Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,023 members, 7,835,470 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:35 AM

5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married (5046 Views)

I Regret Getting Married To The Mother Of My Triplets / 9 Nigerian Men Share Why They Regret Getting Married / I'm About To Regret Getting Married (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married by BigCabal: 5:49pm On Feb 11, 2021
Is it possible to regret something that you have been taught should be the “best decision of your life”? Yes, and these five Nigerian women share why they regret getting married.

Anita, 27
He lied about everything. About his extended family, his job, his entire life was basically a lie. I only found out after getting married to him. He told me he was a UX writer, but it turns out he is an Electrician. That would not have been a problem, so why did he feel the need to lie about it? He told me his parents were dead and he was not close to his extended family. Another lie. One day, his Uncle reached out to me on Instagram. Turns out both his parents are very much alive.

When we were getting married, he told me he wanted a small wedding. I did not think too much about it because I genuinely loved him and just wanted to be married to him. Apparently, he wanted a small wedding because he had other wives and kids. Plural. I feel like I am carrying him through the marriage. They say “men are babies” and it sounds cool until you realise that it is not metaphoric, but literal. I never knew there could be such emotionally, underdeveloped, men. Right now, I do not know what is a lie and what is not.

Amaka
I was 33 when I got married and honestly, I do not think marriage benefits women in the long run. Whatever people consider a benefit, does not equal all the things marriage makes you lose. I think marriage hindered me from doing certain things because there is a huge constraint on your time and energy. You are meant to be building the family, but then things you are building does not necessarily benefit you. A men can be working to build his family, while building his career at the same time. He gains both the benefits of being married to you such as free labour, but women can’t say the same thing. The nine years I spent building my family, I could have built my career. The only solution was to not be married anymore so I did that, and my life has been happier and healthier.

Chisom, 27
Marrying my husband was the biggest mistake of my life. Even with all the red flags I saw, I still went ahead and got married to him. He is a serial cheat and a totally unrepentant one. While we were dating he would apologise when he got caught, but now that we are married he has such a nonchalant attitude about it. As if he feels like I cannot do anything about it. He hides the fact that he is married from anyone and if I tell his girls, he gets angry and keeps malice with me. He says we are not a good match and we have nothing in common. How do you not figure out we have nothing in common for the six years we dated? SIX! Now I am pregnant and want to end the marriage but he is threatening to take the child away from me.

Continue: https://www.zikoko.com/her/5-nigerian-women-share-why-they-regret-getting-married/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married by Eriokanmi: 5:50pm On Feb 11, 2021
shocked

Fabricated

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married by Envelopus: 6:04pm On Feb 11, 2021
embarassed
Re: 5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married by crackhaus: 6:11pm On Feb 11, 2021
Despite all of the true confession in the OP above, what makes me really happy is that none of our wonderful & gracious married ladies on NL has had any regrets about getting married...

Men can't be that bad afterall.

10 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married by Nobody: 6:16pm On Feb 11, 2021
is this thing worth going into sef? undecided.

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married by Klass99(f): 6:27pm On Feb 11, 2021
smiley

5 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married by Nobody: 6:48pm On Feb 11, 2021
Eriokanmi:
shocked

Fabricated

It's not fabricated. It's true.

I have a very close married friend that still told me three days ago how she wishes to leave her marriage because she misses her single life and freedom. She said she wishes to do things at her own pace and will again.

She said marriage has made her lose herself and she needs to build herself back to that person she wanted to be.

Men don't know that marriage is a huge sacrifice the women make for them to achieve somethings in life yet they won't value the woman

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married by armyofone(m): 6:59pm On Feb 11, 2021
See how happy you are eh, women can't be all that bad.

Madam, our sistah is really taking good care of you cheesy

Those ones up there just didn't look well enough or look at the right place. Not all brother Nicodemus are the real deal tongue grin

crackhaus:
Despite all of the true confession in the OP above, what makes me really happy is that none of our wonderful & gracious married ladies on NL has had any regrets about getting married...

Men can't be that bad afterall.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married by Oizee(f): 7:07pm On Feb 11, 2021
we have our ups and downs, but regret is a strong word.... may I never have any cause to regret

5 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married by Liposure: 7:14pm On Feb 11, 2021
Marriage is for better, for worse. You can always endure.
Re: 5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married by Liposure: 7:32pm On Feb 11, 2021
CalliDora1:

I have a very close married friend that still told me three days ago how she wishes to leave her marriage because she misses her single life and freedom. She said she wishes to do things at her own pace and will again.

She said marriage has made her lose herself and she needs to build herself back to that person she wanted to be.

