Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,450 members, 7,819,662 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:08 PM

Osita Osadebe And Oliver De Coque: The Last Igbo Minstrels - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Osita Osadebe And Oliver De Coque: The Last Igbo Minstrels (35521 Views)

Chief Osita Osadebe And Oliver De Coque Who Is The King Of Igbo Highlife / Popular Igbo Traditionalist/Historian Oliver Nwokedi Reveals Secrets About Lagos / Son Of "Oliver De Coque" Thrills Guests At Anambra Cultural Carnival In Finland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osita Osadebe And Oliver De Coque: The Last Igbo Minstrels by Ctorch: 1:17pm On Mar 07, 2021
Osita Osadebe And Oliver De Coque: The last Igbo Minstrel

Music has often been described as food for the soul and I bet you would not put up a fight to that because many a song jolts people into nostalgia and other kinds of feelings. Not solely for the feeling but for the secrets these feelings hold. Music also means different things to different people by playing a role in society as being vital to peoples’ experience and primal to human culture.

The stringing of the guitar in crescendo with the drums and the grand entrance of the trumpet are the popular sounds of highlife music. In the Igbo community, these sounds have been made popular by the likes of Oliver De Coque and Osita Osadebe among others. Through their talent in music, these minstrels used their genre of highlife music to highlight and expand the worldview of the Igbo society. Richly embedded in the traditions of the Igbo people, their songs have been known not only to inform culture, but also to divulge secrets or precepts to life, constantly dishing out advice and commentaries on life’s issues while being a praise singer to the Igbo society home and in the diaspora.

With the invasion of pop music and other aspiring genres of music, the songs of the old like that of Osadebe and Oliver De Coque holds strong in quality and content, offering a greater deal to society of the past and still in the present. These highlife legends were gifted. Guitarist Olive De Coque learnt the mastery of this instrument from a Congolese at a young age, while Osadebe picked his mastery up for his time with the Empire Rhythm Orchestra.

In tune with this, he is known as the Doctor of hypertension because of his musical ability to cajole one with his slow rhythmic vibes; a mellow meditative tempo. This is capped with his Afro Cuban accented bass and percussion borrowing from the Rockers lead lines on electric guitar. With his feel-good music, Osadebe lulls the audience as he dreamily muses, coos, sighs, uses adages, words of wisdom and inspiration. With this, he started the “oyolima” style we know today; a state of tranquillity, relaxation and pleasure.

Long before the 21st-century term “Igbo Amaka” – a phrase that speaks of the appreciation of the Igbo heritage, the Osondi Owendi crooner and his counterparts have since preached these in their songs, always clamouring for unification and community growth of the Igbo people through upliftment and appraisal of the achievements of notable Igbo men and women.

Like the Nigerian artist who follows the steps of social critic, Fela Anikulapo Kuti, the king of Afrobeat who satirically used his songs to radically evokes change politically, and is an emblem to such ideal, this same act with a twist is deployed by Osadebe and Oliver De Coque to nurture better Igbo people and society.

Osadebe, more often than not, chanted in his songs about life and how to navigate in an ever-changing world. Using his songs, he provided a road map to life by unequivocally saying “live in the moment”. An instance is his pioneer with “Peoples Club Odogwu” of 1977.

These feel-good songs of these minstrels do more than just sounds and words but mirror the cultural identity, aspirations, philosophy, history, social and economic system of the eastern part of Nigeria; forming a world view and exposing the rich cultural tradition.

The multiplicity of the function of music cannot be overemphasised having a full impact on people’s feelings and interpretation of events. So the hype, quality and appreciation of their songs are on the premise of cultural principles fused with the instructional properties of the music which therefore serves the dulce et utile. This applies to other non-Igbo societies. Music poses as historical documentation of a particular time in the world and society and these Igbo entertainers through their lyrics envelope it all showcasing through their talents, idioms and philosophical views to life.

https://m.guardian.ng/life/culture-tradition-and-truths-in-the-songs-of-osita-osadebe-and-oliver-de-coque-the-last-igbo-minstrels/

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osita Osadebe And Oliver De Coque: The Last Igbo Minstrels by Nobody: 1:19pm On Mar 07, 2021
Of course they are the last Igbo Minstrels. Nobody I mean nobody has been able to follow the path these Men both in music and it's rhythm..

If there exist any, maybe people should let us know?

The more reasons their music are still been played and admired years after Joining the mother earth because no one has been able to come up with something of such marvelous pattern..

Agbala aka na azo ani- Chief stephen Osita Osadebe

Mmili Malu Ugo, asago Ugo aru- Oliver De Cooque

112 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Osita Osadebe And Oliver De Coque: The Last Igbo Minstrels by majamajic(m): 1:21pm On Mar 07, 2021
U see Shina Peter in Osadebe's face , no DNA needed

5 Likes

Re: Osita Osadebe And Oliver De Coque: The Last Igbo Minstrels by Anigreat: 1:23pm On Mar 07, 2021
shocked

Lolgrin

I am laughing hard here because coincidentally i am jamming one of Oliver De Coque biggest hit "Identity"
on my system now, then i stumbled on this post as i was scrolling through nairaland.

Although i do enjoy Oliver De Coque music More than Osita Osadebe, but the truth is, those two men are LEGENDS, though they're gone, but their music makes them live on.

108 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Osita Osadebe And Oliver De Coque: The Last Igbo Minstrels by RedSquid: 1:23pm On Mar 07, 2021
Osadebe nor be human being abeg you

Aaye n wen bo de wen

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osita Osadebe And Oliver De Coque: The Last Igbo Minstrels by Nobody: 1:26pm On Mar 07, 2021
RedSquid:
Osadebe nor be human being abeg you

Aaye n wen bo de wen
He is now a spirit....long joined his ancestors.

