Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:33 AM

Historical Similarities Between Yoruba And Benin, How Ife Beget Benin - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Historical Similarities Between Yoruba And Benin, How Ife Beget Benin (5861 Views)

How Ife People Disgraced Governor Oyetola(pics) / Video Of The Brutal Clash Between Yoruba And Hausa At Ilisan Remo / Don’t Create Tension Between Yoruba, Igbo In Lagos, Sanwo-olu Warns Agbaje (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Historical Similarities Between Yoruba And Benin, How Ife Beget Benin by Ctorch: 9:18am On Mar 07, 2021
Historical Similarities between Yoruba and Benin, How Ife Beget Benin.

Ife and Benin
Magnificent terracotta objects have been found in Nok, in Nigeria, dating back to a period some time between 500 BC and 500 AD. These are the earliest known sculptures on the continent, next to those of Ancient Egypt.

Against this background of creativity and craftsmanship, the Yoruba kingdoms of Benin and Ife sprang up between the 11th and 12th centuries.
Origins

In Yoruba mythology, Ife was founded by a senior deity Oduduwa, acting on the order of the supreme deity Olorun (also known as Oludmare). Oduduwa became the first ruler, or Ooni, of Ife.

We know little of how these early Ooni exercised power or how their territory was administered, or precisely when the kingship started. We know that the landscape out of which Ife (and Benin) emerged consisted of a mixture of tropical forests and savannah land, affording very fertile soil and a high rainfall.

Food and art
One of the keys to understanding the success and wealth of these kingdoms was the ability to provide a significant food surplus. This released labour, which could then be channelled into creating great works of art centred largely on celebrating kingship.
We can still see today an astounding range of objects made of bronze, brass, copper, wood, ceramic and ivory. The superb level of Ife craftsmanship expressed, using the "lost wax" method, is comparable with the finest examples of metal-work in Europe from Classical and Renaissance times.

Historial view
"The art was largely motivated by the culture, the cultural practices of the people. They had to produce certain objects, which they used for certain ritual purposes." - Dr Ohioma Pogoson, historian and lecturer at University of Ibadan, The African Institute, Nigeria

Historial view
"The art of Ife and Benin is so important because one gives birth to the other. The Ife art was the most ancient in the forest region of Nigeria, simply because the Ife civilisation goes as far back as 300 - 500 BC. Therefore, it had developed a lot of artefacts, which marks the history of Ife.
"Ife later gave birth to Benin - Dr Omotoso Eluyemi, director of National Museums and Monuments

Oyo
Ife was at one time considered the most senior Yuruba state. But by the 17th century it was eclipsed by Oyo. Lying further north, Oyo had the military advantage of a cavalry, and the right agricultural conditions to grow cereal. In the 18th century Oyo reached its peak, largely by profits of the slave trade. With the abolition of slavery its power waned. Today Ife continues to be regarded as the spiritual centre for all Yoruba, and the Ooni of Ife has considerable influence in the country.

Benin
The kingship of Benin is closely related to Ife. The first king, or Oba, of Benin is traditionally supposed to be a descendant of Oduduwa, the founder of Ife. The most distinctive examples of Benin craftsmanship are the bronze plaques, which adorned the palace walls. As in the artwork of Ife, the craftsmen of Benin produced bronze and copper heads celebrating the power of the Oba.

The capital of Benin (not to be confused with the modern state of Benin, formerly Dahomey) was south west of Ife. One of the few early written accounts of this centre of power and trade is given by a Portuguese slave trader Joao Afonso Aveiro, who was astounded by what he described as the 'great city of Benin'. Over a hundred years later, a Dutch visitor compared it favourably with Amsterdam. Most of the art was looted by the British in 1897.

Lost wax method
A precise model of the object to be made is constructed out of wax. A mould - usually made out of clay - is then formed round the wax model. This is left to harden. The whole thing is then heated. The wax melts away, hence the expression "lost wax."
This leaves a hollow space in the shape of the model. Molten metal is then poured into this space, filling it completely. When the metal has cooled down and hardened, the mould is broken, leaving the object in its metal form.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/specials/1624_story_of_africa/page86.shtml
Re: Historical Similarities Between Yoruba And Benin, How Ife Beget Benin by Nobody: 9:27am On Mar 07, 2021
My submission is simple
Benin and yorubas are one...case closed.

blood is thicker than water.
Re: Historical Similarities Between Yoruba And Benin, How Ife Beget Benin by Zooposki(f): 10:06am On Mar 07, 2021
Abeg rest. We know Benin Kingdom. What is Ife Kingdom? I’m not even from Edo state. Ife Kingdom ko, Ife Kingdom ni.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Historical Similarities Between Yoruba And Benin, How Ife Beget Benin by Omoluabi1stborn: 10:21am On Mar 07, 2021
Juliusmalema:
My submission is simple

We've rejected each other.

