Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,177 members, 7,849,634 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 06:31 AM

Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" (2226 Views)

Northern Food And Cattle Dealers Threaten To Stop Food Supply Nationwide / Darah: Threat To Withdraw Northern Food Supplies To Rivers, A Welcome Challenge / Oby Ezekwesili & Her Predictions About The Nigeria Air Few Months Ago (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" by Blue3k(m): 8:19am On Feb 28, 2021
How do you think this so called embargo will end post your predictions on the thread. Win internet brownie points for your predictive prowess.

Front page: Lalasticlala mynd44

Congrats to the winners who predicted correctly Teetee777 seunlayi Gandollaar. All these users said it would not last a week.

The leadership of Cattle and Foodstuff dealers under the aegis of Amalgamated Union of Foodstuff and Cattle Dealers of Nigeria (AUFCDN) has agreed to end the blockade of supplies to the south.

1 Like

Re: Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" by Blue3k(m): 8:23am On Feb 28, 2021
The status quo will return in 3 months or less. Right now it's just pointless chestbeating by certain parties. Nobody going to leave an untapped market to be unserved and risk losing market share.

5 Likes

Re: Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" by Iamgrey5(m): 8:30am On Feb 28, 2021
Well thank God we have direct access to Land and Sea border in the South west

Demand drives supply not the other way around.

I hope the Northerners understand this basic principle of economics.

9 Likes

Re: Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" by Jashub: 8:33am On Feb 28, 2021
I give this thing 3months to blow over. After that, things will return to normal.

1 Like

Re: Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" by GuyWise101(m): 8:36am On Feb 28, 2021
Nna mehnnnnnnnnnnnnn

The nonsense won't last more than two weeks, by the time they see hundreds baskets of tomatoes rottening they wouldn't be told what to do.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" by Tulsaguy: 8:37am On Feb 28, 2021
make I sip kunnu first, without that, I cannot can.

1 Like

Re: Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" by Blue3k(m): 8:45am On Feb 28, 2021
Jashub:
I give this thing 3months to blow over. After that, things will return to normal.

Facts, drama queens here just exaggerate the importance of every event. After 3 months max the issue is dead and the new fad begins.

Front page: Lalasticlala mynd44

1 Like

Re: Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" by Etrusen(m): 8:46am On Feb 28, 2021
I think this issue will die before the next three months

but at least before then everyone would have learn to search their heart for the betterment of others if not

then.....

the second coming will be disastrous

anyway that aside

I think we Nigerians are now use to all this type of life of disagreement sincerely If you ask me I dont see Nigeria separating at all even with all these storms

this situation will not be the last and even the ones to come will not separate this nation .

let me just say Nigerians can catch cruise with anything even with their country

this is where we find ourselves

na cruise all of us dey

1 Like

Re: Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" by Blue3k(m): 8:49am On Feb 28, 2021
Iamgrey5:

Please refer to Says law.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" by Nobody: 9:00am On Feb 28, 2021
Firstly beans , cow and goats don't come from core north but from Niger ....fulanis are just middle men that's all .....so Niger would look for way to keep selling to their biggest market

Cows are cheaper in Ghana , togo , Benin around $200 to $300 max compared to Nigeria at around $500 to $800 ....do your maths and trust my igbo brothers ...

Cameron have tomatoes n onions ( or we can import cheaply from china ) covered

Benue our southern brothers caved into the north with our jos brothers would provide the rest

These are short terms

Long term north has opened the eyes of southerners to this possibility ....seeds would be developed or brought that can do well here

See sack farming if onions n yarn springing up in the south ... tomatoes green house would go up soon ....green house for vegetables too

North just lost over $50 worth of trade in the next 10 years by this stupid act

7 Likes

Re: Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" by Iamgrey5(m): 9:04am On Feb 28, 2021
Blue3k:

Please refer to Says law.
The lower the price, the higher quality demanded

The higher the price, the lower the quantity demanded are basic principles of demand in a market economy like ours

Also with higher price of a commodity the higher the commodity gets exposed to opportunity cost ( desire for alternatives)

Price is Obviously a catalyst but demand plays a key role to drive supply.