Men don't know that marriage is a huge sacrifice the women make for them to achieve somethings in life yet they won't value the woman

The sacrifice is nothing compared to what men pass through as breadwinners when you consider the burdens, responsibilities and load they shoulder in marriage.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married by armyofone(m): 7:33pm On Feb 11, 2021
Anita made me laugh. Her husband = those naija guys that like to form...you see them in jeans and t-shirts acting like they just arrived grin maybe she mixed/missed it when she heard US (UX) writer grin

Fun read cheesy
BigCabal:
Is it possible to regret something that you have been taught should be the “best decision of your life”? Yes, and these five Nigerian women share why they regret getting married.

Anita, 27
He lied about everything. About his extended family, his job, his entire life was basically a lie. I only found out after getting married to him. He told me he was a UX writer, but it turns out he is an Electrician. That would not have been a problem, so why did he feel the need to lie about it? He told me his parents were dead and he was not close to his extended family. Another lie. One day, his Uncle reached out to me on Instagram. Turns out both his parents are very much alive.

When we were getting married, he told me he wanted a small wedding. I did not think too much about it because I genuinely loved him and just wanted to be married to him. Apparently, he wanted a small wedding because he had other wives and kids. Plural. I feel like I am carrying him through the marriage. They say “men are babies” and it sounds cool until you realise that it is not metaphoric, but literal. I never knew there could be such emotionally, underdeveloped, men. Right now, I do not know what is a lie and what is not.

Amaka
I was 33 when I got married and honestly, I do not think marriage benefits women in the long run. Whatever people consider a benefit, does not equal all the things marriage makes you lose. I think marriage hindered me from doing certain things because there is a huge constraint on your time and energy. You are meant to be building the family, but then things you are building does not necessarily benefit you. A men can be working to build his family, while building his career at the same time. He gains both the benefits of being married to you such as free labour, but women can’t say the same thing. The nine years I spent building my family, I could have built my career. The only solution was to not be married anymore so I did that, and my life has been happier and healthier.

Chisom, 27
Marrying my husband was the biggest mistake of my life. Even with all the red flags I saw, I still went ahead and got married to him. He is a serial cheat and a totally unrepentant one. While we were dating he would apologise when he got caught, but now that we are married he has such a nonchalant attitude about it. As if he feels like I cannot do anything about it. He hides the fact that he is married from anyone and if I tell his girls, he gets angry and keeps malice with me. He says we are not a good match and we have nothing in common. How do you not figure out we have nothing in common for the six years we dated? SIX! Now I am pregnant and want to end the marriage but he is threatening to take the child away from me.

Continue: https://www.zikoko.com/her/5-nigerian-women-share-why-they-regret-getting-married/
Re: 5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married by Nobody: 7:39pm On Feb 11, 2021
Liposure:
The sacrifice is nothing compared to what men pass through when you consider the burdens, the responsibilities and the load they shoulder as head of the family.

Gone are the days when only the men shoulder all the responsibilities. Women now share in the responsibilities and still do extra in the home front which further drains and frustrates the hell out of them.

Me I kukuma still dey look. If any man shows sign of frustrating my life during courtship, Ill take a bow.

Single life sweet shagrin but society will not let one rest with their amebo questions.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married by thelish(f): 8:23pm On Feb 11, 2021
Liposure:
The sacrifice is nothing compared to what men pass through as breadwinners when you consider the burdens, the responsibilities and the load they shoulder in marriage.

So many men now are bread losers ooo

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married by Uyi168: 8:32pm On Feb 11, 2021
CalliDora1:

Keep blaming men for all your generational problems.
Old anty.

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married by Yusufisraelj(m): 8:32pm On Feb 11, 2021
CalliDora1:

Gone are the days when only the men shoulder all the responsibilities. Women now share in the responsibilities and still do extra in the home front which further drains and frustrates the hell out of them.

No doubt that's bkos the economic landscape have changed, what you will do with one (1) effort then will require ten (10) these days.

However that's not to say that a wife should be treated anyhow, I really wonder what people do when courting, that being said, there's more than meets the eye as regards marriage and this has do with what is unseen.
Re: 5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married by mariahAngel(f): 8:32pm On Feb 11, 2021
BigCabal:

Anita, 27

Amaka

Chisom, 27

Jane, 29

I am currently separated now, but I still do not forgive myself for the decision to get married. I got married at 27 and separated nine months later. The truth is I knew I didn’t want to be married anymore by two days to the wedding, but didn’t know how to tell my family. The reason I eventually gave my family for leaving was because I caught him cheating. When I said I was leaving, he locked me up and threatened to kill me. A week after the incident, when he went to work I ran away.

He stalked me for about three months after I left. I even tried to get a restraining order, but that did not work. When I reported to the police, they collected my money and said they’d treat it as attempted murder. When I got back, they said they wanted to ‘settle’ the case. His family definitely paid them off, but the police thing kind of helped because after that the obvious stalking stopped. He currently does not know where I am, but he has an idea of the exact town. Thankfully there were no kids, but I still have panic and anxiety attacks till date.