We are not one

1 Like

Re: Historical Similarities Between Yoruba And Benin, How Ife Beget Benin by Omoluabi1stborn: 10:26am On Mar 07, 2021
[s]
Zooposki:
Abeg rest. We know Benin Kingdom. What is Ife Kingdom? I’m not even from Edo state. Ife Kingdom is just Yoruba lies to give themselves a great history. Ife Kingdom ko, Ife Kingdom ni.
[/s]

We have Oyo kingdom, no one mention Ife kingdom.

Oyo kingdom spreads through over 3 countries
Oyo kingdom dialect is the general Yoruba language used in all schools, churches, business and economy
Oyo kingdom spreads through 3 states in South west.

Where is Benin kingdom?
Just in a one kilometer town in one lonely state in south south

3 Likes

Re: Historical Similarities Between Yoruba And Benin, How Ife Beget Benin by Nobody: 10:28am On Mar 07, 2021
Omoluabi1stborn:

We've rejected each other.
We are not one
I am the wrong person to quote with your impersonation and you know that..
Nonsense.
Re: Historical Similarities Between Yoruba And Benin, How Ife Beget Benin by Omoluabi1stborn: 10:29am On Mar 07, 2021

Today Ife continues to be regarded as the spiritual centre for all Yoruba,

Yes correct.
Ife is the Spiritual capital of Yoruba
Oyo is the administrative capital of Yoruba
Ibadan is the military capital of Yoruba.
Re: Historical Similarities Between Yoruba And Benin, How Ife Beget Benin by Omoluabi1stborn: 10:30am On Mar 07, 2021
Juliusmalema:

I am the wrong person to quote with your impersonation and you know that..

Nonsense.
you're not okay.
we dont need Benin and dey don't need us

1 Like

Re: Historical Similarities Between Yoruba And Benin, How Ife Beget Benin by limeta(f): 10:30am On Mar 07, 2021
Juliusmalema:
My submission is simple

we are not one with yorubas
you doing a fulani project on us do not make us one.

1 Like

Re: Historical Similarities Between Yoruba And Benin, How Ife Beget Benin by Nobody: 10:35am On Mar 07, 2021
limeta:

we are not one with yorubas
you doing a fulani project on us do not make us one.

I doubt if you read the piece.

There are truth that can't be subdue. Edo and Yorubas are like two siamese twins.
Re: Historical Similarities Between Yoruba And Benin, How Ife Beget Benin by Nobody: 10:40am On Mar 07, 2021
Omoluabi1stborn:
you're not okay. we dont need Benin and dey don't need us
Re: Historical Similarities Between Yoruba And Benin, How Ife Beget Benin by ladiguy(m): 10:51am On Mar 07, 2021
Omoluabi1stborn:

Oyo kingdom dialect is the general Yoruba language used in all schools, churches, business and economy

Where is Benin kingdom?
Oyo was never a kingdom but an Empire

1 Like

Re: Historical Similarities Between Yoruba And Benin, How Ife Beget Benin by Omoluabi1stborn: 10:55am On Mar 07, 2021
ladiguy:
Oyo was never a kingdom but an Empire

Agreed.
Re: Historical Similarities Between Yoruba And Benin, How Ife Beget Benin by CodeTemplar: 11:02am On Mar 07, 2021
This is time to handle a common problem and not time to talk history that will bring strife.
Re: Historical Similarities Between Yoruba And Benin, How Ife Beget Benin by Zooposki(f): 11:05am On Mar 07, 2021
Omoluabi1stborn:

Where is Benin kingdom?

There are pictures and detailed history of Benin Kingdom. No pictures or details of of Oyo Kingdom, except by Yoruba people. Guy, rest abeg.
Re: Historical Similarities Between Yoruba And Benin, How Ife Beget Benin by chiagozien(m): 11:07am On Mar 07, 2021
I thought the father of all yorubas called Oduduwa fall down from sky?
Re: Historical Similarities Between Yoruba And Benin, How Ife Beget Benin by Lifestone(m): 11:07am On Mar 07, 2021
Omoluabi1stborn:

Where is Benin kingdom?
Before Oyo kingdom, Ife was City State
Re: Historical Similarities Between Yoruba And Benin, How Ife Beget Benin by Lifestone(m): 11:08am On Mar 07, 2021
Zooposki:

There are pictures and detailed history of Benin Kingdom. No pictures or details of of Oyo Kingdom, except by Yoruba people. Guy, rest abeg.
You didn't even read elementary history
Re: Historical Similarities Between Yoruba And Benin, How Ife Beget Benin by Lifestone(m): 11:11am On Mar 07, 2021
chiagozien:
I thought the father of all yorubas called Afonja fall down from sky?
Oyo empire has been in existence for hundreds of years before Afonja was born
Re: Historical Similarities Between Yoruba And Benin, How Ife Beget Benin by Omoluabi1stborn: 11:11am On Mar 07, 2021
[s]
Zooposki:

[/s]

So says a rivers man cheesy

You truly belong to rivers - water - creek.
You were not enlighten enough.