As long as there's demand there will always be an alternate supply somewhere or alternative available.

But supply cannot create demand.

4 Likes

Re: Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" by Teetee777: 9:20am On Feb 28, 2021
This week, things will go back to normal because;

1 some sellers or farmers has now counting their loss

2. Buyer don't have anything to loose than the time to waste b4 getting another seller

3. The price of the market will come down in all northern state market because of this strike

4. News that northern has diverted their market to neighboring countries were not true, if it is true, those trailers lining up at boarders to enter southern states would have turn back and go to other country

5. So right now, they are now counting their losses, buyer don't have anything to loose than the price of the market which going to increase till they get another supplier

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" by Blue3k(m): 9:21am On Feb 28, 2021
Iamgrey5:

Price is Obviously a catalyst but demand plays a key role to drive supply.

As long as there's demand there always be an alternate supply somewhere or alternative available.

But supply cannot create demand.

Did you look up says law like like I asked you to? Yes says law explains how why production must occure to to spur demad because the quantity demanded for good is equivalent to good supplied to markets. This means goods supplied in essence creates demand essentially.

3 Likes

Re: Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" by Blue3k(m): 9:41am On Feb 28, 2021
Teetee777:
This week, things will go back to normal

Boldest predictions of the thread nice nice.

GuyWise101:
Nna mehnnnnnnnnnnnnn

The nonsense won't last more than two weeks,

Another bold prediction. I bow to your superior preditive powers if either of you end up being correct.
Re: Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" by Onuoha1234(m): 9:44am On Feb 28, 2021
The first commodity to stop going South are Cows Cows! Take them to Bauchi. These fooling action is a blessing to the South. Watch how innovators will spring surprise in the East.They will start a crusade for who will be the first to make it Big.They revel in competition!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" by Iamgrey5(m): 10:01am On Feb 28, 2021
Blue3k:

Did you look up says law like like I asked you to? Yes says law explains how why production must occure to to spur demad because the quantity demanded for good is equivalent to good supplied to markets. This means goods supplied in essence creates demand essentially.

No sir

Demand creates commodity supply.

if we leave economics for a bit and focus on consumer buying behaviour from the aspect of Marketing you will understand better.

Consumer buying behaviour is how a consumer decides to buy a product.

It's basically in five stages

Problem recognition

information gathering

Evaluating process

Purchase phases

And post purchase phase

Here emphasis is placed on consumer first determing the need for a product i.e cold drink to quench thirst or onions to spice up food

then gather information about a prices and availability of the product before deciding alternatives and buy what he can afford.

Hence, if the customer never desire the product, sales will never happen.

Demand drives supply.

5 Likes

Re: Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" by Blue3k(m): 10:35am On Feb 28, 2021
Iamgrey5:

Hence, if the customer never desire the product, sales will never happen.

Demand drives supply.

Your arguement doesn't nullify says law at all. Customers dont always know what they want in advance because nobody has perfect information about the future products. When new products are invented they can become valuable later example being oil. Second the cure for cancer is highly demanded but it hasnt been supplied by anyone.

Demand effects quantity supplied by influencing the price. Your just stating the demand side Keynesian theory on the subject.

4 Likes

Re: Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" by Nobody: 10:37am On Feb 28, 2021
Iamgrey5:

It takes brains to understand the principles of economics. Having enough brain cells for reasoning has never been the northerners' strength.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" by Iamgrey5(m): 10:40am On Feb 28, 2021
Blue3k:

Your arguement doesn't nullify says law at all. Customers dont always know what they want in advance because nobody has perfect information about the future products. When new products are invented they can become valuable later example being oil. Second the cure for cancer is highly demanded but it hasnt been supplied by anyone.

Demand effects quantity supplied by influencing the price. Your just stating the demand side Keynesian theory on the subject.
Invention is based on desire

it was because of the smell of horse that automobile was invented.