Fola, 35

I got married at 24 and now that I look back it was way too early. He was 29 so a little older than me, but not very mature. I didn’t know what qualities to look for in a partner when I got married to him, all I knew was that I loved him. Bad choice. He wanted to pull that traditional man, head of the home thing and I wasn’t having in. Two months into the marriage and the physical abuse started. It was very irregular and I’d never know when it would happen so it caused me a lot of anxiety. I never backed down, wouldn’t cower and be a submissive wife. It took me 10 years to finally walk away from the lies, cheating, physical abuse and emotional abuse. 10 solid years of nonsense. Now, I look back and realize how badly that situation affect me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married by Amanee(f): 8:39pm On Feb 11, 2021
Nice read
Re: 5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married by Nobody: 8:53pm On Feb 11, 2021
Yusufisraelj:

No doubt that's bkos the economic landscape have changed, what you will do with one (1) effort then will require ten (10) these days.

However that's not to say that a wife should be treated anyhow, I really wonder what people do when courting, that being said, there's more than meets the eye as regards marriage and this has do with what is unseen.

Yeah you're right.marriage is beyond the physical.

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married by Vyolet(f): 8:53pm On Feb 11, 2021
Amaka

This lady raised a valid point but there are exceptions.
A woman can grow her family and grow her career at the same time, all she needs is a supportive husband who genuinely wishes her well, she needs to know how to manage her time in other to balance her home and career, it's not easy but it is achievable.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married by Nobody: 8:59pm On Feb 11, 2021
Uyi168:
Keep blaming men for all your generational problems.
Old anty.

Why do you like resorting to abuse and insults when a lady turns down your advances or ignores you?
What warranted this insolence from you this bush boy?

Anyways, as usual, I'll keep ignoring you. Continue being pained.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married by Klass99(f): 9:06pm On Feb 11, 2021
smiley

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married by Uyi168: 9:13pm On Feb 11, 2021
CalliDora1:

Why do you like resorting to abuse and insults when a lady turns down your advances or ignores you?
What warranted this insolence from you this bush boy?

Anyways, as usual, I'll keep ignoring you. Continue being pained.

I don't even know u.
Old Hanty.

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married by Nobody: 9:19pm On Feb 11, 2021
Klass99:

My classmate said something similar during a heart to heart conversation, where we were catching up after years of being out of touch and not seeing each other.

In her case, she said she hadn't even discovered herself nor really known herself when she got married, then the kids started coming and everything became about her hubby and kids, while her own wants, needs, aspirations and life pretty much faded into the background.

Another classmate said, she's tired of just being a mom and a wife, if she knew marriage was this way, she would have held off on it for some time and focused on herself, life and career before getting into it.

Amaka (the 2nd lady in the original post) wasn't off point when she said - you lose more than you benefit as a woman in marriage. I have seen this happen with my own cousin and another classmate who was such a bright and shining star in school. Nah 3 different classmates I dey reference here

I'm not against marriage but I think young girls/women should live a little, as in, live life by themselves, for themselves and on their terms for a while, before they venture into it.

Because, when you do it too soon like right after college or university it's as if your life gets taken over by hubby and kids, before you've actually had a chance to live and discover you a bit.

Then it also feels like you are mostly told what to do all your life and decisions are made for you by others, when you go straight from daddy's house to hubby's house.
There was no break and no chance at all, to do you and make independent decisions of your own without being overruled.

Its scary. Like sometimes I look at most married women and they are a shadow of themselves, looking like the weight of the whole world is upon their shoulders and I begin to think back and forth about this marriage of a thing.

8 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married by Nobody: 9:25pm On Feb 11, 2021
Uyi168:
I don't even know u.
Old Hanty.

See how you shot yourself in the foot. You don't know me yet you know I'm old.

Should I dig up the post where you were toasting me?? Naah... I ain't got time for pettiness. Just swerve!

Uchu!

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married by Uyi168: 9:26pm On Feb 11, 2021
CalliDora1:

See how you shot yourself in the foot. You don't know me yet you know that I'm old.

Should I dig up the post where you were toasting me?? Naah... I ain't got time for pettiness. Just swerve!

Uchu!
Lol.
Seriously, who get that time to now start digging stuffs up.

Looks like what you'll do.
Re: 5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married by olanrewaju93375: 10:03pm On Feb 11, 2021
we have our ups and downs, but regret is a strong word.... may I never have any cause to regret
Re: 5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married by armyofone(m): 10:07pm On Feb 11, 2021
True - most time they don't know how to stand up for themselves before and after marriage. I think ladies should make their opinions be heard during courtship so you don't end up carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders.

