first vaccine n which one. Thanks for ur help.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 10:45am On Mar 13, 2015
bigiyaro. You're supposed to start them up on vitamin (to combat the stress of transporting them from wherever to your place) and antibiotics to prepare them for their first vaccine which should come middle of their second week. I suspect their relative inactivity is a result of the stress you haven't combated with the vitamin. Success.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 11:10am On Mar 13, 2015
Hello great farmers, Please anyone that has a capacity of about 2000 broilers and above should contact me, a friend needs about 10,000 but I know I can't get it in just a single farm,so we are ready to pick as low as 2000 per farm. The birds must have a good weight and the age should be between 5 to 6wks old. My contact is 08038619766 or 08058917072.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by bigiyaro(m): 1:10pm On Mar 13, 2015
Eggcelent:
bigiyaro. You're supposed to start them up on vitamin (to combat the stress of transporting them from wherever to your place) and antibiotics to prepare them for their first vaccine which should come middle of their second week. I suspect their relative inactivity is a result of the stress you haven't combated with the vitamin. Success.
thanks for help oga eggcelent. Is it too late for d vits n antbiotics? If its nt late what type do i give them?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 2:34pm On Mar 13, 2015
bigiyaro. It is not too late. I'll advice you start giving them NOW. Meanwhile, I can't tell you which vitamins/antibiotics to use as what is readily available where I'm may not be so easily accessible where you are. Besides, the history of the hatchery the birds are from also influence what you start them on. However, as a pointer, you may consider the following; vitalyte and/or aminovet (vitamins); flonicol, anicillin and/or anitylodox (antibiotics). Success.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by curiousme(m): 5:03pm On Mar 13, 2015
@aAk1 Measurement can be an issue sometime but u must just master how d calculation is done. Now what ever d measurement u have y must convert to centimeter. i.e ft» m» cm. less assume we have a room measuring 30ft by 60ft we convert both to meter by dividing each by 3 (3ft=1m) then multiply by 100 that takes d result to cetimeters. ok Now multiply both result and divide by 2025 Sqcm. e. g 30/3=10m*100=1000cm while 60/3=20m*100=2000cm
1000*2000/2025= 987 birds for dat space.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tunezvic(m): 5:48pm On Mar 13, 2015
kengeorge:

Can you share the formula so I can help you calculate the crude protein and Energy in the feed?
mr man, you dont have to scope me to get the formula from me. just tell me you want my formula.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tunezvic(m): 6:06pm On Mar 13, 2015
Infoman51:
Please help me, am losing my layers everyday due to paralysis of there legs which start every evening of the day. This has been occuring since more than two weeks ago and i have given them 3 types of antibiotics still it didnt cure it. 25 of the layers in which they are laying eggs have already died.
from your diagnosis, your birds are infected with new castle disease and please find reputable veterinarian in your locality to treat them.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 6:32pm On Mar 13, 2015
tunezvic:
mr man, you dont have to scope me to get the formula from me. just tell me you want my formula.

hahaha. formula plenty naa. so why will he use ur formula when u just said ur birds are having issue and the feed maybe a likely cause.

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by brownskingirl(f): 6:53pm On Mar 13, 2015
Does amytotal extra decline egg production. N wat drugs will mk my laying lay more eggs. Not on n off.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 7:06pm On Mar 13, 2015
tucurj:

Its Top Feed Concentrate For Layers,whats Written On The Bag Is 40% Layer Concentrate And You Only Need To Add 60 Maize
Ok
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 7:24pm On Mar 13, 2015
justified19:
they are on deep litters, which chemical will I wash it with? my vet prescribed amprocox nd av bn giving dem
Go for lab test bc that's better. Go with a dead bird and some sick birds. If you can't, try giving conflox and tylodox. I once had a similar experience.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 7:29pm On Mar 13, 2015
brownskingirl:
Does amytotal extra decline egg production. N wat drugs will mk my laying lay more eggs. Not on n off.
Do you mean Amin'total? One way to increase egg production is by giving them extra light at night. Switch on at 6pm and off at 10pm. But increase it gradually.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tunezvic(m): 8:39pm On Mar 13, 2015
mercylicious:

hahaha. formula plenty naa. so why will he use ur formula when u just said ur birds are having issue and the feed maybe a likely cause.

point of correction , my birds are not having any issues. I just asked for suggestion from more experienced farmers. learning is continuous.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tunezvic(m): 8:50pm On Mar 13, 2015
kelvin96:
if i see the formula i can calculate the ME and d CP .....
check your mail.

(1) (2) (3) ... (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.