Get out from your hut
Re: Historical Similarities Between Yoruba And Benin, How Ife Beget Benin by Omoluabi1stborn: 11:13am On Mar 07, 2021
[s]
chiagozien:
I thought the father of all yorubas called Afonja fall down from sky?
[/s]

You'll continue to thought because that's what you were taught in that hut you called school of yours in whatever state you come from cheesy
Re: Historical Similarities Between Yoruba And Benin, How Ife Beget Benin by Zooposki(f): 11:13am On Mar 07, 2021
Omoluabi1stborn:

So says a rivers man cheesy

You truly belong to rivers - water - creek.
You were not enlighten enough.

Get out from your hut

Rivers man, ke? I don’t even know how to swim. Lolz
Re: Historical Similarities Between Yoruba And Benin, How Ife Beget Benin by Omoluabi1stborn: 11:14am On Mar 07, 2021
Zooposki:

Rivers man, ke? I can’t even swim. Lolz

You're either from Delta, Bayelsa or Rivers.

So...?
Re: Historical Similarities Between Yoruba And Benin, How Ife Beget Benin by chiagozien(m): 11:15am On Mar 07, 2021
Lifestone:

Oyo empire has been in existence for hundreds of years before Afonja was born
I mean Oduduwa,did he fall from sky?
Re: Historical Similarities Between Yoruba And Benin, How Ife Beget Benin by goatgoat093: 11:17am On Mar 07, 2021
I thought Oduduwa was a Bini prince?
Re: Historical Similarities Between Yoruba And Benin, How Ife Beget Benin by Omoluabi1stborn: 11:18am On Mar 07, 2021
chiagozien:
I mean Oduduwa,did he fall from sky?

How does oduduwa relates with afonja in the first place.
Why would oduduwa he fall from sky?

Learning other people history won't help you

Why don't you learn yours and be an expert
Re: Historical Similarities Between Yoruba And Benin, How Ife Beget Benin by Zooposki(f): 11:19am On Mar 07, 2021
Re: Historical Similarities Between Yoruba And Benin, How Ife Beget Benin by PHAYOL81: 11:27am On Mar 07, 2021
Op, they are coming for your head. How dare you say Benin took their tradition from a Yorubaland

Benin that they believe was independent of any affiliation except for birthing Onitsha.
Re: Historical Similarities Between Yoruba And Benin, How Ife Beget Benin by Etrusen(m): 12:28pm On Mar 07, 2021
please all my edo brothers this op is looking for what will give him fame on nairaland

Edo cannot be drawn together with mud, please you guys should do well to avoid them

it has become a norm for them to always add Benin to their problem....

but our stand have made know for generations even by the Oba of Benin himself so those calling us revisionist are wasting their time

the truth remain...

Benin has nothing with Yoruba's. the fact that we trade and make deal together does not make us the same so Benin has and will continue to be an independent country to any tribe

please stop this attach by force syndrome of yours please

2 Likes

Re: Historical Similarities Between Yoruba And Benin, How Ife Beget Benin by Nobody: 12:36pm On Mar 07, 2021
PHAYOL81:
Op, they are coming for your head. How dare you say Benin took their tradition from a Yorubaland

Benin that they believe was independent of any affiliation except for birthing Onitsha.

Birth which onitsha?

who dash monkey banana?

bini wey come from oduduwa...

be guided
Re: Historical Similarities Between Yoruba And Benin, How Ife Beget Benin by Nobody: 12:38pm On Mar 07, 2021
Etrusen:
please all my edo brothers this op is looking for what will give him fame on nairaland

Edo cannot be drawn together with mud, please you guys should do well to avoid them

it has become a norm for them to always add Benin to their problem....

but our stand have made know for generations even by the Oba of Benin himself so those calling us revisionist are wasting their time

the truth remain...

Benin has nothing with Yoruba's. the fact that we trade and make deal together does not make us the same so Benin has and will continue to be an independent country to any tribe

please stop this attach by force syndrome of yours please

I doubt if you read the post. face the truth and avoid emotions.

(1) (2) (Reply)

2023: APC Not Pressurizing INEC Chair To Truncate Elections – Keyamo / I’ll Not Be Satisfied Until Insecurity Ends In Nigeria – Tinubu / Problems With Consolidated Banks: Was Soludo A Failure?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.