Why won't stress ( carrying the weight of the world) destroy someone who is unable to tell her man, babes watch the kids or cook dinner because I'm going for a run in the neighborhood ?

CalliDora1:

Its scary. Like sometimes I look at most married women and they are a shadow of themselves, looking like the weight of the whole world is upon their shoulders and I begin to think back and forth about this marriage of a thing.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married by Nobody: 10:19pm On Feb 11, 2021
armyofone:
True - most time they don't know how to stand up for themselves before and after marriage. I think ladies should make their opinions be heard during courtship so you don't end up carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders.

Why won't stress ( carrying the weight of the world) destroy someone who is unable to tell her man, babes watch the kids or cook dinner because I'm going for a run in the neighborhood ?

How many men even agree to assist with the chores these days? Only a few and because the woman wants to be called a good and industrious wife she'll be suffering and smiling.

I remember those days I was still into dating. So, one day I went to see the guys aunt who came around and i slept over because the place was far (Sango Ota). In the morning, the guy came to my room around 9am ( it was a Saturday) and told me the aunty said hope I'll make a good wife so. That this one I'm still in bed by this time . And I told him Immediately. I said, come, I don't joke with my sleep o. You and your aunty better get used to it or I do a U turn. He now said I should not mind her and all that.

I'll let you know my dos and don'ts. If you're not cool with it, take a walk.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married by armyofone(m): 10:48pm On Feb 11, 2021
grin @ "I don't joke with my sleep" grin
When i'm awake, that's when I cook. If you can't wait, then by all means fix something and please keep mine warm grin

CalliDora1:

How many men even agree to assist with the chores these days? Only a few and because the woman wants to be called a good and industrious wife she'll be suffering and smiling.

I remember those days I was still into dating. So, one day I went to see the guys aunt who came around and i slept over because the place was far (Sango Ota). In the morning, the guy came to my room around 9am ( it was a Saturday) and told me the aunty said hope I'll make a good wife so. That this one I'm still in bed by this time . And I told him Immediately. I said, come, I don't joke with my sleep o. You and your aunty better get used to it or I do a U turn. He now said I should not mind her and all that.

I'll let you know my dos and don'ts. If you're not cool with it, take a walk.

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married by Nobody: 11:07pm On Feb 11, 2021
armyofone:
grin @ "I don't joke with my sleep" grin
When i'm awake, that's when I cook. If you can't wait, then by all means fix something and please keep mine warm grin

Lol.. ah! That sleep ehn??

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Women Share Why They Regret Getting Married by thorpido(m): 11:22pm On Feb 11, 2021
Chisom,27.Even with all the red flags I saw, I still went ahead and got married to him.
They always blame others but never themselves.It starts first from the choices you make.How come they never blame themselves for the poor choices?
@Anita says he lied about everything.Isn't it your duty to do a background check on him before saying I do?How come you married someone you didn't know husband family?
Klass99:

My classmate said something similar during a heart to heart conversation, where we were catching up after years of being out of touch and not seeing each other.

In her case, she said she hadn't even discovered herself nor really known herself when she got married, then the kids started coming and everything became about her hubby and kids, while her own wants, needs, aspirations and life pretty much faded into the background.

Another classmate said, she's tired of just being a mom and a wife, if she knew marriage was this way, she would have held off on it for some time and focused on herself, life and career before getting into it.

Amaka (the 2nd lady in the original post) wasn't off point when she said - you lose more than you benefit as a woman in marriage. I have seen this happen with my own cousin and another classmate who was such a bright and shining star in school. Nah 3 different classmates I dey reference here

I'm not against marriage but I think young girls/women should live a little, as in, live life by themselves, for themselves and on their terms for a while, before they venture into it.

I think when you do it too soon like right after college or during uni, it's as if your life gets taken over by hubby and kids, before you've actually had a chance to live and discover you a bit.

Then it also feels like you are mostly told what to do all your life and decisions are made for you by others, when you go straight from daddy's house to hubby's house.
There was no break and no chance at all, to do you and make independent decisions of your own without being overruled.

What I have learnt generally is that an early marriage does not guarantee happiness, neither does a late one. Just do you and do the things that bring joy and happiness into your heart.
If it's so bad,how come there are females who are married and are professors?How come there are married women who are MDs of big organisations?
It's not just gloom and doom.

Plan your marriage well,get a man with a good support system and all will fall into place.We can't have it all, sacrifices have to be made at some point.One thing has to be forgone or delayed for another.

Marriage is never the problem.

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Gas Cooker For Sale.... / Thank you to the Nairalanders; My Son(chidube) Got a Prize at Germany Mini-model 2011. / Wow!!!! My Friend Picked My Call In The Middle Of Sex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.