Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,145 members, 7,811,221 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:57 AM

Youtube Creates Specific Channel For Nollywood - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Youtube Creates Specific Channel For Nollywood (4972 Views)

Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? / 22 Important Questions For Nollywood / New Nollywood Channel For Uk Residents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Youtube Creates Specific Channel For Nollywood by aloyemeka2: 12:51am On Apr 07, 2011
[size=14pt]Nollywood comes to YouTube[/size]

By Jeremy Daniel: Associate Editor

In a major boost for the African film industry, YouTube has created a Nollywood-specific channel on YouTube. The channel boasts over 400 Nollywood movies that can now be downloaded and viewed for free from anywhere in the world.

Nollywood is the casual term for the Nigerian film industry which, during the 1990s and 2000s, “grew to become the second largest film industry in the world in terms of number of annual film productions, placing it ahead of the United States and behind the Indian film industry” according to Wikipedia.

The Nollywoodlove channel is the result of a creative partnership between YouTube and a company called Iroko Partners, a team of 25 based in Lagos and London who are passionate about financially supporting African culture. According to its site, “Iroko provides distribution, rights management and marketing services to Africa’s many regional movie industries”, and is seeking to add a layer of legitimacy to the growing West African film industry.

The company began a few years ago when founder Jason Njoku moved to London with the idea of providing a safe, credible retail store for people to buy Nollywood movies online. That led to a number of trips back and forth to Nigeria and meetings to create a legal infrastructure for international distribution for Nigerian movies.

The Nollywoodlove channel on YouTube has received over 18-million views to date. In terms of its business model, the company “has a partnership with YouTube which enables it to run adverts alongside or inside the movies you are watching, which allows it to ensure a film is free for NollywoodLovers globally”.
Iroko goes to great pains to point out that it has obtained the movies legally. As it writes on the YouTube channel “Do we buy movies legally? A little clarification. Firstly. Yes, yes and yes! we have invested tens of thousands of dollars buying the right to stream movies on YouTube and the internet. These are multi year contracts which go directly to the film production houses. This is very different and many times more expensive than what used to happen (buying a market copy and simply uploading and sharing), and is patently illegal.”
Check out the Nollywood Love channel right here and immerse yourself in the magic of Nigerian cinema.

http://memeburn.com/2011/04/nollywood-comes-to-youtube/
Re: Youtube Creates Specific Channel For Nollywood by aloyemeka1: 10:57pm On Apr 13, 2011
Good business move.
Re: Youtube Creates Specific Channel For Nollywood by ayomide202(f): 12:17am On Apr 14, 2011
i watch my english movies on Nollywood channel too after my other favorite channels got bursted!! i wish they will start added yoruba too
Re: Youtube Creates Specific Channel For Nollywood by FBS: 9:59am On Apr 14, 2011
Let me check it out.
Re: Youtube Creates Specific Channel For Nollywood by largie(f): 10:06pm On Apr 30, 2011
There are a few things i still don't get about them,if their site is really free what do they stand to gain and why are they after other sites that post better movies than they do?Those other sites too post for free .
Re: Youtube Creates Specific Channel For Nollywood by IdiAmin2(m): 10:25am On May 01, 2011
largie:

There are a few things i still don't get about them,if their site is really free what do they stand to gain and why are they after other sites that post better movies than they do?Those other sites too post for free .
Firstly, the subject has to be changed because YOUTUBE did not CREATE the channel, Nollywoodlove just created an account just like everybody else and posting movies like anybody else.

Second, I have to agree with largie, this is a fraud, 419, plain and simple. This guy does not have any exclusive rights to EVERY SINGLE PRODUCTION HOUSE IN NIGERIA (and Ghana as he claims on his site) - we are talking about 250 - 300 production houses. So does it mean every single production house in 9ja sold the rights to him? I don't think so. I think he is just looking for a monopoly, that is why he is always filing false copyright claims against other posters, bringing down other people's channels. he has closed down a lot of my favourite channels where I watch Yoruba movies.

Iam guessing that once he has eliminated all rivals and competition and has the monopoly, he will take down all those movies, and all those who are hooked to his Youtube channel will have to go to his website www.nollywoodlove.com and register for a monthly or annual fee to have access.

About the adverts on his movies, Youtube is paying him everytime a video is viewed, some of his popular movies have 400,000 views. For example if youtube is paying him 2 cents (I believe it's more than that) for everytime an advert is viewed, that is 8,000 dollars just for that 1 posted movie. Now, the question we must ask is if this cat is pocketing the money, or giving a % back to the production house. I think it's the former.
Re: Youtube Creates Specific Channel For Nollywood by amblors(m): 11:43am On Aug 03, 2011
I have uploaded a couple of songs that have been blocked on grounds of infringing copyright.
videos that were flagged are Faze - am in the mood, and a remix of Duncan Mighty Obianuju.

The "M.I Lost ft Loose Kaynon" video i uploaded has just been flagged.

Can some enlighten me, how a song that was released freely and samples another artist song (of which I am sure there was copyright fee paid) is owned by Iroko Partners.
Re: Youtube Creates Specific Channel For Nollywood by badassfine: 3:04am On Aug 14, 2011
amblors:

I have uploaded a couple of songs that have been blocked on grounds of infringing copyright.
videos that were flagged are Faze - am in the mood, and a remix of Duncan Mighty Obianuju.

The "M.I Lost ft Loose Kaynon" video i uploaded has just been flagged.

Can some enlighten me, how a song that was released freely and samples another artist song (of which I am sure there was copyright fee paid) is owned by Iroko Partners.

bro i feel your pain, most of the channels that i watched my naija songs have either been block or deleted by the so proclaim "Messiah of Nollywood" (that greedy fat ugly bastard with one yeye british accent) like that. Its sad that we nigerians are not paying attention to this guy before he destroyed both the music and movies industry. Youtube is not is papa property but the fat bastard is trying to monopolize Youtube because of some stupid adverts thats is getting paid for. Thunder go fire am. Let all be reasonable how can one person own the copyright to over 300 movies house in naija and is about doing the same on the music industry, SMH
Re: Youtube Creates Specific Channel For Nollywood by anonymous6(f): 12:49am On Aug 18, 2011
Good channel, I joined Nollywoodlove and the yorubalove channel and its worth it
Re: Youtube Creates Specific Channel For Nollywood by amblors(m): 12:51am On Aug 18, 2011
^^^
wot do you mean "joined"?

(1) (Reply)

Zootopia, Official Site For Download / Nollywood Not Better Than Ghollywood — Yvonne Nelson / Download Thor 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.