There are numerous research been carried out in International institutions to find cure for cancer as we speak because of the demand for the product.

2 Likes

Re: Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" by Nobody: 10:42am On Feb 28, 2021
Those northern food merchants are bastards if they ever bring any food to southern Nigeria again. Let's see who's going to lose.

4 Likes

Re: Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" by Nobody: 10:51am On Feb 28, 2021
Blue3k:

Facts, drama queens here just exaggerate the importance of every event. After 3 months max the issue is dead and the new fad begins.

You've just won the first price for the 'Describe Nairaland in a sentence' contest. cheesy

All that is happening in Nigeria, na wash.

I can recall the student riots of 1986...was very young. Wihtin a few months...back to normal

Or the tension around June 12 1993...even before Abacha coup, back to normal...
Re: Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" by Gandollaar(f): 11:02am On Feb 28, 2021
Godarz:

You've just won the first price for the 'Describe Nairaland in a sentence' contest. cheesy

All that is happening in Nigeria, na wash.

I can recall the student riots of 1986...was very young. Wihtin a few months...back to normal

Or the tension around June 12 1993...even before Abacha coup, back to normal...
One day...

Remember#EndSars

If this so-called embargo lasts till this weekend, I'll be dammned!

Quotasystem is sniffing around looking for hostages.
Re: Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" by Ojiofor: 11:05am On Feb 28, 2021
Iamgrey5:

But both the sea and land border is in direct control of Northerners.

1 Like

Re: Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" by Nobody: 11:05am On Feb 28, 2021
Gandollaar:
One day...

Remember#EndSars

If this so-called embargo lasts till this weekend, I'll be dammned!

ENDSARS tried, but was doomed to failure for a lot of reasons (division among regional lines, lack of commitment, hijack by politicians, threats form government sponsored thugs. ,hijacked by looters and robbers, and most Nigerian youth did not take part)

As for the embargo...the fact is, government has to be realistic, and stop price controls on fuel . It does not help anyone long term....
Re: Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" by BastardWike: 11:18am On Feb 28, 2021
All I'm seeing here is coward predictions. The North is threatening the entire SW with starvation, whether real or imagined yet all you guys are spewing here are rubbish about how things will eventually return to normal shocked shocked

Don't you have anything to threaten back with? Why allow them getaway with such insult without reciprocating in kind?

No wonder they have no atom of regard for you all in that part of the country.

The tag cowards is actually true and you guys will never gain their respect if you continue like this cry cry

1 Like

Re: Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" by Nobody: 11:31am On Feb 28, 2021
Lol. This garbage from the North is no different to a 60 year old wife threatening to walk out on a husband who has 5 other wives under 30 and far more beautiful than she is.

The North has mainly illiteracy, terrorism, disease proliferation, deprivation, destitution, almajiris, youth restiveness, excruciating poverty of million and nodamism of even children under 11 as the symbols of the region.

This is 2021. Not possible to starve the South in non-War situation. Even Europe, USA, North and South America, Asia and every corner of the globe will airlift food to the South for free than let terrorist bandits, kidnappers of kids, rapists, serial killers and violent aggressors win. Countless African Nations will stand with the South as well.

Some in the North don't realize that they cannot win because, fundamentally, they are the ones in the wrong here. No one will support the North or blink first with this cheap attempt at blackmail from the perpetrators and aggressors now playing victim.

Their own leaders, always fearful of Yoruba 'troublemaking' signaling the end of Nigeria, will themselves crack down on Northern vendetta Hawks shortly.

I don't see this lasting beyond the next 10 days even as I personally hope it does so the North can learn a crucial lesson that the South is the best thing about Nigeria right now. The North would be no better than Mali, Chad, Niger, Burkina Faso or Sudan but for the South.

How many Fulanis do you see flying around in private jets and owning vast fortunes in nations like Mali, Sudan, Niger, Chad etal as is their reality in Nigeria courtesy of their affiliation with the South under "one Nigeria" ?