5 Likes

Re: Osita Osadebe And Oliver De Coque: The Last Igbo Minstrels by Nobody: 1:37pm On Mar 07, 2021
Anigreat:
shocked

Lolgrin

I am laughing hard here because coincidentally i am jamming one of Oliva Decoque biggest hit "Identity"
now on my system , then i saw this post.

Although i do enjoy Oliva De Coque music More than Osita Osadebe, but the truth is that they are both LEGENDS.

If I am musically inclined, I would been Osadebe and Oliver dissolved in one to keep the ministry of faith moving.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Osita Osadebe And Oliver De Coque: The Last Igbo Minstrels by alfasexy: 1:43pm On Mar 07, 2021
Those days we had no larger choices than these 2 and they were highly promoted, hyped up and there was a rivalry between them which I believe they cultivated that made fans of one hate the music of the other and vice versa.

Today, there are a plethora of equally gifted or better artists but the environment is different.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osita Osadebe And Oliver De Coque: The Last Igbo Minstrels by Shellsploit: 5:51pm On Mar 07, 2021
grin
Re: Osita Osadebe And Oliver De Coque: The Last Igbo Minstrels by Nobody: 5:52pm On Mar 07, 2021
Osita osadebe and Oliver de conque never travelled much in their lifetime but their kinsmen, mainly traders took them far and wide. If you know nothing about Igbo tradition in Jos you must know ebiri kan biri

67 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Osita Osadebe And Oliver De Coque: The Last Igbo Minstrels by Bampeh: 5:52pm On Mar 07, 2021
Highlife died when these Legends died

Bampeh would like to listen to their music

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osita Osadebe And Oliver De Coque: The Last Igbo Minstrels by Shellsploit: 5:53pm On Mar 07, 2021
Only real legends listen to this classic songs.
Quote me if am wrong!

Nwanem ebesina on replay wink

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osita Osadebe And Oliver De Coque: The Last Igbo Minstrels by adonnii(f): 5:53pm On Mar 07, 2021
Chief Osita Osadebe to me he
is the best, my all time favourites of his are:
1. Nwanem Ebezina
2. Yoba Chukwu
3. Osondi Owendi
4. Ozubulu Brothers.

2 Likes

Re: Osita Osadebe And Oliver De Coque: The Last Igbo Minstrels by JohnBullMySon: 5:53pm On Mar 07, 2021
Juliusmalema:
Of course they are the last Igbo Minstrels. Nobody I mean nobody has been able to follow the path these Men both in music and it's rhythm..

If there exist any, maybe people should let us know?

The more reasons their musics are still been played and admired years after Joining the mother earth because no one has been able to come up with something of such marvelous pattern..

Agbala aka na azo ani- Chief stephen Osita Osadebe

Mmili Malu Ugo, asago Ugo aru- Oliver De Cooque

lalasticlala
what of sir warrior?

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osita Osadebe And Oliver De Coque: The Last Igbo Minstrels by Duru9(m): 5:54pm On Mar 07, 2021
Osa Nkwa
The greatest

Rest on

7 Likes

Re: Osita Osadebe And Oliver De Coque: The Last Igbo Minstrels by softRay(m): 5:54pm On Mar 07, 2021
OK

1 Like

Re: Osita Osadebe And Oliver De Coque: The Last Igbo Minstrels by blinking001(m): 5:54pm On Mar 07, 2021
Great men....Igbo Amaka grin

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osita Osadebe And Oliver De Coque: The Last Igbo Minstrels by franchasng: 5:54pm On Mar 07, 2021
cool
Re: Osita Osadebe And Oliver De Coque: The Last Igbo Minstrels by smile11s(m): 5:55pm On Mar 07, 2021
I still listen to them while I work from home everyday. Music for the mind and spirit. Super relaxing

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osita Osadebe And Oliver De Coque: The Last Igbo Minstrels by Nobody: 5:55pm On Mar 07, 2021
adonnii:
down in the east some local joints still play there musics

It is played everywhere. Avoid been a sadist. Wedding and all celebrations still enjoy their musical prowess.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osita Osadebe And Oliver De Coque: The Last Igbo Minstrels by akeeng: 5:56pm On Mar 07, 2021
Who are they? Never heard their names

2 Likes

Re: Osita Osadebe And Oliver De Coque: The Last Igbo Minstrels by free2ryhme: 5:56pm On Mar 07, 2021
Re: Osita Osadebe And Oliver De Coque: The Last Igbo Minstrels by Thecvbankng: 5:56pm On Mar 07, 2021
Osadebe
Oliver de coque
Oriental Brothers

The gods of Igbo Highlife Music. Their songs remain the most played in the Eastern part of Nigeria for that genre. Of worthy mentioning Is Morocco Maduka too

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osita Osadebe And Oliver De Coque: The Last Igbo Minstrels by Alababoys: 5:57pm On Mar 07, 2021
i am anti ipob visit alaba boys.com to listen to listen to music from all Nigeria Legends....One love
Re: Osita Osadebe And Oliver De Coque: The Last Igbo Minstrels by visijo(m): 5:57pm On Mar 07, 2021
Dem don finally show me where dem de see this money � � oo...

Now my body don calm �� I no do !! Thank you very much sire

��‍♂️��‍♂️��‍♂️
Re: Osita Osadebe And Oliver De Coque: The Last Igbo Minstrels by Penboy: 5:57pm On Mar 07, 2021
World greatest

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Do Boa Snakes Have Diamonds? / Photos From Isiokpo Bicycle Carnival, Rivers State / Meaning Of The Five Lines On A Palm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.