3 Likes

Re: Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" by Nobody: 11:54am On Feb 28, 2021
BastardWike:
All I'm seeing here is coward predictions. The North is threatening the entire SW with starvation, whether real or imagined yet all you guys are spewing here are rubbish about how things will eventually return to normal shocked shocked

Don't you have anything to threaten back with? Why allow them getaway with such insult without reciprocating in kind?

No wonder they have no atom of regard for you all in that part of the country.

The tag cowards is actually true and you guys will never gain their respect if you continue like this cry cry

Lol. The IPOBian is in painment. You Igbos will always be twisted up inside because of your hatred for Yorubas. Are the North threatening food supply to the SW only? Have they told you they will supply the SE and SS with food to only boycott the SW? Mumu.

Even at times like this we can trust that the primordial hate Igbos have in their heart for Yorubas will cloud their sense of right and wrong.

Most Yorubas can now see through Igbo and IPOB obsession with provoking the Yorubas into helping them end the "Zoo". We saw it with #EndSARS and learnt lessons.

Even if the blockade of food is targeted at SW alone then leave us to address it how we see fit. Enjoy your food from the North and shut your mouth about how the SW should respond. Not your business.

You boasted and bragged about ESN and "Igbos handling their business". What is the fate of ESN today after una initial gra gra and chest-beating?

2 Likes

Re: Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" by Emempaul(m): 12:09pm On Feb 28, 2021
the truth is whether in one week or 3 months, Nigerians will always be Nigerians.

At first it will shock the south for some days, if it still lingers then the wise and business oriented ones will find ways to exploit the situation for their profit in week 2.

by week 3 if the north still persist on having a united front by boycotting the south, then it's open ball game for smugglers to move in and bridge the gap of supply against the demand.

By week 5 shud the North be moving thing across the border to other parts of Africa as they boast, then they effectively handed free reign to the smugglers to become the new merchants of the supply trade of foodstuffs to the south creating new millionaires

By week 6 and 7, there will be discordance amongst the ranks in the northern traders union with some licking their wounds and swallowing their pride to come back and trade in the south by which time they have lost substantial market share to the new merchants who are on cash and carry basis with cheaper product from across the border

By week 10 all will be back to normal but with a seed down in the heart of the south that they are too dependent on the north. Either through conscious effort or private funds or just plain will, the south with drift back to agriculture and away from the dependency of the north. They literally just shot themselves on the foot with this display of gloating

That is if the presidency by Wednesday or Thursday, after seeing the projection are against their kinsmen, do not, through back door means go and pamper them and dole out hard earned billions of cash from the taxes you and I pay to some entitled set of people who feel they can hold the country to ransom through their food boycott and come out and say nothing was paid to avoid backlash. Just negotiation with empty mouth saved the day.

well what do I know. just thinking out loud

3 Likes

Re: Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" by Etrusen(m): 12:10pm On Feb 28, 2021
Ojiofor:

But both the sea and land border is in direct control of Northerners.

says who?
Re: Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" by Blue3k(m): 12:15pm On Feb 28, 2021
Emempaul:

By week 10 all will be back to normal but with a seed down in the heart of the south that they are too dependent on the north. Either through conscious effort or private funds or just plain will, the south with drift back to agriculture and away from the dependency of the north. They literally just shot themselves on the foot with this display of gloating

Is it safe to say you expect 10 weeks?
Re: Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" by Emempaul(m): 12:17pm On Feb 28, 2021
Blue3k:

Is it safe to say you expect 10 weeks?

Yes

That is if no presidencial intervention thru the back door is involved. if not Friday at most

1 Like

Re: Post Predictions About "Northern Food Embargo" by Ojiofor: 12:37pm On Feb 28, 2021
Etrusen:

says who?

Didn't Buhari government closed all land borders in the south since last year?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Alarm;nigerian Soldiers Killed Absu Students, And Tagged Them Ugm / The Implication Of Buhari Statement On 2023 Presidency / Good News - India ‘Overtakes’ Nigeria As World’s Poverty Capital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.